It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm a big fan of Donna Tartt. I thought The Goldfinch was a masterpiece and The Little Friend is a great novel as well. Oddly enough, I had never read The Secret History until very recently.

The Secret History is the book that made her reputation. It's considered a great American novel. Boy, was I disappointed.

First, as one who studied literature myself, of course I'm impressed by Tartt's knowledge and usage of various literary devices and her ability to take a trope and turn it on it's head. But it all comes off as a little masturbatory. Like, "look what I can do." It's sort of a literary version of Joe Satriani's guitar playing. So I can understand why it was so beloved by critics and the salon set.

Also, I may not be as much of a Gen-Xer as I like to think. There's that whole school of Gen-X writers, many of them who went to Bennington, who write protagonists who are completely amoral. Unlike Hemingway's heroes/antiheroes like Jake Barnes and Frederic Henry or even modern television antiheroes like Walter White and Tony Soprano who have their own sets of morals, these protagonists seemingly have no moral code at all. It's very difficult for me to appreciate a book which features characters I care nothing about. I don't even hate them. I just think they're assholes. Fuck Richard Papen and Henry Winter.

Loved “The Goldfinch” as well. Wasn’t aware of The Little Friend. I’m currently working through Never Let Me Go which is ok but a bit slow. I have Freedom by Jonathan Franzen on deck. I e heard good things but not sure what to expect there. JORR have you tried his prose?

The only thing of his I've read is The Corrections.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm a big fan of Donna Tartt. I thought The Goldfinch was a masterpiece and The Little Friend is a great novel as well. Oddly enough, I had never read The Secret History until very recently.

The Secret History is the book that made her reputation. It's considered a great American novel. Boy, was I disappointed.

First, as one who studied literature myself, of course I'm impressed by Tartt's knowledge and usage of various literary devices and her ability to take a trope and turn it on it's head. But it all comes off as a little masturbatory. Like, "look what I can do." It's sort of a literary version of Joe Satriani's guitar playing. So I can understand why it was so beloved by critics and the salon set.

Also, I may not be as much of a Gen-Xer as I like to think. There's that whole school of Gen-X writers, many of them who went to Bennington, who write protagonists who are completely amoral. Unlike Hemingway's heroes/antiheroes like Jake Barnes and Frederic Henry or even modern television antiheroes like Walter White and Tony Soprano who have their own sets of morals, these protagonists seemingly have no moral code at all. It's very difficult for me to appreciate a book which features characters I care nothing about. I don't even hate them. I just think they're assholes. Fuck Richard Papen and Henry Winter.

Loved “The Goldfinch” as well. Wasn’t aware of The Little Friend. I’m currently working through Never Let Me Go which is ok but a bit slow. I have Freedom by Jonathan Franzen on deck. I e heard good things but not sure what to expect there. JORR have you tried his prose?

How was it? I tried to skip the big fawned over book

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's a long time ago that I read it. I remember liking it. It's about a fucked up family but I think it has a relatively happy ending. I think it's one of those metaphor for changes in postwar America books like The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's a long time ago that I read it. I remember liking it. It's about a fucked up family but I think it has a relatively happy ending. I think it's one of those metaphor for changes in postwar America books like The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay.

I read it about twenty years ago and remember enjoying it, but I was in my 20's when I read it and I don't know if its depictions of married life and the other trappings of adulthood would still hold up now that I've experienced many of them. I thought the message was something along the lines of "accept things for what they are, and stop trying so hard to change them."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I read it about twenty years ago and remember enjoying it, but I was in my 20's when I read it and I don't know if its depictions of married life and the other trappings of adulthood would still hold up now that I've experienced many of them. I thought the message was something along the lines of "accept things for what they are, and stop trying so hard to change them."

It's both great advice and the worse advice. "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:21 pm 

I've really soured on religion, but there are still some nuggets of wisdom to be mined from the religion of my upbringing, that prayer is one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
“The Devil All the Time”

Whole lot of dread and irredeemable people.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:47 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
I've really soured on religion, but there are still some nuggets of wisdom to be mined from the religion of my upbringing, that prayer is one of them.

Amen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
My daughter just came down and asked if we could take her to the library for a classic novel that she has to read. :lol: :roll: Anyway I've read very few, lots I think I'd like to read or should read. What are some of your faves and not faves?

