All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jay M
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:25 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Any love for him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Bigfan, I was wondering if there was a section on the website dedicated to 'local reporters'.

Jay Marriotti = The top of my "PAY NO MIND" LIST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

From a grammatical sense, Jay is an exceptional writer.

The problem is his opinion is VERY biased. He will take a shot at Reinsdorf at ANY opportunity.

Pretty stupid when you think about it.

The man is the best owner Chicago has EVER had in my lifetime.

7 Championships since 1990.

How many other championships has Chicago won that Reinsdorf hasn't had a hand in the past 40 years?

The Bears
The Sting
The Rush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Dan's Pizza, Downers Grove
He's a hive whacker and doesn't deserve the time for the read. His sole job is to become water cooler discussion—good or bad. He thinks he is more important in the Chicago media than he really is. He's a sports heretic just for the sake of it, and offers nothing to the Chicago sports scene.

In the entire 2005 White Sock season-end push, he struggled to compliment the team or the management only after they had hoisted the final trophy. Until that point, it was "sky is falling" pabulum and incendiary remarks, cautioning every Sox fan that we should all expect the worst.

Ozzie, Kenny and Jerry would be best served by ignoring him, like most everyone else does.

Last edited by Hawkism on Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I like him too. I think the people who hate him take him too seriously, especially sports organizations or athletes.

Most of his opinions in his column I find pretty accurate. Ya, he may go 180 on you the next week, but he is the only guy in town who has the balls to critize ballclubs. He's right when he says that the media in Chicago is soft which it is.

Nationally, the dude is probably at the his popularity peak. The ESPN show he does brings him good pub and the suntimes good pub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
"HawaiiYou" Most of his opinions in his column I find pretty accurate. Ya, he may go 180 on you the next week, but he is the only guy in town who has the balls to critize ballclubs.

Opinions are ALWAYS 'pretty accurate' if you don't change them a few days later.

An opinion is a strong belief.

How the hell can he have a 'pretty accurate opinion' if he changes it a few days later?

What the fuck are you talkin' about?

Jay has a continuing vendetta against Reinsdorf that came in loud and clear when he was criticizing Reinsdorf/K-Williams during the whole Mags Ordonez contract saga - and he REALLY showed his true colors when he scolded then ESPNAM1000 co-host Marc Silverman when Silvy called him on something. "Who are YOU to question me?" Kind of made me wish that the grammar school kids that beat up Bill Simonson would take out Marriotti as well.

Listen to sports radio anytime if you want to hear people criticize ballclubs. Jay is by NO MEANS the only one.

Jay Mariotti is a self-promoting pompous windbag. It came as no surprise to this casual observer when Jay didn't get promoted to Cold Pizza, as did his former show-mate from Around the Horn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:53 am 

I rarely if ever read his column. I don't believe for a second that he holds the opinions that he puts to paper. The opinions are simply meant to incite. If I don't read them, they don't incite me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:35 am 

Bottom line here is that he is paid to be interesting. As long as he stirs things up, is mentioned all the time by the Sox broadcasters, has guys starting threads like these, makes the news, etc, he will be paid and paid hansomly, I'm sure. He's a boob, but he does his job - he creates discussion and emotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:15 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i generally don't read his columns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_co ... tis_y.html

He's a joke. Don't read him at all, but sounds like he makes a living off of trying to go after the popular figures in town, create controversey.

And the fact that he won't go in the clubhouse and has to rely on the other reporters' questions and quotes tells me enough about this douchebag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Also read on WSI that he's supposed to replace Bob Ryan after he retires in Boston. One douchebag can replace another

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:08 pm 

I am not a fan, but with the way Ozzie and the White Sox have treated this guys and others I know about, I am not surprised this happened, just surprised that it took this long for someone to point out how thinned skinned Ozzie is.

