It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Nobody ever said the regular season doesn't matter. I don't know where the hell that came from (Imaginary Radio perhaps), but some of you have certainly taken it and run with it. I believe Dan Bernstein's point was that it is silly to draw any major conclusions from the outcome of a single game.
He's made it perfectly clear that even with a better record that the Bulls have very little chance of beating the Heat and nothing that happens over the days, weeks, months of the season changes that. He won't go on record saying it would be impossible but he's basically indicating that the regular season doesn't matter because everyone is as good or bad as they will be and we are all just waiting until June to see the Bulls get outclassed by the "better" Heat.

It's not just some fluke shot. It's that he considers any evidence that the Bulls are better than the Heat to be a fluke that doesn't show anything. Even Luol Deng becoming an All-Star doesn't matter because in his words "it doesn't make him better at basketball" even though it's obviously an indication that he has and continues to improve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nobody ever said the regular season doesn't matter. I don't know where the hell that came from (Imaginary Radio perhaps), but some of you have certainly taken it and run with it. I believe Dan Bernstein's point was that it is silly to draw any major conclusions from the outcome of a single game.
He's made it perfectly clear that even with a better record that the Bulls have very little chance of beating the Heat and nothing that happens over the days, weeks, months of the season changes that. He won't go on record saying it would be impossible but he's basically indicating that the regular season doesn't matter because everyone is as good or bad as they will be and we are all just waiting until June to see the Bulls get outclassed by the "better" Heat.

It's not just some fluke shot. It's that he considers any evidence that the Bulls are better than the Heat to be a fluke that doesn't show anything. Even Luol Deng becoming an All-Star doesn't matter because in his words "it doesn't make him better at basketball" even though it's obviously an indication that he has and continues to improve.

Well put, BR.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
There are a few things that perturb me about Bernise that I disagree with him on. Nothing though would make me happier than to watch the Bulls or another team knock off the Heat this year. It will be my sole rooting interest. I will then never let him off the hook as he and Terry wind sock.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Correct. Would you not agree that there is a contingent of fans who celebrated last year when the Bulls swept the regular season series against Miami and viewed that as an indicator of superiority? The same thing happened last week when the Bulls beat Miami in a close game. In fact, it happened on this very board *coughIkeSouthcoughcough*.

I think all Bernstein is saying is to enjoy the regular season victories but don't necessarily use them as a barometer to measure how good the team is.

If you lose to Miami in May again, what did the regular season win in March really mean?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 am 

Correct. Would you not agree that there is a contingent of fans who celebrated last year when the Bulls swept the regular season series against Miami and viewed that as an indicator of superiority? The same thing happened last week when the Bulls beat Miami in a close game. In fact, it happened on this very board *coughIkeSouthcoughcough*.

I think all Bernstein is saying is to enjoy the regular season victories but don't necessarily use them as a barometer to measure how good the team is.

If you lose to Miami in May again, what did the regular season win in March really mean?
Doesn't this post basically say "The regular season doesn't matter"?

It's alright if you think the regular season doesn't matter, but Bernstein clearly does to the point where an improved Luol Deng doesn't even mean anything because the "Heat are still better".

It's pretty simple to me. The Heat are supposedly an improved team this year with more depth and more team chemistry with another year of experience together. If the Bulls are still able to beat them and win more games it does matter.

My guess is that if the Bulls were fighting for the 8 seed right now and weren't playing well the regular season would suddenly be important in determining the chances they had. The fact that the Bulls are holding off the superior Heat should matter too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
My take is that bernstein is simply positive the Heat are better than the Bulls. No matter what happens during this season. I'm not sure what it would take to convince him otherwise. It would have to be something radical that will never happen, like the Bulls winning every game by 20 and the Heat going under .500 the rest of the way. Barring something crazy like that, he just "knows" the Heat are a better team than the Bulls and LeBron is a better player than Rose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My take is that bernstein is simply positive the Heat are better than the Bulls. No matter what happens during this season. I'm not sure what it would take to convince him otherwise. It would have to be something radical that will never happen, like the Bulls winning every game by 20 and the Heat going under .500 the rest of the way. Barring something crazy like that, he just "knows" the Heat are a better team than the Bulls and LeBron is a better player than Rose.

I can understand why someone would think that though. How many players in the league have the ability to say, "Okay I'm gonna take over the game and there's nothing nobody can do about it." Lebron is one of those players. Bernstein is clearly afraid of Lebron in the playoffs. I don't blame him. It's probably how Knicks and Cavs fans felt about the Bulls in the 90s. It's kinda like, "Yeah we're good but they have THAT GUY." As good as Rose is, he's not THAT GUY.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
As good as Rose is, he's not THAT GUY.