I hate hate hate the Scarlett letter and great expectations. I loved the catcher in the rye, to kill a mocking bird, and Twain novels.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:58 pm 

Dracula. I'm not kidding.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Spaulding wrote:

I hate hate hate the Scarlett letter and great expectations. I loved the catcher in the rye, to kill a mocking bird, and Twain novels.

Elmer Gantry Sinclair Lewis - Lewis won a Pulitzer in 1926 but, like an NHL team not touching the Campbell Cup, declined to accept it b/c he felt he deserved the Nobel Prize in Literature, something no American had ever won. Lewis would go on to be the first American awarded the Nobel Prize a few years later. I think Lewis might've been from the same small Minnesota town as Rose from Golden Girls.

Orwell's Animal Farm - this book makes your face look smart when you quote it. Try to get the version with Steadman's Illustrations, an acceptable coffee table book for when your right-wing friends and family visit. Steadman also provided illustrations for Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Catch-22 Joseph Heller - once when being interviewed by an impertinent young journo decades after the publication of Catch-22, the journalist finished up the interview by asking Heller, "Be honest, nothing you've written since Catch-22 has been as good" Heller's response "No one has written a book as good as Catch-22 since Catch-22" or something along those lines. I like Picture This better overall, but Catch-22 is more culturally significant/canonical.

A Good Man Is Hard To Find Flannery O'Connor - sex, violence, family, strangers - like the ID channel set in mid 20th century American South, dripping with Roman Catholic imagery.

All the King's Men Robert Penn Warren - He's got Penn for a freaking name, so he has to be a good writer. Starts off in a large automobile driving too fast on a dark back road in Loozyanna carrying men (and women) with guns and ambition and never takes its foot off the gas--good story, well-told. Someone once observed that all American novels are political novels e.g., Moby Dick as allegory for Second Bank of the United States, Wizard of Oz about the battle between the gold backed dollar and silver backed dollar (Dorothy's slippers are silver, not ruby, in the novel) . All The King's Men is the best of the bunch

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again David Foster Wallace - if you like Mark Twain you might enjoy Wallace's non-fiction travel writing enough to give Broom of the System or IJ a go. Wallace's college commencement 2005 message to the graduates is worth a re-listen every few years.

Love in the Ruins and Thanatos Syndrome Walker Percy - it's like Walker Percy time-traveled five decades forward and then returned to document what he saw there--and now we're livin' it.

The Basic Eight Daniel Handler Lemony Snicket author and accordion player in The Magnetic Fields earlier work

The Canterbury Tales - Chaucer - timeless tales of men behaving badly. recommend listening to audiobooks of these stories while following along with a copy of the text.

Grendel John Gardner - Gardner ran over and killed his brother with one of these . As penance, Gardner voluntarily taught at the University of Detroit around the same time Dick Vitale coached U of D's men's hoops team. Beowulf re-told from the POV of the monster.

Homeboy Seth Morgan

The Odyssey Homer and Paradise Lost Milton - if you wanna go back that far. The most enjoyable/accessible of the epics.

Ethan Frome Edith Wharton - quick read, under 200 pages, that ending tho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:35 am 

Spaulding wrote:
My daughter just came down and asked if we could take her to the library for a classic novel that she has to read. :lol: :roll: Anyway I've read very few, lots I think I'd like to read or should read. What are some of your faves and not faves?

The Great Gatsby
Lord of the Flies
Moby Dick
Old Man and the Sea
The Call of the Wild
The Count of Monte Cristo

my personal favorite is The Jungle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's taken a bit longer than I hoped but I am trying to finish this book before I go on vacation in 3 weeks. I have no idea which direction to go for a book to read. I really try to lean towards the classics but that is really hit or miss. I am tempted to go down the David Foster Wallace wormhole but not sure I would really enjoy that. Another go to is a good biography. Found a book on Napoleon that is probably the leader in the clubhouse right now. The Franzen book has been good but it goes WAY into depth about a family that is all messed up. I'll likely circle back and read more of his stuff but I need a break after this one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I enjoyed the way The Expanse series ended.

