It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: does anyone remember...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 pm 

when dusty baker was hired murph hosted a special show with him at maggianos? he was happy to have baker then. how times change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:12 pm 

that was before we found out dusty sucks. but it is the players that ultimately matter. girardi wouldn't be able to do much with these scrubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:02 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
When or why was Dusty a great manager? I don't pay much attention to baseball but I always found it odd that San Francisco fired him the year they went to the world series. It seemed like a big red flag to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:23 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Thank you Nas. At the time I always thought there has to be something wrong if a team he coached to the world series didn't want him. What were his reasons for not wanting to return?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: grimaldis
Nastradamus wrote:
Why does every manager suck once they get here? Dusty was great before he came here and even better the 1st year. After the NLCS he became the worst manager in the history of baseball to Cub fans. That's a big 180. What happens if the Cubs go another 30 years without back to back winning seasons then who should we blame then? The same fans who support Girardi getting hired will be the same ones saying he should be fired if the Cubs have a bad season. I really believe only a crazy guy like Ozzie can handle the pressure because he doesn't know any better. Dusty was fine until the expectations grew in 2004.

most fans and local media applauded the decision to bring in dusty as the cubs manager and he had a good year in 2003. in 2004 the expectations were high as they should have been. dusty managed his team poorly in 2004. the whole stone/caray flap was a joke. dusty should have told his players not to worry about commentary and worry about their play on the field, but instead dusty used it as an excuse to poor play down the stretch. sticking with hawkins as the closer, patterson as leadoff man, whining about injuries, just a couple reasons why dusty needs to GO.
if girardi or just about anybody else managed this team this year, i think the cubs would be better than 25 games under .500. plus we wouldn't have to hear dusty whine about pretty much everthing under the sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:57 pm 

Nastradamus wrote:
Deacon that excuse of "if we had another manager we would have won X amount of games more this year." I say that is BULLSHIT. Most people thought this team would be terrible and that is with all the guys coming back. How does a guy that has 10 winning seasons and 3X's manager of the year become a terrible manager overnight? What changed from 2003 to 2006? Heath and a huge roster turnover. Don't give me that bullshit about Girardi or any other manager. Pinella bitched when he was in Tampa and he had a lot of top prospects. Girardi isn't working with the same young players either. He has other organizations top prospects that were for the most part ML ready. Which Cubs prospect has proven he is a ML star?

dusty does not hold anyone accountable, himself included. that is his problem. how can you defend a manager who blames the team's announcers for losing ? dusty's attitude is what has changed. in 2003 he said why not us. 2006 he basically says it's not my fault because i don't have the players. if he had some balls and held players accountable and didn't whine and bitch the past 2 seasons, more people would be behind him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:28 pm 

Nastradamus wrote:
He didn't say "THE ANNOUNCERS ARE THE REASON WE LOST." That idea all came from sports radio. This was really the only year the Cubs didn't compete even with all the injuries. I don't get why people say he doesn't hold his player accountable just because we don't see it on tv. They do have a locker room. No matter what you say about him none of his teams have ever quit on him. I agree he does whine too much but I think a lot of that is defending himself from all the criticism. You would have thought the Cubs had some great managers before Dusty got here the way the fans reacted.

nas,

when merker and alou started bitching about stone/caray, dusty agreed with them instead of telling them to focus on baseball. what other manager would have done this ? the cubs have gotten worse each year that dusty has been manager. look at the fundamentals of this team. isn't that part of dusty's job ? i'm not a big fan of ozzie's, but at least he admits when he does a wrong move and also gets in a players face when they don't hustle. remember ramirez getting thrown out at third because he was standing at home watching his ball and then realized it wasn't a homer and tried to get to third ? instead of ripping him, dusty just said he hustled at the wrong time. PLEASE defend this comment. which is only one of many stupid statements dusty has thrust upon us over 4 yrs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Nas, did Dusty hold Perez accountable for his bunt with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning?
At least he didn't to the media.
He's a walking excuse machine, and I'm tired of his act.
The reason people are whining so much this year is because the NL is so mediocre. All this team had to do was stay around .500 and playoff talk would be in the air.
I don't blame Dusty for all of the problems this season, but he really hasn't managed. He hasn't adapted -- he's just made excuses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Nas, I think you're on an island with this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
He just hasn't shown the ability to adapt in critical situations.
Remember his Giants blew a 3-2 lead to the Angels in the World Series, and they had the lead in Game 6.
We all know what happened in Game 6 of the NLCS in 2003.
Their maddening slide at the end of 2004 was almost like that of the 1964 Phillies.
How about this year when D Lee went down. No one took charge of that team. He just whined about injuries.
I think he was a good manager, now he's just become an excuse machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:12 pm 

