It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
After about 15 minutes,had to turn it off. Murph is that annoying.

Turned on 670 where Bruce Levine was giving a verbal BJ to James Shields.

At that point,the sound of silence was a good choice...PTFOFFB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Maybe enjoy a nice lemonade in the backyard and listen to reruns of Kevin Can Wait play in your head?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:22 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Maybe enjoy a nice lemonade in the backyard and listen to reruns of Kevin Can Wait play in your head?

Well,I guess you're the expert on here with playing with head.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:48 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Well,I guess you're the expert on here with playing with head.

Vicious :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
jimmypasta wrote:

how dare you say that about Murph. If it wasn't for Murph this board would not even exist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
I brought this up in another thread... I understand that James Shields is a nice guy , great with the young guys and has good character. Make him an assistant in the bullpen not an opening day pitcher. He's had some recent good outings but when he's bad he's really bad.

Levine has little reason to be singing Shields' praises this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
They need him to succeed so they can trade him. So they have to play him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
HawaiiYou wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

how dare you say that about Murph. If it wasn't for Murph this board would not even exist.

Is this a joke or the usual HawaiiYou concept comprehension problem?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Murph and Fred tackle Chicago sports better than any other hosts in Chicago. They touch on saber metrics but believe their eyes. Murphs not smooth but he's a fans fan. I could care less about the score wimps accusing him of email shenanigans. Who cares. They touch on a lot of the things on Saturday fans think about during the week.

I think the fact ESPN 1000 doesn't have any teams is a plus that they can be honest. They've had great Madden and heyward discussion. They'd be great after Cubs games. They don't have to be an apologist for anybody like the score pussies.

Who on the score would you enjoy talking Chicago sports with over a cup of coffee? Rozner, hub when he's not Trump bashing, maybe Les , Schuster, mac? They'd have to pay me to talk to the other minimum wagers.

And no obligatory sjw ass kissing, just sports. The podcast is a great listen with minimal commercials. The third wheel punks don't add anything. Jesse Rogers is suprisingly honest amazingly with the fact he travels with the Cubs.

In the day the score had murph, Fred, north , Mac, jiggets, terry . That was good sportsradio.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:20 pm 

I was listening this morning when Murph made an attempt to cover the Cubs in St. Louis. He is approaching senility and his mind wonders nowadays. He ended talking about his old Bleacher Bum buddy who used to rent a bus and bring a crew to St.Louis while overcharging his buddies for the ride.
It just seems there are a lot of asides when Murph talks. Get to the "meat & potatoes" of the subject matter without giving me a rundown of life in 1966.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:20 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Murph and Fred tackle Chicago sports better than any other hosts in Chicago. They touch on saber metrics but believe their eyes. Murphs not smooth but he's a fans fan. I could care less about the score wimps accusing him of email shenanigans. Who cares. They touch on a lot of the things on Saturday fans think about during the week.

I think the fact ESPN 1000 doesn't have any teams is a plus that they can be honest. They've had great Madden and heyward discussion. They'd be great after Cubs games. They don't have to be an apologist for anybody like the score pussies.

Who on the score would you enjoy talking Chicago sports with over a cup of coffee? Rozner, hub when he's not Trump bashing, maybe Les , Schuster, mac? They'd have to pay me to talk to the other minimum wagers.

And no obligatory sjw ass kissing, just sports. The podcast is a great listen with minimal commercials. The third wheel punks don't add anything. Jesse Rogers is suprisingly honest amazingly with the fact he travels with the Cubs.

In the day the score had murph, Fred, north , Mac, jiggets, terry . That was good sportsradio.

This guy is 100 percent right.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 pm 

I didnt realize that murph/fred were on podcats. thanks for letting me know. i'm listening now. Murph has brought 'WHAT IF' back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
jimmypasta wrote:
I was listening this morning when Murph made an attempt to cover the Cubs in St. Louis. He is approaching senility and his mind wonders nowadays. He ended talking about his old Bleacher Bum buddy who used to rent a bus and bring a crew to St.Louis while overcharging his buddies for the ride.
It just seems there are a lot of asides when Murph talks. Get to the "meat & potatoes" of the subject matter without giving me a rundown of life in 1966.

To be fair, even in his prime Murph was like that. "So, it's a long drive down to Carbondale going back to school back then, so if the Cubs weren't on I would put on the Cardinals game with Jack Buck and Harry Caray calling it...once you got down south you could get them on KMOX...every station west of the Mississippi starts with K, the MO is for Missouri, and then X..." I actually don't mind the meandering on a laid-back weekend show, but when he'd do it in his drive time days it was annoying as hell.

Murph's proper place has always been on the weekends talking baseball.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:46 pm 

ya murph's been talking about 60s experiences since he was on WLS. He is also a big baseball conspiracy guy. Always trying to turn something mundane into a genius plot by some GM or manager etc...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
His voice problem seems to have cleared up mostly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
HawaiiYou wrote:
ya murph's been talking about 60s experiences since he was on WLS. He is also a big baseball conspiracy guy. Always trying to turn something mundane into a genius plot by some GM or manager etc...

