It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:
dudes in bands can be catty lil patriots:

Quote:
Interview With Terry Bones
Well, not really an interview, but way back in May of 2000, Terry Bones, who played with Ministry back in the early 90s, was kind enough to send some answers to questions via email.
As for the MP3's,I think it's a real rip off to the artists and the bands that take time to record the albums,etc....I think if people want to hear the music,they should be fair and but it themselves.
I am currently in the band the Anti-Hero's, and am with my original band Discharge from the UK,and am going back over there the end of this month to finish recording our new album with all of the original members.
Growing up my musical influences were the Damned,UK SUBS,Sex Pistols,all English stuff,as for gutar players,my main influence as Nicky Garret from the UK Subs.I really idolized him.
As for how I met and hooked up with Ministry, I met them when I lived in Chicago through my wife at the time,that worked at Wax Trax.
They approached me due to my experience,and I accepted. I played with them for about 3 years (on and off), doing Revco and Lard, played with them on several albums and a video.
As for funny stories about the band, Al couldn't control me with his drugs like the rest off the little boys in the band. He used drugs to manipulate and control,and I was not going to be one of his little slaves or "boy toys". I finally decided it was better to go on about my own projects than stay with the band,so I left when it got a little to METAL for me.I left around 1993 or 94, whenever the Lollapoooza tour was up.If you need any mre info,e-mail back.Thanks. Terry

http://www.prongs.org/ministry/Bones1

no matter how kumbaya they appear to be, talk to them away from the rest of the band and it's not long before the bass player's laying into the asshole lead singer.

Here's my best Terry Bones story. When he first came to Chicago Terry or "Tezz" (all these limeys have ridiculous nicknames) was planning to put together a version of Broken Bones and take it on the road. I don't know why he was planning a reconstituted Bones. It's not like it was really even his band. His twin brother who I believe is actually named Tony is "Bones". Maybe he figured his twin wasn't going to sue him over the name the way "Oddy" or "Soddy" or "Rainy" or whoever might have had he called this thing Discharge.

At the time Hazardous Youth was really hitting a stride, playing a lot and just super fucking tight. But somehow Tezz got ahold of our bass player at the time, Chris Splatter- or maybe it was Splatter that got ahold of Tezz- anyway, Splatter was going to be the bass player in the new Broken Bones. Jimmy Kangles from Lost Cause was going to be taking Bones's spot on lead guitar. And a guy named Pete Murray would be on drums. It ended up working out okay for us as we picked up Casey to play bass.

So before the tour began the new Broken Bones was going to play a kickoff gig at Medusa's. All the little punk rock kids that hung out at The Alley and in the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot on the weekends were hyped up about this show. The legendary Broken Bones right here in Chicago! Medusa's really hyped the hell out of the show and on the night of the gig the place was packed. The latter day Life Sentence with Jeff and Gus opened the show. They were going out on the road with these guys too.

It was pretty late and everyone in the place is waiting for Broken Bones to take the stage. The place is jammed to the rafters with suburban punks kids. Finally the boys walk out on stage and Splatter starts plucking that galloping bass line of "Seeing Through My Eyes" and suddenly this 16 or 17 year old kid yells loud enough to be heard over the bass, "HEY! THAT'S NOT BONES! THAT'S JIMMY KANGLES! I WANT MY FUCKIN' MONEY BACK!!!!!!"

And that little boy...was me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
"Helmet For My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific" by Robert Leckie
"With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FrankDrebin wrote:

I'm just getting started with Indianapolis by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic. It's pretty exhaustively researched and I thought it might be a pretty dry military history but they do a good job picking out particular servicemen and amplifying their personal stories which makes it a lot more interesting on an emotional level. A good friend of mine's father was on the ship when it sank. He's mentioned a couple times in the book.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Leash's

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Today is international Dante Alighieri Day. 2021 marks 700 years since he died. 2020 was 700 years since the Divine Comedy was published.

What's fascinating about the Divine Comedy are the different translations. I have found the best to be Musa's and Ciardi's. I know only a few of the others, but the older you get with the translations, the less readable they are. This explains the difficulties.

