It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1521, 1522, 1523, 1524, 1525, 1526, 1527 ... 1539  Next
 Post subject: Re: Julie DiCaro!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I'm guessing there are some, but I have to believe that most newsletters don't make the author a profit, they're just gauze on the wound to stop the hemorrhaging of cash from savings after a writer loses their job.

This is quickly shaping up to be another instance of Julie going off half-cocked with a media venture she envisions will become a viral success, doing nothing to actually make it a viral success, and then quickly losing interest and shutting it down. Haven't we already seen this play with her Patreon? That had a "newsletter" component that stopped being sent out real quick, as I recall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I know we post on a message board so we cannot really talk shit about old school, but a newsletter? That is like something public schools send home and the Village of Schaumburg still produces. Cracker Barrel anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: What??
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
Your ideas are (not) intriguing to me, and I (do not) wish to subscribe to your newsletter

I already subscribe to Titania McGrath. So July would not only be a duplicate, but late in the game as a duplicate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
if she started the newsletter and required a nominal payment... she could take a huge step forward in IDing her trolls, as they are going to be a minimum 75% of the subscribers to that venture day 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
assuming she had deadlines at DS that she could barely meet. when its a complete free for all how could anyone assume some level of consistency here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:46 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
I know we post on a message board so we cannot really talk shit about old school, but a newsletter? That is like something public schools send home and the Village of Schaumburg still produces. Cracker Barrel anyone?

Are you familiar with Substack? That's the platform she's talking about. "Newsletter" is just the new branding for what is for all intents and purposes a sometimes-paywalled blog. The only difference is you also get new posts as emails--that and the website skims 10% off the top. (There's that classic American innovation in the tech sector.) In terms of success rate, think of it as an intellectual OnlyFans: it's an extreme Pareto distribution where a few people at the top rake it in but most people fail miserably.

As we discussed somewhere on here, Freddie deBoer has been very successful with Substack, but that's because Freddie cultivated a loyal readership over 15 years both because and in spite of being blackballed from polite liberal media. There's no such audience for Julie, who is so beloved by her peers (no accounting for taste) that she could pop up freelancing anywhere anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Are you familiar with Substack? That's the platform she's talking about. "Newsletter" is just the new branding for what is for all intents and purposes a sometimes-paywalled blog. The only difference is you also get new posts as emails--that and the website skims 10% off the top. (There's that classic American innovation in the tech sector.) In terms of success rate, think of it as an intellectual OnlyFans: it's an extreme Pareto distribution where a few people at the top rake it in but most people fail miserably.

As we discussed somewhere on here, Freddie deBoer has been very successful with Substack, but that's because Freddie cultivated a loyal readership over 15 years both because and in spite of being blackballed from polite liberal media. There's no such audience for Julie, who is so beloved by her peers (no accounting for taste) that she could pop up freelancing anywhere anyway.
Her peers are all clones. It's why they are failing or failed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Didn't she already try a patreon? Didn't take money from people (some from this bored) and stop producing content like three weeks in?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Psycory wrote:
Didn't she already try a patreon? Didn't take money from people (some from this bored) and stop producing content like three weeks in?

She did:

badrogue17 wrote:
Oh so THAT’S why you haven’t delivered your promised Patreon content that you’re accepting money for . Trump. Got it .

Looking back it was Brick who was a patron and said she hadn't posted anything for three months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:57 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
brucester001 wrote:
Who's subscribing??

After a few weeks of "wtf am I going to do now?" I've decided I'm not all that keen on working for yet another outlet, and the opportunities are few and far between, anyway. So, like many of my more talented and successful peers, I'll be launching a newsletter in the coming days.
No idea what it'll be called, but I hope you'll consider subscribing!

"I'm launching a newsletter! I mean I don't have a launch date to give you, I don't know what it's going to be called, and I'm not too sure what it's going to be covering, so good luck to you or anyone else in finding it. See you soon!"

I'm glad Julie absorbed the important lessons from that time her employer folded and terminated everyone because they couldn't generate revenue from people finding and sharing their content after she proudly posted about not writing her articles with SEO in mind and choosing not to focus on hot topics of the day and disliking her bosses telling her to write attention grabbing headlines.

