It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:06 pm 

Justin Craig (according to Larz's message board.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Justin Time didn't get it? What about Justin Case?

from the ABC gang:

Justin Craig, an eight-year veteran of ESPN Radio Network in Bristol, Ct. has been named Program Director for ABC-owned ESPN AM 1000 (WMVP-AM) in Chicago, it was announced today by station President and General Manager Jim Pastor.
Craig, Program Director for ESPN Radio’s weekend and evening programming since 2005, will be responsible for overseeing all programming and promotions at ESPN 1000.
Previously, Craig, who joined ESPN Radio in 1998 as a Technical Director, had been producer for ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike in the Morning show (6-10 a.m. ET) carried by 325 affiliates.
“Justin’s success in shaping programs like Mike & Mike and others for ESPN Radio makes him the ideal PD for ESPN AM 1000,” said Pastor. “He brings a tireless work ethic and a passion for sports radio that will serve the station and our listeners well.”
A graduate of St. Bonaventure University in Olean, New York, Mr. Craig spent five years as the Assistant Head Coach for the school’s Division 1 volleyball team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Well, that's settled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
I'm sure he will bring what was learned in those 5 years as an assistant volleyball coach to the station, what an add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Anyone wonder how this could effect a change in the ESPN 1000 lineup or things that are said/not said on air anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

I fear the worst with this new PD... hoping that the "ESPNization" doesn't get worse.

Mac said if the station wants to carry the ESPN in their name, they have to air so much network programming.

One has to wonder, is it really worth having ESPN as your title if the ratings continue to fall because no one likes the ESPN national crap?

Ditch Mike and Mike, Patrick, and the rest, rename the station to MVP1000 or Sports1000 and compete with The Score damnit.

Wish it were that easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

ESPN didn't buy the station to not carry its own brand or programming. That won't happen unless they sell it. But who would buy it other than another national network (Fox Sports Radio, Sporting News Radio, etc.) that you guys wouldn't like either? Operating as an independent without a sports network and national brand behind it was tried once on the AM 1000 frequency, wasn't it? And wasn't it a colossal failure in the 90s trying to compete vs. the CBS-backed Score? Who exactly would invest in such an idea? And besides, with all the dissing of local hosts on this board, there appears to be hardly enough talent in this town to fill one station with quality local programming for 12 hours a day, let alone two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Coast2Coast wrote:
ESPN didn't buy the station to not carry its own brand or programming. That won't happen unless they sell it. But who would buy it other than another national network (Fox Sports Radio, Sporting News Radio, etc.) that you guys wouldn't like either? Operating as an independent without a sports network and national brand behind it was tried once on the AM 1000 frequency, wasn't it? And wasn't it a colossal failure in the 90s trying to compete vs. the CBS-backed Score? Who exactly would invest in such an idea? And besides, with all the dissing of local hosts on this board, there appears to be hardly enough talent in this town to fill one station with quality local programming for 12 hours a day, let alone two.

I think a local line-up 5a-7p on AM1000 M-F might be able to compete vs. The Score. They could play GameDay and Gamenight all weekend long and I don't think it would have much impact on the M-F ratings.

Unforunately, you are correct. I don't think anyone would be interested in buying WMVP and running it as an independent sports station.

I don't remember the old AM1000 back in the 1990's. They didn't have a Mac, Jurko and Harry show back then that carried the station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
What was wrong with throwing Adam a promotion? The guy busted his ass for the station, helped make MJH what it is now.

That sounds like a triple-step promotion to me. Maybe that kind of thing is done in your industry for rising stars, but I don't see that kind of career leap handed out in too many industries. Seems there is a natural career progression in the radio industry for PD types (and isn't Matt Fishman on that career track now?)....from large market producer to small market PD to mid-market PD to large market PD. Maybe Adam simply needs to work his way up the career ladder by delivering results in positions of increasing responsibility. In due time perhaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 pm 

Contempt wrote:
Coast2Coast wrote:
. They didn't have a Mac, Jurko and Harry show back then that carried the station.

Harry has always been there. I think he is the only employee who has been at the station since its inception.

The station featured great shows like Harry and Spike as well as Huge and Lou back in those days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
good dolphin wrote:
Contempt wrote:
Coast2Coast wrote:
. They didn't have a Mac, Jurko and Harry show back then that carried the station.

Harry has always been there. I think he is the only employee who has been at the station since its inception.

The station featured great shows like Harry and Spike as well as Huge and Lou back in those days.

Dolphin,
Do you remember the Lance McAlister & Van Lier show? I thought McAlister was good, but Stormin' was just bizarre. I heard him threaten to "come through the phone" at a caller more than once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Doesn't he run some Male Weight Loss Clinic or some shit?