It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Murph
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:35 pm 

For all the crap this guy takes, he is one of the few who works his ass off to get ready for his show. He is there early working on all aspects of his show and those who work with him, he just expects them to put in the same effort, but people like Boers and Mulligan just cant stand it. Mulligan should take note of his effort, because if you ever are out City circle plaza, look around 10 minutes before the show starts or during breaks and there he will be wandering around like the boob he is. The guy puts no effort into his show, he pops in at 9:55 and leaves at noon.

Boers isnt even worth the time to talk about, all you need to do is listen to "his" show and that should explain it all. Its not to hard to tell everyone that you know everything and hate everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:36 pm 

Love it; reveal yourself XScoreGuy...you're quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:40 pm 

Mully a boob? He and Hanley are the two smartest guys on the Score. Interested to hear otherwise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
XGuy your observations on Murph are right on. He is one of the most prepared hosts on the radio. The interview he did today with Paul Sullivan was good radio. I know many here don't like Murph for a whole host of reasons, but he is well prepared and takes his job seriously. Which is more than I can say for some at WSCR.

Pad, you can be smart and still be unprepared. But Mully is not a boob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've always said Murph was a decent listen when it comes to baseball. He does prepare and it come across. Pappy just wings it and does a simple show with stupid arguments. He'll beat stupidity to death and go home. Mully doesn't seem to take radio serious. He values his Sun Times job it seems but his Score show just is a cake walk side job it seems. Roll in 5 minutes before the show, wing it, and pick up a decent check for 10 hours of work a week. Mully just strikes me as a jolly happy- go- lucky guy. Even as a Bears reporter he doesn't write anything interesting. He just fills space. He's just a big Bears fan that gets to go to the games for free and hang around Bears players. That seems like a thrill to him. Boers is just a long winded "kill time" type of host.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't love Murph. He's very good at baseball as we all know. I'm saying that as a Sox fan too. Alot of Sox fans hate him. I've described him as decent because he lacks knollege of other sports. But still I think he get's good guests on to help him with football and baseball. I just don't like Hood Nas. What can I say. We all have our likes and dislikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
I've always said Murph was a decent listen when it comes to baseball. He does prepare and it come across. Pappy just wings it and does a simple show with stupid arguments. He'll beat stupidity to death and go home. Mully doesn't seem to take radio serious. He values his Sun Times job it seems but his Score show just is a cake walk side job it seems. Roll in 5 minutes before the show, wing it, and pick up a decent check for 10 hours of work a week. Mully just strikes me as a jolly happy- go- lucky guy. Even as a Bears reporter he doesn't write anything interesting. He just fills space. He's just a big Bears fan that gets to go to the games for free and hang around Bears players. That seems like a thrill to him. Boers is just a long winded "kill time" type of host.

I look forward to reading Mulligan's columns every day. I find him interesting, and a must read NFL column each day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I've switched to Mulligan & Hanley. I agree they never seem unprepared. I would rather listen to Carmen & Silvy but they are a 1000X better than Salisbury & Rosenbloom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yep that's me. You got me I'm a racist. LOL.

Ya know I'll take your word on Mulligan's columns. I'll admit I stopped reading him like 5 years ago. I just look at the Headline and it seems like I'm about to read obvious stuff. Just filler if you will. I rarely read any columns by our Chicago writers anymore. I just look for the quotes in their columns to read what the players are saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:05 am 

pizza_Place: Bona Pizza in Lombard
Too bad his preparedness does not transform his show from the horsecrap that it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:08 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Nas. wrote:
Looks like he was right. I said these things about Benson. Just noticed I picked the Bears to win the division last year too.

http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... ight=#2749

Nas,
A true prophet never takes credit for his prescience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:06 pm 

Mulligan knows football, but try and listen to him when he talks baseball and other sports, he knows nothing. He is a lazy ass when it comes to t he radio show, I dont about his column gig, but since he is buddies with Bernisie and Boers, he is allowed to get away with it as long as he kiss their ass and never disagrees with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:29 pm 

i like muggy a lot, but i wonder how much time you can devote to a show when you're a beat reporter. maybe the idea is that he and hanley just show up and spill their guts about what they've been covering.

murph, tho definitely not a reporter, has all kinds of bits and running features (some might call them lame) that he's put time into developing.

muggy and hanley still sound good, imo. i like how they talk to opposing team beat reporters for the football season. maybe it helps it's only a two-hour gig. other columnists/talking heads have obviously suffered when trying the balancing act (telander, salisbury)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:32 pm 

I never said I didnt Likes Brian and Mike, I just said I dont like the way Mulligan treats this gig like play time. He needs to realize there are people who work there and depend on their paycheck. He acts like it doesnt matter. Thats my gripe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:33 pm 

i dig, XSG. that's a legitimate gripe in anybody's book. i work with people like that, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hanley has awful one liners and I stil cant think of one thing that Mully has made a good point on. He seems un-interested some days and sounds depressed at times. When he would do a show telling people to walk him off the Sox ledge, it was pathetic, your their to break it down Mike, not the callers. I still pick upthe score, but now I have different ESPN, at least Mully and Hanley are better then Collin Cowherd(sp?), guy is the worst. But I had never really listened to Rome, he's on here live, and I think the guy is hillarious at times, he never really talks sports though.

And what the fuck has happened at the Sun Times. I used to read it everyday and I would pick up the Trib if it was lying on the El. But damn, Roeper, Steinberg, DeRo and Mully have become so damn lame. I pretty much only read the Trib now and skim the suntimes.com. Don Peirson makes Mully look like the hack he's turned into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:14 pm 

Well there's some uncharacteristic spice toward others. I think the punctuation in your name as brought your game up a step, Nas..

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Someone I know at the station who is somewhat important behind the scenes at the CBS radio stations. During the summer, he made a comment to me about Mulli and Hanley. I will try to paraphrase what he said as best as I can.

They are journalists, not radio people. They don't use the controls much, don't have to watch their audio levels when speaking into the mic, because someone on the other side of the glass does it for them.

He wasn't dissing them by saying they are bad at the radio. He was just pointing out that they are simply journalists who have a few hours of radio time a day.

Having said that, I like their show and I think Mulli can hold his own even with other sports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I love Mully and Hanley. I would say it's close to being my favorite Score show. (Insert tallest midget joke here).

Mr. Reason, I have to disagree with you on the Paul Sullivan interview.

This turned into what every Murph interview turns into: Murph's long winded questions followed up by a 20 to 30 second answer. He restates his questions three different ways which makes me want to scream "Ask your question and shut the hell up".

Murph needs to realize that the point of an interview isn't to try and make himself look smart with a wordy question.