It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHIRP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:39 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
http://chirpradio.org/

Anyone ever listen to this? Basically just a college radio station without a college or a radio station*. Pretty good music selection, but the execution leaves a little to be desired. Sometimes I can hear a fan running in the studio. :/

*I do see, however, that they finally got a license for a low-power FM signal, so look for CHIRP to hit the airwaves within about a two-mile radius of the Irving Park Brown Line station.

EDIT: rough estimate of coverage

107.1 on your radio dial, eventually. It's too bad they can't get down into Wicker Park. I am glad, though, that the FCC has this community radio initiative. Maybe the future of radio is a bunch of community stations with shitty signals, who knows.

Post subject: Re: CHIRP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:43 am 

I may be able to get the signal depending on where I am in the neighboghood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
my train goes through that area for about 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I think if I hold my radio out my window I am in the coverage area.

Why is it too bad they can't get into Wicker Park? The hipsters have fled Wicker Park.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:58 am 

Larz is on it:

Quote:
The station is requesting to construct a transmitter atop the building that current houses their studios, located at 4045 N. Rockwell Street, found just off of Bell Plaine Avenue and across from Horner Park on Chicago's north side. The proposed transmitter would have effective radiated power of 100 watts and would be broadcasting from a height of only 179 meters (approximately 587 feet). The signal should be heard strong for approximately a three mile radius around the transmitter. It would be heard throughout much of the northern part of Chicago.

With its low height, there is no chance that the CHIRP broadcast on 107.1 FM would interfere with far suburban stations WSPY-FM 107.1 and WZVN-FM 107.1. However, there is a chance that there could be a few sections (blocks) within Chicago that could have slight interference for WPPN-FM 106.7 and WGCI-FM 107.5. This problem may have to be addressed.

Yeah, lot of GCI listeners in Ravenswood.

I'm trying to think of stations that are only two intervals apart and can't think of many. You can pick up 97.5 out of Rockford in some of the suburbs, but that's not a Chicago station, obviously. There's also a 97.5 in Chicago now, but I think that's a low-power translator much like CHIRP's would be.

Could a low-power, community-based CSFMB Radio be far off? We can cover Wrigleyville and Las Vegas!

Telegram Sam wrote:
Why is it too bad they can't get into Wicker Park? The hipsters have fled Wicker Park.

I know, but you still might want the yuppies there now, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
from what i can tell from CH's map they'll get logan square, which is where a good portion of hipsters/yuppies reside/hang/etc. if you're down there at milwaukee and kedzie you'll see that hybrid (as hipsters are essentially just yuppies who want street/artistic cred)

i like the way that they have a very modern way of displaying their playlists (complete with like 5 links to either tweet about the song or buy it from amazon or something) but it does amuse me when i see what certain djs played on their last show and they have comsense and kanye listed as LOCAL ARTISTS.

i'm going to see if they have something rap or electronic on there cuz then i'll give it a shot. my brother was amazed to tell me HE HEARD APHEX TWIN ON SIRIUS RADIO!!!! and it was that sirius XMU channel (no doubt with syro getting all of the props/praise/love drukQs should have gotten) and when i turned it on in the car i got a run the jewels track. not bad!

wake me up when CHIRP has something that can scratch CH's post-kraftwek itch tho. nice and obscure and from 1985 just for you CH!

goddamn i need a fucking radio show. i'd be more fun than autechre playing captain beefhart on john peel. or something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:38 am 

ok because of this station i have found out that somebody has gone out and made something called Aphex Swift in the last month or two.

this is sacrilegious.... this isn't even brilliant. i mean it's just defacing a brilliant song with taylor swift... and when it comes to music defacement hey man that's one of my things (that i totally nicked from the JAMs/KLF granted) but holy shit they're making me look brilliant for my emotional joystick mashup.... fuck ill have to rip that for you lot.

SERIOUSLY YOU Caller Bobs THIS IS NOT FUNNY CLEVER OR INTERESTING. YOU'RE JUST PLAYING TAYLOR SWIFT OVER APHEX TWIN. HAVE A POINT PLZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:00 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
i'm going to see if they have something rap or electronic on there cuz then i'll give it a shot.

