It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Baseball Books
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Mendota had a Pizza Hut...right next to their stoplight.

I didn't say I lived there. I just went to the high school.

Not for nothing, you did say “I’m from Mendota”.

I once knew a guy from Mendota. He was a little old man named Michael Ross. He owned a top pacing filly named Incredible Tillie. Mr. Ross was a former vaudevillian who played the violin with his feet. True story.

I was hoping like hell this was going to be a really good limerick

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I once knew a guy from Mendota.

Minnesota, Ray Liota, Racial Quotas...It'll come to me

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

I once knew a podcaster from Mendota
Whose topics covered every quota;
But his podcasts began to wane
despite his tasteful allegiance to Champaign,
and now he screams at Bernstein in his Toyota.

Sheesh...that town name is a killer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:43 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
I just finished Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius by Bill Pennington. I was too young to experience much of Martin's exploits in real time. As a kid, I just knew he was the guy that Steinbrenner kept hiring and firing but, good lord, was this guy a piece of work. He was too intense for the 70's. If he were hired now, he would be fired and canceled about two weeks into spring training. All that being said, it was probably the most entertaining baseball book I've ever read.

Just finished the first seven chapters (most of his growing up in Berkeley) and it's already great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
I just finished Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius by Bill Pennington. I was too young to experience much of Martin's exploits in real time. As a kid, I just knew he was the guy that Steinbrenner kept hiring and firing but, good lord, was this guy a piece of work. He was too intense for the 70's. If he were hired now, he would be fired and canceled about two weeks into spring training. All that being said, it was probably the most entertaining baseball book I've ever read.

Just finished the first seven chapters (most of his growing up in Berkeley) and it's already great.

I doubt we'll see another manager like him again for the rest of our lifetimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:59 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Amazing book, even though it is awfully-written (at the sentence level, I mean). But wow--this was fantastic. At this point in my life, I think I understand his personality type well, especially the connection between low self-esteem or past trauma with aggressiveness and his ability to be a huge jag in a few situations and a good-hearted, other-directed person in most other situations. You get a good grasp of "Billy Ball" as well, and you can see why he was really one of the icons of the game in four different decades. In my top five baseball books.

Thanks for the rec, Deacon!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:31 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

I once knew a podcaster from Mendota
Whose topics covered every quota;
But his podcasts began to wane
despite his tasteful allegiance to Champaign,
and now he screams at Bernstein in his Toyota.

Sheesh...that town name is a killer.

I do own a Toyota.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Amazing book, even though it is awfully-written (at the sentence level, I mean). But wow--this was fantastic. At this point in my life, I think I understand his personality type well, especially the connection between low self-esteem or past trauma with aggressiveness and his ability to be a huge jag in a few situations and a good-hearted, other-directed person in most other situations. You get a good grasp of "Billy Ball" as well, and you can see why he was really one of the icons of the game in four different decades. In my top five baseball books.

Thanks for the rec, Deacon!

I wasn't blown away by the writing, but I don't need something that's insanely well written. I just want to not be distracted by bad writing, I thought Pennington delivered on that level.

You have an interesting take on his personality. I just thought he was stubborn as an ox and refused to give in to anyone, even when giving in would be the smart play.

In terms of "Billy Ball," I think it would be fun to see that aggressive style of play set loose once again. Maybe the rule changes will bring it back a little, we'll see.

You've given me so many good baseball book recs over the years, it's nice to return the favor. By the way, I bought my dad One Shot at Forever for Father's Day. He took it down in about a day and a half and enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:51 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
You have an interesting take on his personality. I just thought he was stubborn as an ox and refused to give in to anyone, even when giving in would be the smart play.

It's funny, because I agree with what I said, but I also can see the truth in what you are saying here. He was a complex dude. His own worst enemy in many ways (which is something many can relate to).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:47 pm 

The Death Row All Stars: A Story of Baseball, Corruption, and Murder

Was not particularly interesting. There are a bunch of newspaper articles that can tell you all you need to know. No happy ending, and the convicts only played four games. Was hoping for more from this one. Best part about the book is this photo; it pretty much is the most interesting thing about the story:

(sorry, I tried to make the photo smaller)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6