It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTMX....WDRV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hubbard Broadcasting owning both.

WTMX is radio for Females. Yes, it is. They also own WSHE, which I guess is for Females? But nothing is more female than WTMX. Any guy that listens to that in the morning has his testicles locked up in another room and they are done.

All that being said...Greg Solk knows the potential of an all day guys station! He was there when it all started, Dahl, Mathews, Johnny B. This isnt something new to him. Just look out.

Post subject: Re: WTMX....WDRV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
WTMX is radio for Females. Yes, it is. They also own WSHE, which I guess is for Females? But nothing is more female than WTMX. Any guy that listens to that in the morning has his testicles locked up in another room and they are done.

Agree with all this, naturally.

100.3 is kind of a white elephant for Hubbard, and a mystery to me. They've always been afraid to put too much into it so as not to cannibalize WTMX's heavily female audience -- for instance, they recently had Robert Murphy pulling decent numbers in morning drive back when it was under the all-'80s format, but the numbers were a little too decent vis-a-vis Eric and Kathy next door, so they fired him. That'll teach him to get listeners! Nonetheless, they must get some benefit out of holding on to the station, even with the weaksauce adult-contemporary format it's been under since they gave up on Rewind two-ish years ago.

Given its redundancy with the Mix (which is for women, like you said, but they don't like to promote it as anything less than all things to all people, understandably), you'd think it would be a slam dunk to flip it to FM sports and move Mac, North, MacMurray, and whoever else they can round up. The only problem is that they're still pulling a middle 2 (ahead of the Loop and WBEZ, behind, well, most everyone else on FM) with little/no promotion and little/no air personalities, while the last run at FM sports talk lost to jazz out of Glen Ellyn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:17 pm 

Eric is the anti guy!
Put 98% of women will say he is great! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
bigfan wrote:
Eric is the anti guy!
Put 98% of women will say he is great! LOL

Fucking dude has made a lot of money last 10 years being "that" guy.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:19 pm 

never said he didnt...

Its OK if you listen to him....you can blame the wife for leaving the station on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:19 pm 

Its like Strahan, you sell out for the money....I never said I wouldnt do it for the cash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:23 pm 

Oh, I'd listen to bigfan and Kathy in the morning.

"THINKING ON THE WAY HERE...a Question for you...can you eat 80 McNuggets? Answer YES or NO, we gotta hit Traffic"
"Hmm, wow, oh gee that's some question--
"Gotta get to traffic here"
"Well, I think maybe if I cou--"
"SHUT UP KATHY I SAID YES OR NO"
"Well, I mean, it's just, what if they were chicken fingers?"
"WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT A YES OR NO QUESTION KATHY"
"Well, what if I asked people if they could eat chicken fingers and had my own question?"
"Okay, gotta get to traffic!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:29 pm 

Please....she couldnt handle it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
bigfan wrote:

All that being said...Greg Solk knows the potential of an all day guys station! He was there when it all started, Dahl, Mathews, Johnny B. This isnt something new to him. Just look out.

Maybe I'm dense but what are you saying? That the highly rated WDRV is seeking the lower ratings of primarily male stations?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Maybe I'm dense but what are you saying? That the highly rated WDRV is seeking the lower ratings of primarily male stations?

#rapeculture

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:01 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

I think he's saying that WSHE is redundant in Hubbard's cluster (which I corroborated with the Robert Murphy firing) and that making it a guy-talk station would be better for the Drive (more music), the Mix (less AC competition), and the market (more sports competition). And if he's not, then it's what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:35 am 

WSHE sounds like it would be for the active feminists....WTMX is for the Mini Van Army. I dont know what they do on that station after 9 AM, or even if that is the end of the E&K show, but that post 9 AM is primetime for that bon bon market, Oprah proved that. You can sell drugs to hefty women sitting at home.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:22 am 

bigfan wrote:
WSHE sounds like it would be for the active feminists....WTMX is for the Mini Van Army.

That might actually be an interesting programming idea: program WSHE as a mix of alt-pop gurlz (Lorde, Halsey, Misterwives) and old Lilith Fair granola bullshit. Dionne Farris on the 1s! A station that only plays women might be kinda cool.

As it stands, WSHE just functions as a copy of TMX but with more recurrents, or "variety," as they call it in radio marketing these days, though any real variety in genre like XRT does would be a PTFB to the target market. It's a lot like WXLC out of Waukegan, which is definitely Hot AC but can't shake the '90s hits from Oasis and the Goo Goo Dolls. I've always joked that XLC is for people in Vernon Hills who can't pick up the Mix in their offices because the walls are too thick.

