It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: None
I may be off base with this, but, reading through the tea leaves:

Heard TB hint earlier this week about a possible Score shake-up, maybe a host being let go. Then, during today's transition with LH and ZZ, he started talking them up, mentioning something to the effect of, "There might be a bright future for you two at this station." Boers also made mention of how he was consulted about some Score inside business and had to "tell all the truth," as he saw it. And Bernstein made a crack about how this firing, I'm assuming, was supposed to happen yesterday, and that they'd have to bring in security to get this person out, "dragging and screaming." So, who could this person be?

Well, since they were, in effect, pushing Laurence and Zack for a time slot, I can only imagine it's one of the hosts before B & B. a) I don't think it'd be North for some obvious reasons, b) Why would Mully be brought out dragging and screaming? and c) That leaves Murph--it's well known that most, or all, of the on-air Score talent hold this man in contempt, so wouldn't they naturally be salivating at the prospect of him being let go uncerimoniously, and wouldn't he be the one to go out dragging and screaming?

Just a thought...but wouldn't it be funny if this were to happen?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Fixed Glee wrote:
I may be off base with this, but, reading through the tea leaves:

Heard TB hint earlier this week about a possible Score shake-up, maybe a host being let go. Then, during today's transition with LH and ZZ, he started talking them up, mentioning something to the effect of, "There might be a bright future for you two at this station." Boers also made mention of how he was consulted about some Score inside business and had to "tell all the truth," as he saw it. And Bernstein made a crack about how this firing, I'm assuming, was supposed to happen yesterday, and that they'd have to bring in security to get this person out, "dragging and screaming." So, who could this person be?

Well, since they were, in effect, pushing Laurence and Zack for a time slot, I can only imagine it's one of the hosts before B & B. a) I don't think it'd be North for some obvious reasons, b) Why would Mully be brought out dragging and screaming? and c) That leaves Murph--it's well known that most, or all, of the on-air Score talent hold this man in contempt, so wouldn't they naturally be salivating at the prospect of him being let go uncerimoniously, and wouldn't he be the one to go out dragging and screaming?

Just a thought...but wouldn't it be funny if this were to happen?

Very interesting. God knows that if he did get the boot ESPN 1000 wouldn't take him nor woul they need him. Hell, with his Cubs Love I wouldn't be surprised if WGN found a way to work him in, but he rips on Cubs management too much. I guess there'd really be no place for Smurph to go...except to Rockford, ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:06 pm 

I hate for someone to lose their job but this is long overdue. He wouldn't change with the times. I guess he can always say he did it his way. That will be must listen radio. I hope they give him a chance to do a final show unlike they did when they didn't renew Jiggs contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

I do believe that Murph's contract is coming up soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dynasty wrote:
I hate for someone to lose their job but this is long overdue. He wouldn't change with the times. I guess he can always say he did it his way. That will be must listen radio. I hope they give him a chance to do a final show unlike they did when they didn't renew Jiggs contract.

In all seriousness, I don't find any joy in someone losing their job either, unless it was The OG...thats just damn funny. OK, back to the seriousness side of this. Do you really think you could give a guy like Murph one last show when he knows he is going to get canned? He just seems like the guy who doesn't know when not to talk about something he shouldn't be. I think he'd rip the Score on-air until they dragged him out...kicking and screaming

Last edited by Woodridge Ryan on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:17 pm 

Was he on the air today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Punky Brewski wrote:
I do believe that Murph's contract is coming up soon...

How soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: None
Apparently they have already given Murph more than one last show (if, in fact, he is being let go)...I heard something today from Bernstein to the effect of "this was supposed to happen yesterday (Wednesday) already," and that this was well-known to them in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 pm 

Did his show sound normal today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

His picture his still on the score web site. They have a big promo ad on the front page saying that Murph will be at some wrigleyville bar for the opener. Tough to believe they would advertise a remote if they had plans on canning him. But this is radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dynasty wrote:

If by normal you mean whiny and unlistenable, then yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:41 pm 

Punky Brewski wrote:
Dynasty wrote:

If by normal you mean whiny and unlistenable, then yes.

That's what I was talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Were the remotes booked/planned since the schedule came out?

Yet another B&B inside joke. Dern it you rascals!

Maybe Murph is moving into the radio museum NBC coughed up some bank for.

I thought old-timey radio was timeless.

"How can I miss you if you don't go away?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

I for one always thought Murf was a smart baseball guy. Many of you disagree but he really does know his baseball. I did think that he grew angry and bitter these past two years. There is no doubt that he is not liked by staffers there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Free at last, free at last, God almighty we are free at last!!!

Let's do it for Johnny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dynasty wrote:

Nas/Dyna (whatever your name is today), does Murph ever sound normal? But, yes, it was a normal Murphapalooza today; "What's Your Beef" and Cubs talk.

This hypothesis is hard to believe. Let's flash back to another big sports talk firing that came as no big shock, the Huge one, Bill Simonson. He was not given a farewell show because anyone with half a brain could figure out it would be a bash fest from start to finish. PD at the time of Simonson's dismissal, Mitch Rosen.

