It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I have said before that there are tons of broadcast graduates around the country native to Chicago. The problem is the Score does not clean out the status quo to give any a chance.

They got rid of North, Murphy, and Mac, I'd call that cleaning out the status quo.

That was 10 plus years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:34 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I have said before that there are tons of broadcast graduates around the country native to Chicago. The problem is the Score does not clean out the status quo to give any a chance.

They got rid of North, Murphy, and Mac, I'd call that cleaning out the status quo.

That was 10 plus years ago.

Mac was about 6 months ago. Murph was about 5 years ago, and North was maybe 6.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

They didnt just get rid of them. Mac and North had offers to stay, they both left. So they didnt want either of them gone.

I would say $750K for North isnt a 'We want you gone" statement.

Mac wanted something else on the Score and I think it would have been much better than the dieing crap that you people keep promoting!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:51 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

They didnt just get rid of them. Mac and North had offers to stay, they both left. So they didnt want either of them gone.

I would say $750K for North isnt a 'We want you gone" statement.

Mac wanted something else on the Score and I think it would have been much better than the dieing crap that you people keep promoting!

You people?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
you people are you people

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:54 pm 

youse people?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

So Mac doesn't talk much? 5 minutes per hour you guys say?

Well, I guess it's an easy job for the pay. It was said he turned down 350k from the SCORE. But that's a lot more work. I would imagine Mac wouldn't do this gig for less than 200k. But if you only talk 5 minutes per hour, that's pretty good pay per word spoken.

Mac gets a lot of cigarette breaks and gets to listen to clasic rock all morning. Good for him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
I find it a bit interesting that Mac has yet to post to this board since starting his gig on The Drive two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
pittmike wrote:

My guy in Valpo, would be awesome here and I think Mitch might even know him from High School....which might not be a good thing for my guy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
pittmike wrote:

The broadcast grads usually aren't the ones that are liked. There aren't a lot of likeable people on the radio.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
After "Free Bird" they spent a minute discussing lighters vs cellphones at concerts and then their go-to karoake song.

Riveting stuff :lol:

It sounds like wacky "morning zoo" type stuff.

I would listen if Mac started doing voices.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:32 am 

spmack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Mac thought that this was what everyone wanted to hear. He believed that his whole guy talk persona was the reason that he was popular. He had an everyman way of conducting sports talk radio and he believed that it would translate over to the music side because he incorporated music into his talk show. The problem with guys like Mac is that when transferred into the musical arena he will be exposed as a lightweight and the guys that liked his sportstalk style have found that they didn't like him all that much. He was an alternative to the vanilla style guys that you typically find on sportstalk radio and that was much of his appeal.

Wow, spot on.

If only your basketball thoughts were better. :D

Wrong. People not listening to the Drive show aren't listening because they want MORE Dan.

I have life long friends that I love to hang out with. I tune them out when they talk about their golf games. This is a version of the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:40 am 

good dolphin wrote:
spmack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Mac thought that this was what everyone wanted to hear. He believed that his whole guy talk persona was the reason that he was popular. He had an everyman way of conducting sports talk radio and he believed that it would translate over to the music side because he incorporated music into his talk show. The problem with guys like Mac is that when transferred into the musical arena he will be exposed as a lightweight and the guys that liked his sportstalk style have found that they didn't like him all that much. He was an alternative to the vanilla style guys that you typically find on sportstalk radio and that was much of his appeal.

Wow, spot on.

Wrong. People not listening to the Drive show aren't listening because they want MORE Dan.

I have life long friends that I love to hang out with. I tune them out when they talk about their golf games. This is a version of the same thing.

Either I don't understand your point or you don't understand mine. Either way there is a disconnect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Wrong.