As for your bon-bon army line, you'll be happy to know that they just ran a weight-loss spot twice in a row with the line "you might not be fat! You might just be bloated!" Well, that's a relief!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:27 am 

Incidentally, there are four radio stations mentioned in that post and I bet fucking Elle King plays on all four. Why is she here? Did Adele go to an island and lose The Most Dangerous Game?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:39 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Solk would like to become more like the Loop of the greatest days....he is going to try and Score and Music mix. Solk is the radio mastermind, if he thinks it plas, he will try it...but I like the way he slowly works it in. No major change, no shocker....just slow change.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 pm 

Just heard:

"SHE isn't like other stations. SHE does what she wants!"

then plays "Two Princes"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:32 pm 

Cat Thomas is the new program director at SHE! Also, "Cat Thomas" is a dude.

Quote:
Cat Thomas, a veteran radio programmer who has overseen station groups in Texas and Florida, has been named program director of WSHE FM 100.3, the Hubbard Radio adult contemporary station.

“Cat has a stellar reputation for leading winning brands, and we are thrilled to welcome him to Chicago’s fastest growing radio station — SHE,” John Gallagher, vice president and market manager of Hubbard Radio Chicago, said in announcing the appointment Wednesday.

Thomas, whose real name is Bill Drake,

What Women Want.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Roger Goodell's weird little brother.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
"you might not be fat! You might just be bloated!"

somebody tell your avatar that so he can stop holding his breath!

but yeah WSHE is really dropping the ball on eschewing the "discarded tampon radio!" format, which by my estimation would have a lot of alanis morrisette, liz phair, cranberries, no doubt, meghan trainor. and just enough sleater-kinney to give them some street cred.

but as you noted b4, any sleater-kinney would be PTFB for their demo and veritable suicide cuz music radio as a whole seems quite content ducking the chicken and the egg question and only playing stuff you know / have heard spammed enough to be comfortable with. music for people who think adventure is a bad word!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:17 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
but yeah WSHE is really dropping the ball on eschewing the "discarded tampon radio!" format, which by my estimation would have a lot of alanis morrisette, liz phair, cranberries, no doubt, meghan trainor. and just enough sleater-kinney to give them some street cred.

Also, what would be more male than assuming that women only want to listen to women? (And how much overlap is there between people who like Meghan Trainor and people who like Sleater-Kinney?) Still, '90s woman-fronted alternative of the type you named would make solid bedrock for a format.

Quote:
music radio as a whole seems quite content ducking the chicken and the egg question and only playing stuff you know / have heard spammed enough to be comfortable with.

Haha, reminds me of the XRT Listener Poll where they spend a year playing Lorde and the Foo Fighters every hour and then ask you who had the best song of the year: Lorde or the Foo Fighters?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
(And how much overlap is there between people who like Meghan Trainor and people who like Sleater-Kinney?)

well that's why i said they'd play sleater-kinney so ppl could namedrop it for street cred, otherwise ppl that the WSHE format is geared towards are ppl who don't go out and actively seek music outside of their comfort zone, aka stuff that massmedia forces on then en masse (and what's more male than forcing something on a chick in today's #RapeCulture? =) cuz you know, they only want to hear stuff that's been completely forced on them at some point (likely in the inherently male "let's play all female shit for the ladies cuz that's what the wimmenfolk want" just at an earlier point in the target demo's life so it has subliminable </W> hearkening a better time in their life cuz most people, whether they recognize it or not, are slowly but surely declining into sad pointless people so playing music from people's teenage years from b4 they realized they werent growing up to be an astronaut and/or princess = where the $$$ is)

but yeah the thought is that if WSHE was technically living up to the call letters it could use its stale "AC" format to get ppl listening then when they're comfortable with the hits of yesteryear thats when you drop the sleater-kinney so they can go "wow i bet the kids love that! i gotta remember this band and song name so i can namedrop it later" --- STREET CRED.

then just say that carrie braunstein(sp?) is the chick from portlandia and you're in like spmack after dinner and a few drinks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:41 pm 

Sleater-Kinney is for litbros. Real feminists listen to Beyonce.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Cat Thomas is the new program director at SHE! Also, "Cat Thomas" is a dude.

Quote:
Cat Thomas, a veteran radio programmer who has overseen station groups in Texas and Florida, has been named program director of WSHE FM 100.3, the Hubbard Radio adult contemporary station.

“Cat has a stellar reputation for leading winning brands, and we are thrilled to welcome him to Chicago’s fastest growing radio station — SHE,” John Gallagher, vice president and market manager of Hubbard Radio Chicago, said in announcing the appointment Wednesday.

Thomas, whose real name is Bill Drake,

What Women Want.

LOL

I saw the press release and it even said something like "Kat is super excited"..Guys dont drop the "super excited" or REALLY, SUPER , DUPER stuff...I 100% assumed it was a chick, joining WSHE...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 am 

Bill Drake is to goy, call me something ambiguous like Cat Thomas