I think at one time they had some electronic specialty shows, but I don't see them on the schedule now. I could be confusing them with Loyola's station, which CHIRP is sort of the MSFMB of.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:08 am 

and hey in the name of being a thread-highjacking Caller Bob who wants to show at least he's an authority on the mashup thing.... here's that one mashup i talk about where i took some 25 cent record called "the sensual woman" or something and slapped it together with emotional joystick's "eight" and made 2 points: 1) IDM is wankoff music and 2) notice how the chick is more important than the awesome track rocking out cuz of >MUH SENSUALITY

but of course, hey, if i hadnt largely stayed at home for the last 5 years maybe i could have been out there getting my dumbass mashups played on one of these stations.

but oh well. dave_rees put in the work and now he broadcasts to a 3 mile radius of tens and i'm just bitching on here. c'est la vie as the french in france would say. aphex swift tho.... jesus christ how fuck magnets: how does this work?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:19 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
i'm going to see if they have something rap or electronic on there cuz then i'll give it a shot.

I think at one time they had some electronic specialty shows, but I don't see them on the schedule now. I could be confusing them with Loyola's station, which CHIRP is sort of the MSFMB of.

this chick on now will mix in some rap. she just did jay-z's 100 dollar bills or something off of the gatsby soundtrack and i see the a4mentioned run the jewels so hey indie cred maintained (just like playing one syro song a week and you're set)

man this doesnt scratch WNUR back in the day.... strictly jungle chicago with dj snuggles used to be appointment radio. or that one time around 2006-07 i heard the polysics' mr. psycho psycho on WNUR and you could aim WNURDJ so i was like what the fuck is that?!?! began to investigate polysics and i eventually found their perfect song and ended up catching their last proper tour with the chick on the nord lead 2, who wanted to go off to "do womanly things" like go raise a family or some shit.

but holy fucking shit they rocked the doubledoor. and now that miko or whatever the nordlead2 chick's name is is gone... they're kind of a soulless husk of what they once were (even tho they were hit and mostly miss to be fair) akin to pluxus with solid state and beyond and yeah. i got lucky on that one.

at least if i discover something i like on here lord knows there's 5 links to buy it, one of which is at reckless records and it's like they do that online now? i mean yeah i guess the romance of going into reckless and having them custom order my united acid emirates vinyl is gone as now i can do it with a little icon with a R on it right off of their website.

tho now if i'd have anyone order me a record i'd have mr. starke @ kstarke (western/division right next to the subway) do it cuz he's awesome like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:22 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
1) IDM is wankoff music

Well, then, you know what? I love wanking off!

I went for a swim/run yesterday morning, and "Beauties Can Die" by M83 came on the mp3 player, and it sounded so perfect against the cold air and the bright blue sky around 7:15 a.m. Is M83 IDM? What is? What isn't? I don't know, I just love electronic music that sounds like this.

Great album cover, too. That was a desktop background of mine for about a year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
People arguing over Electronica ... :lol: :puker: ... the kind of conversation that makes you hope ISIS comes gleefully bounding over the distant hills to behead everyone soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 am 

Piss up a rope. Electronic music is awesome. You're just not doing it right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:36 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Great album cover, too. That was a desktop background of mine for about a year.

can't say i know shit about M83 because they're a bit oooh ahhh ambient for my tastes and i've actually turned down a chance to buy the brown vinyl of aphex twin's selected ambient works 2 for $30 at one point (but i didnt miss out on the ventolin 2x12" EP for that much) cuz seriously fuck ambient.

M83 was one of those groups that my old friend tried to wane me off of aphex twin with. kind of like DAT politics.... but hey they have one good song i really like (at least until it starts sucking hard circa 2:35) that's still on youtube somehow but it just never really worked for me as a whole. they seem to have gotten better/poppier in the 2010s tho.

IDM was one of those terms where it was foisted upon me to describe the stuff i was already listening to and it was like "huh? intelligent dance music? are you shitting me?" and as someone who's been into this world since late 94 i can tell you it kind of grew out of that aphex/squarepusher/autechre/boards-of-canada/plaid/warp-records-when-they-kind-of-mattered. and then the inevitable wannabes and whatnot.

it's kind of like that one time i was at the best buy in addison and i wondered where they moved the aphex twin CDs to because they were always right in front of the fiona apple cds in rock/pop and i was like what the fuck? and as robert miles' children played in the background (i bet you like that one, EH? EH? =) i went up and asked the guy and he was like "OH, THAT'S IN THE ELECTRONICA SECTION" and i was literally like "what the fuck is electronica?" and from there that term found its genesis for its temporary time in the pop culture lexicon.... later to be replaced with EDM or whatever the fuck it is now.

