It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HERE YA GO
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Those who know me best were anything but surprised when I flashed a child-like excitement over the prospect of joining the air staff at 97.1 FM, the Drive. The passion I have for rock and roll often exceeds my affection for ballgames, movies or hobbies and I love the radio station. Additionally, a backdrop change had been high on my "to-do list" for some time.

Flapping my gums about sports in Chicago since the late 1980s was a dream realized early. I know I've had a lot of luck along the way and that a lot of important people have had my back. And I'm also grateful for the many listeners who've kept showing up for me. Stop after stop.

In the spirit of transparency, however, I admit to entertaining the thought "is that all there is?" more and more frequently.

It isn't any longer. Beginning early in March, the radio road takes a much-welcomed turn when I team with Pete McMurray to bat leadoff for the Drive. The reality it's the freaking Drive giving us the keys makes it too sweet to believe. This is the crown jewel of Chicago radio and I've got a roster spot.

Once again, my real life is exceeding the dreams I had for it. I'm well stocked with gratitude.

This is my natural habitat -- classic rock with splashes of "guy talk," including sports, especially the Blackhawks and the NFL. Big Chief MacHawk lives, but also heeds the Master's call and gets the Led out.

The Master called early. I was 8 or 9 when summoned by the rock and roll Gods. It doesn't seem like just yesterday, but my recall is vivid. As I lied on the couch on a brutally cold winter day, the sun already set, my mother was listening to the radio while preparing dinner. From the Magnavox console, there ascended a long, hypnotic keyboard solo. It was Ray Manzarek, who I later would learn was the glue for the Doors.

My antenna up, Ray's solo moved seamlessly into Jim Morrison crooning the first verse of "Light My Fire" an octave higher than he had the first few times through. I joined at the chorus because I wanted to, but it wasn't really a choice. Rock and roll chose me. Something whispered "you're coming with me."

I did. A paper route funded a collection of 45s. First album: Elton John's "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy." First concert: Rush, "2112" tour. First heartbreak: Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane going down in 1977. Baptism: doused by a firehouse-wielding Mick Jagger during the encore of "Satisfaction" on the Stones' "Some Girls" tour at Soldier Field in 1978.

In high school, I wrote music for the school paper. Yeah, I was Northwest Indiana's "William Miller" from Cameron Crowe's "Almost Famous." I'd be at the International Amphitheater, the Hammond Civic Center or the Stadium for a Cheap Trick, Yes or UFO show. There was a mini-notepad in one pocket and a half pint in the other. Friday nights were for "man up time" on the football field, but Saturdays were reserved for flying my freak flag.

The toggle between sports and music never ended so I did both at my college radio station, WBST 92.7 FM, at Ball State. "Here's a little somethin' from a band called the Pretenders" was the mantra overnights while afternoons were spent writing, producing and delivering sports updates.

My love for classic rock never waned, but my "tolerance" of sportsradio minutia did. So when Greg Solk, who oversees the Drive and 29 other stations owned by Hubbard Radio, called me in October to share his vision for the station and interest in my participation, there was no hesitation. Securing this gig the Drive became my new mission.

The Drive sparkles more than any station in town and I trust Solk's radio acumen as much as anybody's. He's a radio prodigy, tabbed to be program director at the Loop when he was 21. In 1988, Greg gave me my first big opportunity at AM-1000. I was 26 and had no business -- even as a substitute host -- following a program as big as "The Steve and Garry Show." But Solk believed in me and coached me up, suggesting what to do instead of what not to do. Now, here we are again.

For the most devoted Drive fans, rest assured the backbone of the radio station will remain the music. I promise you I'm here largely because I am an enormous fan of the station and I also will miss Steve Downes weekday mornings. He and Kathy Voltmer took me to work for the past five years.

One of my fondest radio experiences in this millennium was working with Steve, providing sports commentaries on his morning show on a different classic rock outlet, shortly before the Drive was born. The torch that's being passed has burned brightly and has warmed many for a long time. "Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive" perfectly depicts Steve Downes. It's an honor to be next.

I've been a card-carrying member of "The Stroud Crowd" for years and I'm also delighted to be under the same roof with Bobby Skafish for the third time. He's invariably the coolest cat in the room and we're teammates again. Thank Jah.

I also look forward to a reunion with the affable Matt Bisbee, long considered to be the gold standard of imaging directors in Chicago. Overnight host Greg Easterling is a former co-worker and a pen pal. Evening host Phil Manicki and I swap hockey texts from time to time.

My partnership with McMurray is off to a good start. He's punctual and has good hygiene. We're in lockstep on many approaches to doing radio. Pete is a versatile dude and he's always cheerful.

As I write this, I haven't stepped into the studio or seen my office yet, but already it feels like a comfortable new home. What becomes the mission statement next is ensuring the Drive's morning regulars still feel at home. I'm being driven to madness waiting to get started on that.

The way..ai ...ting is the hardest part. *Special Edit

Post subject: Re: HERE YA GO
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:42 pm 

Quote:
My partnership with McMurray is off to a good start. He's punctual and has good hygiene. We're in lockstep on many approaches to doing radio. Pete is a versatile dude and he's always cheerful.

IOW's these were things Meatpants struggled with

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Quote:

IOW's these were things Meatpants struggled with

Those could be shots at several of his past partners:

Jurko = not always punctual, not noted for personal hygiene
Meat = sometimes moody/brooding
Harry = not in "lockstep" with Mac in radio approach
Boers = not versatile
Jiggs = not versatile

Or he's just trying to be complimentary to his new partner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 pm 

True.

In reality I think they were more shots at Harry than Meat.

But I hate whiney bitch meat, so I will pretend they are all about him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:58 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think it was just a joke based on the fact that there was little else to say this early. Buncha T.S. Eliots up in here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:01 pm 

RFDC wrote:
True.

Just wait until you get a regular dose of McMurray.....if you choose to do that

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 pm 

spanky wrote:
RFDC wrote:
True.

there lies a possible future problem, but new marriage will be fine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
spanky wrote:
RFDC wrote:
True.

Yea, Pete is awful. If you thought Adam Harris & Hoge were nasally, wait until you hear him.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:29 pm 

spanky wrote:
RFDC wrote:
True.

that bad?

Is he a whiney little bitch like meat?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Here is a clip of Pete McMurray while he was at WGN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p95FppQnjZI

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Welcome back, Mac. Looking forward to it. Also, thanks for the letter, particularly the middle part about the day Lady Classic Rock came a-calling, as it will be repurposed on this board a minimum of seven times, including at least once each by Dr. Ken and Curious Hair.

Here's a topic: Will Ted Nugent ever get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:51 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Telegram Sam wrote:
Welcome back, Mac. Looking forward to it. Also, thanks for the letter, particularly the middle part about the day Lady Classic Rock came a-calling, as it will be repurposed on this board a minimum of seven times, including at least once each by Dr. Ken and Curious Hair.

Here's a topic: Will Ted Nugent ever get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Truth be told, I checked out after paragraph 38.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:59 pm 

Fuck you, Mac. I'm not getting sucked in yet again to have you drop another purple turd in the punch bowl and walk away. Good luck with your fifth mid-life crisis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 am 

thanks speigs for being a pussy and driving away talent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm just so happy for Mac. He had the chance to return to The Score and chose an alternate path that is more intriguing to him. I'm looking forward to giving the show a listen, as soon as it begins. Selfishly, I wish it were a sports station he was going to, as I enjoy his sports talk more than talk about rock and roll and other subjects. But I hope it turns out to be a great choice and I respect that he has followed his heart, rather than taking the easier path.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:22 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I'm just so happy for Mac. He had the chance to return to The Score and chose an alternate path that is more intriguing to him. I'm looking forward to giving the show a listen, as soon as it begins. Selfishly, I wish it were a sports station he was going to, as I enjoy his sports talk more than talk about rock and roll and other subjects. But I hope it turns out to be a great choice and I respect that he has followed his heart, rather than taking the easier path.

Did you type this naked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
spanky wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Did you type this naked

That, and one-handed.

Grobber wrote:
and the horse that rode in on him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:42 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Quote:
Spotify said: "who cares?"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The comments I made about McMurrary weren't meant to be shots at any former partners. Just complimenting Pete (while failing to be funny, apparently). As I think about it, however, yeah.... a couple of former partners violated those qualities. Jurko was always punctual though.... prompting his expression "A dollar waitin' on a dime" as we waited for Harry to begin a meeting or a commute when on the road.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
spanky wrote:
RFDC wrote:
True.

McMurray is the EJax of Chicago radio. Never terribly successful but keeps getting run out there.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Seacrest disagrees with me but it really isn't all that different of a career path. It's not like he opened a lodge in Canada. He talked sports. Now he will talk rock (between the years 1960-90).

As far as difficulty, he had to carry a show 4 hours per day on sports radio. The music drives all drive shows.

It would be kind of fun to see Dan blow it all up and do a morning zoo. w NNNNN bc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 am 

Mac FM wrote:
The comments I made about McMurrary weren't meant to be shots at any former partners. Just complimenting Pete (while failing to be funny, apparently). As I think about it, however, yeah.... a couple of former partners violated those qualities. Jurko was always punctual though.... prompting his expression "A dollar waitin' on a dime" as we waited for Harry to begin a meeting or a commute when on the road.

I am guessing Jurko, Harry, and Meat all had hygiene issues

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

I love the move because it means less Elmhurst Steve calls to the Score.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
spanky wrote:
Did you type this naked
:lol: :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:35 pm 

Mac FM wrote:

i have worked with guys who breath is horrible... stinks up the whole room. i dont understand it. also with guys who refuse to wear deodorant. i mean REFUSE. i would say "dude you are RIPE" and they would reply "LOL yeah i havent showered in 4 days"

:roll:

i have literally quit jobs because coworkers hygiene is shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

I am guessing Jurko, Harry, and Meat all had hygiene issues

i dont know. speigel is one girly dude, i bet he actually keeps himself pretty darn clean. the parts he can reach anyway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
This Spiegel-Goff pairing may rival the "Bear and the Bull" for absolute non interest.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:56 pm 

Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
This Spiegel-Goff pairing may rival the "Bear and the Bull" for absolute non interest.

If Goff actually says what is on his mind, then you have a good show, but that wont happen being on 1 year probabtion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
I have not listened to over 90 seconds of Spiegel since Mac left. Does not matter who the partner is.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:59 pm 

NOT EVEN PICK 5???????????????????????????????