It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

Caught a little of the cross-talk between Jurko.DeFalco and Kap/Jessie today and heard-for me-a head scratching talk about Super Bowl squares. Jessie didn't get why he didn't win the fourth quarter because he had 8 and 8. Despite the others explaining that it was the final score that paid out, he didn't get it. Was this the first time he's ever been involved with this type of betting?
Kap then talked about how he chose the numbers 7/8 and 8/7 for friends of his. I've never been in a squares pool where you got to pick your numbers. Whenever I've done it, the numbers were not determined until all the squares were filled. We then took a deck of cards-black was one team and red the other-mixed up ace through 10, then randomly drew the numbers and assigned them along the board. Am I missing something? I would think there are different ways of doing it, but that way seemed odd.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

chip egan wrote:
Caught a little of the cross-talk between Jurko.DeFalco and Kap/Jessie today and heard-for me-a head scratching talk about Super Bowl squares. Jessie didn't get why he didn't win the fourth quarter because he had 8 and 8. Despite the others explaining that it was the final score that paid out, he didn't get it. Was this the first time he's ever been involved with this type of betting?
Kap then talked about how he chose the numbers 7/8 and 8/7 for friends of his. I've never been in a squares pool where you got to pick your numbers. Whenever I've done it, the numbers were not determined until all the squares were filled. We then took a deck of cards-black was one team and red the other-mixed up ace through 10, then randomly drew the numbers and assigned them along the board. Am I missing something? I would think there are different ways of doing it, but that way seemed odd.

Of course. You can't pick the numbers cuz obviously some are more likely to hit than others. So I don't know why the stupid people in Kap's pool allowed people to pick numbers.

And Jesse Rodgers is stupid. So that explains his confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:26 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
chip egan wrote:
I've never been in a squares pool where you got to pick your numbers. Whenever I've done it, the numbers were not determined until all the squares were filled.

That's the only way I've ever heard of and no sane person would join any other type of game.

Hey, Jim, we've got 9/9 and 2/2 left for $25/per, do you mind finishing the grid out?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I never thought I would type this in a Kap thread but I really would have loved to have heard that. What a couple of spanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I wonder if he meant that he picked the square which BECAME 8/7 or whatever. Like he was the zen master at writing the friend's super-cool nickname (i.e. Sparkles) in the proper blank square which became a HUUUGE winner, thanks to his great night's sleep on his MY PIILOW, no doubt.

We haven't ever had the OT question actually come up, so truly "proper" answers or responses have not had the test of time.

The pool I was in ($20 per square) said "fourth quarter" on the sheet, not "final". I had 8/8. Before the 2 Minute Warning, I texted the guy running it to ask if he was going to slip me a little sump thin' for winning the fourth, because that is what the paper actually says. You know, skim down the payments to the others by a little and make all five period winners the same, or something. He was paying $300 per quarter with $50 for the four adjoining squares. He could have made the adjoining squares $25, (your money back plus $5), and paid all five periods equally. He said no. Whatever.

In the future, I will be sure to ask, and will recommend a five period breakdown. That way, if no OT, the fourth quarter winners would get double the other quarter winners. I've often seen the final weighted higher, anyway. If you were in one of those "every score pays" pools, you don't know the payout until it's over, anyways.

Any other, better pool ideas? Light em' up, Chicago...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:06 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Every pool I've been in the final score was always higher. Usually about 40-50% of the pot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Every pool Ive been in has had chlorine in it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Especially your gene pool.

Sorry Frank, it was there, and I took the shot. It is probably uncouth to make fun of someone who is forced to dance naked for spare change at suburban festivals to make ends meet...No Malice Aforethought. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 pm 

K Effective wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Sorry Frank, it was there, and I took the shot. It is probably uncouth to make fun of someone who is forced to dance naked for spare change at suburban festivals to make ends meet...No Malice Aforethought. :wink:

I think the apology was meaner than the shot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Every pool I've been in the final score was always higher. Usually about 40-50% of the pot.

Yeah, Doc, I should have been tipped off when the guy I texted actually asked me if there could be a tie. FWIW, his Brother-In-Law was the house in this scenario, my co-worker was simply the bag man, sent to fill out the squares in the gritty, industrial setting of the salt mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:40 pm 

Sometimes I just can't help myself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
K Effective wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol: this is a great example of a thread I would otherwise never think to click on that I'm glad I did.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

"Rachel: (She screams) Oh my God! I'm sorry, I thought this was the baby's
room. I'm really sorry. (She exits)
George: I was in the pool! I was in the pool!"

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:03 am 

SteveSarley wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

"Rachel: (She screams) Oh my God! I'm sorry, I thought this was the baby's
room. I'm really sorry. (She exits)
George: I was in the pool! I was in the pool!"

Perfect. I stand humbled. :lol: