It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
It's not just for sports. I argue that Stern really lost himself going over to satellite because he no longer had the random listener calling in outraged, or the nut with odd thought or just people who disagreed with him and kept him honest. Now he has people who pay to listen calling in, who will generally fawn over his work. He can't create new wack packers because those people aren't paying for satellite radio. He's stuck trying to make personalities out of Bobo and Maryanne.

Score hosts will pretend its about the quality of the show. The truth is, they hate/are frightened by their public. The reason Scoreheads formed was because hosts like North and McNeil embraced their listeners. Some of you might not remember the absolute loyalty to the station that was present in the mid 90s. Sun up to sun down Score. You think there is anything close to that now, even among traditional radio listeners.

Go ahead and have a guest dominated show, where we hear a blogger followed by a podcaster and watch the audience fade.

It's really just the current fetishization of "expertise" transferred to what is supposed to be sports talk entertainment. Yeah, Brick is right that no caller is going to dial in with a great suggestion to fix the Bears offense but no guest is doing that and Danny Parkins certainly isn't either. At least a good caller provides a few laughs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:41 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It's not just for sports. I argue that Stern really lost himself going over to satellite because he no longer had the random listener calling in outraged, or the nut with odd thought or just people who disagreed with him and kept him honest. Now he has people who pay to listen calling in, who will generally fawn over his work. He can't create new wack packers because those people aren't paying for satellite radio. He's stuck trying to make personalities out of Bobo and Maryanne.

Score hosts will pretend its about the quality of the show. The truth is, they hate/are frightened by their public. The reason Scoreheads formed was because hosts like North and McNeil embraced their listeners. Some of you might not remember the absolute loyalty to the station that was present in the mid 90s. Sun up to sun down Score. You think there is anything close to that now, even among traditional radio listeners.

Go ahead and have a guest dominated show, where we hear a blogger followed by a podcaster and watch the audience fade.

It's really just the current fetishization of "expertise" transferred to what is supposed to be sports talk entertainment. Yeah, Brick is right that no caller is going to dial in with a great suggestion to fix the Bears offense but no guest is doing that and Danny Parkins certainly isn't either. At least a good caller provides a few laughs.

I'm not looking for my sports host to break down the analytics of the game. Personally, I want to unwind, joke, and casually talk about my favorite sports teams.

The afternoon saloon was the perfect name, style for a sports show and the ratings skyrocketed. Sports are suppose to be fun and lighthearted entertainment. Waddle and Silvy touch on this theme, but have been in the game too long and come off as tired and rehearsed.

Score had a chance to bring some new blood and went with the boring safe hire with Spiegs. So we get more of the same analytical hosts and their ratings will keep falling until nothing is left but SJW AM radio talk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Juiced wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Fans talking to fans.

It's almost as if we've heard that someplace before...

I'm not looking for my sports host to break down the analytics of the game. Personally, I want to unwind, joke, and casually talk about my favorite sports teams.

The afternoon saloon was the perfect name, style for a sports show and the ratings skyrocketed. Sports are suppose to be fun and lighthearted entertainment. Waddle and Silvy touch on this theme, but have been in the game too long and come off as tired and rehearsed.

Score had a chance to bring some new blood and went with the boring safe hire with Spiegs. So we get more of the same analytical hosts and their ratings will keep falling until nothing is left but SJW AM radio talk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:42 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

and I really respect the true experts out there that they have on as guests. I used to love the "around the league" type segments HFC would have on Mondays with a local reporter from out of town. I'd be completely on board on Fridays if they had some local experts talking about the big college game the next day, rather than hearing who Parkins likes in a bet.

You are correct that sports radio is just entertainment. That is lost. I can go to many outlets to hear a host interview a guy from The Athletic or a podcaster. Make me laugh, funny man!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:46 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

and I really respect the true experts out there that they have on as guests. I used to love the "around the league" type segments HFC would have on Mondays with a local reporter from out of town. I'd be completely on board on Fridays if they had some local experts talking about the big college game the next day, rather than hearing who Parkins likes in a bet.

You are correct that sports radio is just entertainment. That is lost. I can go to many outlets to hear a host interview a guy from The Athletic or a podcaster. Make me laugh, funny man!

When this message board has operated at its best (admittedly, that hasn't been for a little while now) the content would be a model for a good sports radio show.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
good dolphin wrote:
You are correct that sports radio is just entertainment. That is lost.

THIS. over and over again THIS.

Funny....it's not complicated, but there was a point where being funny and entertaining was beneath the hosts.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Funny....it's not complicated, but there was a point where being funny and entertaining was beneath the hosts.

I think to some degree it's just human nature at play.

