It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
T-Bone wrote:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline for a long Labor Day weekend. Being made into a major motion picture for 2018 release by Steven Spielberg.

After the first 50 pages, I couldn't put it down. The dialogue was a bit cheesy, but the story was great.

I just download and already knocked out 25% of Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Historical fiction about an Italian guy during WW2. Pretty solid so far. $1.99 on Kindle Reader.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Ready Player One was good.
I'm reading The Water Knife. If you want to read a murder mystery in a potential post-climate change future where the Southwest is Fucked, I recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Right now, reading Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly...can't stand the guy on TV, but he's a pretty good writer.

Finished reading Columbine by Dave Cullen a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Right now, reading Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly...can't stand the guy on TV, but he's a pretty good writer.

I read the Lincoln and Kennedy ones and both were good, relatively quick reads that were informative. I actually read Killing Jesus
which I found possibly the most interesting of all three, and I am not overly religious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am 

T-Bone wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I read the Lincoln and Kennedy ones and both were good, relatively quick reads that were informative. I actually read Killing Jesus
which I found possibly the most interesting of all three, and I am not overly religious.

I liked the Lincoln book...read that a while back. National Geographic made good docudramas of both books, too.

I'l thinking about Killing Jesus. There's a rising sun one that looks pretty good, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Rubirosa
sjboyd0137 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I liked the Lincoln book...read that a while back. National Geographic made good docudramas of both books, too.

I'l thinking about Killing Jesus. There's a rising sun one that looks pretty good, too.

Just wait until I settle all these lawsuits. I've been working on the outline for Killing Seacrest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:39 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Looking for a good book on the history of Negro League baseball...any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:55 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Looking for a good book about unsolved mysteries/true crime. Nothing self-published on Amazon. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:23 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Just started reading(listening actually) Chernow's bio of Alexander Hamilton.

Holy crap, he was a prolific writer. War hero, founding father, serious player, etc...still found time to hand write over 22,000 pages of stuff and dead before 50.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:27 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
GoldenJet wrote:

Holy crap, he was a prolific writer. War hero, founding father, serious player, etc...still found time to hand write over 22,000 pages of stuff and dead before 50.

I didn't know until recently that he was black and could sing and dance either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:56 am 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Looking for a good book about unsolved mysteries/true crime. Nothing self-published on Amazon. Any suggestions?

Not sure if this qualifies, and it isn't a new book, but Devil in the White City is a great book about a serial killer in Chicago during the
1893 Worlds Fair. Pretty damn good book, and DiCaprio bought the film rights do it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it made into a film
down the line here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Certainly not new, but if you haven't read it I recommend Fatal Vision by Joe McInniss. McInniss was hired by the convicted killer Jeffrey MacDonald to write a book and clear his name but as he investigated, McInniss became convinced that MacDonald did it. Oops! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
pittmike wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I didn't know until recently that he was black and could sing and dance either.

They're coming for your whiteness too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Well, anything on Zodiac is good from the mainstream stuff. John Douglas,The Cases That Haunt Us is a real good look at some Historical unsolved . I do though disagree with him on the Ramsey case. Devil's Knot is good about the West Memphis 3 case.
Just read a book called Dangerous Ground By Michael Phelps. He was the guy who did the show Dark minds on Discovery . It goes into his relationship with the guy the called "Raven" on the show.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:17 am 

Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Profiles a young Italian during the Nazi control of Italy during WW2. It's a historical fiction. The boy becomes the driver for one of the highest Nazi generals in Italy and relays intel to the Allied Forces.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
T-Bone wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Not sure if this qualifies, and it isn't a new book, but Devil in the White City is a great book about a serial killer in Chicago during the
1893 Worlds Fair. Pretty damn good book, and DiCaprio bought the film rights do it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it made into a film
down the line here.

So effing depressing . . .

--Larson's book about the US ambassador to Nazi Germany was even better, I thought.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Looking for a good book on the history of Negro League baseball...any suggestions?

Never read it, but Only the Ball Was White is supposed to be a good one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:32 am 

tommy wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

down the line here.

So effing depressing . . .

--Larson's book about the US ambassador to Nazi Germany was even better, I thought.

It has been a long time since I read "Devil" but it was probably pretty depressing. I really enjoyed the way that he was able to weave in the
Chicago history with the building of the skyscrapers and the World's Fair though. That was as interesting as the serial killer storyline to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:05 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
It has been a long time since I read "Devil" but it was probably pretty depressing. I really enjoyed the way that he was able to weave in the
Chicago history with the building of the skyscrapers and the World's Fair though. That was as interesting as the serial killer storyline to me.

Yeah, it certainly was....

On an unrelated note . . .

