It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3/12: Brackets suck!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Over/under on when Danny tells us all that he doesn't fill in a bracket because of the randomness of the NCAA tourney? Oh, and they are only for mouth breathing losers who don't enjoy real basketball because of all the "tattooed thugs" (in meatball voice) in the NBA.

I'll set it at 1:37pm.

Post subject: Re: 3/12: Brackets suck!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Pagliai's Iowa City
I think it happens in Transition. I'll say 1:08.

Don't forget his diatribe on college basketball will also include ripping on anyone who enjoys March Madness for the upsets/Cinderella's and that "if you enjoy watching Butler in the title game you're an idiot". The rant will undoubtedly include a summary on why the NBA is a far superior product because it's played by "Grown Ass Men".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Bernsy's latest column in which he offers absolutely no sympathy for Northwestern and other schools that missed the NCAA Tournament can be found here:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/11/ ... -brackets/

As for the game plan for today's show...

*3p: BTN's Tim Doyle
*3:30p: "The Second Half"
*4p: Basketballtalk.com's (On NBCSports.com) Kurt Helin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 pm 

Benstein wrote:
Backup quarterbacks matter.
WYC? You would go crazy on any caller the past few years who was concerned about the backup QB. DO YOU THINK THAT THE COLTS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE BACKUP!?!?!?! If your qb goes down, the season is over.

Today they said that backup QB might be the most important signing of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Benstein wrote:
WYC? You would go crazy on any caller the past few years who was concerned about the backup QB. DO YOU THINK THAT THE COLTS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE BACKUP!?!?!?! If your qb goes down, the season is over.

Today they said that backup QB might be the most important signing of the season.

Well, the Colts had 3 backup QBs play for them and look what happened. The trio of Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter & Dan Orlovsky all won 2 games. Painter was released late last week, and Collins was concussed early in their disasterous season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Benstein wrote:

From the Ask Bernstein thread...

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Do you seriously believe that it's unimportant who the Bears second string quarterback is or was that just a bit to draw out the meatballs?

What if Cutler gets injured for 4 games?

Bernstein wrote:
Dr. Ken,

On the backup QB, I want Bears fans to think like Colts fans do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:33 pm 

Brett "ManSlab" Lyons & Chris "Captain Indestructo" Tannehill are producing the Monday "B & B Show" with Matt Rodewald on "Scoreboard Update" duty. Terry's "two favorite words in show biz", Laurence Holmes, is back on the night shift come 6p.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Benstein wrote:

Seriously?

That's on par with "you're the same guy who wrote about me when I did have the fire."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Nancy's
Didn't the Illini win an NCAA tourney game last year?

Why is he saying 2 seasons?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:01 pm 

SchruteFarms wrote:
Didn't the Illini win an NCAA tourney game last year?

Why is he saying 2 seasons?

Yeah, they beat UNLV if I'm not mistaken in what's technically the 2nd Round of "March Madness". That said, Illinois' basketball hasn't gone very far when they've made the NCAA Tournament lately.

By the way, more Penn State talk coming up after "The Dancing Fool"...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Wisconsin Basketball is not a better job than Illinois. Sorry Terry and Chris.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:07 pm 

Drop In wrote:
Wisconsin Basketball is not a better job than Illinois. Sorry Terry and Chris.

Probably not, but the margin is very slim.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
yeah..wisconsin is not a better job than illinois...better program now and recent years but not a better job...that is why i think illinois is a better job than michigan st...msu will suck when izzo retires.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Nancy's
Didn't Izzo replace Jud Heathcote? I think that worked pretty well for them. Saying they will be terrible is pretty foolish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I don't really know anything about college basketball, so I don't know what makes one Big Ten job "better" than another, but I feel like Wisconsin has set up what can be a nice little perennially competitive operation of THWGs that gets a pretty good deal of attention, success, and prestige, whereas U of I just sort of exists as an afterthought to its state's largest population base, who all things being equal would rather watch the Bulls. I suppose neither one is ever really in the market for marquee recruits. I'd rather live in Madison than Champaign, though, I know that much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 pm 

Also, Tim Doyle is like a gentile Max Kellerman who likes basketball and dislikes being particularly funny.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Brad Biggs pissed all over Grote on Saturday just for mentioning the backup job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Brad Biggs pissed all over Grote on Saturday just for mentioning the backup job.

