It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tim Baffoe reads
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Was the bursar's office only open in the evening?

:lol:

Going there to pay his bill every night.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Why the fuck would he ever have quit working for a city department then end up having to deliver fucking pizzas to make ends meet ? I know he's not real bright but that's a no-brainer.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
badrogue17 wrote:
Why the fuck would he ever have quit working for a city department then end up having to deliver fucking pizzas to make ends meet ? I know he's not real bright but that's a no-brainer.

His full time job is teaching at a private religious school. I'm sure they are thrilled with his views. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:43 pm 

I wonder if the car was originally purchased in Iowa but sold at auction in Chicago after an accident

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Tim Baffoe is an incredibly shitty writer. From his latest:

Quote:
My first car was a 1998 Oldsmobile 88. It was severely used.

Working a day job in my early 20s laying asphalt for the city’s Department of Transportation while paying for college at night, that car became an extension of my very self. Not flashy. A bit dented. Penchant for breaking down but always jumping back up after being cursed at and belittled in public. Black.

Quote:
Like me as a lad green to the world, (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky owns a whip that symbolizes him in the less-is-more sense. Regardless of how many miles are on that Japanese machine that far outlasted my American piece of crap, his true engine revs right underneath his breastplate. And that has no odometer.

Quote:
The drives that matter are the ones on Soldier Field turf with the game on the line and the ball in (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky’s hands. A man who values simplicity — getting the job done without frills — should inspire confidence in teammates and fans alike. It doesn’t end with his ride — his Twitter account is a bastion of the Everyman, too.

Is it possible this is Baffoe's attempt at satire? Today Bernstein beating the "His. Car. Doesn't. Mean. Anything." drum, and I don't trust little Timmy to have his own original thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:51 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Quote:
that car became an extension of my very self. Not flashy. A bit dented. Penchant for breaking down but always jumping back up after being cursed at and belittled in public. Black.

:shock:

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Baffoe wrote:
while paying for college at night

He's an embarrassment to English majors.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:25 am 

Guys, Tim Baffoe is transracial.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
So a guy who was 16 in 1998 says his first car was a 1998 model and somehow equates this to a 22yr old millionaire or soon to be millionaire driving a car from 1997. This terrible comparison and attempt to relate himself to an NFL qb is fucking ridiculous. Please ice this cake and start a go fund me page for a new pizza wagon.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:16 am 

Apparently WSCR can't afford editors to proof Baffoe's infantile attempts at satire. This is the 4th paragraph:

Quote:
It was then that I knew the Bears has selected a winner.

Jesus, even this guy's overwrought satire sucks.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I'm confused, is he saying that he grew up a poor black child like Steve Martin in "The Jerk"?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:50 pm 

shakes wrote:
I'm confused, is he saying that he grew up a poor black child like Steve Martin in "The Jerk"?

Mrs. Thomas from What's Happening?? was in that. What's Happening?? was awesome. Also, Roger's dad looked a little like Wilt Chamberlain. (I actually made an image of both side by side, but it doesn't offer much evidence that they looked like one another, so I won't link to it.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:42 am 

Quote:
orange julius caesar‏Verified account
@TimBaffoe
I teach ninth graders Julius Caesar.
They know what the assassination means and its repercussions.
Adults are criminally stupid.

The kids are smart. Millennials and whatever is after them, it's the adults that are the problem. Pizza philosophy.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Quote:
@TimBaffoe

The kids are smart. Millennials and whatever is after them, it's the adults that are the problem. Pizza philosophy.

Was that during his argument with Piers Morgan?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:48 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Quote:
@TimBaffoe

Yeah. The argument where Tim said his students understood the text better than him-the person who is supposed to be teaching it.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:34 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Quote:
@TimBaffoe

Yeah. The argument where Tim said his students understood the text better than him-the person who is supposed to be teaching it.

the guy's a complete jackass. i bet his colleagues can't stand him. i can't stand these "the kids are always right" teachers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
formerlyknownas wrote:
i can't stand these "the kids are always right" teachers.

