It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Chesdans
denisdman wrote:
Magnificent Chuck wrote:
:lol: burning books looks fun kinda.

Yeah, I'm probably in the wrong place. Maybe I'll start a website where just me and denis talk to each other...

I would very much enjoy that. I have a range of great suggestions for you. Most revolve around European history, historical fictions, and modern financial non fiction. I actually just finished my latest European history book on the Byzantine Empire. I am on the look out for something new and haven't decided which way to go. One book from the way back machine that gets CH all excited is the Two Income Trap. At the time, the author- Professor Warren, was not as well known. That a Libertarian would enjoy that book has always been a source of laughter for our hockey loving friend.

In any case, for younger couples trying to decide if living the two income lifestyle is worth it, this is your book. There are no serious politics in the book. It is a very practical read. Much easier than War & Peace, which I finished last year.

Denis, I would be very interested in history recommendations. Unfortunately I'm like beardown (w/o the chained up teenager) in the fact that I am a one man show and white women hate me. Im not much into econ stuff. I just put it all in the bank and get my 0.5% interest. I do have 401k but my settings are all wrong.

If you like historical fiction, masters of rome is just amazing. It is so detailed it took 6 volumes of 800+ pages to tell the fall of the roman republic from gaius marcus > sulla > Caesar > agustus. So much detail it takes a lot of effort but is worth it.

Last edited by Magnificent Chuck on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Hatchetman wrote:
Mailman just brought The Forgotten Hero of My Lai: The Hugh Thompson Story

Read half of that in a library once. Really amazes me that the guy was never really feted for this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
obviously haven't read yet but know the gist. a real man doesn't go with the "only following orders" bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:58 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Magnificent Chuck wrote:
IMU wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
IMU wrote:
Only .mobi and .epub are allowed. Electronics section.

What about audiobooks, jerk ...

Ew

I listened to the whole of war and peace on audiobook. Its 48 hours of audio.

Historical fictions are great. I learned a ton about Russian and the Napoleonic wars from that book. I never realized the affinity for France within the Russian Elite. Also, the details on the war are fascinating.

The Three Musketeers (five books in total) and the Count of Monte Cristo are even better, by a mile. I still contend there are four musketeers, but that's just me.

I forgot about the three musketeers. Read all 5 and they were great. I had the free download version so the translation sucked. I am going to read them again in a new translation.

Last edited by Magnificent Chuck on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
two books if you have not read them:
Rubicon:last years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland
1776 by David McCullogh

If you want some more alt history
Man with The Iron Heart by Harry Turttledove

The Musketeer books are awesome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
chaspoppcap wrote:
1776 by David McCullogh

Thanks Chas. I'll add all of those to my Kindle list. Recommendations are always the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:13 pm 

Yeah, rubicon. I've got that somewhere on my kindle. I'm getting to it soon. It covers the same period as masters of rome that i mentioned. It would be nice to hear a different perspective on Caesar because it almost seemed like the author Colleen McCullough had a crush on him. He could do no wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:28 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
1776 by David McCullogh

Anything by McCullough is worth reading. 1776 and Truman are excellent. Never read John Adams or the one about the Brooklyn Bridge, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:42 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
1776 by David McCullogh

Anything by McCullough is worth reading. 1776 and Truman are excellent. Never read John Adams or the one about the Brooklyn Bridge, though.

I think I have to read 1776 just to get the taste of that dumb show "turned" out of my mouth. I have it on my computer. I've downloaded enough books to spend the next 20 years in the federal penitentiary.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:44 pm 

Double post. Message board be acting all crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:17 pm 

I finished the Roy Jenkins biography of Churchill a few weeks back. It's very heavy on the politics. Lots of focus of what WSC did as an MP, elections, forming governments, and behind the scenes machinations. It was a chore to get through.

Currently reading Mexico: A Biography of Power.

Earlier in the summer I read an entertaining Billy Martin biography by Bill Pennington. It's pablum. I think I read most of it on the john.

Here's a question for you bibliophiles: When was the last time you read a book authored by a woman? I never gave it any thought until a few years ago. The vast majority of books I have read have been authored by men. Now, I try and purposefully read a book authored by a woman every so often. Doris Kearns Goodwin is always solid in history. Got a Flannery O'Connor short story collection I plan on reading soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Zizou wrote:
Here's a question for you bibliophiles: When was the last time you read a book authored by a woman? I never gave it any thought until a few years ago. The vast majority of books I have read have been authored by men. Now, I try and purposefully read a book authored by a woman every so often. Doris Kearns Goodwin is always solid in history. Got a Flannery O'Connor short story collection I plan on reading soon.

Literally just finished reading Frankenstein a week or so ago. You'd be amazed that the movie is nothing like the book.

Sarah Vowell writes some interesting stuff.

I enjoyed Tina Fey's biography, one of the best ones out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:52 pm 

Zizou wrote:
I finished the Roy Jenkins biography of Churchill a few weeks back. It's very heavy on the politics. Lots of focus of what WSC did as an MP, elections, forming governments, and behind the scenes machinations. It was a chore to get through.

Earlier in the summer I read an entertaining Billy Martin biography by Bill Pennington. It's pablum. I think I read most of it on the john.

Make sure you're in a good place (psychologically and spiritually speaking) when reading O'Connor. Things get ugly in her work, and they get ugly quickly. Fun reads, though.

I've read a lot of fiction and some memoir by women. Laura Hillenbrand (Seabiscuit, Unbroken), Rebecca Skloot, and Stacy Schiff are some (non-memoir) nonfiction writers that come to mind. Two other historians I like are Barbara Tuchman (she writes looong books, but they're interesting) and Judith Herrin.

