It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1524, 1525, 1526, 1527, 1528, 1529, 1530 ... 1532  Next
 Post subject: Re: Julie DiCaro!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
denisdman wrote:
Well I have no clue why she would block me. I am not wasting time with another account.

dude, you posted here that you were gonna sign up for her newsletter. Then you went and attempted to sign up and were immediately blocked. Do that math, it's not that hard to figure out. Here it is in long form:

1 person says he is going to get the newsletter in a public forum that is monitored by JDC
The JDC newsletter has exactly 1 person trying to sign up for it

Therefore, even JDC could figure out who that one person was. Result= ban.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
And Away We Go!
Nike whiffs again, ESPN doesn't know women watch baseball, and OJ Simpson is still screwing the Goldman Family
Author
Julie DiCaro
April 14, 2024

Hello and welcome to the first edition of Losing My Perspicacity. I’m coming to you from the western Chicago suburbs, where it’s currently sunny and 83 degrees on April 13, for some reason. Global warming aside, I’m thrilled to see you!

How Did It Come to This?
Before we get into the news, I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for taking a moment to check my newsletter out. This will be the last day you’ll be able to access the newsletter without signing up for a premium subscription, and I want to address why. I’m well aware that people (generally) hate paying for content and, anyway, who the hell am I to suggest my writing and opinions are worth $9.99 a month? And don’t think that thought doesn’t keep me awake at night.

But there are a couple of reasons I’m doing it this way. One, the number of jobs available to journalists has shrunk dramatically over the last several years. And with mass layoffs taking place just about every week, the market is flooded with out-of-work journalists competing for the same small number of jobs. Beyond that, as private equity has dug its grubby little claws into media across the board, there seem to be more and more outlets that are focused on “shedding resources” than hiring journalists.

So many job listings these days seek “content creators” rather than reporters or columnists, and so much focus is on bringing in clicks: writing to Google algorithms, turning everything into a slide show, and aggregating news that’s already been reported multiple times elsewhere. I interviewed for one job where I would have been reporting to a “content manager” rather than someone with training and experience in journalism. In the slashing and burning of journalism jobs, editors, you see, were the first to go. Writing for clicks and social media likes is not why anyone I know became a journalist. And in sports journalism, with the death of investigative stalwarts like Real Sports and Outside the Lines, there is almost nowhere to go for journalists who want to practice… well, journalism. So trying to make a go of it on my own seems at least as risky as working for another outlet that may or may not be here a few years down the road. I mean, if Sports Illustrated is teetering, what hope doe the rest of us have?

Finally, if you’ve known me for a while, you know that I’ve been dealing with some pretty toxic online harassment since 2015, and that my trolls are unusually dedicated. They follow me from platform to platform, downvoting and review-bombing every new venture I take up. I suppose if that’s how they want to spend their free time, it’s their decision, but I don’t have the time or the energy to moderate everything in my life. So if they want to insult and harass me in the comments, they’re going to pay $9.99 a month for the privilege.

After today, you’ll have to upgrade to a paid subscription to keep receiving this newsletter, and I hope you’ll consider doing so, though I’ll continue to have free access now and then, I’m just not certain what that will look like. But I did leave Deadspin with a fair amount of open investigations and FOIA requests, and it’s important to me to fill the void of feminist sports coverage. As more and more outlets team up with pro sports leagues, speaking truth to power and calling out leagues on their bullshit is more important than ever. I’m also thrilled that I can write about things outside of the realm of sports, which is something I’ve been hoping to do for the last several years.

So I hope you’ll stick with me while I figure this whole newsletter thing out and we get to know each other. These are dark days indeed, but as Shelby told Miss Clairee, there are still good times to be had!

Here we go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
brucester001 wrote:
And Away We Go!
Nike whiffs again, ESPN doesn't know women watch baseball, and OJ Simpson is still screwing the Goldman Family
Author
Julie DiCaro
April 14, 2024

Hello and welcome to the first edition of Losing My Perspicacity. I’m coming to you from the western Chicago suburbs, where it’s currently sunny and 83 degrees on April 13, for some reason. Global warming aside, I’m thrilled to see you!