hey CH if you wanna have some fun go drop the $40-50 to see skinny puppy front line assembly and haujubb at the vic on dec 9th, if it hasnt sold out already. skinny puppy sold out the vic by themselves back in feb and 2 skinny puppy shows in one calendar year is arguably just as awesome if not more awesome than when squarepusher played here twice in nov 2012 and july 2013. you can do the equivalent of yelling out FREEBIRD by yelling out WORLOCK!!!!!!! while they do their thing.

and front line assembly is a heavyweight. hard wired is the shit. haujobb? 3rd billing?. goddamn. at least it aint VNV nation like it is on other stops (with cEvin key's girlfriend on facebook motherfucking those assholes for ditching shows with SP aready... ha)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 am 

Yeah, M83 got way poppier after Before The Dawn Heals Us. "Midnight City" is basically a New Order song. I still like it a lot, but it's a New Order song. The best M83 qua M83 is when it's just wave after wave of beautiful raw sound, like all of Dead Cities, Red Seas, and Lost Ghosts.

Play this and play it fucking loud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Sausage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:43 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Piss up a rope. Electronic music is awesome. You're just not doing it right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 am 

You know what, Douchebag? You really are a douchebag!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
People arguing over Electronica ... :lol: :puker: ... the kind of conversation that makes you hope ISIS comes gleefully bounding over the distant hills to behead everyone soon.

hey DT if you've never aspired to be in that warehouse danceclub/rave ideal promoted heavily by hollywood movies in the 90s/beyond then you'll have absolutely no use for stuff like this that is perfect menacing background music great for driving and etc

i mean idk yeah there's lots of shit out there don't get me wrong, but when you realize some ~22-23/whatever year old kid did this by himself with a sampler a boss dr220 drum machine some synth and a 4 track tape recorder (cuz he wasn't using a computer yet) back in 1996-97 i mean idk what i can tell you. and electronica as a term, as i inadvertently was posting while you typed that, kind of dates you cuz the term fizzled out in the early 00s as a failed means of commercializing the sound. EDM got there. skrillex plays at the grammys FFS.

ah well TL;DR massive i suppose. that aphex swift stuff just pissed me off because.... seriously why. i think that squarepusher track i just posted needs some ariana grande! im gonna make it big!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:48 am 

I'll recommend this one for Don Tiny. Kiln - "Royal Peppermint Forest" Like the M83 I posted, this one also captures the silent majesty of a winter's morn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 am 

incidentally, for the fanclub: KMFDM made a song in 1993 that addressed your whole viewpoint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
cluv8484 wrote:

Finfer, already hustling.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, M83 got way poppier after Before The Dawn Heals Us. "Midnight City" is basically a New Order song. I still like it a lot, but it's a New Order song. The best M83 qua M83 is when it's just wave after wave of beautiful raw sound, like all of Dead Cities, Red Seas, and Lost Ghosts.

dead cities you say? that was an old future sound of london album! i mean comeon we have explosive was on it!

did you catch that KLF song that's a total take on the pet shop boys in the hockey thread last night? kylie said to jason? funny shit.

wave after wave of beautiful raw sound? hrmmmm. you ever into autechre? at their prime i once said they reminded me of vintage pink floyd cuz there'd be like 32 different sounds slowly evolving/ebb-n-flowing/going somewhere. around 2008 that M83/DAT politics friend tried telling me that people namedropped autechre for indie/hipster cred. and by then autechre was well into their neverending shit period where they stopped deconstructing dance music / hiphop and started deconstructing themselves and it sounded like an electronic bowel movement. which is terrible considering they used to be the essence of IDM and all that back when they rocked.

but yeah if you've got chiastic slide/cichlisuite EPs/LP5/envane/peel session 2 you're pretty much covered on the really good autechre. oh and if you can find some of their shit where they DJ other people's music they're fucking fantastic at that. goddamn where did i put all of those old rare rob brown hiphop mixes? agh. i'm still overjoyed to have found the pluxus live bootlegs on slsk last week. that made my fucking life.

but if people can listen to autechre, say, post confield (affectionately referred to as cornfield) well my hat's off to them cuz they're definitely way more hip than i could ever dream of being.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:05 pm 

oh yeah speaking of autechre SOMEONE PUT THE AECAPELLA UP ON YOUTUBE!!!!! hell yeah!

the original song they're doing can be found here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 pm 

I like Autechre, yes. I found them around the same time I found Aphex Twin because they were cited as influences on Kid A.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:12 pm 

here ya go CH, my favorite boards of canada song ever. it's off of a few old tunes v2 and it's just simple and straightforward and no pretense... i always said of BOC that they were just doing post-hiphop breaks on top of sensible ambient music with LOL WE'RE CULT MEMBERS and stuff, so i never got all of the worship even tho these were the guys who got me turned on to colonel abrams and THANK YOU FOR THAT

i think he's had some "perfect days" like lou reed if you catch my drift, and uhhh i can relate.

otherwise with boards of canada hi scores is the quintessential EP you need. ever fucked with hi scores? you can't go wrong with hi scores.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm 

hahahhaha now here's a fucking mashup done right if you're going to try and appeal to pop music people with music nerds.

but that literally flips the script of aphex swift by playing the "edgier" stuff on the vocal side and putting it over a goofy pop beat.... that's why it works. i mean at least put milkman's lyrics over something poppy or.... oooh i have an idea. and nothing better to do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

welp, in the spirit of the topic of the thread that i kind of ended up railroading/derailing (depending on your point of view) with my whole niche electronic music zealotry, i've been listening to CHIRP all day long and i've got a few observations:

1) that chick on from ~10am-1pm on fridays has pretty good taste about her. she keeps the token rap going and plays some stuff that makes me jot it down (to the standing list of ~100something songs i've written down from radio caprice EBM, EBM radio germany, DI oldschool rave, DI dark drum and bass, etc)

2) it seems like run the jewels is their darling veritably-pop-but-so-totally-indie(-credworthy) rap stuff cuz they play it all the fucking time. it seems just about every dj wants to cover their ass with at least one run the jewels cut in order to say "yeah i like hiphop/rap just fine! ...but the good stuff!" and what is el-p if not the one white rapper/producer/rap-guy that everyone at the watercooler can agree on is way more beneficial to your image than admitting you like eminem when he actually tries to rap (which has actually made somewhat of a comeback since he's undoubtedly a 9 figure guy right now and it doesnt really matter what he does ((see outkast's "hey were gonna get back together and make a proper outkast LP for people who love southernplayaisticadillacmuzik"))) so yeah if you listen to CHIRP all day you're gonna hear some run the jewels.

3) there was an arcade fire song that i actually liked, well with teh caveat being that it's not OMFG PLAY THIS SHIT OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for ~12hrs straight like it was when i first got plaid's rest proof clockwork and heard dang spot and my musical happy place was thusly established, welp, this isnt quite that and it did kind of get a mocking lighter in the air but hey compared to the shit i've been subjected to whenever i'm in a radio-only situation (read: 102.7 92.3, 96.3, 103.5, 101.1, or 107.5 or bust) --- it's called sprawl ii. really hard to dislike cuz of the nice electronic vibe, the undoubtedly-fine chick singing about the sub/urban sprawl who needs the darkness so please someone (shut? check?) the lights.

WE RUN AWAY BUT WE DON'T KNOW WHY. ah yes indeed, this upholds my theory that when you have dancey music in the background lyrics often help but especially if they're nonsense that sounds like they're something profound but you don't quite know exactly what they're about..... why does wish key's orient express come to mind here.

and hey for what it's worth CH i've listened to every track you've suggested in here and then some. if you've got any further recommendations from your area/s of the IDM world i've been too aphexedvexed t check over the years, by all means.... i always need a musical/mp3-player enema so i can fill it up with new stuff i truly love like that wish key - orient express. holy fuck that track is amazing. that synth-hook is pure sex i tell you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 pm 

Yeah, "Sprawl II" is one of my favorite Arcade Fire songs, though it sounds nothing like most of their stuff -- or at least most of their good stuff. The new album is all LCD-y and it's horrid.

The Current does the same token rap thing, though with them it's Atmosphere, for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:18 am 

http://chirpradio.org/search/results/se ... phex+twin/

They seem to be playing cuts off the new album, though not as frequently as they did in October. World keeps turnin'.

http://chirpradio.org/search/results/se ... ain+goats/
Good selection of my guy John Darnielle.