It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mac out
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I figured that maybe 7-8 years have passed and maybe some water under the bridge maybe?

MJH was awesome and a must listen back in the day. Waddle is about as close to being Tiny One (in terms of the guy you can sort of pick on in a fun manner)

Unless Tiny would be able to come back and get the original band back together.

It's over. It ain't 2001.

As I said before, what Mac would we get regardless of the station? 1/2 of his last stint at the Score was a depressing surrender. No fire, no passion, a tank left empty. You think you'd get fiery Mac back?

Iove the Mackeroo, but the sream is dead and buried.

I think that he's still got some gas left in the tank. I think an MJH type of thing would re-vive him. I just think the parameters would have to be made crystal clear in any contract about conduct or any of that stuff. He might have been happy at WDRV for awhile maybe, but I never really felt it was the right fit as far as a show goes.

Point taken, the dreamer in me agrees. Get him a solid pairing that doesn't kill his spirit (anywhere BUT the Score can this take place) and he thrives. A spirit awoken, a bkner pulsing with blood and semen.

I'm in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
VF21 wrote:
Surprise surprise. "I never roll out of bed for less than 300k." Maybe Mac should just never roll out of bed again. He seems to like it that way anyway. Lazy fuck.

Gloop?

pizza_Place: Malnatis
SomeGuy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I figured that maybe 7-8 years have passed and maybe some water under the bridge maybe?

MJH was awesome and a must listen back in the day. Waddle is about as close to being Tiny One (in terms of the guy you can sort of pick on in a fun manner)

As I said before, what Mac would we get regardless of the station? 1/2 of his last stint at the Score was a depressing surrender. No fire, no passion, a tank left empty. You think you'd get fiery Mac back?

I think that he's still got some gas left in the tank. I think an MJH type of thing would re-vive him. I just think the parameters would have to be made crystal clear in any contract about conduct or any of that stuff. He might have been happy at WDRV for awhile maybe, but I never really felt it was the right fit as far as a show goes.

Point taken, the dreamer in me agrees. Get him a solid pairing that doesn't kill his spirit (anywhere BUT the Score can this take place) and he thrives. A spirit awoken, a bkner pulsing with blood and semen.

I'm in.

Prepare to be disappointed. Too bad he hates basketball - him and Derrick Rose have a lot in common when it comes to showing up for work.

Last edited by VF21 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pizza_Place: Malnatis
Terry's Peeps wrote:
VF21 wrote:
Surprise surprise. "I never roll out of bed for less than 300k." Maybe Mac should just never roll out of bed again. He seems to like it that way anyway. Lazy fuck.

Gloop?

No, just not a fan of his laziness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Mac seems like an okay guy, but who gives a shit about his free agency? He's past his prime and has bad sports thoughts, anyway. It's sad that an old guy who can "drive" (or in other words, speak coherently on the radio about sports topics without veering into discussions about Nintendo games or his years as a club league catcher) is seen as some prized asset primed for a bidding war.

How about if this city actually finds some new talent that isn't comprised of vanilla douchebags? There are plenty of people who post on this very site that are more interesting than these turds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac seems like an okay guy, but who gives a shit about his free agency? He's past his prime and has bad sports thoughts, anyway. It's sad that an old guy who can "drive" (or in other words, speak coherently on the radio about sports topics without veering into discussions about Nintendo games or his years as a club league catcher) is seen as some prized asset primed for a bidding war.

How about if this city actually finds some new talent that isn't comprised of vanilla douchebags? There are plenty of people who post on this very site that are more interesting than these turds.

Leash and ltg.

Middays.

On the SCORE!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
SomeGuy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

I'm in.

Me too. Hope he's back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I wonder if bigfan is going to do a show out in AZ. He and I were talking of doing a podcast with some others. Never materialized....especially since he heard the Sports Huddle Crap show I did.

"Met Carson Palmer the other day during a round, good dude. Gonna be on my radio show"

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Mac will be back on WSCR in time for Bears training camp.

Mac's too good a fit for the SCORE's aging demo. Mac will be on the radio as long as he's willing to take a haircut on compensation every new contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I wonder if bigfan is going to do a show out in AZ. He and I were talking of doing a podcast with some others. Never materialized....especially since he heard the Sports Huddle Crap show I did.
He would drag you down.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Da Ma Na will be back at the SCORE.

Da Ma Na will get his revenge on Ja Sa Go

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:52 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Is that a character from Star Wars?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Goff was in Star Wars?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:59 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Goff was in Star Wars?

Yes, along with Dustin Hoffman.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:12 pm 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:

"Met Carson Palmer the other day during a round, good dude. Gonna be on my radio show"

What does this have to do with Mac being out at the drive?

I wonder what my wife is cooking for dinner tomorrow? Probably nothing since I complained that she overcooked the chicken today.

I met the indian dude from the simpsons the other day while getting a cherry slurpee. Gonna save it and refill it for free when they have bring any container to seven eleven day and fill it up for free.

Or maybe I will bring a water jug. You think that would be too heavy to carry?

Oh look a rainbow. I love rainbows!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:15 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

I wonder what my wife is cooking for dinner tomorrow? Probably nothing since I complained that she overcooked the chicken today.

I met the indian dude from the simpsons the other day while getting a cherry slurpee. Gonna save it and refill it for free when they have bring any container to seven eleven day and fill it up for free.

Someone mentioned that there should be "new blood" instead of retreads, maybe one of the board members, so I mentioned Baggie.

And I too love rainbows.

Last edited by Eaglo Jeff on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Juiced wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Are you sure you've been part of this place for nearly 10 years?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Would love it if Mac could get on with Waddle and Jurko and then Silvy could team up with Carmen again. I think that would help ESPN 1000 ratings greatly and they would crush The Score.

This of course is without knowing any info of all their contracts.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. I'll go with :drunken:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:28 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Can you please write out a scenario where this happens? The one time you don't make up stupid quotes, and now I have to ask for them.

Jesus Christ.

Bernstein: "That's great. My kid--"

*sock*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:29 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Would love it if Mac could get on with Waddle and Jurko and then Silvy could team up with Carmen again. I think that would help ESPN 1000 ratings greatly and they would crush The Score.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. I'll go with :drunken:

I wish I were.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:35 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Are you sure you've been part of this place for nearly 10 years?

I'm just messing with him. Eagle seems like a good dude.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Mac fans talking about motivated Mac are like Bulls fans talking about healthy Derrick Rose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Here's the Feder article. I can't believe he was getting $250,000 a year for what he was contributing. Not as stunned as I am that Boers makes $500,000 a year for a half-assed attempt at pretending he knows what's going on around him, but still. If you heard Mac on the air 10 or 15 years ago you heard just about everything he said while he was on WDRV. The same expressions, the same stories, etc. He's sort of Chicago radio's version of Chris Berman.

Dan McNeil, the veteran Chicago sports radio host whose talent and temperament never quite meshed with a music station’s morning show, is out after 16 months at Hubbard Radio classic rock WDRV FM 97.1.

John Gallagher, vice president and market manager of Hubbard Radio Chicago, announced Thursday that McNeil had decided to step away from The Drive and had been released from his reported $250,000-a-year contract, which ran through March 2017. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed, but Gallagher said McNeil was free to accept employment elsewhere, effective immediately.

McNeil, 54, had been on a collision course with management for weeks. Since returning from a 10-day time-out, he had been cut out as morning co-host and relegated to delivering a three-minute sports report once an hour.

“I know the term is something of a cliche, but in this case, it just really was a ‘bad fit,’ ” Gallagher said of McNeil’s brief tenure. “Dan brought a lot of value, but it wasn’t the expectation that the audience had for the station.”

Pete McMurray, who had been teamed with McNeil on The Drive since February 2015, will continue hosting mornings solo, along with producer Scott Miller and news anchor Kathy Voltmer, Gallagher said. Additional changes to the format of the show are in the works.