Seems like to me that its ok for Ozzie to say whatever he wants about anyone or any team, but the minute someone outside the Whitesox says something about them, its not ok and they are verbally attacked. Just a opinion, but from what I have heard, Ozzie is somewhat of a child, great Manager, just not someone I would want running any part of my company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
This site pretty much sums up my thoughts:

http://www.jaythejoke.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Jay is the Ann Coulter of Sports. I dont think he believes what he's writing but it creates a buzz and I know the Sun-Times loves that. I bet suntimes.com has increased big time in views the past week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Jay's daddy felt compelled to defend his little guy by writing in to a Pittsburgh newspaper:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 59533.html

I now dislike two generations of Mariottis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

I honestly don't know how he continues to have a job - he offers nothing in the sports landscape, and solely exists to piss people off. Every time I buy the Sun-Times, I attempt to read what Moronotti wrote that day just to see if I can make it through. That I can remember, I have never made it through the first column of the article - it is filled with half-truths, embellishments, and outright lies. The very fact he continues to waste valuable oxygen belies me.

The thing that really gets me is that him having an excuse to be on national shows, a topic of discussion in every paper, talk show, and forum in the country is his wet dream; he has been creaming for this day his entire life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm 

He is the definition of a muckracker.

Its not like he has any integrity, credence of belief to that what he writes; the sole purpose is to get people talking. He does that very well. I just ignore him.

He is a total pussy for not going into the clubhouses to show his fat Eddie Munster face in front of those that he rips on in the paper. If he gets attacked and beat down in a clubhouse, he can write 30 columns about it and collect on a massive lawsuit. If he did that, I may acquire a modicum of respect for him. Alas, he doesnt go in to those situations, so I have no respect for him.

He used to go to River Shannon for drinks on occasion. I saw him in there and told him to go back to Detroit (this was in like 96).

Hes just another 5 cent head writing for a paper that is written at the 7th grade level.

later
Sabu

Last edited by sabu on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Dan's Pizza, Downers Grove
Found this link in Teddy's recent column...

http://jaythejoke.com

GREAT reading in there—all of it accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:02 pm 

LOL at that article, Killer V. Nice find!

"Freedom of speech is a precious right afford by the First Amendment of the Constitution. It seems to me that Jay Mariotti's "freedom of speech" is violated here,"

Oh mercy! This just further affirms my belief that 99.9% of people who claim that their free speech is being violated have no idea what the First Amendment is all about.

"... when he is viciously attacked with slurs and innuendo, by one who becomes violent, when he, himself, becomes the subject of a person being out of control. "

WTF does that mean??? :shock:

"Jay has been a lone voice in the Chicago media for 15 years now."

I have no idea what that means or where he's going with that. :?

"I believe in my heart that it's not always what Jay writes that infuriates some, including many in the Chicago media. "

and....? Then, what is it? Did he lose his train of thought, like Frank Costanza celebrating Festivus?

"Jay's strength is his courage of conviction."

LOL!!!!! :D :D :D

"How do I know all this? I'm Jay's father. "

And all this time, Jay thought Darth Vader was his father.

Post subject: JAY AND BIAS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:57 pm 

Beef Rockmore wrote:
From a grammatical sense, Jay is an exceptional writer.

The problem is his opinion is VERY biased. He will take a shot at Reinsdorf at ANY opportunity.
IT Seems to me that Jay has surrvived all these years with beating a few opinions to death.He feels he should go unchallanged day after day without meeting or discussing things with the one he is dissing.Besides REINSDORF many others can be called to mind.He beat up on Joey Meyer day after day too.

Pretty stupid when you think about it.

The man is the best owner Chicago has EVER had in my lifetime.

7 Championships since 1990.

How many other championships has Chicago won that Reinsdorf hasn't had a hand in the past 40 years?

The Bears
The Sting
The Rush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:57 pm 

I say there are 4 major sports columnists(Mariotti,Telander,Morrissey, and Downey) in Chicago, 5 if you count Rozner, but Mariotti is the best, excluding Rozner. Why, he is the only relevant one, do you talk about the great column from Downey, of course not.