How Did It Come to This?
Before we get into the news, I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for taking a moment to check my newsletter out. This will be the last day you’ll be able to access the newsletter without signing up for a premium subscription, and I want to address why. I’m well aware that people (generally) hate paying for content and, anyway, who the hell am I to suggest my writing and opinions are worth $9.99 a month? And don’t think that thought doesn’t keep me awake at night.

But there are a couple of reasons I’m doing it this way. One, the number of jobs available to journalists has shrunk dramatically over the last several years. And with mass layoffs taking place just about every week, the market is flooded with out-of-work journalists competing for the same small number of jobs. Beyond that, as private equity has dug its grubby little claws into media across the board, there seem to be more and more outlets that are focused on “shedding resources” than hiring journalists.

So many job listings these days seek “content creators” rather than reporters or columnists, and so much focus is on bringing in clicks: writing to Google algorithms, turning everything into a slide show, and aggregating news that’s already been reported multiple times elsewhere. I interviewed for one job where I would have been reporting to a “content manager” rather than someone with training and experience in journalism. In the slashing and burning of journalism jobs, editors, you see, were the first to go. Writing for clicks and social media likes is not why anyone I know became a journalist. And in sports journalism, with the death of investigative stalwarts like Real Sports and Outside the Lines, there is almost nowhere to go for journalists who want to practice… well, journalism. So trying to make a go of it on my own seems at least as risky as working for another outlet that may or may not be here a few years down the road. I mean, if Sports Illustrated is teetering, what hope doe the rest of us have?

Finally, if you’ve known me for a while, you know that I’ve been dealing with some pretty toxic online harassment since 2015, and that my trolls are unusually dedicated. They follow me from platform to platform, downvoting and review-bombing every new venture I take up. I suppose if that’s how they want to spend their free time, it’s their decision, but I don’t have the time or the energy to moderate everything in my life. So if they want to insult and harass me in the comments, they’re going to pay $9.99 a month for the privilege.

After today, you’ll have to upgrade to a paid subscription to keep receiving this newsletter, and I hope you’ll consider doing so, though I’ll continue to have free access now and then, I’m just not certain what that will look like. But I did leave Deadspin with a fair amount of open investigations and FOIA requests, and it’s important to me to fill the void of feminist sports coverage. As more and more outlets team up with pro sports leagues, speaking truth to power and calling out leagues on their bullshit is more important than ever. I’m also thrilled that I can write about things outside of the realm of sports, which is something I’ve been hoping to do for the last several years.

So I hope you’ll stick with me while I figure this whole newsletter thing out and we get to know each other. These are dark days indeed, but as Shelby told Miss Clairee, there are still good times to be had!

Here we go.

I'm not reading all that. Someone cliff note the typos please.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shakes wrote:

WAHHHHHHHH!!!! Woe is me !!!! Life isn’t fair!!!! About sums it up

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
I’m also thrilled that I can write about things outside of the realm of sports, which is something I’ve been hoping to do for the last several years.

Yeah, Julie had been forced to Stick To Sports for too long. Only now she can finally spread her wings and tackle the greater culture war.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
shakes wrote:
brucester001 wrote:
And Away We Go!
Author
Julie DiCaro
April 14, 2024

How Did It Come to This?

Here we go.

i only saw a few obvious typos. if people are going to pay $10 a month to me to read my content... the least i can do is read it and re-read it a few times to catch obvious typos before it goes live, you know like most of us do for their real jobs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Great newsletter today!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
denisdman wrote:
Great newsletter today!

For me to poop on!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
She's still saying unironically she's a journalist. God bless her truth to power heart.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
After that preamble, her three topics were just the same old whining:

The Olympic uniforms designed by Nike are too revealing, and therefore sexist.
The crew on ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball is all male, and since half the fans are women (lol), it’s sexist.
OJ Simpson blah blah blah, domestic violence, Kobe was a rapist etc.

