It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Yes, Mac has gone the way of SHARK. I listened that first day and haven't considered tuning back in since.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I listened the first day and had a similar reaction. Unfortunately, M&H has grown on me and is an acceptable listen. At least they are always talking local sports and recap all the stuff happening in Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Agree.

No idea what he is getting paid on this gig, but I've listened MAYBE 5 minutes total since he started and it was a waste of those 5 minutes.

I guess Mac made his point and is happy????

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:12 am 

Mac was often accused of being lazy and uninterested. I think this gig just fits that criticism. The only person who could mess up that job is Kerry Sayers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
denisdman wrote:
Mac was often accused of being lazy and uninterested. I think this gig just fits that criticism. The only person who could mess up that job is Kerry Sayers.

Yea but why get up that early to do this job?? No way in Hell he is getting big money for this??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 am 

I am not sure what his motivation is. It does seem strange that he would get up this early, but I guess you have to take the opportunities as they come. I guess he gets to sleep through 90% of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:21 am 

Not even sure why he drives into the studio for this. He could smoke cigarettes and do updates from his basement. I'm glad that he is happy and enjoying
his new venture but it was a big disappointment and waste of talent in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Someone used the phrase "organic". The 1 minute of talk per half hour between the two isn't organic at all. "OK, after this Steely Dan song we will each list 3 women in their 60's that we think are still hot. OK?". "OK". "After that it will be news, traffic and weather. Then a commercial and two more songs. After that let's each list 3 album covers that we thought we cool, OK?" "OK".

I really wish he was back on the Score. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:34 am 

I still don't understand why anybody would think this show would be anything different than has been. The Drive had a top morning show before Downes retired, they're not going to tear up that winning format.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 am 

I WAS going to check this show out because of Mac...and hopeful that there was more talk, sports and other. However, I have not tuned in once because of the feedback I have read here on CSFMB. Based on what I've read here, I have NO interest in the format & music. damn shame...I often like Mac & his personality, or should I say personalities? :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I don't really "believe" Pete MacMurray for this format. He seems like a music radio lifer just plugged into what could just as easily be CHR or Contemporary Country.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 am 

Douchebag wrote:
I still don't understand why anybody would think this show would be anything different than has been. The Drive had a top morning show before Downes retired, they're not going to tear up that winning format.

Bringing in a couple of talk show vets for your morning show, why wouldn't we think it would be something different? You could have gotten anybody to do the
format they are doing now. I certainly would have thought there would have been at least 10-15 minutes of talk per hour but it doesn't even come close to
touching that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Finally fell into an opportunity to listen to Mac's new experiment yesterday when I had to drop my kid off at school.

You see, I like Sports Talk. I cannot listen to music in my office - it is too loud and distracting, and it gives no "time cues" (i.e. I can tell, while I am working, what time of day it is by listening to certain shows and how they talk, and it helps me pace-out my day).

Even if I did want to listen to music, society has progressed to the point where I can choose exactly what I want to hear - so there is never a chance that I would be subjected to Peter Gabriel or Elton John.

Anyhow, getting back to the meat-n-patatahs, I clicked on 97.1.

A ZZ To song was on. ZZ Top is ok - nothing against them. They are cool when you are cleaning the garage, or on a boat drinking Coronas, but they do nothing for me when I am driving.

Ok, finally, song over.

Pete "Rectangular Smile" McMurray jumps in and announces a "Sports Update" by Dan McNeil. Yes.

Our Dan McNeil.

Show Driver.

Reduced to giving blurby updates.

Mac spoke about 2-3 sports subjects in the span of like a minute or two, popped off an opinion that nobody could or did have a chance to volley, and then off it was to another tired rock song that I would never choose on a jukebox (I actually think it was Peter Gabriel, but I could be wrong because. . . .

CLICK!

Experiment over. Back to boring-ass Mully and Hanley. I think I was tuned in for a total of MAYBE 4 minutes.

Thanks a lot, Mac. :(

TLDR

but hey as a consolation prize here's some proper driving music for you that isn't drum and bass, which btw is hands down the best driving music on the planet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:45 am 

Just a bit off topic, but I've noticed alot of people say they are not a fan of the Classic Rock format. I would have thought that's the bread and butter of the middle aged white guy. What music are you guys listening to instead?

