It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
I finally listened to Terry's statement. I don't know where any of you are getting the idea that his dying (at least in the foreseeable future). He talks about his future. He says that he just cannot do the job consistently and that he owes time to others (presumably family).

I think he had a scare and is sick but hardly on death's door. He sounded weaker than normal but pretty strong.

I'll reserve thoughts about his comments about his dedication to the job in his 25 years and the state of the station either for a more appropriate time or thread.

Two comments: I don't like Bernstein and do they really think they are still some fun loving, whacky show?

Crap. If this is true I need to put a stop delivery in on this.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
wdelaney72 wrote:
Beardown wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Put your Beardown conspiracy hat on for a minute and speculate on who Boers was talking about when he was naming those at the station and said you find out who your real friends are in times like this and he found out the hard way and he should've known all along

Bernstein.

Sounds weird, right? But that's who he was talking about. Boers never thought he was his friend until he got sick. Bernstein probably never acted like a friend until Boers got sick. So it makes sense.

I certainly interpreted Terry was referring to Bernstein.
I didn't take it that way at all. I thought it was praise for those he has worked with - not a shot at anyone. He preceded his comment with an emotional statement of gratitude for all of the calls and well-wishes he had received since becoming ill. I took the "finding out the hard way" comment to mean he didn't realize how many people truly cared about him until he got sick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
As much as a Cardinals-loving downstate asshat as Rongey can be, he has no intention on doing a full-on SJW show five days a week. In many ways, he's much closer to the roots of the Score's afternoon drive of the HFC or early B&B.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Please not Chris Rongey. A cookie-cutter white sports talk guy, replete with milquetoast sports takes, a healthy dose of liberal condescension, and a Syracusean vocal inflection. Rongey, Bernfield, and Z-Pack all sound the exact same to me.

Though at least he likes to laugh, and when he's been on with Dan, the shows tend to get back to their wacky, weird roots.

I don't recall Rongey ever saying anything interesting or funny. He usually just sounds like someone who doesn't like his job and would rather be doing anything besides hosting a show. I'm rooting for Leery to get the gig and for someone to make the 6-10 slot listenable to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Please not Chris Rongey. A cookie-cutter white sports talk guy, replete with milquetoast sports takes, a healthy dose of liberal condescension, and a Syracusean vocal inflection. Rongey, Bernfield, and Z-Pack all sound the exact same to me.

Though at least he likes to laugh, and when he's been on with Dan, the shows tend to get back to their wacky, weird roots.

I don't recall Rongey ever saying anything interesting or funny. He usually just sounds like someone who doesn't like his job and would rather be doing anything besides hosting a show. I'm rooting for Leery to get the gig and for someone to make the 6-10 slot listenable to me.

Agreed on both counts: Rongey seems uninterested and uninteresting, and pulling for Leery as well.

As...odd...as he can sound sometimes, Holmes is a damn good radio host, who always sounds prepared, isn't afraid to dissect and "unpack" (speaking of terms that need to die) the failures and shortcomings of various Chicago sports franchises, and will more often than not carve up a topic in a way I hadn't considered before. I think he pairs very well with Dan, and unlike Drinky, he has the intellectual horsepower to critique and disagree with Dan's dogma in a meaningful way (instead of, say, just calling him an ass).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:53 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:
I don't recall Rongey ever saying anything interesting or funny. He usually just sounds like someone who doesn't like his job and would rather be doing anything besides hosting a show.

Bernstein Tree. Senor tries to radiate this, but his attendance record speaks for itself: for someone who seems so miserable at work, the guy only takes vacation time if he can take the family to Budapest or something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Tad Queasy wrote:

Agreed on both counts: Rongey seems uninterested and uninteresting, and pulling for Leery as well.

As...odd...as he can sound sometimes, Holmes is a damn good radio host, who always sounds prepared, isn't afraid to dissect and "unpack" (speaking of terms that need to die) the failures and shortcomings of various Chicago sports franchises, and will more often than not carve up a topic in a way I hadn't considered before. I think he pairs very well with Dan, and unlike Drinky, he has the intellectual horsepower to critique and disagree with Dan's dogma in a meaningful way (instead of, say, just calling him an ass).

I agree. Regarding the "mechanics" of what it takes to me a good host I think Leery does a veary good job for the reasons you mentioned. He also actually sounds like a professional radio host, unlike Mulligan who can barely utter a sentence in which he doesn't say "um" or "uh" after every word. However, his (IMO) terrible personality ruins it for me.

I actually don't like him with Dan because I have heard him change his opinion on a dime just because Dan disagrees. Maybe he's stopped doing that, but it had been unbeerable in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
There should always be room for Leery because SCR is sorely lacking in broadcast professionals. Not that being one alone make him a good host, but he's good enough that in that cesspool his professionalism makes him stand out as a decent listen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:14 pm 

Leery is a lot better than was in his Hamp & Holmes days, and he's much better than most of the slapdicks at the Score, but put him next to Dan and he goes right back to sucking the chrome off a bumper. He does have the intelligence to disagree with Dan, which is so frustrating when he always makes sure to agree on everything.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Curious Hair wrote:
Leery is a lot better than was in his Hamp & Holmes days, and he's much better than most of the slapdicks at the Score, but put him next to Dan and he goes right back to sucking the chrome off a bumper. He does have the intelligence to disagree with Dan, which is so frustrating when he always makes sure to agree on everything.

precisely.

