It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:07 pm 

I heard it was for misusing a press pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

you are correct my friend / it was a julie swika press pass turned in to jorge offman who then tattled to spaceball jeff schwartz who then tattled to mr anne maxfield harvey wells who then fired les / it's no small wonder that harvey didn't hire annie right away to replace les / he just waited until north said it was ok!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:55 pm 

So Grobstein gave Julie Swieca's press pass to another person and that gave the station an excuse to fire him just prior to the end of his contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:05 pm 

Brother go back and scour old threads...this all has been dissected numerous times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:53 pm 

I did a search on the board and basically Grobstein said that the press pass thing was just a cover for the station really wanting to fire him. RIP Grobber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:36 pm 

I have no inside knowledge on the Grobber thing, such as whether it really was a press pass issue or that was either a complete story or convenient pretext.

However, I can back up the general claim that it is a very serious ethical breach in the media. I worked at a Chicago TV station for three years, and the one thing one did not screw with was media access credentials. Since 9/11, it has become even more so and can lead to criminal prosecution, depending on circumstances.

There is also a context issue; if Fran Spielman of the S-T were to forget her press pass at a City Hall presser, she would almost certainly be known to the guard checking credentials, and could be let in. More celebrity-driven events (rock concerts, events featuring US Presidents, major league post-seasons and all-star games) are bombarded with one-off credential requests and talking your way in there (or using a fraudulent pass) is a MAJOR no-no.

My 2 cents (worth 1.9 cents American).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Years later Les struggles still to understand that you don't abuse a press credential and it's NOT OK to use Swieca's identity for your gal pal to attend the MLB All-Star game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 am 

OK,, There are 3 ways to answer this(for the 1000th time--or more!). The very long way which I'll have in my Book in the future,,,the medium length version,,,and the rather short one which I'll put here!

***There WAS NO Credential violation.. If there was,, Major League Baseball would not credential me for the World Series or Allstar Game and I have been at All since 2001 and will be again this year!! That was an excuse by Harvey Wells(the then GM) who just wanted me out of there.

***Wells never wanted me hired in the first place in 1997,but guys like North,Gleason and Ofman DID want me there and I was hired above his objections! He never wanted local overnight shows. He tried to find reasons to get me out of there several times in the interim,,,and once Gleason was gone in Mar 2001,,,Wells found his 'excuse' in July 2001. Ted Cox even called that reason 'a ruse' in his Daily Herald column.

***North said on the air several times that I was 'screwed'. Of course he now work's with Wells Wife.Nothing against her,she had nothing to do with this.

***That extra Credential was used for a legit reason to get Post Game tape from that 2001 AS Game from Maggs,Lieber and Sosa(the 3 Chi Players)since I had to do my overnite show about 20 miles from Safeco Field and did not have time to get tape). MLB approved THAT USE of that pass. Jeff Schwartz(acting PD) knew of that. He was helpless however and had to keep his mouth shut. Wells was going to get rid of me and nobody could stop that. He even did it while 'Pappy' was on Vacation!!

***This kind of stuff is NOT unusual in this business--it happens ALL THE TIME! You take the good with the bad. Why Wells did'nt like me,I have no idea,,,I was always repectful towrds him,,,only he knows.

Yes,,THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION,,,,just wait for the long one,,down the road,,,it's much jucier! As for that Reporter who's name was on the pass,,we are talking about someone who was NOT a team player,,who was selfish,,,and who is OUT OF THE BUSINESS. Someone I was always nice to,,but who was nasty to most people. That's all I'm saying on that!!!

To use a favorite Dan MacNeil line,,,,,,'I APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING'!!!

LES

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

grobber33 wrote:
OK,, There are 3 ways to answer this(for the 1000th time--or more!). The very long way which I'll have in my Book in the future,,,the medium length version,,,and the rather short one which I'll put here!

***There WAS NO Credential violation.. If there was,, Major League Baseball would not credential me for the World Series or Allstar Game and I have been at All since 2001 and will be again this year!! That was an excuse by Harvey Wells(the then GM) who just wanted me out of there.