Semi-off topic here, but the revisionist history around Gawker and Deadspin being this exquisite walled garden of "writing what they wanted to write" and not bowing to the whims of SEO is a load of horseshit. Two things:

1) Gawker had a guy named Neetzan Zimmerman for a long time whose entire stock-in-trade was mindless clickbait. He would scour the internet for what was trending and write about it, and he routinely got the most traffic on the whole network. I can't find any of it now because of the Gawker.com IP getting passed around between people who foolishly think they can still make money off it, but I think it was a lot of funny cat videos. In this way, Zimmerman was kind of an intellectual loss leader for the network, drawing people into the site with useless crap so that Barry Petchesky could write "Why LeBron James Could Be A Fighter Pilot" or whatever. But that traffic was important for everyone, not just him, because

2) THEY PAID BY THE PAGEVIEW. Did we all forget this? Did we all just block out that Nick Denton was an SEO-obsessed psychopath who had giant monitors around the office displaying every writer's traffic? and when a writer's traffic got too low, they'd be like "hey, I'm having trouble sending emails" and Denton would be like "oh, that's because you got fired, I guess you missed the email, well, bye"? It was an absolute boiler room of clickbait and yet the media class talks about the place as the platonic ideal of journalism, why, because they broke the Manti Teo catfish story and gave Ray Ratto a job when the SF Chronicle laid him off? Deadspin did some occasional good longform sportswriting. So does pretty much everybody else. Most of what they did was ephemeral, superficial, trend-chasing garbage, not journalistic brilliance unencumbered by populist demand.

And that goes for Julie's Zombie Deadspin, too. How, pray tell, can you be the hall monitor of the internet, this giant raw throbbing nerve of indignation and moral clarity, if you are not constantly refreshing Twitter and reacting to everything happening there?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social
I just deleted my TikTok account. I've made like five videos, and every single one of them has been absolutely flooded with comments about how fat and ugly I am. Nice platform they've got over there.

I do worry though. I make TikToks, everyone trolls me. I start a podcast, they downvote it to one star. I write a book, they trash the Amazon reviews. It's like I don't know what I can do anymore that would ever be successful. And that is a terrible feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social
I just deleted my TikTok account. I've made like five videos, and every single one of them has been absolutely flooded with comments about how fat and ugly I am. Nice platform they've got over there.

I do worry though. I make TikToks, everyone trolls me. I start a podcast, they downvote it to one star. I write a book, they trash the Amazon reviews. It's like I don't know what I can do anymore that would ever be successful. And that is a terrible feeling.

I dunno...get a real job? Or get some thick skin if you are going to be so "on line"? It's not that difficult July.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:01 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

I read the book. It sucked more than she has. Ask her hubby.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

This might be the most self aware she's been.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:16 pm 

It took people insulting her appearance for Julie to be like "wow, the brain-rotting spyware app that both political parties agree should be eradicated really sucks."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:21 pm 

She should love being trolled. It made her famous.

She wants fame. She’ll pity herself for driving that dream, and creating the issues that gave her the fame.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hard to imagine the family situation she has.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

you reap what you sew you fat miserable kvnt!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
shakes wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

you reap what you sew you fat miserable kvnt!

A little hostile, but hopefully she has a lot of fabric.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 am 

Franky T wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro
@juliedicaro.bsky.social

I dunno...get a real job? Or get some thick skin if you are going to be so "on line"? It's not that difficult July.

I guess this would be a good time for the occasional reminder that she had a nice paying job with the ability to impact issues she finds important on a daily basis but quit it to read scores at 30 and 60 minutes of each hour. That job is still available

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck… friends :roll: Image

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
badrogue17 wrote:

im no social media maven... but 6 people love the fact she feels like shit?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
billypootons wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

im no social media maven... but 6 people love the fact she feels like shit?

Well, that's all the mults that Brogue currently has.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:54 am 

Feeling like a huge failure? Well because you are- HUGE and a FAILURE.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:54 am 

Oh, yeah, I forgot, the libs won't use substack anymore because they think it's for Nazis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
beehive?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Bagels wrote:
beehive?
Its the new social media site everyone is buzzing about.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:10 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Bagels wrote:
beehive?
Its the new social media site everyone is buzzing about.

Honey, you ain’t seen nothing yet. But getting rejected really stings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot, the libs won't use substack anymore because they think it's for Nazis.

Free speech is far right. All information should be flitered through and fact checked by several mental patients of uncertain sex/gender supervised by Nicolle Wallace. If you disagree you are an ignorant and bigoted Nazi.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Free speech is far right. All information should be flitered through and fact checked by several mental patients of uncertain sex/gender supervised by Nicolle Wallace. If you disagree you are an ignorant and bigoted Nazi.

Free speech is a core American value. I will defend it to my death.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1521, 1522, 1523, 1524, 1525, 1526, 1527 ... 1539  Next