It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teddy Gets Personal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:22 pm 

from Greenstein in today's Trib. any print/broadcast insiders care to comment on Kiley's behavior?

"Mike Kiley probably would term this "shoddy speculation," but the longtime Cubs beat writer for the Sun-Times is out of a job at the paper, and sources say the cause was expense-account irregularity.
"I can confirm that he no longer works for us," Sun-Times Sports Editor Stu Courtney said. "But beyond that, it's a personnel matter I can't comment on."
Kiley also wrote for the Tribune during his long career. He filed his last Cubs-related story on July 19, then he was reassigned to cover the Sky.
Kiley, who declined to respond to phone messages and e-mails left for him, gained attention over the years on sports-talk radio for his close relationships with Sammy Sosa and Cubs general manager Jim Hendry. Among his fellow sportswriters, Kiley was known as the knockdown king. Beat him on a story and he would go ballistic, although only in print.
Example: After a game on Sept. 20, 2001, Cubs reliever Tom Gordon told the Daily Southtown's Jeff Vorva and me that his right elbow was so sore, he couldn't throw his curveball during a bullpen session.
With Gordon saying, "I have to make a good decision because I don't want to hurt my team and I don't want to hurt myself," I wrote he might shut down for the season, which had less than two weeks remaining.
The next day Kiley described that as "shoddy speculation" and wrote of "unfounded reports." The following day he called the Gordon report "completely inaccurate" and a "false representation" of the situation.
Gordon didn't pitch again that season.
Putting it kindly, Kiley was a fierce competitor. He also had a nose for hot stories, and the Sun-Times' sports pages will be blander without him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:18 pm 

I had no respect for Kiley, but in an odd way I respect hin for ripping off the Sun-times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:48 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
cashew azumah wrote:
I had no respect for Kiley, but in an odd way I respect hin for ripping off the Sun-times

This is saying something, but that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:52 pm 

ok, I agree that came out really dumb, but I use to think he had no balls, but it takes some balls to take money from the Sun-Times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Is the issue he falsfied some expense reports or wote some checks for a Mike Price like night?

PAY TO: Local News Interns