***Wells never wanted me hired in the first place in 1997,but guys like North,Gleason and Ofman DID want me there and I was hired above his objections! He never wanted local overnight shows. He tried to find reasons to get me out of there several times in the interim,,,and once Gleason was gone in Mar 2001,,,Wells found his 'excuse' in July 2001. Ted Cox even called that reason 'a ruse' in his Daily Herald column.

***North said on the air several times that I was 'screwed'. Of course he now work's with Wells Wife.Nothing against her,she had nothing to do with this.

***That extra Credential was used for a legit reason to get Post Game tape from that 2001 AS Game from Maggs,Lieber and Sosa(the 3 Chi Players)since I had to do my overnite show about 20 miles from Safeco Field and did not have time to get tape). MLB approved THAT USE of that pass. Jeff Schwartz(acting PD) knew of that. He was helpless however and had to keep his mouth shut. Wells was going to get rid of me and nobody could stop that. He even did it while 'Pappy' was on Vacation!!

***This kind of stuff is NOT unusual in this business--it happens ALL THE TIME! You take the good with the bad. Why Wells did'nt like me,I have no idea,,,I was always repectful towrds him,,,only he knows.

Yes,,THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION,,,,just wait for the long one,,down the road,,,it's much jucier! As for that Reporter who's name was on the pass,,we are talking about someone who was NOT a team player,,who was selfish,,,and who is OUT OF THE BUSINESS. Someone I was always nice to,,but who was nasty to most people. That's all I'm saying on that!!!

LES

Les:

You and I always got along well. But in any world, including the post 9/11 one, you had no right to help someone use Swieca's identity.

Period.

End of story.

Not looking for an apology at all. Perhaps admitting the mistake could lead to end of your banishment from the local airwaves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

grobber33 wrote:

LES

Les:

You and I have always got along well. But in any world, including the post 9/11 one, you had no right to help someone use Swieca's identity.

Period.

End of story.

Not looking for an apology at all. Perhaps admitting the mistake could lead to end of your banishment from the local airwaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thanks for your story, Les. Don't be a stranger. You have fans here.

I find it interesting that you describe Jeff Schwartz' role as "he was helpless however and had to keep his mouth shut". That's some kind of manager who doesn't stick up for the truth or his people. Since then, we've witnessed how he was helpless to fix the Mac vs. Harry squabble and then the way he abandoned his guys at ESPN. Put all this together and we're getting a clearer picture of Spaceball as a manager.

It's almost college hoops season, Les. Maybe at some point you can weigh in with us on whether this will be the first year in many that DePaul has a better team than Illinois?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Coast - What are your projections for Illinois this season ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:49 pm 

First up,,this was JULY 2001---that was PRE 9/11 and there were no Photo I-D's. Second,,,Major League Baseball said it was not necessery to change the name on the pass(of course today they WOULD change the name)so KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!! Understand,that there's alot of 'STUFF' involved here that most know nothing about.

And,yes,,I get along with most,,why not you as well!!!

One last thing,,,,Who said I even WANT back on the local airwaves? I'm pretty happy with my National stuff that I've been doing for over 30 years,,and I'm part of the fairly new www.yoursportsfan.com and I have some TV stuff as well. I have some good Friends and Pals at both WSCR and WMVP but I dont miss all the BS that goes on behind the sceans or having to deal with Upper Management types. I'll sit back and remember my 4 1/2 yrs at the Score as a lot of Fun despite people like the GM who always wanted to do things the lazy way---just turn on the 'Bird' at night,,,and that's what they do now while most of us put on CD's or FM!!

LES[/quote]

Les:

You and I have always got along well. But in any world, including the post 9/11 one, you had no right to help someone use Swieca's identity.

Period.

End of story.

Not looking for an apology at all. Perhaps admitting the mistake could lead to end of your banishment from the local airwaves.[/quote]

Last edited by grobber33 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:04 pm 

Coach Crapowski wrote:
Les, are you serious about the book? Is it an idea, a bad joke, or a work in progress?