BIGGS TIME'd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't really know anything about college basketball, so I don't know what makes one Big Ten job "better" than another, but I feel like Wisconsin has set up what can be a nice little perennially competitive operation of THWGs that gets a pretty good deal of attention, success, and prestige, whereas U of I just sort of exists as an afterthought to its state's largest population base, who all things being equal would rather watch the Bulls. I suppose neither one is ever really in the market for marquee recruits. I'd rather live in Madison than Champaign, though, I know that much.
The difference between Wisconsin and Illinois except the Chicago metro area is only about 1 million people different so I wouldn't say that matters so much. Illinois is still the #1 basketball school in the Chicago area. There is a reason why a show that hates college basketball like B&B still talk about Illinois basketball so often.

I also think the "would rather watch the Bulls" thing is wrong. You don't have to choose. The college basketball season is over before any meaningful NBA games are played. It's not like anyone who identifies themselves as an Illini fan is saying "Well, it's Illinois vs. Ohio State today, but I'm going to watch the Bulls-Wizards game instead because I'd rather watch the Bulls". You probably have no interest in watching the Illini but that's because you have made it pretty clear that you dislike college basketball. You don't count. It's the same reason if someone hates hockey they wouldn't count.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:37 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
The difference between Wisconsin and Illinois except the Chicago metro area is only about 1 million people different so I wouldn't say that matters so much. Illinois is still the #1 basketball school in the Chicago area. There is a reason why a show that hates college basketball like B&B still talk about Illinois basketball so often.

I also think the "would rather watch the Bulls" thing is wrong. You don't have to choose. The college basketball season is over before any meaningful NBA games are played. It's not like anyone who identifies themselves as an Illini fan is saying "Well, it's Illinois vs. Ohio State today, but I'm going to watch the Bulls-Wizards game instead because I'd rather watch the Bulls". You probably have no interest in watching the Illini but that's because you have made it pretty clear that you dislike college basketball. You don't count. It's the same reason if someone hates hockey they wouldn't count.

Everything you're saying is true, BRick. But I do think that there are pluses and minuses for a college program in a "pro city". Like you said, fans don't have to choose, but there is something to be said for being the only game in town. The Buckeyes are the Bulls or Knicks for Columbus.

But I wouldn't say that Illinois is really in competition with Bulls basketball either. Champaign is far enough away to have its own separate fan base, yet close enough to Chicago to get the benefits of that. In a way, Illinois has a best of both worlds situation which is one of the things that makes it a good job.

Madison, Wisconsin is a completely different place than Champaign or Columbus. It isn't driven by sports in the same way. Without having numbers or scientific evidence to support this, I'm pretty comfortable saying there are a higher percentage of people in Madison who have zero interest in sports.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:09 am 

Oh, sure. Madison has too much to offer to just be a college sports town. Way more arts/culture. They're practically the capital of public radio!

I've never gotten the impression that the Badgers are an all-consuming passion the way, say, the Buckeyes are. The football and basketball teams have devoted followings, sure, but I don't think there's that Legion of Wall-Eyed Townie Goobers element that most Big Ten/Big 12/ESS-EE-SEE teams have, because the Packers' statewide legion of wall-eyed goobers takes precedence over all else such that Wisconsin football is more just a warm-up for the Packers than anything. The basketball team does well enough, too, I guess.

Incidentally, Madison's a pretty good town for college hockey, but I find college hockey abhorrent, so who cares.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I've never gotten the impression that the Badgers are an all-consuming passion the way, say, the Buckeyes are.
Badger fans, at least the ones who are willing to leave the state to watch football, are significantly worse than any fan base in the Big Ten.
Curious Hair wrote:
The football and basketball teams have devoted followings, sure, but I don't think there's that Legion of Wall-Eyed Townie Goobers element that most Big Ten/Big 12/ESS-EE-SEE teams have, because the Packers' statewide legion of wall-eyed goobers takes precedence over all else such that Wisconsin football is more just a warm-up for the Packers than anything. The basketball team does well enough, too, I guess.
I don't know why you need to go down the route that one takes precedence over the other. Saturday = college. Sunday = NFL. You don't have to choose, though you'd be surprised at just how many people would choose a Badgers game over a Packers game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I've never gotten the impression that the Badgers are an all-consuming passion the way, say, the Buckeyes are.
Badger fans, at least the ones who are willing to leave the state to watch football, are significantly worse than any fan base in the Big Ten.

I always though that everybody knew that Iowa fans were the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think Ohio fans are the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 am 

Spaulding wrote:

You really dislike the Bobcats, huh?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
spanky wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

You really dislike the Bobcats, huh?

Went to school in Ohio. Ohio St fans and Ohio fans are equally insufferable bastards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
tfriz wrote:
Didn't Izzo replace Jud Heathcote? I think that worked pretty well for them. Saying they will be terrible is pretty foolish.

jud heathcote :lol: ...he was a scrub...he was in east lasnsing for 20 seasons..he was a below 500 coach if you take away his best season with fagic..illinois is a better job