It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
jimmypasta wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Brandy...You're a Fine Girl.

So bad it's good. :lol:

Actually Looking Glass was a hard rock act that just happened to release that song as a single by chance and it caught on with DJs on the east coast. People went to their shows expecting Brandy-like material and were dissapointed. I had one of their albums as a youth not very good. Got lucky with that song.

I named my first dog after that song. She lived 19.5 years.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:44 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I work with a guy who couldn't understand why I was sick of "Chinagrove".

Yeah, even though it's a part of the Lone Star State people don't seem to care.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

They just keep on lookin' to the east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Remember Mac, the intro to Sweet Emotion is 34 seconds long so get those Hawks thoughts in quick.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
badrogue17 wrote:
Remember Mac, the intro to Sweet Emotion is 34 seconds long so get those Hawks thoughts in quick.

:lol: That's funny as hell.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
yeah that was good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:

McMurray billboarded a sports segment coming up after this very song at around 6:30 this morning. I laughed so hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:45 am 

Heard Mac say this morning that Pete Rose should still be in the Hall of Fame despite the latest news. That was a safe bet!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Aren't people who follow the NHL familiar with the KHL? Mac mentioned this morning that the "Blackhawks acquired Viktor Tikhonov from the KHL, the Kontinental Hockey League...with a "K", HAHAHA, I don't know where that is."

I thought that was odd.

I don't follow the NHL all that closely and often hear references to the KHL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Mac isn't a true hockey fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:19 am 

IMU wrote:

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

They just keep on lookin' to the east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Hawg Ass wrote:
IMU wrote:

:roll:

Emoji roll those eyes all you want. Top prospects come over from the KHL every year. The KHL is referenced during many telecasts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
NHL Network shows some KHL games throughout the year...it's a more interesting brand of hockey than the AHL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:30 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
NHL Network shows some KHL games throughout the year...it's a more interesting brand of hockey than the AHL

Did you read Igor Larionov's piece about why North American hockey sucks so much dick now? He singled out Patrick Kane as one who doesn't suck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:43 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Did you read Igor Larionov's piece about why North American hockey sucks so much dick now? He singled out Patrick Kane as one who doesn't suck.

I didn't...I don't necessarily agree with that entire stance, but I've long felt that there are too many teams in the NHL, the product is severely watered down, and the quality of the product has definitely suffered. That has also been the case in baseball. There doesn't seem to be a need for 30 teams, let alone the 31 or 32 that are being proposed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:13 pm 

Well, Larionov's point is that it's not the talent pool. The talent pool has players to spare. It's the coaching ruining everything.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/miracl ... ey-russia/

Quote:
The problem is more philosophical and starts way before players get to the NHL. It’s easier to destroy than to create. As a coach, it’s easier to tell your players to suffocate the opposing team and not turn the puck over. There are still players whose imagination and creativity capture the Soviet spirit — Johnny Gaudreau in Calgary, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews in Chicago just to name a few. However, they are becoming exceptions to the rule. Many young players who are intelligent and can see the game four moves ahead are not valued. They’re told “simple, simple, simple.”

That mentality is kind of boring. Nobody wants to get fired. Nobody wants to get sent down to the minors. If you look at the coaches in Juniors and minor league hockey, many of them were not skill players. It’s a lot of former enforcers and grinders who take these coaching jobs. Naturally, they tell their players to be just like them. Their players are 17, 18 years old — younger than I was when I joined the Red Army team. Say what you want about the Whiplash mentality (or the Soviet mentality), but if coaches are going to push kids at that age, why are they pushing them to play a simple game? Why aren’t coaches pushing them to create a masterpiece?

We lose a lot of Pavel Datsyuks to the closed-minded nature of the AHL and NHL.

I remember Datsyuk made a couple turnovers in a game when he first came to Detroit at age 23. Players on the team like Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Steve Yzerman and myself had to tell him, “Pavel, just keep doing what you’re doing.” Thankfully, Scotty Bowman had the wisdom to see his potential. If he was on a different team with a different coach who did not appreciate that kind of unique skill, Datsyuk might have been out of the league. He would be playing in the KHL tonight.

In Russia right now, there are four or five Datsyuks playing in the KHL who never got their chance. Sergei Mozyakin led the KHL in scoring last season and was in the scoring race for most of his 20s. But he’s 33 now and nobody in America has ever heard of him. Why? Most North American coaches don’t have the patience for his style of play.

I roll my eyes whenever I hear people talk about how fast the game is now and how sophisticated the systems have become. Watching the game, does it really seem much faster? Does it really seem more advanced? We had a saying in the Soviet days that I wish more coaches and scouts would adopt today: It’s not how fast you skate, it’s how fast you think.

There's no doubt in my mind that the NHL can support 32 teams -- if not necessarily in the 32 places the NHL has in mind -- if teams could just believe in playing to win.

