It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1520, 1521, 1522, 1523, 1524, 1525, 1526 ... 1532  Next
 Post subject: Re: Julie DiCaro!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social
Seeing G/O Media sell what once we're really strong verticals for parts makes me so grateful to the Onion and GMG Unions, and how we learned to hang together. If you're in a newsroom, you need to unionize.

That helped you how?

And I’m starting to think the misspellings are intentional. How do you type “we’re” instead of were? That wouldn’t even be an autocorrect. You’d have to type the apostrophe.

There's a lot to discuss regarding the unionization of journalists in our current society. Writers of previous generations unionized or created guilds in opposition to those who controlled the means of production, i.e. the printing press. But a printing press is no longer necessary. Anyone is capable of creating their own means of production in the field of journalism and many have.

Which leads us to the second point, and that is that so many so-called journalists are resentful or jealous of those that have been able to do so. Julie apparently longs for the Monopoly Man to control media so that she can unionize in opposition to him.

In fact, if she really had the slightest ability or was capable of writing anything that anyone wanted to read, she could be as successful as Bari Weiss or Freddie deBoer and she wouldn't need to think about trying to unionize against the owners of a dying business model.

Howard Stern talks about this by way of podcasts. When he was growing up he dreamed of being on the radio and busted his ass to get on the air anywhere. Now anyone can have a "radio show" - all you need is a microphone and an internet connection. If you are good you can make money doing it. Same goes for "journalists" like July. Work at your craft instead of complaining all the time and looking for a handout.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 pm 

Too bad he’s basically a podcast now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Too bad he’s basically a podcast now.

Not many podcasters make $85million a year. July should take notice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Franky T wrote:
Howard Stern talks about this by way of podcasts. When he was growing up he dreamed of being on the radio and busted his ass to get on the air anywhere. Now anyone can have a "radio show" - all you need is a microphone and an internet connection. If you are good you can make money doing it. Same goes for "journalists" like July. Work at your craft instead of complaining all the time and looking for a handout.

Podcasting is ridiculously easy to do but almost everyone is bad at it.

As for JORR's question as to why Julie can't be like Freddie deBoer, that's a very interesting comparison. I think back to my line about how Deadspin has colleagues but Barstool has fans. Julie has no independent thoughts that one can't get elsewhere; she let herself become such a lockstep media creature that she made herself replaceable. I'd argue that Senor did the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Podcasting is ridiculously easy to do but almost everyone is bad at it.

As for JORR's question as to why Julie can't be like Freddie deBoer, that's a very interesting comparison. I think back to my line about how Deadspin has colleagues but Barstool has fans. Julie has no independent thoughts that one can't get elsewhere; she let herself become such a lockstep media creature that she made herself replaceable. I'd argue that Senor did the same thing.

That is a good point on her and Dan. I you are everybody you are nobody.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social
Seeing G/O Media sell what once we're really strong verticals for parts makes me so grateful to the Onion and GMG Unions, and how we learned to hang together. If you're in a newsroom, you need to unionize.

That helped you how?

And I’m starting to think the misspellings are intentional. How do you type “we’re” instead of were? That wouldn’t even be an autocorrect. You’d have to type the apostrophe.

There's a lot to discuss regarding the unionization of journalists in our current society. Writers of previous generations unionized or created guilds in opposition to those who controlled the means of production, i.e. the printing press. But a printing press is no longer necessary. Anyone is capable of creating their own means of production in the field of journalism and many have.

Which leads us to the second point, and that is that so many so-called journalists are resentful or jealous of those that have been able to do so. Julie apparently longs for the Monopoly Man to control media so that she can unionize in opposition to him.

In fact, if she really had the slightest ability or was capable of writing anything that anyone wanted to read, she could be as successful as Bari Weiss or Freddie deBoer and she wouldn't need to think about trying to unionize against the owners of a dying business model.

That is Julie's craft. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

That helped you how?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

That helped you how?

:lol:

#truth :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social
If you're an independent journalist who has gone through newsletter route, has it affected your ability to report? Do people still talk to you even though you're not attached to an outlet?

Just circling the drain at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social
If you're an independent journalist who has gone through newsletter route, has it affected your ability to report? Do people still talk to you even though you're not attached to an outlet?

