It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Tim Baffoe reads
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Not up to his usual bullshit, this one bizarrely feels like sponsored content:

https://670thescore.radio.com/blogs/tim ... rate-field

Quote:
But it’s also a stone’s throw from two trains that make getting to the park a breeze. Externally, the parking lots are super convenient for family outings and tailgating, and ChiSox Bar and Grill with its indoor and outdoor seating directly across 35th St. provides a cool atmosphere on game days, as well as Cork and Kerry at the Park and Turtle’s, both a short walk away on the other side of Armour Square Park.

I try to make it to multiple games there a year, and I don’t recall a bad seat in the stands that I’ve had. A new personal favorite of mine is paying a few extra bucks to sit in the club level seats with a fine view and extra perks.

And that “amenities” factor? The joint has 39 bathrooms, two places to charge your phone, a place to check your pets (while also usually having a promotion for bringing your dog to a game), statues all over the place to take pictures with and selfie station, the Craft Cave (formerly the Bullpen Bar) of beers on beers on beers, a place to get your shoes shined, the shower from Old Comiskey Park and a bunch of kid-friendly stuff like the Xfinity Fundamentals area. Baseball is a kids’ game and connected to the family experience, and the White Sox provide that in spades at their place.

This is without mentioning the food. Call the park whatever you want, but when you mention it to any Chicagoan worth their salted pretzel, they’ll follow a mention of the park almost immediately with “Oh, great food.” It flat out embarrasses the always-dubbed culturally significant Wrigley Field (like the parking and bathrooms do, too). That grilled onions smell mentioned earlier has been known to ancient cultures as an aphrodisiac. By myself last season, I ate an entire grand slam helmet sundae that filled a full-sized helmet with funnel cake at the bottom that I was unaware of until after I bought it but didn’t quit on it once I’d excavated to it.

The White Sox are known for their drool-worthy new menu items each year, and this season’s aren’t fully public yet, but they've added their take on a horseshoe sandwich to the ranks. They have elotes, corned beef, Tater Tachos, many different wonderful tubed meats, a burger with Merkts cheese, a helmet full of Irish nachos, the Chicago cheese and caramel popcorn mix, tamales and real damn pizza besides all the ballpark stomach standards. I actually get mad at every game I attend because I can’t eat everything I want to, both physically and because I can only take so many horrified looks from people sitting near me.

And ticket prices are always reasonable.

Operators and, uh, cheese sausage helmet sandwich concessionaires are standing by!

Jesus, it's like it was ghost written by Brooks Boyer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
Even the proudest of White Sox fans will purse his or her lips, give a pained exhale through the nose and try to give a multi-second blink in an attempt to comes to terms with calling the home of their favorite team “Guaranteed Rate Field.”

This person won a writing contest?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Quote:
Even the proudest of White Sox fans will purse his or her lips, give a pained exhale through the nose and try to give a multi-second blink in an attempt to comes to terms with calling the home of their favorite team “Guaranteed Rate Field.”

Yeah, that's one tortured sentence right there. Beyond that, I don't really get people that are so obsessed with the names of buildings. "I still call it Cominskey." You didn't even know how the fuck to say it when that's what it was called.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:24 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jesus, it's like it was ghost written by Brooks Boyer.

"There are great seats in every section of the park. My personal favorite is the more expensive section!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:25 pm 

Quote:
Externally, the parking lots are super convenient for family outings and tailgating

Internally, it's too dark to drive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 pm 

Quote:

bitches don't know about my ballpark stomach standards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that's one tortured sentence right there. Beyond that, I don't really get people that are so obsessed with the names of buildings. "I still call it Cominskey." You didn't even know how the fuck to say it when that's what it was called.

It is funny that he wrote this though, instead of his usual how is Kaep not signed or Michigan State should be burned to the ground story. Looks like his radicalism faded rapidly as soon as his sponsor was sent to timeout.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Ancient civilizations grilled onions?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Always loved that Baffoe guy.

Telling truth to power.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Ancient civilizations grilled onions?

It much creepier than that actually. Baffoe has stuck to sports for most of this year now. Interesting.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Telling truth to power.

He sure does:

TenFootMidget wrote:
I find Fahrenheit 451 to be one of the most important novels in the Western canon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Telling truth to power.

His column is about to rest in power from the tone. Of all the things to survive the purge, this guy?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Telling truth to power.

His column is about to rest in power from the tone. Of all the things to survive the purge, this guy?

Survival by insignificance.

It's good to know that the onions at Comiskey get him hard, though. No way that guy's got an outlet for that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm 

tommy wrote:
It's good to know that the onions at Comiskey get him hard, though. No way that guy's got an outlet for that.

Spiegs, do a parody song!

I've seen feet that were perfect and girls who were nude
but I'm horny, I'm horny, I'm horny for food *dirnt! dirn dirrrrrrn*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

It is funny that he wrote this though, instead of his usual how is Kaep not signed or Michigan State should be burned to the ground story. Looks like his radicalism faded rapidly as soon as his sponsor was sent to timeout.

Still hung over from the South Side Irish parade and needed an easy column

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Nothing.

No more columns.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
i hope he doesnt quit twitter... seemed like a great guy! :roll:

timbaffoe wrote:
OK, now that I got that one final super-serious Bears exhibition analysis out, I really am moving on from writing for 670 The Score today. I still have a hard time believing someone paid me (kinda) to write about sports, and I’m sure many of you still do as well. But I decided a few weeks ago to focus on other duties and interests and leave this glamour behind. And I’ll try to keep this more Vlad Guerrero than Trevor Hoffman.

My sincerest thanks go out to my editors, chronologically Adam Hoge, Sam Zuba and Cody Westerlund. All of them were more than accommodating and fair and put up with my weirdness and wordiness and typos with more patience than was deserved.

I owe all of this glory to God. That being Dan Bernstein. And Mitch Rosen. They both picked me along with Hoge as a contest winner for this gig. Every person at 670 The Score whom I’ve encountered has been more than cool to me, and it has validated my years of listening to station.

And to you, the reader, whether this is your first click on something I wrote or more, know that I genuinely appreciate it. I never thought "reading Baffoe" would be a thing said outside of an interrogation room for alleged Ponzi scheme activity.

My favorite part of my time writing here wasn't anything that I wrote. You forget way more of the writing than you retain anyway. Instead, it was how writing led me to consuming the work of other wonderful voices, especially those from women, the LGBTQ community and people of color who helped me consider the intersection of sports with the sociopolitical in ways I hadn't before. I'm a better critical thinker and a more empathetic person because of the homework I often had to do in my writing and the avenues that led me to.

I hope sports media going forward works to be more diverse, which is crucial for how the public sees the sports world and beyond. That includes anyone who might fill this spot. Please, you the consumer, seek out those diverse voices and consider perspectives that you might not be accustomed to.

I'm mostly looking forward to consuming sports just as a fan again, getting lost in the organic emotions of the immediate without having to consider some angle that I might have to take later about what's happening on or off the field. Being able to sleep on a bad loss from some Chicago team and not having to revisit my disappointment in writing the next morning will be nice, even though that has its cathartic qualities.

So I’m outta here. It’s been surreal but incredibly fun.

Here’s to being good fans and smart readers and listeners. Hooray sports.

Tim Baffoe is a columnist for 670TheScore.com. Follow Tim on Twitter @TimBaffoe. The views expressed on this page are those of the author, not Entercom or our affiliated radio stations.​

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Word is that even Baffoe eventually picked up on the fact that Julie was a fraud.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm 

Is there really still a lack of diversity in sports media? The most consumed media (television) is pretty diverse across the board.

Sure a local like the Score may be lagging behind, but 1000 is diverse as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Word is that even Baffoe eventually picked up on the fact that Julie was a fraud.

please continue...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I hope he's ok. Unless he has a burner account, he hasn't tweeted in over a month, and hasn't really said too much since he stopped writing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:59 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
"I have no fucking clue where the hell he is. For all I care he could be hanging by his neck in his fucking closet!"

Scenario One: He's hanging by his neck in his fucking closet.

"You want to know where (he) is? Just look for the most heinous, vile, and horrible exploitation of children on the planet."

Scenario Two: (Baffoe) went to Disney World.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10