It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
https://twitter.com/DanMcNeil971

Dan McNeil ‏@DanMcNeil971 · 21h21 hours ago
"Hockey advocate" Mark Giangreco getting his ass kicked at the U.C. Maybe Peggy can help him with a guest or come up w questions for him.

Dan McNeil ‏@DanMcNeil971 · 22h22 hours ago
Ch,5 just had Kimmo. Giangreco got Bickell. Can anybody with a credential and a camera talk to a player? Okay... Sharp is on Ch.2. #Cowtown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Where the fuck does a time and temp dj get off criticizing anyone ? Remember Mac, that's time
3 ways.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:18 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Where the fuck does a time and temp dj get off criticizing anyone ? Remember Mac, that's time
3 ways.

Maybe Mac can talk really fast and have a 20 second 'Critics @ XL' to air his grievances.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 pm 

the thing that's always stuck in my craw about him talking again about the blackhawks is that he had no problem punching the "hockey horn" button back when they were bad. would not allow anyone to talk hockey, wouldn't take calls on hockey. then they start winning and he gets pretty chesty pretty fast. that's just not right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
W_Z wrote:
the thing that's always stuck in my craw about him talking again about the blackhawks is that he had no problem punching the "hockey horn" button back when they were bad. would not allow anyone to talk hockey, wouldn't take calls on hockey. then they start winning and he gets pretty chesty pretty fast. that's just not right.

Nope it's not right. Mac is a bandwagoner. Big time. I wonder if he'd admit to it??

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am not sure of that. I think Mac always loved hockey but was smart enough to hit the horn during the bad Hawk's era. It was not good business to take a in depth hockey call about Amonte or Zhamnov. It probably bothered him to not talk hockey for a decade.

The problem is the similar with other hosts now but opposite. They still make fun of hockey calls at the pinnacle and insist on talking national NBA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:23 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I am not sure of that.

he pushed that button with enough gusto that i am 100% sure of that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
W_Z wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I am not sure of that.

he pushed that button with enough gusto that i am 100% sure of that.

I know I listened. But at the same time I think it was for the show. He could tell you all about The Sakic/Forsberg Avalanche or the Claude Lemeiux Devils as much as the next hockey gay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Mac was the only CSFMB member I ever saw at a Blackhawks game at the UC prior to 2008.

He called it the pub at 1900 W Madison, or something like that. Cuz it was easy and cheap to get tickets and you could wander around the empty seats at will, watching Byfuglien and Burish and Kane and Toews and Sharp and Keith et al do their thing.

Nobody on this message board got any bidnezz calling anyone a bad hockey fan. jeez.

Mac and the afternoon saloon crew also stationed an intern inside the Blackhawks store on Michigan Ave for entire shows to count customers. I think the only customers they ever encountered were tourist hockey fans of other teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Darkside wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Nope it's not right. Mac is a bandwagoner. Big time. I wonder if he'd admit to it??

I don't think that's a fair assessment. I think he always liked hockey, knew you couldn't talk about it, and was pretty mad or disinterested in the Blackhawks, but lots of people were for good reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Spaulding wrote:
Darkside wrote:
W_Z wrote:

I don't think that's a fair assessment. I think he always liked hockey, knew you couldn't talk about it, and was pretty mad or disinterested in the Blackhawks, but lots of people were for good reasons.

Not talking about it because it does not drive ratings is a whole lot different from the Hockey Horn he played to chastise the discussion.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 pm 

I don't think of it as chastising. I don't know what he was like in his first go round at the score. I feel like on MJH he was a good driver of the show and that was not where he wanted the shows to go as there was no upside. I'd bet he kept up with hockey/Blackhawks those years even if it was some what apathetic. It's probably similar to how I feel about the Bears.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:55 pm 

Never thought I'd live to see the day more people go at Mac than Giangreco. Giangreco is a Chicago media non-entity with no career accomplishments other than "man-tanned body that filled a suit." Mac, for whatever he is now, was once the King of Sports Media in this town.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hussra wrote:
Mac was the only CSFMB member I ever saw at a Blackhawks game at the UC prior to 2008.

He called it the pub at 1900 W Madison, or something like that. Cuz it was easy and cheap to get tickets and you could wander around the empty seats at will, watching Byfuglien and Burish and Kane and Toews and Sharp and Keith et al do their thing.