That's not really a teacher, is it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
i can't stand these "the kids are always right" teachers.

That's not really a teacher, is it?

:lol: Yep. But they're out there (teachers with this attitude).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:32 pm 

Ok let me get this straight

this guy left a city job with that tasty union and benefit package to go teach at Brother Rice.

The south side city workers pay 11 k per year for their kids to go be taught by this guy, who
I would love to hear his LGBT views at a Catholic High School, how come I got a feeling he doesn't
share his SJW agenda while he is working there. Maybe he can share some of his liberal cuck views
during parent/teacher conferences with
the police officer and fireman/woman parents of the young minds he feeds knowledge to every day.
Don't forget to mention your Black Lives Matter bona fides to some of Chicago's finest, that will go over
swimmingly.

what a fucking tool, my god in heaven

later
sabu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:06 pm 

He is so incredibly terrible. Love how his opening line really hooks you in.

Quote:
If you’ve accomplished anything worthwhile, you’ve at least experienced it without maybe knowing it was an actual thing. (If you’re a useless phony, this doesn’t apply.) Psychologists Pauline Rose Clance and Suzanne Imes first described it in 1978 as, “Despite outstanding academic and professional accomplishments, [people] who experience the imposter phenomenon persists in believing that they are really not bright and have fooled anyone who thinks otherwise,” and that those people constantly fear exposure of their self-perceived phoniness.

That’s me, most of the times I write a piece here, most of the times I do a radio, TV, or podcast appearance. Most of the times I have to speak in a faculty meeting or at some teacher seminar. “This is it,” I think. “I’m going to write or say something so dumb in its basicness that people will cease to respect my acumen and figure out I drank my way through college while being just good enough to BS my way to a degree. Someone’s going to ask me about some sports blind spot of mine or about some canonical novel I haven’t read, and I’ll be exposed as inferior.”

So, yeah, I suck. But my imposter syndrome creeps up even louder when people I’m absolutely sure are better at this writing thing than I are told by their employers that they have become expendable. In April, it was ESPN’s latest periodical round of cuts that had begun in late 2015 with the dissolution of the great Grantland and gutting of many of ESPN’s writers at online hyperlocal affiliates. Then Sports Illustrated laid off some writers and editors at the same time it was hammering out plans to increase video content on its website, part of some 300 people losing jobs under the Time Inc. umbrella. Days later it was Yahoo Sports getting rid of writers and editors over the course of May through June, along with eventually 2,100 people there and at Huffington Post as they were acquired by Verizon. Then it was Vocativ losing its entire editorial staff in a shift to video content on the site. On Monday, Fox Sports announced it had eliminated its entire digital writing staff in favor of 100 percent video content on its site.

Plenty of better writers and thinkers keep finding themselves out of work, which worries me, as eventually the rock I hide under has to be turned over. But I’m also bothered intellectually by a theme in these sports media layoffs.

More and more there seems to be a shift away from good writing and toward snippety pieces or just outright video. I then forget my insecurities and become insulted that so many sports sites or their parent companies are increasingly choosing to invest in the junk food equivalent of media. Video content is hardly my bang. I’m a reader, and I want to be challenged by great writing, including sports.

If an online article has a video at the top like this one probably does, I mute it. Video has a place, and some of it is done really well — see the stuff SB Nation does, for example. But it’s supplementary for me or, again, “junk food”—fun in small doses, but should never dominate one’s diet. And I’m not alone, as Reuters Institute recently published its annual report on digital news. Per NiemanLab, “One of the more surprising findings from last year’s report was that most people really don’t like getting news from online video. This is still the case.”

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

Quote:
If you’ve accomplished anything worthwhile, you’ve at least experienced it without maybe knowing it was an actual thing. (If you’re a useless phony, this doesn’t apply.) Psychologists Pauline Rose Clance and Suzanne Imes first described it in 1978 as, “Despite outstanding academic and professional accomplishments, [people] who experience the imposter phenomenon persists in believing that they are really not bright and have fooled anyone who thinks otherwise,” and that those people constantly fear exposure of their self-perceived phoniness.