My vote would be for Rongey, if for no other reason than a hope that the show goes back to funny/weird.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:34 pm 

City of Fools nuked his post, but I'm relieved to hear Terry doesn't have what I thought he had, though it still doesn't sound good. I wish him all the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:41 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
Beardown wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Put your Beardown conspiracy hat on for a minute and speculate on who Boers was talking about when he was naming those at the station and said you find out who your real friends are in times like this and he found out the hard way and he should've known all along

Bernstein.

Sounds weird, right? But that's who he was talking about. Boers never thought he was his friend until he got sick. Bernstein probably never acted like a friend until Boers got sick. So it makes sense.

I certainly interpreted Terry was referring to Bernstein.
I didn't take it that way at all. I thought it was praise for those he has worked with - not a shot at anyone. He preceded his comment with an emotional statement of gratitude for all of the calls and well-wishes he had received since becoming ill. I took the "finding out the hard way" comment to mean he didn't realize how many people truly cared about him until he got sick.

same here

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:52 pm 

It wasn't a shot at Bernstein but I think it was referring to Bernstein. He said something like "I should have known all along" which to me meant that he should have known all along Bernstein was a loyal friend rather than just a co-worker.

Boers has admitted before that he doesn't let a whole lot of people in as true friends. I'm guessing it was his realization there that it was a mistake with Bernstein.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 pm 

Even for the drama queens who open mics on the Score, "I should have known all along" in reference to the person sitting across from you, one way or the other, is too melodramatic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools nuked his post, but I'm relieved to hear Terry doesn't have what I thought he had, though it still doesn't sound good. I wish him all the best.

What did COF say? What does Terry have?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Beardown wrote:
What does Terry have?

A rare genetic condition completely related to his work with TB Diddlers. And it's all because you touch yourself at night.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Lawrence sucks.

No smart thoughts, and he does not represent Chicago Fans. He is a whiny, little shrimp who sounds like a white guy, but who wants people to think he is a bad ass black dude who is also smart.

When he is on with Bernstein all he does is say shit in an attempt to get "attaboys" from 'ole dicknose.

Drinky or Mac are the only two who should be across from Bernfuck, as they are the only ones who refuse to take his minidick into their mouths.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
It's going to be Mac, part of the reason the deal wasn't reach last time was he wanted the afternoon drive, now a slot is wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:51 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
It's going to be Mac, part of the reason the deal wasn't reach last time was he wanted the afternoon drive, now a slot is wide open.

not a chance if Bernsie really calls the shots at the Score.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
City of Fools wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Bernstein should look at the trend of shitty ratings(for the shows at least, excluding what the Cubs bring in) and realize they need a jolt, a shock jock like Mac. Little Jason want to go to Northwestern, after all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It wasn't a shot at Bernstein but I think it was referring to Bernstein. He said something like "I should have known all along" which to me meant that he should have known all along Bernstein was a loyal friend rather than just a co-worker.

Boers has admitted before that he doesn't let a whole lot of people in as true friends. I'm guessing it was his realization there that it was a mistake with Bernstein.

That's the way I read it as well. Bernstein probably called a lot while Terry was out. Or maybe even visited Terry in the hospital. Probably gave him recommendations of Really. Good. Doctors. Cuz Bernstein knows Really. Good. Doctors. It touched Boers that Bernstein showed so much kindness and concern for him.

For the first time in 20 years of knowing him, Terry Boers realized that Dan Bernstein loves him. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
and then they blew each other

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:29 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That's the way I read it as well. Bernstein probably called a lot while Terry was out. Or maybe even visited Terry in the hospital. Probably gave him recommendations of Really. Good. Doctors. Cuz Bernstein knows Really. Good. Doctors. It touched Boers that Bernstein showed so much kindness and concern for him.

For the first time in 20 years of knowing him, Terry Boers realized that Dan Bernstein loves him. :cry:

I oftentimes help out people I don't really like when their backs are against the wall. Means nothing in terms of friendship. Its just humanity.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

And if Terry isn't dying than he really messed up that Good-bye. Cuz he made it sound that way. I'm sure his family and friends thought the same thing. This is one time where Terry's style of being vague and mysterious kind of back fired on him if it's not terminal.

Terry: Reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated!!!!

Beardown: But you're the one that reported it.

Terry: I know. I'm a dumb ass.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:33 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Bernstein should look at the trend of shitty ratings(for the shows at least, excluding what the Cubs bring in) and realize they need a jolt, a shock jock like Mac. Little Jason want to go to Northwestern, after all.

Mac didn't want to roll out of bed. You know how much he would want to work with Bernsie? He hates Bernsie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:08 pm 
Curious Hair wrote:

This. LoHo when he is flying solo and is just being his nerdy self is actually a good listen. When he fills in for the day shows and tries to become "serious radio" the suck button gets turned way up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:10 pm 
Beardown wrote:
What did COF say? What does Terry have?

A touch of the gay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:56 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

This. LoHo when he is flying solo and is just being his nerdy self is actually a good listen. When he fills in for the day shows and tries to become "serious radio" the suck button gets turned way up.

The thing is, Bernstein actually despises suckups. He gives no daps for such brown-nosery, yet I believe he fully expects it.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:24 pm 

So much of Boers & Bernstein was about subverting the talk-radio trope of "one guy thinks X and the other thinks Y" that now no co-host of Dan's can have any serious dissent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Maciano's
I think WYC goes away fully when Terry retires.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next