Mike North was great at being the voice of the fan, because he was the fan. At that time no one would have used the slur "meatball". Everyone listening was a meatball. The hosts were meatballs. But North mistakenly thought he had more to offer than just being what he was and it was his downfall. Nobody was interested in hearing his borderline racist political thoughts even though a good chunk of his audience might have agreed with them.

Same thing with bernstein. Though the thing driving him may have been slightly different than it was for North. Whether he would admit it or not, bernstein quite obviously feels disappointed in himself that he is not one of the experts he so reveres whether in the field of law, politics, or whatever. Whereas North is just the average dope, bernstein knows he could have achieved more than being a shock jock, so his forays into Very Serious Radio are his way of coping with his feelings regarding his failure to do so.

The reason Mac is so beloved by the listeners and in this forum is because he is the one guy who never tries to be anything but exactly what he is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:47 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Mike North was great at being the voice of the fan, because he was the fan. At that time no one would have used the slur "meatball". Everyone listening was a meatball. The hosts were meatballs. But North mistakenly thought he had more to offer than just being what he was and it was his downfall. Nobody was interested in hearing his borderline racist political thoughts even though a good chunk of his audience might have agreed with them.

Same thing with bernstein. Though the thing driving him may have been slightly different than it was for North. Whether he would admit it or not, bernstein quite obviously feels disappointed in himself that he is not one of the experts he so reveres whether in the field of law, politics, or whatever. Whereas North is just the average dope, bernstein knows he could have achieved more than being a shock jock, so his forays into Very Serious Radio are his way of coping with his feelings regarding his failure to do so.

The reason Mac is so beloved by the listeners and in this forum is because he is the one guy who never tries to be anything but exactly what he is.

Agree 100%.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

North was hustler. He was always looking out for his next hustle, whether it was taking a commission from sales staff or getting jobs for his family like a mini ward boss. He saw what right wing radio guys were making, who were in some ways less talented than him, and he thought he could scam his piece of that pie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

North was hustler. He was always looking out for his next hustle, whether it was taking a commission from sales staff or getting jobs for his family like a mini ward boss. He saw what right wing radio guys were making, who were in some ways less talented than him, and he thought he could scam his piece of that pie.

I think that's right. But his right wing stuff didn't come off as genuine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
good dolphin wrote:

It also depends how you want to be entertained. It's quite obvious from reading through these threads that people are entertained in different ways and therefore have different preferences in what they hear on a sports talk radio show. I don't begrudge a fella if he prefers meatball, caller-driven shows but I am definitely not listening to that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It also depends how you want to be entertained. It's quite obvious from reading through these threads that people are entertained in different ways and therefore have different preferences in what they hear on a sports talk radio show. I don't begrudge a fella if he prefers meatball, caller-driven shows but I am definitely not listening to that.

Sure, there's an audience for Very Serious Sports Radio, but we can all see that it's not really very large.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He might have been successful in doing so....he just did it on the wrong station.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm 

DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You keep falling back on the same assumption that a host and the people they have as guests are providing some kind of superior intelligence.

Again, they are callers with a little more polish because of a Communications degree.

I don't mind host driven shows at some points. I think that works particularly well in the first half of the morning drive.

I don't like it as the character of a station. There is nothing more mind numbing than when CBS national radio is on the Score for a slot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:49 pm 

you guys worry a lot about meaningless careers. the score is a just a bunch of idiots giving a massive amount of idiots something to listen to. theyre not charging the mass idiots anything, so the idiot hosts arent going to get much in return.. but at least they dont have to do real work and thats the real reason all of those guys do that job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:53 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
you guys worry a lot about meaningless careers. the score is a just a bunch of idiots giving a massive amount of idiots something to listen to. theyre not charging the mass idiots anything, so the idiot hosts arent going to get much in return.. but at least they dont have to do real work and thats the real reason all of those guys do that job.

yes, Ike. The problem is.....it used to be fun. Now it's just....news. The entertainment factor is gone and it used to make my drive or workday enjoyable.

I don't need vintage Mac or Boers or Norm Van Lier....I just want the hosts to be entertaining and try having a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It started with the baseball steroid debate. I believe it was Dan Patrick that was talking about it everyday. Previously his show was light and fun.

The Score’s end of fun started with Penn State and continued with concussion talk. Stop cheering for and defending college sports, and you’re a child hater if you let your kid play football. Then the SJW stuff took over with Covid “look at red states playing football” right behind it.

All of those things were worthy of discussion. But they changed the tone of 670 from a fun and easy listen to a political grind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 pm 

denisdman wrote:
It started with the baseball steroid debate. I believe it was Dan Patrick that was talking about it everyday. Previously his show was light and fun.

