All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving to mornings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/88 ... urko-times

And kicking WSCR's ass:

ESPN 1000 Rearranges Schedule, Flips 'Kap & Co' and 'Carmen & Jurko' Times

Published on Tuesday, 21 March 2017 16:30

WMVP-AM/ESPN 1000 is making a big change with its weekday lineup effective next month. The late morning/midday show with Carmen DeFalco and John "Jurko" Jurkovic will be trading places with midday show "Kap & Co." with David Kaplan. This change will begin on April 3rd.

The swapping of shifts will give Kaplan an extra hour each morning, while taking way an hour from Carmen and Jurko. "Kap & Co." will air from 9:00am-Noon, while "Carmen & Jurko" will air from Noon-2:00pm. However, Carmen and Jurko will be able to stay on the air up to an extra half hour as they enjoy a cross-talk segment with afternoon hosts Tom Waddle and Marc "Silvy" Silverman.

One of the key factors behind the switch is Kaplan's other job as host of the Chicago Cubs pre-game and post-game shows on CSN Chicago. Because of the many afternoon games the Cubs will play, most of which are shown on CSN Chicago, Kaplan has been forced to leave his own show early or miss shows entirely this past year. With the new schedule, Kap will be able to host pretty much all of his shows in 2017 and still be on time for his CSN Chicago work.

Hosted by one of the most respected sports talkers in Chicago, "Kap & Co." has been proven to be a big winner for WMVP-AM in the year and a half since the show's creation. In fact, for the first two months of 2017, "Kap & Co." is the second most listened-to AM radio talk show (sports or otherwise) for Adults 25-54 and Men 25-54, beating any AM radio talk show of any daypart on such stations as WSCR-AM, WGN-AM, WLS-AM, and WIND-AM. (The #1 most listened-to talk program for Adults 25-54 and Men 25-54 is WMVP-AM's "Waddle & Silvy" afternoon show.)

Kaplan is a Skokie native, who continues to live in the northern suburbs with his family. He played both football and baseball at Hamline University in St. Paul, MN, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

After being a basketball coach and scout for many years, he began his sports talk career at WMVP-AM/ESPN 1000 in 1993, working for the station for almost two years. He joined WGN-AM in April 1995, working there until he exited in September 2015, rejoining WMVP-AM later that month. Along with his Cubs coverage for CSN Chicago, Kaplan hosts "SportsTalk Live" on the sports television station each weekday afternoon (unless preempted by live sports).

There will be more Kaplan-related news coming soon, as well. This week, CSN Chicago is expected to announce who Kaplan's new co-host will be for CSN's Chicago Cubs pre-game and post-game shows. Also, in just a matter of weeks, Kaplan's new book, "The Plan: Epstein, Maddon, and the Audacious Blueprint for a Cubs Dynasty" will be released.

DeFalco and Jurkovic have seen their show moved a few times in their many years at the station, so this isn't necessarily new ground for them. Their radio show has gone from afternoons to middays to late mornings, and as of the start of next month, back to middays.

DeFalco has been with WMVP-AM since December 1998, joining in a part-time role as an update anchor. He then added more roles, including hosting Chicago Bulls' pre-game and post-game shows, hosting Bears/NFL weekend shows, co-hosting a talk show with Silverman, blogging for the website, and more.

After afternoon personality Dan McNeil exited WMVP-AM in January 2009, Chicago area native DeFalco, who had been McNeil's main fill-in during McNeil's vacations/sick days/suspensions, then filled his role permanently. The afternoon program was renamed as the "Carmen, Jurko, and Harry Show." When veteran host Harry Teinowitz exited in 2013, the show was renamed "Carmen & Jurko."

Jurkovic, born in Germany but raised in the south suburbs of Chicago, played professional football for nine years as a defensive tackle. He retired after the 1999 season. In the summer of 2000, Jurko begin working for WMVP-AM as a full-time host, where he has been ever since.