'dis flatbrim is a LeBron lover!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I can understand why someone would think that though. How many players in the league have the ability to say, "Okay I'm gonna take over the game and there's nothing nobody can do about it." Lebron is one of those players. Bernstein is clearly afraid of Lebron in the playoffs. I don't blame him. It's probably how Knicks and Cavs fans felt about the Bulls in the 90s. It's kinda like, "Yeah we're good but they have THAT GUY." As good as Rose is, he's not THAT GUY.

I think Rose can be THAT guy. Neither he nor LeBron really has been to this point. Let's not forget, LeBron hasn't won a damn thing yet. bernstein wants LeBron to be great. I think some of that has to do with his distaste for Jordan. Hey, nobody in Chicago dislikes Jordan more than I do. (Except maybe Juanita.) But I can't bring myself to fantasize that LeBron is better than Michael was.

I remember when the narrative was that "you can't win a championship with a point guard as your best player". You don't hear that on B&b anymore. That's because it's moronic. And I think most people believe Rose will win a championship sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think Rose can be THAT guy. Neither he nor LeBron really has been to this point. Let's not forget, LeBron hasn't won a damn thing yet. bernstein wants LeBron to be great. I think some of that has to do with his distaste for Jordan. Hey, nobody in Chicago dislikes Jordan more than I do. (Except maybe Juanita.) But I can't bring myself to fantasize that LeBron is better than Michael was.

I agree that Bernstein has had a hardon for Lebron for a long time. Not sure if it is the Jordan dislike, but personally I've always been a Kobe guy anyway so I'm not as fanatical as Bernstein

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I remember when the narrative was that "you can't win a championship with a point guard as your best player". You don't hear that on B&b anymore. That's because it's moronic.

I agree that it's moronic. Even more moronic is the fact that it's been done before. Or did Bernstein forget how short Isiah Thomas was?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Would you not agree that there is a contingent of fans who celebrated last year when the Bulls swept the regular season series against Miami and viewed that as an indicator of superiority?

Yes, and Bernstein was among them through the Game 1 win, crowing about how depth and teamwork beats stars and individuality. It wasn't till Miami won Game 2 that he retreated into "LeBron owns us all."

And besides, it's not at all misguided to say that if one team has beaten the other every time through, what, four or five meetings they had (was it three or four in the regular season?), that that team might be the better team--or that at the very least, the compositions of these respective teams might lead to mismatches such that while Miami may be a "better" team in some hypothetical 10,000-game simulation of a regular season, the Bulls beat them head-to-head. To kind of work with your Jordan in the '90s analogy, what if the Bulls had repeatedly lost to the Knicks in the regular season? With this base of empirical evidence that the Knicks can indeed beat the Bulls--soundly, at that--who could blame this theoretical Knicks fan for boasting that they could win the playoff series, even if they weren't the ones with the best player of all time?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
I agree that Bernstein has had a hardon for Lebron for a long time.

The problem isn't that Bernstein loves LeBron. It's that he loved LeBron so desperately that he screamed at anyone who dared question his greatness. Then The Decision happened, and Bernstein admitted that the LeBron doubters were right: that he was weak-minded and cowardly and didn't care about building his own legacy. Then the Heat beat the Bulls, and LeBron was an unstoppable force of nature that no mortal man could defeat.

Basically everything Dan has ever said about LeBron James is WYC material.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:35 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
the compositions of these respective teams might lead to mismatches such that while Miami may be a "better" team in some hypothetical 10,000-game simulation of a regular season, the Bulls beat them head-to-head.

And the above is what BernSTINE falls back on, it's his "out pitch" so to speak. He has even said it straight up on the radio several times....

BernSTINE the Magnificent wrote:
Okay? I've never said the Bulls can't ever win, I mean it can happen it just isn't likely...ya know, if they catch 'em on an off night or get home court advantage...but even if they do beat the Heat in a series...the Heat probably beat them 9/10 times....watch the games because they matter even though I continue to say they don't.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
You guys better stock up on Kleenx, b/c the tears will be flowing when the Heat pound the Bulls in the playoffs again. Assuming the Bulls get that far.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
You guys better stock up on Kleenx, b/c the tears will be flowing when the Heat pound the Bulls in the playoffs again. Assuming the Bulls get that far.

The Hatchetman has created a Strawman!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
If Rose and Deng are still hampered by injuries, come playoff time, it's gonna be damn tough to even get to the Eastern Conference Finals.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
It doesn't matter which team is better. The "best" team seldom wins championships. What matterS is which team is hot & playing well going into the playoffs.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:15 am 

Scorehead wrote:
It doesn't matter which team is better. The "best" team seldom wins championships. What matterS is which team is hot & playing well going into the playoffs.