People not listening to the Drive aren't listening because they don't want to hear Purple Haze 5 times a day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
long time guy wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I think you are right. I had a love/hate regard for North back in the day, but I loved sports & sports radio so there was a common ground. I never hated Mac...but again liked him as my SPORTS talk guy! North thought he was more than a sports guy...and Mac I guess the same. For me, take them out of that format and you are right....I just dont care so much what they have to say. Now as for North....I have continued to build a "hate" for him. He is a fucking idiot.

I think the guys that became very popular at the score i.e. Bernsie, Boers, North, Macneil all became afflicted by this disease. They began to think of themselves as being larger than the genre. Look at how much Bernsie, Boers, and Macneil all appear to hate sports now. It was not that way in the beginning and I have listened to the score since the first day they signed on. I never got the feeling that North hated sports. I think he merely wanted to branch off into something else. He more than any of the other ones had a national following and he wanted to parlay that into something else. It failed obviously. Macneil has always fashioned himself as a more intelligent version of North and hence he is attempting to do the same thing.

I think it's human nature that if you become successful, part of you starts to believe it was all you all along. To continue on with that thinking for years and years is a problem though. Maybe they have no one in their life to call them on their shit, because nobody does it at the station apparently.

You're spot on about what it was like in the beginning. Most gave off the impression that they were just happy for the opportunity to be on the air, then all of sudden they were above it all. Except for Memelo. That guy came off as smug right from the get go. How hard is it to get some talented people in here to talk sports. It's Chicago. There have to be better options out there.

Mac married an earner who probably sets him straight. She probably also makes enough that she could tell him to go follow his passion for a while. We all know he really always wanted to spin classic rock records. He will most likely get good ratings.

I think there was a recent quote that he couldn't see himself going back to talking sports after this most recent hiatus.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:52 am 

WindyCityBreeze wrote:
I find it a bit interesting that Mac has yet to post to this board since starting his gig on The Drive two weeks ago.

This disappoints me the most. I thought he was a board guy, not here just to promote his product.

Last year we lost a lot of guys who added to the perspective of the board. This year we have lost a lot of core.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 am 

Spaulding wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The broadcast grads usually aren't the ones that are liked. There aren't a lot of likeable people on the radio.

gets back to my point that Mitch has used the Score Search improperly. He should not be looking for the next Zach Zaidman. Those resumes come across his desk every day. He should be looking for the next Mike North, an unpolished guy you have to discover....and Dan Bernstein cannot be on the panel if you want to find THAT guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 am 

long time guy wrote:

So you think Mac is not being received well by listeners?

I dont think Mac was hired to talk about music. He was hired to do the everyman thing you spoke of and he does it well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 am 

good dolphin wrote:
WindyCityBreeze wrote:

This disappoints me the most. I thought he was a board guy, not here just to promote his product.

A lot of the guys that he associates with from off the board don't post here anymore either.
That's gotta play into it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
mac ought to do a podcast in addition to intro'ing bad songs. why the fuck not? eveybody else is doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:02 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

So you think Mac is not being received well by listeners?

I dont think Mac was hired to talk about music. He was hired to do the everyman thing you spoke of and he does it well.

Quiet as it is kept the whole everyman thing became a part of his persona the older he got. The "Heavy Fuel Crew" show which a lot of people remember fondly actually talked more sports. If he has to drive the show they will be in trouble. Its a rock station and I think people will rather hear Led Zeppelin than some guy talk about fishing. Babe Winkelman has never moved the needle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:17 am 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Wrong.

People not listening to the Drive aren't listening because they don't want to hear Purple Haze 5 times a day.

Wrong. Purple Haze is tolerable when limited and presented by the correct host

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:19 am 

long time guy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
spmack wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Wow, spot on.

Either I don't understand your point or you don't understand mine. Either way there is a disconnect.

You say he is exposed as a lightweight or someone we don't want to listen to. I responded that the complaint seems to be that people want to listen to him more. The views are opposing but not disconnected

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 am 

I don't know if they want to hear him do rock music. Its sort of like when Olbermann began doing politics. He wasn't particularly knowledgeable about it. Something tells me that this may be the case in this instance. We shall see.