It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mcknight
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Caught a bit of the podcast yesterday with Mcknight filling in for Hoodie. Mcknight sounded nothing like he did on WSCR, not trying to sound smarter than the room. Kap keeps the show moving quickly, and that is the biggest thing about the difference with the Bernstein lead shows on WSCR, they creep along at a snails pace, each segment seems too long, whereas the Kap and Hood show gives you the info quickly with little lag time. Guess it helps that the show does not take itself too seriously and the hosts are not trying to outsmart the guests or using guests whos only real ability is to parse through stats.

Bernstein seems to be a tough pairing for anyone except Uncle Terry who it now appears, carried him for many years.

Post subject: Re: Mcknight
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:02 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Why is Hood taking a 2 week vacation? That's way too long to be off the airwaves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:34 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
McKnight is better. I listen less when he fills in on the station though.

But there’s no doubt that Bernstein creates a suffocating environment for his cohosts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Bernstein should be paired with a meatball former athlete, not a media professional. He easily overpowers media types because they rarely have a well-defined point-of-view. A former athlete who refuses to conform to identity politics orthodoxy would provide a potentially entertaining contrast. Doug Buffone is a good example of the kind of co-host I have in mind (he and Bernstein were great doing the Bears pregame) but he wouldn't function that well in such a role now since he passed away several years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I think Bernstein just needs somebody secure enough to be himself, athlete or not. We’ll see what happens with Leila, but it seems like every other co-host takes on some part of Bernstein’s personality along the way. Dickbag lefty (goff), smarter than you stats guy (McKnight)...

Rozner was a good pairing in limited doses because he didn’t really change to fit what he thought Dan wanted him to be.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I think Bernstein just needs somebody secure enough to be himself, athlete or not. We’ll see what happens with Leila, but it seems like every other co-host takes on some part of Bernstein’s personality along the way. Dickbag lefty (goff), smarter than you stats guy (McKnight)...

Rozner was a good pairing in limited doses because he didn’t really change to fit what he thought Dan wanted him to be.

So, Grobstein it is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

I agree. You just need someone as arrogant as dan himself. That's probably hard to find.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:51 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I agree. You just need someone as arrogant as dan himself. That's probably hard to find.

It's highly unlikely you'll find this person working in the media. The corporate consolidation of the communications industry has obviously had a homogenizing effect on the range of viewpoints expressed in the media, and the space for authentic personalities no longer seems to exist on most corporate platforms. I suppose the Score could recruit someone from the podcast world to try something different, but most of the Chicago sports podcasts I've heard are hosted by guys who are only marginally competent or largely uninteresting. Of course, most athletes who have played in the last 10-20 years have also had the personality coached out of them, so maybe there's no real possibility for pairing Bernstein with a suitable partner. At this point, he doesn't really bring any fresh or interesting ideas to the airwaves; it's likely just time to sack him and move on. I wonder how much time he has left on his contract.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:58 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's highly unlikely you'll find this person working in the media. The corporate consolidation of the communications industry has obviously had a homogenizing effect on the range of viewpoints expressed in the media, and the space for authentic personalities no longer seems to exist on most corporate platforms. I suppose the Score could recruit someone from the podcast world to try something different, but most of the Chicago sports podcasts I've heard are hosted by guys who are only marginally competent or largely uninteresting. Of course, most athletes who have played in the last 10-20 years have also had the personality coached out of them, so maybe there's no real possibility for pairing Bernstein with a suitable partner. At this point, he doesn't really bring any fresh or interesting ideas to the airwaves; it's likely just time to sack him and move on. I wonder how much time he has left on his contract.

Olin Kreutz...at least during football season

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:00 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Ooh, that's a good name. He's smart without being intellectual, and can be a goofball without being stupid. I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Ooh, that's a good name. He's smart without being intellectual, and can be a goofball without being stupid. I like it.

Olin Kreutz isn't going to wreck his day, never mind a year or more, by being with Bernstein.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
i remember when Dan was full on trashing olin kreutz on air for how he treated rookies and all the homophobic shit he would say. then, kreutz becomes a 670 contributor and Dan is his best buddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz

I always said that Rozner should have been Boer's replacement since he was confident and didn't put up with Bernstein's antics. That pairing had chemistry and was better than the previous few seasons of Boers and Bernstein.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
A McKngiht thread turns into a Bernstein thread in 2 seconds flat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
DAC wrote:

I always said that Rozner should have been Boer's replacement since he was confident and didn't put up with Bernstein's antics. That pairing had chemistry and was better than the previous few seasons of Boers and Bernstein.

Agree 100% with your reasons for why Rozner was the best co-host for Bernstein. He called Bernstein on his bullshit so often that Dan went down that road less often when Rozner co-hosted which made him more listenable and made for a better overall show.

Franky T wrote:
A McKnight thread turns into a Bernstein thread in 2 seconds flat.

Further proof of McKnight's inability to hold the interest of an audience.