Though it's funny that he singles out Toews as a player with offensive creativity when he's become almost the archetype of the North American play-not-to-lose player.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:18 pm 

I can definitely see Larionov's point...as the playoffs went along, there was a lot of safe hockey going on. Hell, Tampa got that 1-0 lead in game 1 of the Final, and went into full on "don't fuck up" mode.

I love watching video of those old Red Army teams. Tikhonov's signing yesterday got me thinking about those teams, and we spent most of the afternoon talking about them.

That style is why I always enjoyed watching those Red Wings teams once the Soviets started playing. I would love for the league to go back to that wide open style.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Quote:
The problem is more philosophical and starts way before players get to the NHL. It’s easier to destroy than to create. As a coach, it’s easier to tell your players to suffocate the opposing team and not turn the puck over. There are still players whose imagination and creativity capture the Soviet spirit — Johnny Gaudreau in Calgary, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews in Chicago just to name a few. However, they are becoming exceptions to the rule. Many young players who are intelligent and can see the game four moves ahead are not valued. They’re told “simple, simple, simple.”

That mentality is kind of boring. Nobody wants to get fired. Nobody wants to get sent down to the minors. If you look at the coaches in Juniors and minor league hockey, many of them were not skill players. It’s a lot of former enforcers and grinders who take these coaching jobs. Naturally, they tell their players to be just like them. Their players are 17, 18 years old — younger than I was when I joined the Red Army team. Say what you want about the Whiplash mentality (or the Soviet mentality), but if coaches are going to push kids at that age, why are they pushing them to play a simple game? Why aren’t coaches pushing them to create a masterpiece?

I remember Datsyuk made a couple turnovers in a game when he first came to Detroit at age 23. Players on the team like Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Steve Yzerman and myself had to tell him, “Pavel, just keep doing what you’re doing.” Thankfully, Scotty Bowman had the wisdom to see his potential. If he was on a different team with a different coach who did not appreciate that kind of unique skill, Datsyuk might have been out of the league. He would be playing in the KHL tonight.

In Russia right now, there are four or five Datsyuks playing in the KHL who never got their chance. Sergei Mozyakin led the KHL in scoring last season and was in the scoring race for most of his 20s. But he’s 33 now and nobody in America has ever heard of him. Why? Most North American coaches don’t have the patience for his style of play.

I roll my eyes whenever I hear people talk about how fast the game is now and how sophisticated the systems have become. Watching the game, does it really seem much faster? Does it really seem more advanced? We had a saying in the Soviet days that I wish more coaches and scouts would adopt today: It’s not how fast you skate, it’s how fast you think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 am 

Don't invite McMurray's wife and dog to your house.

The show's producer, Scott Miller, is remodeling his house and asked McMurray's wife to help him choose paint colors. When she came over she brought their new dog, Wrigley. The dog shit in Miller's newly-carpeted closet and started chewing up his new chairs, which were apparently not exactly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Wow, Mac let's McMurray actually call him Wrigley now? My how the mighty have fallen.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Curious Hair wrote:
I passively hear the show before swimming. It's better than Eric and Kathy.

Sums it up for me too (sans the swimming).....sorry Mac, I'll keep giving it a chance when I can, but something needs a little shot of something. Not sure what the "something" is though.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:23 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
KDdidit wrote:
Quote:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:46 am 

Kudos to Mac for driving to Detroit for the Rolling Stones concert last night then driving back and coming to work this morning. His former partner at WSCR would have definitely missed today and possibly tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Tad Queasy wrote:
Kudos to Mac for driving to Detroit for the Rolling Stones concert last night then driving back and coming to work this morning. His former partner at WSCR would have definitely missed today and possibly tomorrow.

To be fair, Mac wasn't exactly committed to the WSCR job either. It was a team effort to keep guest hosts gainfully employed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 am 

denisdman wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

To be fair, Mac wasn't exactly committed to the WSCR job either. It was a team effort to keep guest hosts gainfully employed.

That's true, he did miss a lot of time when he was there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:59 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

That's true, he did miss a lot of time when he was there.

But wasn't it vacation time, and yes I know there was time missed for his rehab.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I'm sure a big shot like Mac had someone drive him. Probably a Land Rover Limo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:55 am 

Mac is off today and Harry Teinowitz is sitting in for him. Knowing how awful Harry is, did Mac specifically ask to have him sit in so he'd make Mac seem better by comparison?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Tad Queasy wrote:
Mac is off today and Harry Teinowitz is sitting in for him. Knowing how awful Harry is, did Mac specifically ask to have him sit in so he'd make Mac seem better by comparison?

How does Harry keep popping up in the same places as Mac? Gay marriage is now the law of the land, and I suggest those two are destined for bromance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next