We started it,,but my Co-Author(Bob Logan) passed away in January. I have another great writer that may come aboard,,,but we're taking it slow. So I guess it's a work in progress. If I decide to go ALL OUT,,,and do a 'kiss and tell''it would be non liable since it would all be the TRUTH,,but there would be some folks who would never talk to me again!!! Gosh,,that's a shame huh???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

Book title suggestions for Grobber

--Grobber: A man, a press pass, and a divorce lawyer

--Grobber: Awww what the hell, will you marry me? Tales of the 3 that said yes...and then no.

--Grobber: Another man whining about the 69 Cubs. We almost won it. Blah, blah, blah

--Grobber: Me and my microphone. Plus stories about my radio career.

--Grobber: The man in the press box. Hey that food is free right?

--Grobber: Me and the monkey. Stories of my friendship with Mike North.

--Grobber: That bitch got me fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:40 pm 

And you're a BEAR Fan?? You sound like a PACKER fan to me!!!

And BTW,,Press Box Food has not been free for some ten years!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:13 pm 

I am very proud of Les - we are hammering him here & yet he shows up & takes it like a man - unlike some WSCR hosts I know!
Also, at the risk of venturing into some very dangerous territory here, I've heard 2 versions of why Les has been married 3 times:
1. He's an expert cocksman
2. He's hung like Milton Berle.
EOM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Thank's Les, don't be a stranger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:43 pm 

Kevin Walker wrote:
I am very proud of Les - we are hammering him here & yet he shows up & takes it like a man - unlike some WSCR hosts I know!
Also, at the risk of venturing into some very dangerous territory here, I've heard 2 versions of why Les has been married 3 times:
1. He's an expert cocksman
2. He's hung like Milton Berle.
EOM

Les Grobstein: Talk Incessently and Carry a Big Stick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:44 pm 

Great to hear from you Les, would love to hear you on the air on a regular basis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:45 am 

Channel ABC7 after the Bears game at exactly 11:11 - I think I saw the Grobber walk behind Ryan somebody live from Arizona. He suddenly looks older. Big dark rim glasses, bad hair, frumpy, like Columbo. Was that him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:05 am 

Did he have a free hot dog stuck in each pocket of the coat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:05 am 
1000 CLUB

You guys crack me up.

I'm 38 and I remember Les from ages ago. IS he like 70 now? I find Les a little annoying (please dont sue me for slander Les) but I respect his passion. I can honestly say Les knew more about everything in Sports than anyone. He belongs on the air. Hell, I'd rather hear him on the morning drive.

Can you picture it?

"Good Morning Chicago! This is the Grobber with my co-host, Annie Maxfield."

I love it.

Les! Lets get a beer sometime and talk UIC hoops!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 am 

Mr. Belvidere wrote:
You guys crack me up.

I'm 38 and I remember Les from ages ago. IS he like 70 now? !

I remember Les from his Lujak days. Even though that was a long time ago, I think Les is only in his early 50s. I have never thought of Les as a young man, but he had to be in his 20's when Lujak threatened to break Garry's leg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:41 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
You guys crack me up.

I'm 38 and I remember Les from ages ago. IS he like 70 now? !

I remember Les from his Lujak days. Even though that was a long time ago, I think Les is only in his early 50s. I have never thought of Les as a young man, but he had to be in his 20's when Lujak threatened to break Garry's leg.

Very Good,,,,Dolphin! I'm 54. My Son,,who was Born the day I did my FIRST in studio show with Lujack,turned 27 today(Oct 18). Sometimes,I feel like I'm 18,,,then when I take 'Redeyes' like I did back from Phoenix the other night(after the Bears game),I feel like I'm 90!.
Oh well, I could have felt like Dennis Green,,right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:17 am 

Les, do you get a little money for every time your Elia tape is used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:07 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Les, do you get a little money for every time your Elia tape is used?

Elia THINKS I did,,but no,I did'nt get penny one for that damn tape. I should have! Had I marketed it back in 1983,,,I'd likely OWN the Score today with the Bread I could have pulled in! Things would have been a whole lot different!!! There sure would'nt be any National crap on there!!
Ohhhhh for a Dr.Emitt Brown Delorian!!