“It was a very amicable separation, and nobody’s mad at anybody,” McNeil said in an interview Thursday. “The audience has indicated to us that they’re there for the music, and it makes all the sense in the world for the radio station to respond to its customers. That means a little less of a couple of guys flapping their gums every morning. So with a reduced role on the show, it was time to press the reset button on this and just go our own way.”

McNeil said he knew the stakes at the outset. “It’s always an experiment when you tweak a station,” he said. “This was the first time in the The Drive’s rich history that it was trying something a little bit different. You always know there’s a risk involved in that.”

What’s next for Danny Mac? “I’m going fishing — muskie fishing. That’s in my near future,” he said. “I’m also going to finish a book I started two years ago, and I’m going to entertain conversations with people who might be interested. . . . I’ve still got a good 10 years [in radio] left in the tank.”

While he didn’t rule out working for another music station, McNeil clearly hopes to return to sports talk radio.

“The timing on this for me is uplifting because we’re right on the verge of football season, and I’ve gone two consecutive football seasons without having a format for my favorite game, my passion,” he said. “More than anything, I love talking about the NFL — the Bears and the entire league. The last two years have been really, really difficult to grind my way through. The idea of a football season around the corner is very exciting to me.”

McNeil would not confirm that he already has reached out to one of his former stations, CBS Radio sports/talk WSCR AM 670, about a comeback. Other sources said he has.

“Dan did a great job for us,” Gallagher said in a statement. “His knowledge of sports combined with his passion for classic rock was an inspiration to our team. We expect that Dan will thrive in his future endeavors. He is a knowledgeable and talented radio host.”

Said program director Rob Cressman: “We look forward to what lies ahead for The Drive. Pete McMurray and the team have assembled a strong foundation. Our plans include a search for the chemistry and content mix that our audience has clearly requested. The considerable research and appraisal that accompanied the former incarnation of The Morning Drive will continue to determine where future opportunities exist to super-serve Chicago’s classic rock enthusiasts in the morning.”

According to Nielsen Audio ratings released Tuesday, mornings on The Drive ranked 12th overall with a 2.6 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 329,300.

At this point I don't understand the clamoring for him to return to WSCR or AM1000. He'll start off "reenergized" and it will go downhill from there. He might not be as unlikable as most other people at WSCR, but we've seen this movie before. The same thing that happened at WSCR, AM1000, WSCR again, and WDRV will happen wherever he ends up this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
In my stroll down the Larz memory cul de sac, I remembered that there is was a less terribly Larz-esque message board for a while. Turns out it's still around.

Less Terrible Larz-esque Message Board (LTLMB)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Telegram Sam wrote:
In my stroll down the Larz memory cul de sac, I remembered that there is was a less terribly Larz-esque message board for a while. Turns out it's still around.

Less Terrible Larz-esque Message Board (LTLMB)

Wow - Welcome to 1997. :shock:

Otherwise, I dig the tagline :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

I got it from a source in September telling me that Mac wants to return to afternoon sports talk in about a year and a half. Exact words from the source. So that would mean January or February. Which is when Goff's contract is up. That's also probably when Terry retires.

I gave this to you guys a month or so ago.

I know. None of you believe I have a source. But I do. This is the only time I've ever claimed so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Carmen and Silvy were great and I think they'd be better now. When Waddle and Jurko are on it's good. He might not be too far off here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Seems like he should just do Bears' post-game on the Score with the OB-lite thoughts, which would be better than the crap they had on last season.

$250k/year for say 44 weeks/year at a full time gig is about $1150-$1200 a show. Give him $2k/game to do the post-game show, and maybe a $1500/night package to guest host for Laurence on Friday nights during the football season when the Cubs aren't playing. Just enough for him to do the parts he claims to love without all the rest of the angst.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Goff was in Star Wars?

Yes, along with Dustin Hoffman.

Wait, who?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. I could see the SCORE easing Mac in until contracts expire by giving him Bears pre and/or post. But Mac loves his NFL Sundays at his "crib" (That's Goff talk for "House" in case you're reading, Mac)

I don't know if he wants to give that up. But maybe he would if he's promised a full time show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next