That’s me, most of the times I write a piece here, most of the times I do a radio, TV, or podcast appearance. Most of the times I have to speak in a faculty meeting or at some teacher seminar. “This is it,” I think. “I’m going to write or say something so dumb in its basicness that people will cease to respect my acumen and figure out I drank my way through college while being just good enough to BS my way to a degree. Someone’s going to ask me about some sports blind spot of mine or about some canonical novel I haven’t read, and I’ll be exposed as inferior.”

So, yeah, I suck. But my imposter syndrome creeps up even louder when people I’m absolutely sure are better at this writing thing than I are told by their employers that they have become expendable. In April, it was ESPN’s latest periodical round of cuts that had begun in late 2015 with the dissolution of the great Grantland and gutting of many of ESPN’s writers at online hyperlocal affiliates. Then Sports Illustrated laid off some writers and editors at the same time it was hammering out plans to increase video content on its website, part of some 300 people losing jobs under the Time Inc. umbrella. Days later it was Yahoo Sports getting rid of writers and editors over the course of May through June, along with eventually 2,100 people there and at Huffington Post as they were acquired by Verizon. Then it was Vocativ losing its entire editorial staff in a shift to video content on the site. On Monday, Fox Sports announced it had eliminated its entire digital writing staff in favor of 100 percent video content on its site.

Plenty of better writers and thinkers keep finding themselves out of work, which worries me, as eventually the rock I hide under has to be turned over. But I’m also bothered intellectually by a theme in these sports media layoffs.

More and more there seems to be a shift away from good writing and toward snippety pieces or just outright video. I then forget my insecurities and become insulted that so many sports sites or their parent companies are increasingly choosing to invest in the junk food equivalent of media. Video content is hardly my bang. I’m a reader, and I want to be challenged by great writing, including sports.

If an online article has a video at the top like this one probably does, I mute it. Video has a place, and some of it is done really well — see the stuff SB Nation does, for example. But it’s supplementary for me or, again, “junk food”—fun in small doses, but should never dominate one’s diet. And I’m not alone, as Reuters Institute recently published its annual report on digital news. Per NiemanLab, “One of the more surprising findings from last year’s report was that most people really don’t like getting news from online video. This is still the case.”

Sometimes I feel like I have accomplished nothing and then I see people who claim they have accomplished something who, in reality, have accomplished nothing and I feel accomplished

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

If you say "actual thing" you no longer get to pretend you're smart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I have no idea what he's trying to say in that first sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

Tim Baffoe wrote:
Psychologists Pauline Rose Clance and Suzanne Imes first described it in 1978 as, “Despite outstanding academic and professional accomplishments, [people] who experience the imposter phenomenon persists in believing that they are really not bright and have fooled anyone who thinks otherwise,” and that those people constantly fear exposure of their self-perceived phoniness.

That’s me, most of the times I write a piece here, most of the times I do a radio, TV, or podcast appearance.

Uh, no, dude. That isn't a syndrome. You're right to feel that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I have no idea what he's trying to say in that first sentence.

I am dumber for having read it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Is basicness a word?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Is basicness a word?

Yes. If you're a teenage girl.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Maybe he should've stuck with delivering pizzas . To my knowledge , Dominoes has never had a lay off.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Tim Baffoe wrote:
But I’m also bothered intellectually by a theme in these sports media layoffs.

You're also bothered intellectually by two way mirrors, tying your shoes, and the nuanced prop comedy of Carrot Top.

Tim Baffoe wrote:
Video content is hardly my bang.

Neither is proofreading, Mr. English professor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm 

Quote:
If you’ve accomplished anything worthwhile, you’ve at least experienced it without maybe knowing it was an actual thing.

Quote:
“This is it,” I think. “I’m going to write or say something so dumb in its basicness that people will cease to respect my acumen

Quote:
without maybe knowing it was an actual thing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next