It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shut Up and Play Music!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I heard a commercial over the weekend saying something to the effect of "You said there was too much yakking in the morning and not enough music, and we listened."

There is less chit-chat and the annoying (at least to me) "This Day is Rock History" at 7:00 AM has been cut.

I thought the ratings actually went up after Mac got the boot? Or were they, despite the increase, still lower than they were before they switched to the talkier format in the morning?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I gave the Drive a try last night to see how they were doing outside of mornings. It's just the Loop without "Hot Blooded" once a day, and I'm only saying that because it might be once every two days. The Drive needs to rediscover its hippy-dippy singer-songwriter roots. I'm bored.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
I gave the Drive a try last night to see how they were doing outside of mornings. It's just the Loop without "Hot Blooded" once a day, and I'm only saying that because it might be once every two days. The Drive needs to rediscover its hippy-dippy singer-songwriter roots. I'm bored.

This has been my frustration with the programming as well. Honestly, I have no reason to listen to radio other than 670. XRT can be good on occasion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:12 pm 

XRT's new imaging is disastrous. Now they're mandating the jocks to backsell songs as requests from -- or dedications to? -- random suburbs/neighborhoods, e.g. "That was new Chili Peppers for Park Ridge." Was it? Was it really? It reeks of consultant so hard. Way down we go indeed.

The Loop and the Drive were at their best, oddly enough, when both were under the auspices of the Mormon Church. The Loop would play deep cuts off Physical Graffiti and the Drive would play an entire side of Chicago II. As competitors, you can't tell them apart.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Dear Lord I love 25 or 6 to 4. Or I went to Demon Dogs too many times while attending DePaul and I've been brainwashed. Either way its fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
working in radio seems like a really really horrible place to be. prayers to those involved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
XRT's new imaging is disastrous. Now they're mandating the jocks to backsell songs as requests from -- or dedications to? -- random suburbs/neighborhoods, e.g. "That was new Chili Peppers for Park Ridge." Was it? Was it really? It reeks of consultant so hard. Way down we go indeed.

The Loop and the Drive were at their best, oddly enough, when both were under the auspices of the Mormon Church. The Loop would play deep cuts off Physical Graffiti and the Drive would play an entire side of Chicago II. As competitors, you can't tell them apart.

This is on the money. Bonneville for a while owned the Loop and the Drive, as well as the Mix and the Lite (Light? whatever.) Each station programmed and imaged to the younger (Loop, Mix) and older (Drive, Lite) ends of the of the 25-54 male and female (and mostly white) demographic. The result was way less overlap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:56 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
The Loop's music is terrible, it's all bad 80s rock, if you can even call it that. The Drive used to have more selection of good songs that you don't often hear, but now are sounding more like the Loop.

Rock music itself is dead. I don't even like to listen to it anymore, because most of it is just noise.

If I hear "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "Sweet Home Alabama" one more time, I'm going to throw up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Classic rock definitely has a shelf life for me. I used to like most of these songs but they have filled their quota and then some. Oddly enough the only band that they play that I don't find annoying as shit is the Stones and I was never even a huge fan of them. Someone had 97.1 on all day at work yesterday and it was painful to endure. Stop playing fucking wings....never play wings again......and don't be afraid to play some god damn jethro tull. They still rock.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:22 am 

Classic rock definitely has a shelf life for me. I used to like most of these songs but they have filled their quota and then some. Oddly enough the only band that they play that I don't find annoying as shit is the Stones and I was never even a huge fan of them. Someone had 97.1 on all day at work yesterday and it was painful to endure. Stop playing fucking wings....never play wings again......and don't be afraid to play some god damn jethro tull. They still rock.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:22 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:56 am 

UMN's posting is more repetitive than The Drive's playlist.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
He's right about Tull though.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
At least Urlacher's hair has been found.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:13 am 

I know the Loop used to play "Aqualung," "Locomotive Breath," "Cross-Eyed Mary," and the radio edit of "Thick as a Brick." Couldn't play the full version of that one!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
The classic rock genre with all the same annoying songs is definitely played out.

Try some deep cuts as they call them. WTF?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:14 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

It's "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Wings/McCartney they play all the time. I used to like that song, but it's been played ad nauseum.

Another is "Run Like Hell" by Pink Floyd. When was that song ever good? The only songs I dislike more are "Take on Me" and "We Built this City". This is the kind of crap they're playing now.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:

you figure "SHUT UP AND PLAY MUSIC!" + "I don't roll out of bed for [under] $300k" = DA'MANEEL has quite possibly managed to out-terry terry, eh? except that i think mr. "addicted to weed" prolly has to get up and come into the station/studio everyday, whereas terry has the ISDN line which will get even more workout than #TheReturn (good luck and godspeed, uncle cracky!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:22 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

you figure "SHUT UP AND PLAY MUSIC!" + "I don't roll out of bed for [under] $300k" = DA'MANEEL has quite possibly managed to out-terry terry, eh? except that i think mr. "addicted to weed" prolly has to get up and come into the station/studio everyday, whereas terry has the ISDN line which will get even more workout than #TheReturn (good luck and godspeed, uncle cracky!)

Who would listen to McNeil without his weed addiction? That's how we got the "This Day in Rock History Segment".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm 

The Drive has been in a downward spiral for about 5 years now. They officially lost me when I heard Sanatana & Rob Thomas "Smooth" a couple years back. First of all, the song is from like 1999, so not classic rock, and secondly, the people who like it should be stabbed in the ear.