Better get a lot of Draino.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:20 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

If she really wanted to know, she'd reach out privately to ask Eric Zorn, Charlie Meyerson, Kot & DeRogatis, or even John Kass. What she is actually doing here is promoting her own forthcoming newsletter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:33 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

If she really wanted to know, she'd reach out privately to ask Eric Zorn, Charlie Meyerson, Kot & DeRogatis, or even John Kass. What she is actually doing here is promoting her own forthcoming newsletter.

I think we need a mult called Chat JDC. I could see you pulling that one off, bad grammar and all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

Yeah, because the holding the title of Editor-in-Cheif [sic] of Deadspin opens a lot of doors.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

Yeah, because the holding the title of Editor-in-Cheif [sic] of Deadspin opens a lot of doors.

None of them wide enough for her to fit through.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am 

I would understand for a little while, as her husband, if she wanted to take a flight of fancy and quit practicing law to read scoreboard updates on the radio. At some point I 'd have to tell her that the dream is dead. Grow up and get back to your government attorney job.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
I would understand for a little while, as her husband, if she wanted to take a flight of fancy and quit practicing law to read scoreboard updates on the radio. At some point I 'd have to tell her that the dream is dead. Grow up and get back to your government attorney job.

are there many attorney jobs that let you work from home and not going into the office three days a week?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

are there many attorney jobs that let you work from home and not going into the office three days a week?

yea, unfortunately pretty much all of them. Except the part of not going into the office 3 days a week. More like they go into the office 1x per month. Especially jobs like CTA attorney or working for the city. Some of those people make it downtown to their office maybe 3-4x per year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shakes wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

yea, unfortunately pretty much all of them. Except the part of not going into the office 3 days a week. More like they go into the office 1x per month. Especially jobs like CTA attorney or working for the city. Some of those people make it downtown to their office maybe 3-4x per year.

Then I’m shocked she’s not waddling right into the Bar Association to reinstate her license if that’s the case

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am 

Quote:
Then I’m shocked she’s not waddling right into the Bar Association to reinstate her license if that’s the case

You know who has a bigger ego than lawyers? "Recovering lawyers."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

You know who has a bigger ego than lawyers? "Recovering lawyers."

Don't confuse the mediocrity of others for the ego of lawyers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
Who's subscribing??

After a few weeks of "wtf am I going to do now?" I've decided I'm not all that keen on working for yet another outlet, and the opportunities are few and far between, anyway. So, like many of my more talented and successful peers, I'll be launching a newsletter in the coming days.
No idea what it'll be called, but I hope you'll consider subscribing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
What ever will she do with the windfall she's sure to get from the two dozen or so subscribers?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:26 pm 

Is it that hard to go back to being lawyer who works on uncontested divorces?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:40 pm 

Hasn't she done this numerous times before? She wrote like two articles and then "couldn't even anymore" every time she did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:43 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Hasn't she done this numerous times before? She wrote like two articles and then "couldn't even anymore" every time she did.

With podcasts, yes, but I don't think she's done so with a newsletter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Curious Hair wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Well I'm sure she can't even soon with this new grift.

And of course, when it fails, it'll be because of ugh, men.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Curious Hair wrote:
Franky T wrote:

There could be fun wagers made:

O/U on articles before quitting: 2.5

O/U on Grammar/Spelling mistakes per article: 4.5

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
brucester001 wrote:
Who's subscribing??

After a few weeks of "wtf am I going to do now?" I've decided I'm not all that keen on working for yet another outlet, and the opportunities are few and far between, anyway. So, like many of my more talented and successful peers, I'll be launching a newsletter in the coming days.
No idea what it'll be called, but I hope you'll consider subscribing!

"I'm launching a newsletter! I mean I don't have a launch date to give you, I don't know what it's going to be called, and I'm not too sure what it's going to be covering, so good luck to you or anyone else in finding it. See you soon!"

I'm glad Julie absorbed the important lessons from that time her employer folded and terminated everyone because they couldn't generate revenue from people finding and sharing their content after she proudly posted about not writing her articles with SEO in mind and choosing not to focus on hot topics of the day and disliking her bosses telling her to write attention grabbing headlines.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:52 am 

Darkside wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Well I'm sure she can't even soon with this new grift.

And of course, when it fails, it'll be because of ugh, men.

Well, 47% of NFL fans are women but 100% of fans (all genders) will not be subscribing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Your ideas are (not) intriguing to me, and I (do not) wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1520, 1521, 1522, 1523, 1524, 1525, 1526 ... 1532  Next