It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Way to go Teddy!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:17 am 
1000 CLUB

From today's Tribune:

Quote:
Three and out

Final requests/rants from a guy who's heading back to the college football beat. Ed Sherman will serve your media needs for the next six months:

Will ESPN please spike its silly "SportsCenter Championship Series" already? No one wants to hear analysts debate make-believe playoff games. I love college football yet can't even watch. Use those three minutes every day to feature actual players from the teams.

Will Ed Farmer let Chris Singleton speak? For example, when the Sox's rookie radio analyst recently tried to make a point about umpires calling out batters on checked swings, he referred to the Tom Cruise movie "Minority Report."

"Didn't see that one," Farmer said. Then Farmer stepped on Singleton before he could explain the analogy. Let him breathe, Ed.

Comcast SportsNet hasn't been around long, but we already take it for granted. No doubt the network adds to our viewing experience with live postgame press conferences and "SportsNite." But its highlight packages often fail to go beyond the superficial.

Example: Tuesday night's Cubs-Phillies game. With two outs, Aramis Ramirez at the plate and the Cubs trailing by three runs in the seventh, Ryan Theriot got gunned down trying to steal third. Not only was it a key play, it perfectly symbolized a team lacking in baseball sense.

But CSN didn't show it. Also it didn't show Juan Pierre getting picked off. And, for that matter, it didn't show White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe dropping a routine popup a day after Ozzie Guillen had questioned his intensity.

Viewers shouldn't have to turn to ESPN for its Sox and Cubs highlights, right?

Nice job Teddy, its nice to see a media critic be critical with facts to back himself up. Too bad we don't get this more often.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060824teddy,1,5055672.column?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:37 am 
1000 CLUB

Teddy is an in-house shill for the Trib. He uses the mask of a "media critic" column to criticize the competition, but not Trib properties. When he criticizes the Trib or Trib broadcasters, then I'll begin to consider him a real critic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Coast, where are you getting that from? I can't think of any particular instances where this would be the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Cmon. How can a company employee get away with criticising the company in the company paper? It won't make it past the editors desk anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

With the exception of the Dusty lynching comment, I don't know of any specific instance that Teddy should be faulted for. That's why I asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

You want examples. Here are two...A few weeks ago, the Trib made a horrible mistake in identifying the wrong Eddie Johnson as being arrested of child rape. The next day, the editor McGrath wrote the lamest of apologies. That will be a case study in J-Schools as to how not to acknowledge a mistake of that kind. Teddy was silent. A real sports media critic would have taken the paper to task for the original mistake and the lame half apology. Or think about how many times Teddy has criticized any of the Cubs announcers. I think the number is zero. Ron Santo might be the worst broadcaster in baseball history. The guy makes more mistakes in one game than Farmer or Singleton make in a week. Teddy is quick to criticize the Sox announcers....where are the critiques of Lord Ronny?

If the reason Teddy doesn't criticize his own company's work is because his editors won't let him and they control what he writes, then fine. I understand the politics and career protection that may be involved. Just don't call him a real media critic then. For once I agree with Mariotti, who a week or so ago called Teddy's work "self-serving" in that he is quick to criticize others, but not in his own house. Far be it from me to defend Mariotti, but you have to give him credit for one thing...he did criticize the Sun Times editors when he thought they deserved it. The guy calls it as he sees it, regardless of who is signing the paycheck.

Mariotti's not alone on this. MJH have criticized various ESPN programs on Critics at XL. Even the Trib's own media critic Phil Rosenthal has provided honest critiques of Trib executives in their ongoing handling of their shareholder dispute with the Chandler family.

Criticizing one's own is part and parcel of being a real pro...which is why in my world, Teddy doesn't make the grade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:04 pm 

Still

Farmer and Hawk, Treat DJ and Singlio like crap

Bad Bad listens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Ya think Teddy is listening right now ?

<ยบ)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way