It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lauren Oyler Reviewed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
Oyler’s book is not very good, I’m afraid, but it’s written in the idiom of the contemporary internet and is about “the Millennial experience” so it’s receiving the kind of desultory positive reviews we give to young women writers who look like the future, which in the long run turn out to be a burdensome type of white elephant.

Quote:
While I was reading Fake Accounts I often couldn’t help but think of Oyler’s bizarre, frequently asyntactic review of Jia Tolentino’s Trick Mirror. Appearing in the august London Review of Books, that review read like someone had Benjamin Buttoned their way through an education in writing and arrived at a place where they could construct some elaborately engineered sentences of real craftsmanship but was unclear on the whole concept of subject and object. That mangled grammar is, I suspect, a tactical choice: if you write in an artificially high register, as Oyler does in her essayistic writing, and you throw enough arch and elliptical sentences out there, chances are a lot of people who secretly don’t trust their own reading comprehension will get to something they don’t understand, chuckle, and say “ah yes, quite.”

:lol:

Quote:
Campaign polls are… insincerely woke? What? I don’t know what kind of Facebook friends Oyler has (just kidding, I guarantee you she’s too cool to have Facebook) but when mine talk about skincare or astrology or homeopathy, I assure you, they are achingly sincere. This is just awful, awful writing, and the cause is someone who’s too busy trying to impress to write sensibly. The fact that this review seems to have been well received, I say again, is either a function of people not getting it and being afraid of seeming not to get it or, even bleaker, of not wanting to publicly insult a rising Cool Girl.

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/re ... e-accounts?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
I started Fake Accounts and waited for it to get better. It didn't and I had to call it. I was disappointed, because I think Lauren Oyler is a really good reviewer (Freddie's review of her Trick Mirror review is surprisingly uncharitable), but I don't think her fiction is too great. It didn't feel true to her voice. I've always grouped her in with the more heterodox side of the left -- hell, she went after Jia Tolentino, which everyone else is loath to do -- but the book was written in a much more conventional girlbossy tone and didn't exactly feel like a satire of it. It really was a bad outcome for her: she talked shit about what Jia Tolentino and Sally Rooney do, tried to do it herself, but did it worse. She should just give up the ghost and get on Substack with everyone else who voted for Bernie and makes people mad.

I thought the point about hyping women writers' innate talent so as to chastise them for not fulfilling it was an interesting one. Fortunately, I don't think anyone will accuse Julie DiCaro's book of failing to live up to her innate talent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
I am out of the loop on all of this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'm a big fan of Oyler. I haven't read her novel though.

Bonus: She was extremely anti-lockdown. Though she quickly shut up about it. She was probably afraid she would be kicked out of Brooklyn.

Extra Bonus: She's cute as hell:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:45 am 
Site Admin

And Freddie is right that women writers are judged on their "looks", though I would say it's more than that, it's a total package. Donna Tartt is a great writer, but her look is important too.

But I'm not sure I would say that it isn't important for male authors. At least in some cases it is. I don't think Hemingway would be Hemingway if he looked like Jay Baruchel.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Percy Bysshe Shelley was quite famous despite looking like Jay.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I do this thing. People who look like writers but so very aren't. Hawk Harrelson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:43 am 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Percy Bysshe Shelley was quite famous despite looking like Jay.

I don't think it's about fame. I doubt many people knew what Shelley looked like in his time. He was a fucking romantic poet. He could get away with looking like a simp. And he was more handsome than Jay Baruchel.

Look, whether we like it or not, in the modern media world, looks/image are important. Bachman-Turner Overdrive would have never succeeded in the MTV era.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:05 am 

To me she looks like replacement level Brooklyn girl. Not saying she's unattractive, but I don't think she got a lot of breaks as a writer because she's incredibly good looking or anything. I think it's a bit lazy to say that all female writers have this incredible cross to bear because... society or something. If they are attractive it likely opens up more doors.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Bonus: She was extremely anti-lockdown. Though she quickly shut up about it. She was probably afraid she would be kicked out of Brooklyn.

Extra Bonus: She's cute as hell:

Man, she’s so Lilith Fair.

Seriously what’s with the Kurt Cobain selfie, are you trying to prove your alternativeness with that look?

A lot of these female journos are just real-life Rory Gilmores.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote: