It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Any normal person says, when referencing their college days, "When I was in college..." or "In college...", but Dan had to say "When I was at Duke..." or "At Duke..." to make sure everyone knew where he went.

That's typically the purview of guys who attended Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. I mean, I know Duke is considered a top school, but when a guy says he went there, my first thought is, "Oh, you couldn't get into Harvard or Yale." I put Michigan in the same category. When a Jewish guy attended Michigan I know he couldn't cut it in the Ivies.

Incidentally, I have a business associate who went to Harvard. He'll let you know about it too, but he's far prouder that he went to Phillips Andover. I don't think I've ever had a conversation with the guy where he didn't mention Andover.

Reminds me of the one time I met Mike North. We were at the annual banquet of the Chicago Sports Hall of Fame and he was one of the inductees. My firm had bought a table and had early access to mingle with the guests. During the cocktail hour, we started chatting and he asked me what school I had gone to. I said U of I; after a puzzled look, he responded, "no, I meant which high school."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:03 pm 

RFDC wrote:
You are looking at it thru modern eyes. For that time period it is pretty perfect

Yeah that was right at the end of what I remember being called the Kool Aid art period.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:16 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I remember when I went to the University of Chicago Business School, it wasn't called Booth back then...ahem...I would often go to Bandera for lunch....ahem.

I just thought it would be important to the story for you to know my proximity to Bandera at the time.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Any normal person says, when referencing their college days, "When I was in college..." or "In college...", but Dan had to say "When I was at Duke..." or "At Duke..." to make sure everyone knew where he went.

That's typically the purview of guys who attended Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. I mean, I know Duke is considered a top school, but when a guy says he went there, my first thought is, "Oh, you couldn't get into Harvard or Yale." I put Michigan in the same category. When a Jewish guy attended Michigan I know he couldn't cut it in the Ivies.

Incidentally, I have a business associate who went to Harvard. He'll let you know about it too, but he's far prouder that he went to Phillips Andover. I don't think I've ever had a conversation with the guy where he didn't mention Andover.

Reminds me of the one time I met Mike North. We were at the annual banquet of the Chicago Sports Hall of Fame and he was one of the inductees. My firm had bought a table and had early access to mingle with the guests. During the cocktail hour, we started chatting and he asked me what school I had gone to. I said U of I; after a puzzled look, he responded, "no, I meant which high school."

:lol: Yeah, that's kind of a Chicago thing. If I were anywhere in the world including the Chicago suburbs and I was asked that question, I'd say U of I like you did. But if I'm in the City, I'd say Gordon Tech.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

:lol: Yeah, that's kind of a Chicago thing. If I were anywhere in the world including the Chicago suburbs and I was asked that question, I'd say U of I like you did. But if I'm in the City, I'd say Gordon Tech.

I had a similar experience concerning the suburbs/city dichotomy. It's fairly common to have a conversation with someone from another suburb about where they went to high school. However, when I tried to have that same conversation with someone from McKinley Park, I was told it didn't make any sense in the context of the city, and that I should be asking someone for their parish and not their high school.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

:lol: Same here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Fortune's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

ND grads fall into this category. Some guy the other day managed to work it into our conversation. Responding to the claim that it doesn't matter what college you go to once you start the first day of work, he said, "That is exactly what they told us on the first day of college at my little Catholic school in north-central Indiana." Then someone (who knew him better than me) asked him if he went to St, Marys College and he got all pissed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:58 pm 

GC Alexander wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

ND grads fall into this category. Some guy the other day managed to work it into our conversation. Responding to the claim that it doesn't matter what college you go to once you start the first day of work, he said, "That is exactly what they told us on the first day of college at my little Catholic school in north-central Indiana." Then someone (who knew him better than me) asked him if he went to St, Marys College and he got all pissed.

If I'm around a group heavily comprised of HBCU graduates, it's pretty much the only time I'll refer to my college.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Danny will retweet a bunch of insane politics, but not a simple thank you for to our serviceman and woman, those lost on 9/11.