"Dante’s poem is fiendishly difficult to translate into verse, partly because of its lovely, garlanded rhyme scheme, terza rima—or aba, bcb, cdc. To reproduce the Comedy in English terza rima, it has been calculated, approximately forty-five hundred triple rhymes are needed. In Italian, where almost every word ends in a vowel, you can come up with such a number. In English, it is next to impossible, as can be seen in the frequency of ridiculous forced rhymes in terza-rima translations. Some translators have compromised on aba, cdc—in other words, rhyming in twos, not threes—but that’s not easy, either, if you’re trying to be faithful to Dante’s text."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_t ... ine_Comedy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

I'm just getting started with Indianapolis by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic. It's pretty exhaustively researched and I thought it might be a pretty dry military history but they do a good job picking out particular servicemen and amplifying their personal stories which makes it a lot more interesting on an emotional level. A good friend of mine's father was on the ship when it sank. He's mentioned a couple times in the book.
This guy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
Son of the Morning Star by Evan Connell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeKjKWXWZOE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
FrankDrebin wrote:

Interesting... I would like to read a book on the Pacific theater specifically about Okinawa. My grandfather was a Marine in the 6th Division and shipped to Guadalcanal and ended the war in Okinawa. Fought at Sugar Loaf Hill among other places and was one of the very few guys from his platoon to make it back. Unfortunately he didn't talk much about it with my mom or her brother ( understandable ), but I would like to learn more about it. I was never old enough to have the guts to ask him anything about it, he died when I was maybe in my early 20s and cared more about myself than getting to know him better.
Sounds like that 2nd book might be more what I am looking for but if you guys know of any others let me know.

Edit -- Actually just ordered a book called Killing Ground on Okinawa: The Battle For Sugar Loaf Hill. That should be just what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:13 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
tommy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joyland by Stephen King was pretty good and a nice change of pace from Dickens

Thinking about starting Crime and Punishment, good?

Lemme know if you read that, patriot. I'll read it with ya. Took a whole class on Dostoevsky. Probably the best lit class I ever took.

3 chapters in

Just finished

Raskolnikov took himself way too seriously

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I just received a paperback from Amazon the other day.
"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.
I'll be in the hospital for most of Wednesday afternoon, so I plan to crack it open so I can ponder my mortality even more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:05 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
I just received a paperback from Amazon the other day.
"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.
I'll be in the hospital for most of Wednesday afternoon, so I plan to crack it open so I can ponder my mortality even more.

You OK?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 pm 

Thank you for asking. I periodically have to get fluid drained from my abdomen due to self-inflicted damage. Last time I went was the 1st week in December last year. There was a time when it was semi-weekly a few years ago. So it could be worse. But I used to be able to walk 2 blocks to the hospital, now it's about a 15 minute drive away.

It's called ascites. The procedure is called paracentesis. You go the hospital an hour and a half before the actual procedure for reasons I'm not sure of. They vacuum about 7-10 liters out, put you back in a room and hook you up to an Albumen IV which takes about an hour. Then eventually a nurse will walk in your room and tell you can put your clothes back on and you're free to go home. Tomorrow, being month and quarter end, my wife probably won't be able to pick me up until around 6:30 PM. I'm not complaining because I'm sure (hope?) I'll feel a lot better when it's done. It's just a lot of "Hurry up and wait". Like maybe a 30 minute procedure but on average, a 6 hour experience. I'm just gonna bring a phone charger, a book and be patient (literally). There's a Target to the east of the hospital and a bunch of food options to the west, so I'll figure something out. Again, thanks for asking. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:50 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
Thank you for asking. I periodically have to get fluid drained from my abdomen due to self-inflicted damage. Last time I went was the 1st week in December last year. There was a time when it was semi-weekly a few years ago. So it could be worse. But I used to be able to walk 2 blocks to the hospital, now it's about a 15 minute drive away.

It's called ascites. The procedure is called paracentesis. You go the hospital an hour and a half before the actual procedure for reasons I'm not sure of. They vacuum about 7-10 liters out, put you back in a room and hook you up to an Albumen IV which takes about an hour. Then eventually a nurse will walk in your room and tell you can put your clothes back on and you're free to go home. Tomorrow, being month and quarter end, my wife probably won't be able to pick me up until around 6:30 PM. I'm not complaining because I'm sure (hope?) I'll feel a lot better when it's done. It's just a lot of "Hurry up and wait". Like maybe a 30 minute procedure but on average, a 6 hour experience. I'm just gonna bring a phone charger, a book and be patient (literally). There's a Target to the east of the hospital and a bunch of food options to the west, so I'll figure something out. Again, thanks for asking. :D

Oh man, not fun but seems like you're making the best of it. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
shirtless driver wrote:

Damn, Shirtless, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Your condition isn't considered malignant, is it? I hope not and am wishing the best for you.