Team of Rivals was pretty damn good--but I still have to finish it! Read three-fourths, got distracted . . . and so it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:58 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
Literally just finished reading Frankenstein a week or so ago. You'd be amazed that the movie is nothing like the book.

Still such a readable book, too.

And what a cool dude the monster was. He got hosed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:30 am 

Colonel Angus wrote:
Here's a question for you bibliophiles: When was the last time you read a book authored by a woman? I never gave it any thought .

i've read all the HP books and all of gillian flynn's books. very entertaining reads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Zizou wrote:

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood is good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:54 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Zizou wrote:

Make sure you're in a good place (psychologically and spiritually speaking) when reading O'Connor. Things get ugly in her work, and they get ugly quickly. Fun reads, though.

I've read a lot of fiction and some memoir by women. Laura Hillenbrand (Seabiscuit, Unbroken), Rebecca Skloot, and Stacy Schiff are some (non-memoir) nonfiction writers that come to mind. Two other historians I like are Barbara Tuchman (she writes looong books, but they're interesting) and Judith Herrin.

Team of Rivals was pretty damn good--but I still have to finish it! Read three-fourths, got distracted . . . and so it goes.

I did read a Tuchman book last year; The Guns of August. Highly recommend it. It's about the beginnings of WWI. I think it went up the initial halt of the German offensive on the Western front outside of Paris.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
chaspoppcap wrote:

A fascinating time in history. Its interesting how Sulla's march on Rome and his defeat of Marius (Caesar's ancestor) eventually paved the way for Caesar's own dictatorship.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:25 am 

Zizou wrote:

I did read a Tuchman book last year; The Guns of August. Highly recommend it. It's about the beginnings of WWI. I think it went up the initial halt of the German offensive on the Western front outside of Paris.

"a distant mirror" is really good too. takes place during the 100 years war, covering a lot of the goingson in the 14th century.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:03 am 

W_Z wrote:
Zizou wrote:

"a distant mirror" is really good too. takes place during the 100 years war, covering a lot of the goingson in the 14th century.

Great book. One of my favorites.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Going All The Way by Dan Wakefield. Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo. Two of the best books ever written and both made into movies. Nobody was more noteworthy as Paul Newman starred in it. Going had a young Ben Affleck and Jeremy Davies and suffered from a poor adaptation of the book.Both are well worth a read.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:04 pm 

Scooter wrote:
Going All The Way by Dan Wakefield. Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo. Two of the best books ever written and both made into movies. Nobody was more noteworthy as Paul Newman starred in it. Going had a young Ben Affleck and Jeremy Davies and suffered from a poor adaptation of the book.Both are well worth a read.

Empire Falls!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:05 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Big props to psycory. The Expanse is a pretty awesome read.

I realize this seems completely random, but one of the greatest books I've ever read is The Social History of the Machine Gun. Its completely different reading from most anything out there and I highly recommend it, if anything just for a different type of read.

https://www.amazon.com/Social-History-Machine-Gun/dp/0801833582

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:06 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Thanks,
Another suggestion if you like Game of Thrones but wished he could finish writing it, Joe Abercrombie has two trilogies that are great: The First Law trilogy (The blade itself, Before they are hanged, Last Argument of kings) and The Shattered Sea Trilogy (Half a King, Half the world, Half a war).

Two different worlds, the First Law series as a couple of other books that take place in that world but not a part of the trilogy (Best served cold, the heroes, red country).
Over all, one of my favorite authors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
denisdman wrote:
Big Brane wrote:
CFMB READING CONTEST AT MCBRIDES??? MAYBE TEERY'S PEEPS CAN ORGANIZE? I HAVE DARKSIDE AS THE EARLY FAVORITE.

I bet you DS can read schematics better than anyone here....and that is not a dig. Those things confuse the heck out of me.

As far as I know it's just lines connecting parts.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 am 

Psycory wrote:
Thanks,
Another suggestion if you like Game of Thrones but wished he could finish writing it, Joe Abercrombie has two trilogies that are great: The First Law trilogy (The blade itself, Before they are hanged, Last Argument of kings) and The Shattered Sea Trilogy (Half a King, Half the world, Half a war).

Two different worlds, the First Law series as a couple of other books that take place in that world but not a part of the trilogy (Best served cold, the heroes, red country).
Over all, one of my favorite authors.

I quit Game of Thrones after two books. Read the first two twice--they are that good, aren't they?--but I just didn't see any light. The evil people kept winning. I wanted comeuppance! Didn't know if I could wait that long. Never had that experience before....except with some Cormac McCarthy books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Julie DiCaro needs her own section before one on dumb books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:43 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Zizou wrote:

A few years ago I was really into medieval history and was about to read "a distant mirror" but a few reviews I read criticized her style. I don't remember if they said it was dry or boring or whatever, but you guys would strongly recommend it?

It's a very long book so I was hesitant...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:08 pm 

Magnificent Chuck wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Zizou wrote:

A few years ago I was really into medieval history and was about to read "a distant mirror" but a few reviews I read criticized her style. I don't remember if they said it was dry or boring or whatever, but you guys would strongly recommend it?

It's a very long book so I was hesitant...

Definitely read it. Remember, you don't have to read all of it. Skim what's boring, skip around, whatever--but you'll enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:50 pm 

Thanks. That's good advice. I have a tendency force myself to read and understand every line in a book. Then I get bogged down in the dry sections.

I will give it a try!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next