I read One L by Scott Turow a few weeks ago. About his first year at Harvard Law. First half was great. Engrossing. Then he got kind of whiny and ego-centric. Said he thought one prof was trying to compete with the students while another was too harsh. Maybe the harsh guy was just trying to bring out the best in them. This was in the mid-70s, mind you, not 2014. Thus, reading the second half of the book was like being on a date with a good-looking woman (or whatever you are into) and then feeling, slowly but surely, the stomach flu coming on. The second half was a progressively more and more miserable read.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Devil was good. I started Garden of Beasts but I'm thinking I lost the book so I stopped reading it. Picked up Dead Wake the other day and I know my Wife liked the one on the Galveston Hurricane.

Similar from a different Author is Close To Shore about the shark attacks that in part inspired Jaws. Brother in law gave me that one once on vacation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Devil was good. I started Garden of Beasts but I'm thinking I lost the book so I stopped reading it. Picked up Dead Wake the other day and I know my Wife liked the one on the Galveston Hurricane.

Similar from a different Author is Close To Shore about the shark attacks that in part inspired Jaws. Brother in law gave me that one once on vacation.

Dead Wake is very good.

I started reading both Britt-Marie Was Here and Beartown by Fredrik Backman.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
All I read is war books. Eveything else is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
tommy wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Yeah, it certainly was....

On an unrelated note . . .

I read One L by Scott Turow a few weeks ago. About his first year at Harvard Law. First half was great. Engrossing. Then he got kind of whiny and ego-centric. Said he thought one prof was trying to compete with the students while another was too harsh. Maybe the harsh guy was just trying to bring out the best in them. This was in the mid-70s, mind you, not 2014. Thus, reading the second half of the book was like being on a date with a good-looking woman (or whatever you are into) and then feeling, slowly but surely, the stomach flu coming on. The second half was a progressively more and more miserable read.
Then the fucker used Sandy Stern in his other books

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am reading a new book I found. Red Storm Rising. Seems apropos.

Snark, Snark, Snark.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Tad Queasy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Dead Wake is very good.

I started reading both Britt-Marie Was Here and Beartown by Fredrik Backman.

Have been on the road a lot of late and just did the hardcore history on WWI and realized that whole era is something we never covered much in school and that has escaped my book coverage of late. My one kid is fascinated by history and is reviving my interest in reading about stuff because he's starting to learn things that I've forgotten and I can't have that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
pittmike wrote:
I am reading a new book I found. Red Storm Rising. Seems apropos.

Snark, Snark, Snark.

Get your hands on Larry Bonds Red Phoenix that is about a North Korean attack,very good book

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:34 pm 

Hmm, just downloaded this one for my upcoming trip. Sounds compelling. $2.99 on Amazon for Kindle.

The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way Kindle Edition

by Amanda Ripley (Author)

How do other countries create “smarter” kids? What is it like to be a child in the world’s new education superpowers? The Smartest Kids in the World “gets well beneath the glossy surfaces of these foreign cultures and manages to make our own culture look newly strange....The question is whether the startling perspective provided by this masterly book can also generate the will to make changes” (The New York Times Book Review).

In a handful of nations, virtually all children are learning to make complex arguments and solve problems they’ve never seen before. They are learning to think, in other words, and to thrive in the modern economy. Inspired to find answers for our own children, author and Time magazine journalist Amanda Ripley follows three Americans embed­ded in these countries for one year. Kim, fifteen, raises $10,000 so she can move from Oklahoma to Finland; Eric, eighteen, trades his high-achieving Minnesota suburb for a booming city in South Korea; and Tom, seventeen, leaves a historic Pennsylvania village for Poland.

Through these young informants, Ripley meets battle-scarred reformers, sleep-deprived zombie students, and a teacher who earns $4 million a year. Their stories, along with groundbreaking research into learning in other cultures, reveal a pattern of startling transformation: none of these countries had many “smart” kids a few decades ago. Things had changed. Teaching had become more rigorous; parents had focused on things that mattered; and children had bought into the promise of education.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I think this was the Ty Cobb thread but there was a guy on the radio last night talking about him.

Here is the link to the radio show :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSB7df5xl6k

It's the first half of the show. The link isn't very reliable so if you want to listen act fast.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
HawaiiYou wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty, by Charles Leerhsen.

“The source of my trouble with Cobb was simple,” Donie Bush, one of Cobb’s former Tigers teammates, explained. “He expected me to do the things he did, and I just couldn’t be so perfect. Who could?” Leerhsen’s engaging “exhumation” of Cobb and his reputation reveals that the man who most people today regard as “the most hated man in baseball” was a complex person whose relationships with his teammates, the fans, and African Americans are not what you might think. Leerhsen claims that Cobb’s standing was poisoned by stories passed around by sportswriters and biographies written after his death.

