It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baseball Books
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Try to keep up crest. I don’t care what the history is

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Where Nobody Knows Your Name: Life In the Minor Leagues of Baseball, by John Feinstein.

Dull book. It focuses on Triple A. Not really about life in the minors, but about several players (including Scotty Pods) who went back and forth or were trying to re-start stalled careers, a few career-minor leaguers, and two coaches, and an ump. Like his sixty second opinions on the radio, Feinstein goes into little depth. The stories are not really compelling because they are all kind of the same. Plus, the details are repetitive af.

His book on Bobby Knight was good, but anything else I've read by Feinstein has been a waste of time.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
tommy wrote:
Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty, by Charles Leerhsen. What an amazing book; this is what biography should be. Too much to summarize, but it is a revealing look at Cobb, baseball, and America. Leerhsen also wrote a book about Dan Patch, the racing horse, which was excellent.

I picked this one up but haven't gotten to it yet. I guess Okrent from the Burns doc was urged to read it by a friend. He was so surprised by what he was reading he looked into some of the allegations himself and found them to be true. It sounds like Cobb wasn't the evil person he was portrayed to be in Ken Burns doc but more like a Jordan/Bird/Senna ultra-competitive type guy that rubbed people the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
tommy wrote:
Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty, by Charles Leerhsen. What an amazing book; this is what biography should be. Too much to summarize, but it is a revealing look at Cobb, baseball, and America. Leerhsen also wrote a book about Dan Patch, the racing horse, which was excellent.

I picked this one up but haven't gotten to it yet. I guess Okrent from the Burns doc was urged to read it by a friend. He was so surprised by what he was reading he looked into some of the allegations himself and found them to be true. It sounds like Cobb wasn't the evil person he was portrayed to be in Ken Burns doc but more like a Jordan/Bird/Senna ultra-competitive type guy that rubbed people the wrong way.

Can't recommend the book any higher. It's a big chunk of book, but very thorough and well-researched. And when the writer is offering interpretations, he lets you know.

Those are good comps.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
MongoMuller wrote:
tommy wrote:

Interview with the author here : https://baseballbythebook.libsyn.com/ep ... ble-beauty

btw I love baseball by the book (https://baseballbythebook.libsyn.com) - great podcasts on baseball books

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
tommy wrote:
The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball, by Frank Deford. This was a great book. Deford tells a good story, and he did a good job with the research.

I just finished this one. A lot of good content from the underappreciated pre-Ruthian era. However, it's just dripping in Deford. It took me a while to get into his grandiose style, but once you get on his wavelength, it's an enjoyable read.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
tommy wrote:
The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball, by Frank Deford. This was a great book. Deford tells a good story, and he did a good job with the research.

I just finished this one. A lot of good content from the underappreciated pre-Ruthian era. However, it's just dripping in Deford. It took me a while to get into his grandiose style, but once you get on his wavelength, it's an enjoyable read.

Yes, very Deford, but great fun!

I love that pre-Ruthian era, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
tommy wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
tommy wrote:

A friend of mine's grandfather pitched for McGraw's Giants. I believe he is the last guy- maybe the only guy?- to be the winning pitcher in the World Series clincher two years in a row. He was never on a team with Mathewson though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
I just downloaded the Cobb: A Terrible Beauty audiobook. Is it good? I'm fascinated by Cobb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
tommy wrote:

A friend of mine's grandfather pitched for McGraw's Giants. I believe he is the last guy- maybe the only guy?- to be the winning pitcher in the World Series clincher two years in a row. He was never on a team with Mathewson though.

That was one of the interesting parts of the book. They had more World Series success after Matthewson was gone, than they did when he was pitching for them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
I just downloaded the Cobb: A Terrible Beauty audiobook. Is it good? I'm fascinated by Cobb

Oh yeah. Fantastic book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 pm 

If You Build It...: A book about Fathers, Fate and Field of Dreams, by Dwier Brown.

I sent this to a board member and figured I'd post it on this awful day.

Anyway, this is a decent little book written by the guy who played Ray Kinsella's dad in Field of Dreams. The book is about Brown's experience making the film, his relationship with his father, and the people who were touched by the film's final scene and approached Brown over the past few decades to tell him about it. Get the Kindle version for $8, because it is short (you'll read it in one or two days).

It's not necessarily a well-written book--Brown is not a writer--but it is a pleasant enough journey. It's pretty sentimental, but sometimes, sentimental is ok. If you were close with your dad, or if you are a dad now, it would be worth the read. Fans of the Field of Dreams might like it, too, because it offers some background into the making of the film, including the poignant final scene. I've read the book twice, and it occurs to me that it might be a good Father's Day gift--even if it is your Father's Day gift to yourself. (It's definitely about fathers and sons and how men, according to Brown, communicate.)

Upon finishing the book, I went directly to my DVD player and watched the last twenty minutes of the film. And then I watched it from the beginning. It was cool to sort of be in that universe for a while, and then to contemplate my own relationship with my kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:07 am 

So, I listened to the Cobb audiobook. Pretty insane that Ken Burns didn't even bother to get the facts straight. What celebrity or athlete would you compare Cobb too? He's very complex. Smart, insecure, bad temper, good businessman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:40 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
So, I listened to the Cobb audiobook. Pretty insane that Ken Burns didn't even bother to get the facts straight. What celebrity or athlete would you compare Cobb too? He's very complex. Smart, insecure, bad temper, good businessman.

That's a great question--who Cobb is like. He's complex for sure. He's as competitive as MJ is supposed to be....but there must be better comparisons. Being complex doesn't sell well today, unless you're one of the lucky celebs who get a pass.

No surprise about the Ken Burns film. I watched it once and thought, why am I watching a commercial for NY city?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:52 pm 

Maybe a little Barry Bonds?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
That's a great question--who Cobb is like. He's complex for sure. He's as competitive as MJ is supposed to be....but there must be better comparisons.

John McEnroe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
That's a great question--who Cobb is like. He's complex for sure. He's as competitive as MJ is supposed to be....but there must be better comparisons.

John McEnroe.

Steve Carlton? A non sociopathic Sandy Koufax?

Maybe Jackie Robinson.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Crazy '08.

The title ain't kidding. Shit was nuts back then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 pm 

This list just came out:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/b ... ooks-ever/

I was pleased to see that The MVP Machine that Bernstein was pushing so hard a while back did not make the cut, but I think Men At Work by George Will should have made the list. The Glory of Their Times winds up on all these lists. I picked it up based on Tommy's recommendation, but have yet to read it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Angie's
Warren Newson wrote:
This list just came out:

I was pleased to see that The MVP Machine that Bernstein was pushing so hard a while back did not make the cut, but I think Men At Work by George Will should have made the list. The Glory of Their Times winds up on all these lists. I picked it up based on Tommy's recommendation, but have yet to read it.

This is cool...

The Glory of Their Times is so much fun. You can listen to the actual players, too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 am 

Anyone ever read this? Black Ball: A Negro Leagues Journal. I happened to read one article once (I was talking about it in some other thread), and the series looks interesting. Supposed to be peer-reviewed. It's a little pricey, though, even for the Kindle version.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:09 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
This list just came out:

This is cool...

The Glory of Their Times is so much fun. You can listen to the actual players, too.

I finally got around to reading it. It's solid, but it's a lot of the same thing. It's the type of book that you should probably read while you're reading something else, so you can break it up a little bit.

A handful of observations:

1. There's some "old man yelling at cloud" stuff in here vis a vis modern baseball (baseball as of the mid 60's, when the book was written), but not a lot of it;
2. Almost all of them went out of their way to praise Willie Mays;
3. It's pretty startling how player development has changed over the last 100 years. Almost everyone interviewed told a story of playing in some podunk league, having a scout happen by who watched one or two games, and then being in the majors within one or two years;
4. I think Willie Kamm was the only guy interviewed who spent the majority of his career with the White Sox; and
5. Hank Greenberg shared the following thought: "I've always believed that the most important aspect of hitting is driving in runs. Runs batted in are more important than batting average, more important than home runs, more important than anything. That's what wins ball games: driving runs across the plate." If he called into WSCR and shared that thought in 2022, he'd probably get hung up on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:38 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
A handful of observations:

Warren Newson's post reminded me of this video by Jean Shepherd about the South Side and North Side and, especially, how his dad cost the Sox a game against Gehrig's Yankees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2e3Ov1 ... spshellnut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
My brother used to own a horse named Chicago Ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJWaPR_n68

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:48 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
My brother used to own a horse named Chicago Ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJWaPR_n68

He was a winner.

Had that TWTW.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:48 pm 

I just finished Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius by Bill Pennington. I was too young to experience much of Martin's exploits in real time. As a kid, I just knew he was the guy that Steinbrenner kept hiring and firing but, good lord, was this guy a piece of work. He was too intense for the 70's. If he were hired now, he would be fired and canceled about two weeks into spring training. All that being said, it was probably the most entertaining baseball book I've ever read.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:13 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
tommy wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

That's a great question--who Cobb is like. He's complex for sure. He's as competitive as MJ is supposed to be....but there must be better comparisons. Being complex doesn't sell well today, unless you're one of the lucky celebs who get a pass.

Rodman? KD? Vick? Komlo? Bauer?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:56 pm 

One Shot at Forever: A Small Town, an Unlikely Coach, and a Magical Baseball Season, by Chris Bllard. WOW! One of my favorite experiences reading a book EVER!! A small-town Illinois team with barely enough players and not enough uniforms gets a new coach who shakes up the classrooms with his hippie ideas and leads the team to the brink of the state championship. Kind of like Hoosiers for baseball. Reading this was like having a three-way (with the other two being women, I mean

I just finished this one. You're right, Tommy. It was absolutely delightful. My brother-in-law's grandfather also made a cameo.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:
One Shot at Forever: A Small Town, an Unlikely Coach, and a Magical Baseball Season, by Chris Bllard. WOW! One of my favorite experiences reading a book EVER!! A small-town Illinois team with barely enough players and not enough uniforms gets a new coach who shakes up the classrooms with his hippie ideas and leads the team to the brink of the state championship. Kind of like Hoosiers for baseball. Reading this was like having a three-way (with the other two being women, I mean

I just finished this one. You're right, Tommy. It was absolutely delightful. My brother-in-law's grandfather also made a cameo.

Really? That's cool!

Yeah, this one has stayed with me.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:09 pm 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Really? That's cool!

Yeah, this one has stayed with me.

He was a guy who lived in the town that was mentioned once in the book. He wasn't affiliated with the baseball team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next