Post subject: Re: Books
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Tall Midget wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
I'm re-reading Trees in Paradise: A California History by Jared Farmer. My history teacher senior year was a bit of a hippie -- his course dealt with how nature (oceans, land, trees, vegetation) can alter and shape history. It's my favorite out of all the books we read over the semester.

If you're looking for something similar regarding Chicago history, this book can't be beat: Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West. Truly a masterly synthesis of environmental, frontier, and economic history. https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Metropolis-Chicago-Great-West/dp/0393308731

Of course, if you're looking for the true master analysis focusing on the influence of the environment and geography on historical development, the classic text is Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Fates-Societies/dp/0393317552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502313862&sr=8-1&keywords=%27guns+germs+and+steel%27

I just finished Guns, Germs, and Steel and found it to be insightful but a bit repetitive. He had those huge insights that the availability of domesticable crops and animals plus the east/west axis of Eurasia led to the dominance of Eurasian societies, but he repeated it over and over again. I don't mind the repetition of a point when I'm reading a book for pleasure, but it got a little annoying by the end. That being said, it was still enjoyable and enlightening and I'm happy I read it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:00 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

Damn, Shirtless, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Your condition isn't considered malignant, is it? I hope not and am wishing the best for you.

Thank you kind words,TM. It's what happens when you spent the last 27 years drinking. I brought it upon myself. My GI doctor referred me to a doctor at Froedtert in Milwaukee. I should probably make that appointment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
shirtless driver wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

Thank you kind words,TM. It's what happens when you spent the last 27 years drinking. I brought it upon myself. My GI doctor referred me to a doctor at Froedtert in Milwaukee. I should probably make that appointment.

All the best, Shirtless....take care of yourself

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
This seems like it'll be a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Ron Wolfley wrote:
This seems like it'll be a thing.

All those political memoirs burn hot and fast. The media will report on all the dirt, it will be at the top of the news cycle for a few days, and then people will move on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am 

Reading A Brave New World

Very good so far. I need to get some Soma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
did you skip high school or something? Don't miss out on All the King's Men this time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:54 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Fun fact: At my college internship, I worked with one of the 100 grandchildren of Elijah Muhammad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:37 am 
Site Admin

Hussra wrote:
did you skip high school or something? Don't miss out on All the King's Men this time

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=97275&p=2552177&hilit=Jack+Burden#p2552177

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Just read Murder in Canaryville by Jeff Coen. You want a look at how the mob and police worked back in the old Daley days must read. The killing was of a kid from the Ville who was killed at Boyce Field in 1776,3 doors down from where a 9 year old chas was living. I remember the night well. Bunch of kids bounding on our doors and window to get us to call for help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:54 pm 

Hussra wrote:

Catholic school. Didn't have a ton of reading classic novels. Beowulf, Shakespeare and a couple others. Not many.

You were assigned all these books Ive been reading in high School?

A tale of two cities
To Kill A Mockingbird
Crime and Punishment
A Brave New World

I mean I wish we did. The stuff we did was pretty boring

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Catholic school. Didn't have a ton of reading classic novels. Beowulf, Shakespeare and a couple others. Not many.

You were assigned all these books Ive been reading in high School?

A tale of two cities
To Kill A Mockingbird
Crime and Punishment
A Brave New World

I mean I wish we did. The stuff we did was pretty boring

High school is for winning games and bird dogging chicks. If you got a hankerin' for Brave New World, now's the time, not high school.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
High school is for winning games and bird dogging chicks.

At Gordon it was definitely the former and obviously not the latter which is probably one reason we were so good at the former.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I just preordered the book below. There was a fabulous op ed in today’s WSJ about the author who has strong credibility from being in the Obama White House.

Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesn’t, and Why It Matters
by Steven E. Koonin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Spiral Stairs sent me his copy:

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I'm not sure how often Amazon does this sort of deal, but they currently have a buy 2, get 1 at 50% off promotion going on. A LOT of books qualify.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next