For instance, it’s common wisdom that Cobb was an ignorant racist. Yet he employed African Americans to assist him both in Detroit and in the Deep South. Hardly a Klansman, Cobb came from a liberal family whose grandfather was an abolitionist and whose father was more akin to Atticus Finch than a supporter of Jim Crow. Neither was Cobb, according to Leerhsen, a “rube,” but the son of a state senator and something of an intellectual himself. What about the stories of Cobb intentionally spiking opponents? If you actually asked his opponents—and Leerhsen does the research—they are quiet on the issue. Leerhsen reveals how rumors like these ones got started and, using assiduously researched sources, pokes holes in many of the anecdotes that people use to support their view of Cobb.

Cobb, of course, was a sumbitch. Growing up, he was a little guy who had to beg his way on to the local team (at age twelve!). A “born battler,” he was also raised in what the author calls “fighting times,” and if you have ever read anything about sports in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, you already know that most ballplayers were used to brawling (and drinking and cheating). Simply put, he had a short fuse. And though Cobb wouldn’t spike anyone simply to hurt the other player, but I can’t imagine that anyone has ever played harder. Think of a competitor on Michael Jordan’s level—yet twice as driven. The author describes Cobb as “hypersensitive.” If you criticized him, he would get in your face. “Don’t get Cobb mad,” Connie Mack warned others. What made Cobb great, though, is what makes so many other people wilt: He liked opposition. He liked being challenged. It sounds odd that someone who was hypersensitive would enjoy being prodded, but Cobb was complex. He was a strange mixture of insecurity and confidence, emotional fragility and resilience.

He was so sensitive because, like so many other people, he never quite felt he was good enough. He never thought he was (like Shoeless Joe) a natural, meaning that he worked harder than anyone. Most forget that speed was the name of his game, and he worked on his speed as much as he worked on his hitting. He also was a cerebral player, Leerhsen argues, trying to distract pitchers when he was on base, feigning stealing and using any advantage he could. He was an irritant—yet one who batted .367 and stole nearly 900 bases.

Remarkably, his career almost fizzled before he got the chance to become a superstar. During his first few two seasons, he was hazed by several other Tigers, and while Cobb fought back, the players who bullied him tried to ostracize him from the team. This bullying went on longer—much longer—than the usual rookie hazing. Why? Leerhsen explains that Cobb’s teammates hated his “Southernness . . . his bookishness (and) his popularity.” At the time, Southerners in the North were still expected to “display sufficient deference,” and Cobb, who had an “aristocratic” way about him, did not. Plus, it became clear by Cobb’s second season that he was good—too damn good, in fact. In short, Cobb was a target and his teammates nearly destroyed his career.

At about the same time, during his second season, Cobb’s mother was being tried. Cobb witnessed her shooting and killing his father. His mother was not convicted, but Cobb was devastated. This, along with the hazing and his status as an outsider in the North among a bunch of rough characters, led to what Leershen suggests was a nervous breakdown. Cobb left the Tigers in his second season for several weeks for a local sanitarium. Apparently, he healed himself well, because when he came back, he went on a twenty-year tear.

Why did some people during his time despise him? They didn’t quite despise him as we might think. He was the game’s biggest draw before Ruth (who was also booed on the road). He irritated other players with his intensity, talent, and brainy approach to the game. (He wanted to be a “mental hazard” for his opponents.) He took every advantage possible, and people like that can be tiring. However, many of his actions—including the photo of Cobb sliding into the catcher Paul Krichell, a photo in which Cobb appears to be spiking Krichell out of spite—were taken out of context. By playing hard, Cobb found himself involved in various controversies. But since whatever Cobb did was news, those stories were blown out of proportion. “Cobb was the roughest, toughest player I ever saw, a terror on the basepaths,” said former adversary Burt Shotten. “He was not dirty, though. . . . But if you ever got in the way of his flying spikes, brother, you were a dead turkey.” Opponents generally respected him.

Previous biographers simply assumed that Cobb was racist. He did beat a black man senseless in Detroit, but the two seemed to egg one another on. In another incident a few years later, Cobb got into a fight with a bellboy who one biographer assumed was black, though Leerhsen finds no evidence of that. In fact, given the times, Leerhsen argues that since the bellboy’s race was not mentioned, it is probably safer to assume that he was white. In any case, the biographies of Cobb written after his death ruined his reputation; even writers like Bill Bryson speak confidently of Cobb’s psychopathic tendencies. And by today’s standards, Cobb might appear that way; in truth, he was a tightly-wound and often violent person. But, according to Leerhsen, he was no psychopath.

All in all, this is a fantastic read. Leerhsen has done exhaustive research. What’s more, he’s an excellent writer; the book is clear, engaging, and often hilarious. It’s a dense 400 pages, but worth the read.

His grandson hershel cobb had a book out a few years ago about him. he said he turned the corner when it came to African American's and supported Jackie Robinson's admission to baseball.

I think this was the Ty Cobb thread but there was a guy on the radio last night talking about him.

Here is the link to the radio show :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSB7df5xl6k

It's the first half of the show. The link isn't very reliable so if you want to listen act fast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next