Nobody on this message board got any bidnezz calling anyone a bad hockey fan. jeez.

Mac and the afternoon saloon crew also stationed an intern inside the Blackhawks store on Michigan Ave for entire shows to count customers. I think the only customers they ever encountered were tourist hockey fans of other teams.

I went to a ton of games when nobody cared, but I am proud to say I am a band wagon jumper. I never bought a ticket...still havent bought a Hawks ticket ever in my life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:21 pm 

bigfan wrote:

I went to a ton of games when nobody cared, but I am proud to say I am a band wagon jumper. I never bought a ticket...still havent bought a Hawks ticket ever in my life.

I (my husband) bought several. It's always a good time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/

Sloppy job hitting the post this morning. YOU NEED TO DO YOUR JOB BETTER DAN. A LOT BETTER.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:35 am 

Who is the Mac guy ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Didn't Mac write for the Blue Line? I think he was a legit fan but didn't talk much hockey on his show because he knew it wasn't what people wanted to hear at that time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:00 am 

he had an affinity for talking about movies that really don't belong in a sports talk show (for more than 5 minutes maybe), and it wasn't like he wouldn't take calls about other sports. if someone called in about soccer, jurk would say something and mac would just be quiet. they certainly didn't get run off the air with a taunting sound effect (akin to button 48).

even if it were for programming purposes, to come back with blackhawks talk as if none of that ever happened was just cheap. show a little humility for being so anti-blackhawk for so many years. now you're championing them and gloating about them all day long? come on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Zizou wrote:
Never thought I'd live to see the day more people go at Mac than Giangreco. Giangreco is a Chicago media non-entity with no career accomplishments other than "man-tanned body that filled a suit." Mac, for whatever he is now, was once the King of Sports Media in this town.

True dat. Nothing worse than the Giangreco mannequin putting on his cynical, seen it all (yet shockingly orange) face while doing his forced synergistic "hits" on Am1000. Howard f'ing Sudberry fell into this trap a bit before the business chewed him up and spit him out in a cubicle at Arlington Park.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Giangreco > McNeil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:59 pm 

When he was the producer of Coppock's show he was a big time hockey fan. His hockey chops were pretty bonafide. He was one of the few people willing to talk hockey. He started blasting the Hawks because of the way they were being marketed and owned by Wirtz. He disavowed them at a time that they were not that good and vowed never to return. I'm not a hockey fan but I was a McNeil listener at the time and sort of remember his stance. I always believed he never gave up on the Hawks I just believed he was reluctant to discuss the team on the air.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:36 pm 

If he was such a big Hawks fan...as one of the 'leading' sports talk voices in the city...he could have increased the interest in the club. He chose not to.

He cares about his salary and ratings above all else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
If he was such a big Hawks fan...as one of the 'leading' sports talk voices in the city...he could have increased the interest in the club. He chose not to.

If he talked about the Hawks when they sucked, he wouldn't have a radio job. THERE WAS A LACK OF INTEREST. You really don't get that?

People don't care about soccer. Do you think the hosts that do, should talk about soccer? Same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm 

I was interested. My friends were interested.

It is possible to get people interested in your interests. Be excited about it. Take 5 or 10 minutes... he talked about fishing. Do you think more people in Chicago fish or watch hockey?

Hockey is the answer now, and it was the answer 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
IMU wrote:

Mac may not have done much to increase interest in the club, but neither did Bill Wirtz & he owned the team.

Mac always mentioned that people would turn the dial when they talked hockey. The suits upstairs probably made sure there was little to no hockey talk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 am 

Colonel Angus wrote:
IMU wrote:

Mac may not have done much to increase interest in the club, but neither did Bill Wirtz & he owned the team.

Mac always mentioned that people would turn the dial when they talked hockey. The suits upstairs probably made sure there was little to no hockey talk.

So he's a corporate shill?

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:19 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
IMU wrote:

So he's a corporate shill?

Awesome.

Aren't we all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:26 am 

I think Mac would try to deny it.

Tell you what...if I ever get a radio show, you bet your ass I'd be trying to find the balance of talking about what I want when I want and not getting fired. If I have to leave $100K on the table and only make $400K to have more creative control, it would be worth it. I could feed my kids for $400K a year.

Mac would host a QVC program if it paid him the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:30 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
But don't listen to me, these Omaha Steaks practically sell themselves, Chicago!