too writey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:26 pm 

dusty was forced out of sanfran! the fans couldnt stand him there, they even told bernsie when dusty was hired that he was horrible, but we had to ride it out and see.

he turned out to be just that, actually he is a horrible man, not just manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
IkeSouth wrote:
dusty was forced out of sanfran! the fans couldnt stand him there, they even told bernsie when dusty was hired that he was horrible, but we had to ride it out and see.

he turned out to be just that, actually he is a horrible man, not just manager.

What makes him a horrible man Ike?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nastradamus wrote:
What changed from 2003 to 2006?

The talent and performance of the teams changed and he is too stuck in his ways to do anything about it. The laid-back approach may have worked with the 2003 team and his SF teams, but this team is different. It's not working, so he needs to use a different approach with this team. Good managers are flexible in their methods and adapt to the situations as they change. He either is too slow to realize it or just too stuck to his style to change. Dusty appears to not have the interest or fire necessary to motivate bad players. He's always appeared to prefer veterans over young guys and now that he's stuck with a low-talent team, he doesn't know how to handle it. He talks like a guy who is resigned to his fate and doesn't seem to care much about anything. He speaks in such a blase fashion to the media, like a roboton going through the motions. His players hear it, see it and read it. How could Dusty's approach be anything but uninspiring with a losing team? When you're winning it's cool. When you're losing, it's uninspiring and out of place. That's his style and he isn't changing, even though it isn't working with this team. It's his failure to adapt that makes him a bad manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:52 am 

Nastradamus wrote:
I still say no one could have won with all the injuries the Cubs had in the last couple of years.

Yes, but I have a hard time believing that a decent manager couldn't have kept the 2004 team from imploding and at least a playoff appearance out of that Cub team

As for the last two seasons, I see the Cubs growing more reliant on guys who don't believe in the idea of the baseclogging walk... well, outside of Todd Walker, who Dusty had to be dragged kicking and screaming to give him regular playing time. Let alone playing Todd Hollandsworth over Matt Murton last season among other questionable decisions.

I don't think it's a matter of winning everything (which Dusty has never done either btw)... but it's a matter of being in the thick of it until the end... which the Cubs are 1 for 4 in the Dusty Baker years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:37 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Rothschild still hasn't been able to develop any of the Cubs prized arms. I blame Hendry and Rotschild more than Dusty

You have identified a major Dusty failure yourself. Rothschild's failure is Dusty's responsbility. Part of a manager's most important responsibilities is making sure his coaches are doing their job. If for no other reason, Dusty has failed because he should have recognized this and canned his pitching coach long ago. Not only are his pitchers failing, but they are getting injured repeatedly because of bad mechanics. I recognize Wood's mechanics were bad pre-Rothschild, but he should have fixed them. Prior's mechanics were good; now they're not and he has recurring shoulder problems. So many fans have given up on Prior, thinking he's somehow a weak person, when perhaps the real problem is the coaching staff that has gotten him into bad mechanics that screw up his arm and shoulder. Watch the Cubs give up on him and trade him to a team with a sound pitching coach and voila, his arm and shoulder will be sound again. Wouldn't it make more sense to bring that kind of coach to the Cubs? Rather than give up on Prior, they should give up on Dusty and Rothschild. We've seen their act and it's not working.