Last man standing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:42 pm 

Put what appears to be an interesting, but long biography about Leonardo di Vinci in the Amazon basket.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Angie's
My brother wrote a hilarious and altogether disturbing account of his years as a cop on the West and North Sides in the 80s. What stands out os the number of bad cops--thieves, thugs, and morons--he worked with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Found a book called Murder in Canaryville. Pretty good so far.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:07 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

True story, too. Sounds interesting. I think I'll read this at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
I went back and reread "Report From Engine Company 82" by Dennis Smith. He worked in the busiest firehouse in the South Bronx in the late 60's into the 80's. An officer from the ladder company stationed in the house (31 Truck) recently published a book about the same time called "The War Years". A BBC film crew did a video during this time as well that added faces to the names.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I just finished the first Chapter on Ray Dalio’s book. He is not a gifted writer like Michael Lewis, but the book lays out a compelling set of data on the rise and fall of Empires. And it is scary how far along the U.S. is on the decline path. My two big concerns- education and over indebtedness, are big warning signs in his analysis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:38 pm 

Step By Step Booklet For Him To Get

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:15 am 

Welcome to Dunder Mifflin: The Ultimate Oral History of The Office. Compiled by Brian Baumgtner (Kevin from the show).

Quick read, amusing. Shares a similar story with many other successful shows: We were afraid of getting cancelled, etc. Always fun to read those. Focuses on the directors as much as the performers. Would have liked to have heard more from Steve Carell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:01 pm 

The People In the Trees, by Hanya Yanagihara.

A much-heralded novel from about ten years ago that deals with a mild-mannered monster (and colonialism, capitalism, etc.).

Yeah, it's well-regarded and all, but the first 350 pages are so dull and boring that it reminded me of being in college, just before finals, when I would say to myself, "Man, I wish it was next Tuesday, because finals would be finished!" Not much suspense, either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:41 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I lived right where it happened. the first house they came to was ours. I remember that night still. fucking scary as hell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:42 am 

Wayne Kerr wrote:

A much-heralded novel from about ten years ago that deals with a mild-mannered monster (and colonialism, capitalism, etc.).

Yeah, it's well-regarded and all, but the first 350 pages are so dull and boring that it reminded me of being in college, just before finals, when I would say to myself, "Man, I wish it was next Tuesday, because finals would be finished!" Not much suspense, either.

:lol: Well Tommy, I'll jump right on that after I finish sticking a fork in my eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:50 am 

Nardi wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:

:lol: Well Tommy, I'll jump right on that after I finish sticking a fork in my eye

And just wait until you hear what it's about . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 pm 

The Fisherman, by John Langan.

Pretty good horror novel. It has a nested story structure that works pretty well. It shares a few story elements with Pet Sematary and It, but the story is overall much different. The first few chapters are long and drag on a bit, but after that, it's good. It's been described as Lovecraftian, and it is safe to say that it is.

Worth the read if you're looking for a horror novel. Not even 300 pages, but a solid read. Not as good as a few people said, but I am glad to have read it.

EDIT: Nardi would like this one.

See ya in the summah.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Didn't want to start a new thread.

Where do you guys get your books from? I got a couple sources .I like to own the physical sometimes but it can get out of hand. At one point I had over 400 paperbacks. So now it is mostly electronic or Library

1) Local library for something I just maybe want to read, this is for mostly politics and new authors I am trying

2 Amazon. I have been a Kindle guy from when they first came out. being a prime member they have all kinds of free stuff. If I am buying I always go to an Amazon affiliate that you can get for lower price especially for older stuff,abebooks.com. Great selection,easy to find and great prices.

3) for just kind of browsing and reading all kinds of things Scib.com Only downside it is a pay site,$9.99 a month but for what they have it is worth it and for the majority of things you can download and keep even if you cancel the service.

4) lastly specialist store. I read mostly historical/military stuff so lots of what I want I have to go to specific places. Good thing is they have great customer service because they are such a niche service.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:40 pm 

You can get cheap books from so many places, and I can be kind of a cheap ass, so it kills me to pay full price for a book. My favorite places are:

1. paperbackswap.com- you post books you want to get rid of on their website, someone requests one, you send it to them, you get a credit, and then you can use that credit to request a book from another member;

2. Myopic Books in Wicker Park- it's a little expensive by used book store standards, but it's absolutely huge;

3. The Book Table in Oak Park- they have a section tucked behind the register where they sell advance uncorrected proofs for $3; and

4. The Printers Row Litfest- tons of desirable books for less than $10.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:09 am 

Really enjoyed the biography on Da Vinci so going back to the bio well on another guy I wish I knew more about. American Lion which is a biography on Andrew Jackson arrived from Amazon yesterday. Usually when I complete a book I donate it to one of the many local neighborhood libraries we have scattered around the area I live. It’s free for anyone to take or donate a book and they are in peoples front yards randomly. If I like the book and it’s a hardcover version I’ll usually keep it for my shelf.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next