In baseball maybe. In basketball, not really.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Scorehead wrote:

And I would say the best team always wins the championship since that is everyone's goal and how we measure things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 am 

You know what deep down Bernstein hates? The Bulls are the Butler of the NBA and the Heat are the UCONN/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas/Illinois of the NBA. The Heat have more talent and are the better team and deserve to win. The Bulls have one guy who is elite, a few guys who are pretty good, and better coaching. Bernstein wishes he was a Heat fan because only rubes like teams like the Bulls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You know what deep down Bernstein hates? The Bulls are the Butler of the NBA and the Heat are the UCONN/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas/Illinois of the NBA. The Heat have more talent and are the better team and deserve to win. The Bulls have one guy who is elite, a few guys who are pretty good, and better coaching. Bernstein wishes he was a Heat fan because only rubes like teams like the Bulls.

You might be onto something there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
UCONN/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas/Illinois

ha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:10 pm 

Thanks for this post. Look at how quick they are to put the Bulls into the basketball hell category even though the team that is supposed to be responsible for such hell has yet to win a championship. Lebron James is supposed to be an unstoppable force yet he has been prevented from winning an NBA championship every year he has been in the league. Of all the arguments that I heard from them over the years this is by far the dumbest. The Bulls lost last year in the playoffs but they were not dominated. None of the Bulls players played well during the series yet the games were close. The Bulls beat them this year without last years MVP and it was dismissed as James and Wade being disinterested. They totaled 73 points during the game. Thus if they were interested they would have totaled what 100. I don't put much stock into that game but what part of that game or this season for that matter suggest that the Bulls will be dominated by the Heat when they play. The Bulls have a better record than the Heat and the one admitted difference maker on their team has missed seventeen game already. Their arguments on this are weak and it will be difficult to dismiss callers with the usual ad hominem attacks for which they reknowned for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:17 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I've never heard anyone call him "Cons" except you. I really don't like the idea of any of us having personal pet names for marginal Score talent. It would be like if I and only I started calling Mike Esposito "Muffy."

Anyway, I don't know who will host. They've really emptied out the bench this week, I guess. Maybe Hub.

Actually, CH, "Cons" is a reference to Converse sneakers from the '80s and what I refer to Connor McKnight.

That's my point. No one else says it

Quote:
As for Mike Esposito, he's known around The SCORE as "Espo".

That's my point. No one else says it

Actually Ive heard them say it a couple times kinda jokingly. Not sure if they got it from SHARK.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm 

Alright...

Nobody ever said the regular season doesn't matter. I don't know where the hell that came from (Imaginary Radio perhaps),

No he has on several occassions said and meant the words "The Regular season doesnt matter"

and LeBron is not THAT GUY. To be THAT GUY, you have to be able to take over AND FINISH the game. You cant pull that shit in the 3rd and first part of the 4th quarter then defer to Wade (or fucking Udonis Haslem)

Bernstein is right. The regular season is as close to meaningless as any of the 4 major sports.

He is also correct thinking there is a real good shot that the Heat will beat the Bulls again.

The Bulls will not be a more skilled basketball team than the Heat. If the Bulls win, it will be because the Heat fucked up or got hurt. It will be an upset. That's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:14 pm 

If the Bulls had 10 fewer wins B&B would have the full stage, with lighting and sound effects and an orchestra of callers to present their never ending negative drivel about the Bulls proper stature in the NBA. Depite their strong inference that the regular season means nothing, hence any given win is of little significance, they sure have a lot of blather and strong pronouncements when the Bulls lose. Through the years the LBJ love has been so strong that they can't see the Bulls beating him, and through the years at the end of each June they not only fail to explain why James doesn't have a ring but cling to convenient excuses that defy much of what they've said the previous six months.

I prefer to watch the games and enjoy the playoffs, laughing at what passes for basketball insight on WSCR helps pass the time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 pm 

If you called the show and said to stop breaking down the minutiae of a Bulls game and the ratings it got because the regular season doesn't matter, they would yell STOP TALKING HOCKEY! TALK MORE HOCKEY! I DON'T CARE ABOUT DESE FLATBRIMS!

just sayin'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
long time guy wrote:
Look at how quick they are to put the Bulls into the basketball hell category

I share Dan's obsession with semantics, so it really bugged me when he tweeted this a couple weeks ago. You know who's in Basketball Hell? The Atlanta Hawks. The Denver Nuggets. The Utah Jazz. I've always understood "Basketball Hell" to refer to teams too good to improve themselves through the lottery, but lacking the ceiling required to contend seriously for a title. That doesn't in any way describe the Bulls unless one is so convinced of the Heat's dominance as to think they're literally unbeatable. They were in the conference finals last year and have the league MVP. I mean, come on.