No one is paying for this shit except the haters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I really don’t understand her price point. $4.99 is cheap enough that someone might take a flyer and perhaps she could gain a following (not saying that would happen). $9.99 is 1 less meal @ McDonalds and a quarter pounder is much more satisfying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
NOT IF YOU USE THE APP!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
Julie DiCaro @juliedicaro.bsky.social
·

My son is at WNBA Draft party with his frat brothers. This is how we know things are changing.

He and his roommates hosted a party for the Women's Final Four. I don't think they even watched the men's games.

I'm guessing her son also dresses up in drag and wears womens underwear everyday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
brucester001 wrote:
·

My son is at WNBA Draft party with his frat brothers. This is how we know things are changing.

He and his roommates hosted a party for the Women's Final Four. I don't think they even watched the men's games.

So she is lying again? Great way to start you newsletter.

Her son must attend Iowa. They may very well be "watching" the WNBA draft and watched the Women's Final Four, but to say they didn't even watch the men's NCAA tournament? WYC?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:16 pm 

She, a lawyer, actually wrote this:
Quote:
And, of course, there were the two horrific decisions by the prosecution: 1) to put racist L.A. cop Mark Fuhrman on the stand

Does she really not know the defense team would have subpoenaed him to testify?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:31 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
NOT IF YOU USE THE APP!

:lol:
This meme has serious potential.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Spaulding wrote:
NOT IF YOU USE THE APP!

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I'm so happy I have this information now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:39 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I'm so happy I have this information now.

Oh good. I can call you Miss Information now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Franky T wrote:
brucester001 wrote:
·

Her son must attend Iowa. They may very well be "watching" the WNBA draft and watched the Women's Final Four, but to say they didn't even watch the men's NCAA tournament? WYC?

I thought she always talks about him being at Indiana. It was probably on in the background and not a watch party. What did is not the point of her story though, they point for her is where she said MYYYYYYYYYYYY son.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 pm 

I would say this is how we know her son is changing- genders.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:

Maybe she'll finally root for him at his wrestling match.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Maybe she'll finally root for her at her wrestling match.

FTFY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Franky T wrote:
brucester001 wrote:
·

Not necessarily defending July or her kid here, but we might be reading too much into this.

These are college kids, right? "WNBA draft party" could have simply been something like;
'Hey wanna come to my dorm room/frat house and watch the draft/women's final four and drink beer'

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:38 am 

And also it was the most watched women's games in history.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Franky T wrote:
brucester001 wrote:
·

Not necessarily defending July or her kid here, but we might be reading too much into this.

These are college kids, right? "WNBA draft party" could have simply been something like;
'Hey wanna come to my dorm room/frat house and watch the draft/women's final four and drink beer'

I conceded that much. What I said is a lie, and most certainly is, is saying a bunch of guys in a frat house didn't even watch the men's tournament?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
She's still saying unironically she's a journalist. God bless her truth to power heart.

I also find that entertaining how she thinks of herself as an important journalist speaking "truth to power" (another overused phrase by the left). She is not a journalist - at best, and this is an insult to bloggers, she is a blogger (which anyone can be) whose positions on any topic are extremely predictable and most likely in the gutter as being productive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Franky T wrote:
What I said is a lie, and most certainly is, is saying a bunch of guys in a frat house didn't even watch the men's tournament?
My guess is that its a half truth. I would venture to say at least some of the frat guys watched the mens games.

July wrote:
"No, the frat did NOT have a watch party for the men's Final Four!"

Which is true...only because the school was on spring break that weekend.

As lawyer, I'm sure you can appreciate this type of verbal gymnastics. :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm 

They are Indiana fans.

So, there may have been a reason they didn't watch the men's championship game. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm 

Brick wrote:
They are Indiana fans.

So, there may have been a reason they didn't watch the men's championship game. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1524, 1525, 1526, 1527, 1528, 1529, 1530 ... 1532  Next