It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PD fired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:32 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/01/05/p ... the-drive/

Quote:
he program director of The Drive is heading for the off-ramp.

Curtiss Johnson announced Tuesday he’s leaving classic hits WDRV FM 97.1, where he has headed programming since June 2014. He’s the seventh program director cut from Hubbard Radio in recent months as the company moves to revitalize its stations across the country.

Johnson said he plans to continue at The Drive “in the near term” while seeking his next career opportunity.

A search for his replacement will begin immediately, according to Greg Solk, senior vice president of programming and operations for Hubbard Radio. Assistant program director Paul Webber is expected to handle some of Johnson’s duties in the interim.

“After many long conversations with Greg regarding the future of The Drive, the decision has been made to part company,” Johnson wrote in an email to staff Tuesday. “I’ve enjoyed my year and half here at The Drive. I’ve never worked with a nicer and more genuinely talented group of people.”

Johnson succeeded Patty Martin, who stepped down in 2014 after 13 years at The Drive. Before that, he had been director of programming and operations for Entercom Communications in Sacramento, California, where he oversaw KSEG, KWOD and KRXQ for 18 years. Earlier in his career, he served as a program director in Phoenix, Arizona, as well as an on-air personality in Phoenix, Sacramento and San Diego, California.

In the latest Nielsen Audio report, The Drive tied for 11th place with a 3.0 percent share and a cumulative weekly audience of 1,139,400. Among men between 25 and 54, the station tied for eighth with a 3.7 share.

Here is the text of Johnson’s email to staff:

After many long conversations with Greg regarding the future of The Drive the decision has been made to part company. I’ve enjoyed my year and half here at The Drive. I’ve never worked with a nicer and more genuinely talented group of people. I will come away from the experience with many true friends, not just friends in the business. It has a been a pleasure. Thank you.

I will remain the day to day program director in the near term while a search is conducted for both my replacement and my next career opportunity.

Curtiss

Not sure to what extent this affects Mac and North, because I'm pretty sure those are both Greg Solk hires.

Post subject: Re: PD fired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:34 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
What does a program director at a classic rock station even have to do? Decide whether to play two Jackson Brown songs in an hour or just one?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
What does a program director at a classic rock station even have to do? Decide whether to play two Jackson Brown songs in an hour or just one?

Whoa, man, better leave risky stuff like that to the consultants!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
New program director fires Mac.
Mac returns to the Score just as Boers is leaving.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
SpiralStairs wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:11 am 

spmack wrote:
New program director fires Mac.
Mac returns to the Score just as Boers is leaving.

(Murph's voice) I like your angle tell me more...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:12 am 

HHSTigerfan wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

This person has destroyed The Drive. What was once a great station has become another Loop clone.

In fairness, I think the Loop and the Drive were CENTRIFUGING well before Patty Martin retired. That's just as much on the Loop picking up Fleetwood Mac as it is the Drive picking up Van Halen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I heard Directv and AT&T are centrifuging.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:18 am 

Will it make their internet faster?

...NO!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Probably a big fight over the Monkees.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I noticed that Mac was here the other day but has not said anything about this. Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/01/28/n ... the-drive/

Quote:
Rob Cressman, an experienced classic rock radio programmer from Indianapolis, is pulling into The Drive.

Hubbard Radio Chicago announced Thursday that Cressman has been hired as program director of classic hits WDRV FM 97.1, effective immediately.

He replaces Curtiss Johnson, who left last month after a year and a half at The Drive.

Cressman resigned last week after more than two years as senior vice president of programming for iHeart Media in Indianapolis, where he oversaw four stations. He spent five years before that with Saga Communications in New England, overseeing two stations.

“I am thrilled to have been invited to join the incredible talents at Hubbard Radio Chicago and The Drive,” Cressman said in a statement. “WDRV has always represented the platinum standard for classic rock radio and I am anxious to uphold and amplify its legendary foundation.”

A native of Fredericksburg, Virginia, and a graduate of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia, Cressman began as an announcer in his hometown. He later worked as operations manager and program director for radio groups in Charleston, South Carolina, and Memphis, Tennessee.

“Finding the perfect programming partner for The Drive was indeed a challenge,” Greg Solk, senior vice president of programming and operations for Hubbard Radio, said in a statement. “We needed someone who understood the rich history The Drive has had in Chicago and who could balance our past achievements with the need for innovation that is vital to our future success. I’ve been a fan of Rob’s work for many years, and look forward to watching him lead The Drive’s incredibly talented staff to new heights.”

In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, The Drive ranked 11th overall with a 2.7 percent share and a cumulative audience of 1,040,200. Among men between 25 and 54, the station tied for seventh with a 4.0 share.

PD hired

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
"...an experienced classic rock programmer..."???

Once again:

SpiralStairs wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:43 pm 

Yeah, it's easy to laugh, but Greg Solk and Patty Martin did hit on a good formula with the original Drive format. I think the Drive was the first station to develop a format that was softer and deeper than traditional classic rock but also not quite as poppy as the traditional oldies format. They've since thrown that all away to compete with the Loop, which is kind of funny considering they were originally the Loop's sister station and were meant to complement, not compete with, that station.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nothing to say, really. Said on the air I really liked Curtiss (with the unnecessary second S) Johnson. We were musical kindreds... like a lot of the same stuff that's off the grid. He's out and a new guy is starting. Nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac FM wrote:
Nothing to say, really. Said on the air I really liked Curtiss (with the unnecessary second S) Johnson. We were musical kindreds... like a lot of the same stuff that's off the grid. He's out and a new guy is starting. Nothing to see here.

There was nothing to see before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
G.O.P. wrote:
Can you please push to fill Terry's seat?

Mac and North, middays on the SCORE!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/01/05/program-director-exits-the-drive/

Not sure to what extent this affects Mac and North, because I'm pretty sure those are both Greg Solk hires.

Well, to this extent, clearly!