In the most recent radio ratings, all three of WMVP-AM's local weekday shows in middays and afternoons are well ahead of those heard on rival sports station WSCR-AM/670 The Score in the stations' sought-after demographic of Men 25-54.

Post subject: Re: Moving to mornings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
....waiting for the Kap mult to check in.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Wait that article says W&S and Kap are rated one and two among the male demo...is that true?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Congrat's Kap! Hey how about an early fan lunch at Lou's after one of your shows? Or maybe we can head out to the new Kuma's Korner in Schaumburg then scoot on down the street to XSPorts and shoot some hoops?! Then we could KAP it off next door at the PGA shop and check the new line of Big Bertha's?

Last edited by Caller Bob on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Great shows today as usual .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No mention of who might be Kap's co-host. With an extra hour to cover, that selection will be key. Could Danny Mac be coming back? That is my hope. Really don't want Hood to be the choice, although in fairness I believe he is a better host today than he was 2-3 years ago. Seems to be better informed and prepared these days. Pat Boyle is okay, but pretty vanilla. Going to be an interesting call.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Good for Kap. He has won me over but they should just dump those other two clowns and bring in two guys to work with Kap 2 hours in and then who fill in the last 2 hours of a 5 hour block. So Kap does 3 or whatever and then you already have the next show set up to go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
No mention of who might be Kap's co-host. With an extra hour to cover, that selection will be key. Could Danny Mac be coming back? That is my hope. Really don't want Hood to be the choice, although in fairness I believe he is a better host today than he was 2-3 years ago. Seems to be better informed and prepared these days. Pat Boyle is okay, but pretty vanilla. Going to be an interesting call.

I doubt Mac but he mentioned on the podcast he might have something to say in April I think.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
This is great news! I only listen to sports radio during work (4am-12)and this finally gives me a reason to officially dump the score and listen to 1000. Love Kap! Now add Mac as the morning guy and the score is finished

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:

I'm guessing they're going to keep the rotating cohosts like they do now. Not a fan of it either, it's disjointed. But it'll be heavy on the Cubs so people will probably tune in.

It was hard to find, but I enjoyed the Kap and David Haugh show. I started listening right before it ended. On the surface I thought it'd be boring, but Haugh did a good job of keeping Kap in check while Kap acted like a meatball. Overall it turned out entertaining. Then heads at WGN started to roll and Kap got the hell out of there

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 am 

Going to sample, 4/4. No need for another thread as I suspect this will be Krap & Company.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: LOU'S BABY
What's up there, Snuggle Bear. Here we are, mornings in the big city. Gonna line up some great guests. Good friends. Maybe talk to Billy and Eddie about the World Series. Get into how to fix the Bulls. But first, gonna take some time to talk about my good friends Carmen and Jurko. Couple of good fellas right there. When the news broke, I called Frankie O and got him to get us a private room over at Harry Carey's...great night of drinks with friends, some tears were shed. Memories shared. Good times. We set the boys up with some Lou's for lunch yesterday and sent them a couple of MyPillows to get them a longer night's sleep now that they don't have to get up so early.

Take some calls.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Kap is trash. I rarely listen to sports radio in the mornings, so this is good for me as I can now listen at lunch and then the afternoon.

Love that worthless Kaplan is beating WSCR though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 pm 

IMU wrote:
Kap is trash. I rarely listen to sports radio in the mornings, so this is good for me as I can now listen at lunch and then the afternoon.

Love that worthless Kaplan is beating WSCR though.

I listened up through the Rizzo interview. It was as if Rizzo's dick was Kap's favorite Slurpee machine flavor on a hot summer day. I think Rizzo was uncomfortable with all the dumb stories Kap kept trying to bring up. But I love when Kap asked if Rizzo was playing 20 pounds lighter this year, and Rizzo said "no, I start every year at about the same weight". Rizzo countradicted things Kap said MANY times during the interview. Enjoy the Slurpee Kap.