Please don't say The Lite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Bringing in a couple of talk show vets for your morning show, why wouldn't we think it would be something different? You could have gotten anybody to do the
format they are doing now. I certainly would have thought there would have been at least 10-15 minutes of talk per hour but it doesn't even come close to
touching that.

My thoughts as well. I fully expected the show to have more talk. Why hire talk guys to spin music?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:50 am 

Doing work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:52 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Just a bit off topic, but I've noticed alot of people say they are not a fan of the Classic Rock format. I would have thought that's the bread and butter of the middle aged white guy. What music are you guys listening to instead?

I'll listen to pretty much anything that isn't country music made after 1990.

I am clearly not the target of this show. Classic rock to me is for commercials and to fill the silence at sporting events. Queen is good though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I am clearly not the target of this show. Classic rock to me is for commercials and to fill the silence at sporting events. Queen is good though.

You're not a middle aged white guy, yet. You'll get there soon enough. Enjoy, "Getting The Led Out".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I listened that first day for about 10 minutes.

Honestly, I forgot he was on until I saw this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56 am 

Douchebag wrote:

If I listen to music, it is one of the country stations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I pretty much stopped listening to music about 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 am 

Douchebag wrote:

I think it is missing the Gen X portion of the listening audience. I am just speaking for myself of course, but I have heard all the classic rock stuff for the past 30 years. I think we
touched on this a few weeks back, but they need some kind of classic alternative station with music from the late 80s through early 2000s. If not a whole station then at least a
program for 4-5 hours that would focus on this time frame. At least it would be different and not the same reheated canned stuff. Maybe there is something like that but I don't
know what it is. The few times I punch in FM radio my presets are for XRT and 88.9 in Milwaukee is a pretty awesome station that is somewhat similar playing newer alternative
stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

You're not a middle aged white guy, yet. You'll get there soon enough. Enjoy, "Getting The Led Out".
I can't wait until classic rock includes Green Day and Bowling For Soup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:59 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I think it is missing the Gen X portion of the listening audience. I am just speaking for myself of course, but I have heard all the classic rock stuff for the past 30 years. I think we
touched on this a few weeks back, but they need some kind of classic alternative station with music from the late 80s through early 2000s. If not a whole station then at least a
program for 4-5 hours that would focus on this time frame. At least it would be different and not the same reheated canned stuff. Maybe there is something like that but I don't
know what it is. The few times I punch in FM radio my presets are for XRT and 88.9 in Milwaukee is a pretty awesome station that is somewhat similar playing newer alternative
stuff.

Sirius/XM does the 80's alternative and even the classic rock format so much better. These stations like The Drive just need to open up the playlist a bit, and not focus on the same 200 songs over and over.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:00 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I don't just crack-out on a wild blob of unpunctuated grammatically-incorrect loonybabble and then say "VOILA! Admire my masterpiece!"

hey panther, when i was getting a bunch of odd people/actors showing up in/around my life in 2012 did you know one of them pretended to be you? you might get a kick out of that.

anyways wow coming from you that is some grade-A character assassination and i dont know how to take it. have fun at your next poker night dude!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
After "Free Bird" they spent a minute discussing lighters vs cellphones at concerts and then their go-to karoake song.

Riveting stuff :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Kirkwood wrote:
After "Free Bird" they spent a minute discussing lighters vs cellphones at concerts and then their go-to karoake song.

Riveting stuff :lol:

It sounds like wacky "morning zoo" type stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

stuff.

Sirius/XM does the 80's alternative and even the classic rock format so much better. These stations like The Drive just need to open up the playlist a bit, and not focus on the same 200 songs over and over.

But as you stated, they had success doing it exactly that way already. Their listening audience must be entirely made up of Ligue's. Why change it?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:36 am 

Panther: I'm NOT trying now... Don't you realize its way easier to "post" like y'all then it was to post like I did?

Btw that cellphone/lighter stuff is something I feel strongly about. Definite sign of the pussification of america, just like how when you used to go to a concert you KNEW you had seen a show when you hit the shower afterwards and you'd smell ashtray when the water hit your hair. RIP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

stuff.

But as you stated, they had success doing it exactly that way already. Their listening audience must be entirely made up of Ligue's. Why change it?

They probably won't change it. But terrestrial radio stations probably aren't targeting music fans anyway, so I guess I'm stuck looking elsewhere.