The Score’s end of fun started with Penn State and continued with concussion talk. Stop cheering for and defending college sports, and you’re a child hater if you let your kid play football. Then the SJW stuff took over with Covid “look at red states playing football” right behind it.

All of those things were worthy of discussion. But they changed the tone of 670 from a fun and easy listen to a political grind.

The Mike North Morning Show helped put the station onto the skids as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:10 pm 

I was never a North fan. But we used to laugh at how bad that morning cast was at the end.

I loved Boers and Mac. It’s hard to believe that a guy like Bernstein was able to transform the station with his brand of radio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:19 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The Mike North Morning Show helped put the station onto the skids as well.

I think that was the beginning of the end....and that launched September of 1999...well before the steroid grandstanding. There were still a good number of shows that were fun, but yeah....woof. That was the first strike.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:29 pm 

The beginning of the end was North breaking up the Monsters and the HFC.

Edit: What W said.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:31 pm 

I don’t think that crappy program changed the tone of the station. It was still goofy and offbeat. The needless shuffling of the line up never made sense. I think North is just one of those guys whose act wears thin. That was probably inevitable especially as his ego grew.

But Boers bowing to Bernsie and getting lazy is a much worse crime. Boers was funny and talented. And Murph had his place in that line up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:32 pm 

By the time serious radio took over, Terry was checked out. Then he got sick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
I don’t think that crappy program changed the tone of the station. It was still goofy and offbeat. The needless shuffling of the line up never made sense. I think North is just one of those guys whose act wears thin. That was probably inevitable especially as his ego grew.

But Boers bowing to Bernsie and getting lazy is a much worse crime. Boers was funny and talented. And Murph had his place in that line up.

North wanted to be a national star. He was perfect as a local sports guy. I think he rightly saw that conservative was the way to go if you want to be a national radio star, but his political thoughts were too shallow to carry a show.

He went from gambling expert to meatball sports fan to political analyst to investment analyst as themes for his show. He's now back to gambling talk one a week.

The highlight of the Mike North morning show was Ozzie calling in and repeatedly swearing on the air.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Or the time Mitch tried to add Abbatacola to the show to save it but Fred successfully big-timed him back to producing Boers and Bernstein. "Mmmm, bad fit!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:15 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Or the time Mitch tried to add Abbatacola to the show to save it but Fred successfully big-timed him back to producing Boers and Bernstein. "Mmmm, bad fit!"

I don't remember that. The show was really strange. They seemed to be going for some Howard Stern dynamic. Bring in a news lady. Have a sidekick named Fred. It was the first Score show that I remember actively avoiding. His career since has been totally embarrassing. If McNeil wasn't around I doubt they would have even brought North back for the anniversary shows. Now that he's gone the station will act like they never were on the air.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:42 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I don't remember that. The show was really strange. They seemed to be going for some Howard Stern dynamic. Bring in a news lady. Have a sidekick named Fred. It was the first Score show that I remember actively avoiding. His career since has been totally embarrassing. If McNeil wasn't around I doubt they would have even brought North back for the anniversary shows. Now that he's gone the station will act like they never were on the air.

The big push for Drinky was the first real board/station storyline when I came here, late fall '06. Anne Maxfield was struggling as a contributor to the North show, so Mitch restricted her to only doing the newscasts and brought Drinky, then the darling of the CSFMB, up from afternoons to be a third banana. Everyone here was pushing for him to save the morning show, but then it didn't work out and Anne was "let back out of her cage" after a week or two. From everyone on the afternoon show taking turns saying "mmm, bad fit!", we can assume that Fred had something to do with why Drinky was a, well, bad fit.

Anne would quit the show and they promoted Jen Patterson to read the news. Fred got moved to doing afternoon updates after North left, and he was coolly received until he got fired too. Around that time, Mitch tried to manufacture a morning-show-in-waiting out of Drinky, Leery, and Zach Zaidman, but they were all a bad fit and after a month, the station just went back to Steve Rosenbloom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
good dolphin wrote:
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You keep falling back on the same assumption that a host and the people they have as guests are providing some kind of superior intelligence.

Again, they are callers with a little more polish because of a Communications degree.

It's not an assumption, the hosts I prefer and their guests are providing superior sports talk than the average caller.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Shes not very good. Its still a must turn off show. Rather listen to the Herd during this slot and thats bad cuz its all hot take nfl nba bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Soup Kitchen
Nicklin3011 wrote:
Shes not very good. Its still a must turn off show. Rather listen to the Herd during this slot and thats bad cuz its all hot take nfl nba bullshit.

I agree. I'm rooting for her because I like most women in sports media not named Sarah Spain or Dicaro but Leila just feels handcuffed. Not her problem, Bernstein is a hanger-on at this point but she was much better when she could flex her chops with the gay Holmes or the nerd Parkins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next