Its a trend with the far left. Why I always say I am a Bill Maher, John Stewart type of left. Maher is smug, but freaking John Stewart has done more for 9/11 responders than almost anyone. Guy is a good man.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The only school graduates outside the military academies that wear school rings are ND grads. It’s cool when the academy guys do it, but ring knocking domers come across as pretentious douchebags.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
GC Alexander wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

If I'm around a group heavily comprised of HBCU graduates, it's pretty much the only time I'll refer to my college.

Well, you went to the Yale of HBCUs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Most of the Big Ten schools are for kids from the Northeast who couldn't make it into private schools. Michigan and Wisconsin, definitely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am 

cookie23 wrote:
Danny will retweet a bunch of insane politics, but not a simple thank you for to our serviceman and woman, those lost on 9/11.

Its a trend with the far left. Why I always say I am a Bill Maher, John Stewart type of left. Maher is smug, but freaking John Stewart has done more for 9/11 responders than almost anyone. Guy is a good man.

The more left leaning stations seemed to have to work in the aftermath of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan into the 9/11 tributes this weekend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
This was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
A heck of a sentence:

Dan Bernstein wrote:
The Bears told us pointedly how they held the six-game losing streak last year in high esteem when evaluating Nagy and the cipher that is general manager Ryan Pace, and we're still here with them in their hallucinogenic football funhouse, where the silly mirrors turn ugly truths into another week's exquisite combination of learned helplessness and absurd masochism.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:
A heck of a sentence:

Dan Bernstein wrote:
The Bears told us pointedly how they held the six-game losing streak last year in high esteem when evaluating Nagy and the cipher that is general manager Ryan Pace, and we're still here with them in their hallucinogenic football funhouse, where the silly mirrors turn ugly truths into another week's exquisite combination of learned helplessness and absurd masochism.

What an asshat. :lol: Ugly truths?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:44 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
A heck of a sentence:

Dan Bernstein wrote:

Then there was the time Senor said that Phil Emery poisoned the roster and Ryan Pace can't stop the bleeding. Fuckin' Blue Devil Jesse Rogers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Jaw Breaker wrote:
A heck of a sentence:

Dan Bernstein wrote:

Bears ownership is full of shit as it relates to their previous stance regarding Nagy and Pace.

Can I be señor editor now?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:02 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Jaw Breaker wrote:
A heck of a sentence:

Dan Bernstein wrote:

Belly up to the word salad bar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Why is Dan using his kid on twitter for more virtue signaling? Its embarrassing. The key chain thing was as factual as Jessie Schmollet.

Now he posts a pic of his sons hockey team and one kid is wearing a mask.

Reminds me of Howard Stern parents who made Howard say in the ghetto neighborhood for own liberal policies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Does that surprise you? This is the same guy who said his kid was shivering under his blanket when Trump was elected.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
REAL SERIOIS RADIO today as Dan tries to cancel Rocky and the Blackhawks yet again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
GC Alexander wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

This whole exchange of HS and colleges :lol: :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
i recall fondly my days of not attending class at Western Illinois University

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
BigW72 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
GC Alexander wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I'm far more proud of the grade school I went to. Very few got out of there.

My brother's class of 13. 12 ended up in jail at one point except him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I am not sure I am proud that my grad degree is from NIU, but it sure was funny seeing guys in Kellogg sweatshirts crying in between testing sessions for the CFA exams. I walked out of all three knowing I passed easily.

One fucker asked me if I studied (always a sign that the questioner did not), and I said “yes, every day for the last six months.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:15 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
GC Alexander wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm far more proud of the grade school I went to. Very few got out of there.

My brother's class of 13. 12 ended up in jail at one point except him.

Well if you didn't end up in at least a lockup, you weren't living. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:19 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Well if you didn't end up in at least a lockup, you weren't living. :)

We did a class trip to the County Jail.

They gave a tour of the drunk tank cell. We all got to walk in. The smell was horrible and then they apologized that they had forgotten someone was in there last night and they hadn't cleaned it yet.

In hindsight, you'd like to think it was meant as a precautionary tale. It wasn't. It was just a free field trip. Here's what you have to look forward to. Could have toured the local Community College. Didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
No prowling the halls of IVCC for you eh? Can’t say I’ve ever toured county out here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:56 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
No prowling the halls of IVCC for you eh? Can’t say I’ve ever toured county out here.

Harvard on the Hill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next