Jiggs, on the other hand, technically was not fired, just not renewed, a slight difference. Plus, Jiggs is a classy dude, has been from day one, so allowing him a farewell was a low-risk proposition.

I think Murph would go out with all guns blazing, I doubt Mitch would allow him to do that. I thought that Murph signed a new deal not too long ago, but I couldn't find anything to confirm that supposition on the net. I'm sure Murph's not making boatloads of dough, so it's possible station could just buy him out and not lose too much.

One possible scenario is Mitch offered Murph the chance to finish out the week, do the Cubs Opening Day remote and bow out. If Murph does anything to break the spirit of their accord, the midday guys could do 4 hours tomorrow.

I also couldn't see the Me and ZZ show getting that 12-2 slot, I would think Mully middays would go for 4 hours instead of 2. One rumor I heard was that Mulligan and Murph were supposed to get the 10-2 slot before the on air fireworks happened between them. But, then again, its Mitch and WSCR, so anything can happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
As much as I would be for remvoing Murph, replacing him with ZZ and LH? God i hope not. If you remove Murph its time to expand the Mully show to 4 hours.

Let's also not jump the gun, a rumor that he is going to be out soon has been floated for the better part of two years on this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
I for one always thought Murf was a smart baseball guy. Many of you disagree but he really does know his baseball. I did think that he grew angry and bitter these past two years. There is no doubt that he is not liked by staffers there.

He knows a LOT about Cubs baseball, he couldn't give a shit less about the other 29 teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

I agree he talks mostly Cubs. But he does have good angles at times just breaking down the game in general. He talks more Sox then people say. Majority is Cubs but to say he never talks Sox would be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
How about this, at the end of hockey season...

Murph and Rogers evenings the Sox aren't on.

I am now putting the gun to the temple.

Oh man, I forgot to say I PREDICT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

If you can't believe rumors on message boards then what can you believe in. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

donspiracy wrote:
Oh man, I forgot to say I PREDICT.

Say it like you mean it.....give it to me Nate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:10 pm 

Lebron James's Hummer wrote:
Let's flash back to another big sports talk firing that came as no big shock, the Huge one, Bill Simonson. He was not given a farewell show because anyone with half a brain could figure out it would be a bash fest from start to finish. PD at the time of Simonson's dismissal, Mitch Rosen.

Mitch could have just called the guys from around US Cellular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

If the plan is to replace Murph with Holmes and ZZ, it's ill conceived. The end result will still be the same: CLICK.

I also agree this may be a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. Another case of B&B floating a red herring for their own amusement. I'll believe it when I see the yellow pad on the street outside the NBC tower.

Let's do it for Johnny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

If he does get canned tomorrow I can picture a slumped over Murph sitting at Bernie's (just a long foul ball down the left field line). Budweiser in his hand bitching to the bartender about how he was screwed. Boys, you should all go down there to console him. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:17 am 
1000 CLUB

I usually listen to Murph, yeah it's majority Cubs talk, but I don't think too many Sox fans even bother to listen/call in anyways. I like that he takes fans/opposing opinions and isn't afraid to call people out, even if it's his favorite team. It does become annoying some times, definately not the worst of the Score though.

His drops get stuck in my head, and they sometimes pop up randomly in my head. I had a weird smile in class when 'that's no gooda' popped in my head. And 'Iiiii Preeedicct'. Also find the whole McF-A-I-L thing hilarious, especially when he was mad about with an update guy and did the clown horn sound byte with his voice while he was all serious/mad about the Cubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:57 am 

Just a couple points, even if you despise Murph, hoping for him to be replaced by Holmes or ZZ is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Secondly, why would any manager seek the opinion of the disengaged and eternally grumpy Boers for his opinion of talent. It would be a case of who he hates the least.

I remember people writing about Murph getting let go even as he was signing a new contract about a year and a half ago. Meanwhile it has been reported that the guy has continued to post solid ratings. I understand that many of you do not like his show but have some perspective. You do not get rid of a guy who has at least 6 months left on a contract and produces for the organization.

As for me, well you know my feelings. I was able to listen to the show a few times last week and I still like Murph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Just a couple points, even if you despise Murph, hoping for him to be replaced by Holmes or ZZ is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Secondly, why would any manager seek the opinion of the disengaged and eternally grumpy Boers for his opinion of talent. It would be a case of who he hates the least.

I remember people writing about Murph getting let go even as he was signing a new contract about a year and a half ago. Meanwhile it has been reported that the guy has continued to post solid ratings. I understand that many of you do not like his show but have some perspective. You do not get rid of a guy who has at least 6 months left on a contract and produces for the organization.
As for me, well you know my feelings. I was able to listen to the show a few times last week and I still like Murph.

A couple of great points I might add.

And what manger worth a damn would tell other employees that he was going to fire a co-worker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:04 am 
1000 CLUB

What type of people would hint at a fireing on the air. B&B ofcourse. Maybe Murph is an abrassive guy. But I won't get on him for treating B&B like crap cuz those guys dish it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:44 pm 

IT HAD BETTER NOT BE JESSE