All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:56 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Bruce Springsteen is no Jeff Tweedy.

That's an interesting comparison. I'm not sure if you're serious. I like Tweedy better. But there may not be a Tweedy if there hadn't been a Springsteen. Who knows? He had to have been an influence to some degree.

I agree with all of that. The reason I mentioned Tweedy here is that Springsteen is frequently discussed as the greatest American songwriter since 1970 or so (after Dylan's peak). But I'd say Tweedy has Bruce beaten by a pretty wide margin at this point.

I don't know if it's a wide margin, but I certainly think Tweedy is as great and maybe greater than Springsteen as a songwriter. But he hasn't had the same kind of commercial success as Bruce. And he's not part of the culture in the same way that Springsteen is. He'd be closer to Arthur Russell or Jeffrey Lee Pierce or Westerberg than he is to Springsteen or Dylan or Prince.

Springsteen is a very literal straight ahead songwriter. You usually don't need to think too hard to catch the meaning of one of his songs. So, if you're looking for lyrics that are a little harder to unpack, you have to give the edge to Tweedy.

On the other hand, while I know an album like Summerteeth has a lush sound and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has an inventive if not always tuneful sound, I still don't think Tweedy has made something as musically satisfying as Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town.

I read that as if Patrick Bateman were saying it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:01 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I like a fair amount of Petty's catalog, but most his songs are about as deep as a puddle. Eddie Vedder's "Porch" is better than anything Petty every wrote.

There isn't a single Vedder/Pearl Jam song that is in the same ballpark as "American Girl."

Better Man
Tom Petty a far more decorated songwriter than Eddie Vedder, but you asked for a single song. BOOM!

*Emphatic Disagreement*

Yeah, I agree. "American Girl" is a major cultural statement. "Better Man," while a good song, feels like it sprang from an intro level women's studies class.

American Girl is up there with the best rock songs ever created

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
"American Girl" is a major cultural statement.

I spent two winters in Florida training horses. I feel like I know the "American Girl." She's a young idealistic local. Probably a waitress. She met some rich kid who was on spring break who told her he loved her. But that was all bullshit just to get her in the sack. She spent the night at his hotel in Daytona or Fort Lauderdale. She could hear the waves crashing on the beach. But back in her shitty studio apartment on Orange Blossom Trail in Apopka or Holden Heights all she can hear are the cars rushing by on the highway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 am 

as I wrote when i saw Meatpants "become" Bruce Springstein, his best is among the best and he has a lot of best. However, that huge volume also means that there is a lot of unlistenable Bruce out there, upon which I think his detractors fix their focus.

You have to appreciate Bruce in concert. He's going to give you your money's worth each time. He's not going to show up late, leave as quickly as possible and treat you like your are infringing on his time in between. I respect the effort.

I probably have seen U2 the most our of anyone in concert because of the timelines of my age and their hits. It's definitely less than 10. I'm not like most of you guys who read Rolling Stone and talked about music as a kid. It just never interested me. There are a couple of local bands I'll go and see on a Friday or Saturday night to drink to. I see them a lot, if that counts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:41 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
as I wrote when i saw Meatpants "become" Bruce Springstein, his best is among the best and he has a lot of best. However, that huge volume also means that there is a lot of unlistenable Bruce out there, upon which I think his detractors fix their focus.

You have to appreciate Bruce in concert. He's going to give you your money's worth each time. He's not going to show up late, leave as quickly as possible and treat you like your are infringing on his time in between. I respect the effort.

I probably have seen U2 the most our of anyone in concert because of the timelines of my age and their hits. It's definitely less than 10. I'm not like most of you guys who read Rolling Stone and talked about music as a kid. It just never interested me. There are a couple of local bands I'll go and see on a Friday or Saturday night to drink to. I see them a lot, if that counts.

Is he going to give you a performance worth $5,000:

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/bru ... t-tickets/

I'm a fan, but paying $5,000 to see a geriatric well over the hill Bruce Springsteen is absolutely insane.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:51 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Is he going to give you a performance worth $5,000:

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/bru ... t-tickets/

I'm a fan, but paying $5,000 to see a geriatric well over the hill Bruce Springsteen is absolutely insane.

It's ridiculous, especially when considering he was playing on Broadway nightly in a small, personal venue for a year at a fraction of the cost. A person could have taken that $5k, seen bruce and had a weekend in ny, still having money left over.