I always enjoyed his Sunday night show on WLS followed by Nate Clay talking politics. He broke from the Coppock mold of relying heavily on guests to fill his show and instead took calls from listeners.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Hatchetman wrote:
His voice problem seems to have cleared up mostly

Always sounded like he needed to clear his throat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:32 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I always enjoyed his Sunday night show on WLS followed by Nate Clay talking politics. He broke from the Coppock mold of relying heavily on guests to fill his show and instead took calls from listeners.

fans talking to fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
HawaiiYou wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

fans talking to fans.

True. As much as I want to punch Kap sometimes, he's good with callers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:36 pm 

It would break my heart if Murph praised bum 5.61 era with Sox James Shields like Les, Levine and the other jock sniffers in Chicago sports radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
http://mediaburn.org/video/chicago-slic ... rphy-wscr/

Heeeeeey, it's Murph doing the evening show in 1993! In the first few minutes, I caught Mac, Boers (who at this point was still being somewhat civil with Murph), Ron Gleason, and Jerry Riles. And of course, the yellow pad!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
http://mediaburn.org/video/chicago-slices-raw-mike-murphy-wscr/

Heeeeeey, it's Murph doing the evening show in 1993! In the first few minutes, I caught Mac, Boers (who at this point was still being somewhat civil with Murph), Ron Gleason, and Jerry Riles. And of course, the yellow pad!

Awesome find CH.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:40 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Seems like way too much going on for one man to handle, then try to talk about sports.

I remember listening to Murph in the early days at wls and especially early at the score losing his temper a lot. The producer would screw something up and Murph would go ballistic. He'd literally be screaming go to commercial now several times. They'd return from commercials and he'd be calmed down but still steaming.

Really tense and you could see why tempers flew.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 pm 

I think the cramped quarters of the old Score bred a lot of tension. Look at how Terry was taking up the entire hallway! Plus the studio looks like a hoarder died (I remember WAUK was the same way); of course you'd be stressed out trying to work in there. Quite a change from the antiseptic fluorescence of a modern studio.

But yeah, early on in that video Murph is screaming at Riles for not playing the long cut of the theme song, this after he complained that he only had a one-hour show!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 pm 

http://mediaburn.org/video/radio-faces-9/?t=20:30 Here's more classic Score:

Mike North wrote:
I think we treat our listeners with respect -- we'll give 'em the SEE YA! once in a while -- but they know that's good-natured fun. We don't hang up on 'em, we don't do stuff that would maybe make them feel bad, because they won't come back.

Congratulations, Jason Goff! You understand radio less than circa-1996 Mike North.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
http://mediaburn.org/video/radio-faces-9/?t=20:30 Here's more classic Score:

Mike North wrote:
I think we treat our listeners with respect -- we'll give 'em the SEE YA! once in a while -- but they know that's good-natured fun. We don't hang up on 'em, we don't do stuff that would maybe make them feel bad, because they won't come back.

Congratulations, Jason Goff! You understand radio less than circa-1996 Mike North.

Murph insists he never owned black leather pants.

When I would watch somewhat recent score or wgn live video stream all the hosts did is host. Murph reminded me of curleys one man band.

Nobody was hateable back them. I don't remember hating Chet coppock, Chuck swirsky, early Murph, or even mike north. There's so much sports radio now a lot of the talk is pointless.

Murph took so much mocking from b&b claiming he was an idiot, look how organized and hard working he is. B&b always would make Murph feminine in their mocking which was puzzling. That was bad blood that really got ugly.
Murph was on the outs at Terry's farewell and they never patched it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Murph insists he never owned black leather pants.

He rented them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

man that was awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Seems like way too much going on for one man to handle, then try to talk about sports.

I remember listening to Murph in the early days at wls and especially early at the score losing his temper a lot. The producer would screw something up and Murph would go ballistic. He'd literally be screaming go to commercial now several times. They'd return from commercials and he'd be calmed down but still steaming.

Really tense and you could see why tempers flew.

Murph at WLS was a different Murph at the score.

@ WLS he had a Sunday night show if I remember. Once a week show. He was really eased back and you could tell in his voice he just felt like the luckiest guy to be on the air. He use to even take callers from mentally hanidcapped people who their dads/moms would put on the phone to talk w/ Murph and Murph would be great with them. He would say 'hey pal' or something really nice to make the person feel important. A caller once called and thanked him and murph gave credit to an old Chicago radio person who I dont remember the name of right now.

@ the Score Murph turned into something else. Remember the early score was on like 5 hours a day but as they grew, seems like murph's patience diminished. those same calls he use to take for those mentally hanicapped kids he didnt have time for. I remember one guy who was a old caller from WLS tried to put his kid on and murph wasn't in a playful mood. the guy at the end of the call said like he was disappointed. I'm sure as the years went by more shit was going on at WSCR that murph really couldn't take anymore. If it wasn't for the bullies mcneil and boers or murphs show booking huge ratings but still being 3rd fiddle to the HFC or North and Jiggets.

Then there was an infamous call from channel 32 sports anchor. Williams? i forgot his name right now but african american dude who called murph a racist on the air. at the time everyone was confused why he would do that but later on on the old forums we heard from ex producers where murph would say or imply some really stupid insensitive things about african americans. and of course the producers say he was abusive to everyone of them

who knows what happened but those 2 murphs were different. also could be guy was getting older and cranky.

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.