It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I just don't see how posting (possibly, I can't find 2014 data) their worst, by far, February book in the last 5 years, one which is 42% worse than their rating at this point last year, cannot be at least somewhat indicative of a problem with the content, if not the talent themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Bears resign some safety and it is white safety joke time. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
You can't spin those ratings into anything good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 pm 

They are .1 from falling behind awful WLS. That's low

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb005

Even if you work at 670 you cannot put a positive spin on that at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:23 pm 

I sent the fuckers a text about their ratings and drew an angry response that included such fake news as "there are no February ratings." They mad over there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:28 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I just don't see how posting (possibly, I can't find 2014 data) their worst, by far, February book in the last 5 years, one which is 42% worse than their rating at this point last year, cannot be at least somewhat indicative of a problem with the content, if not the talent themselves.

It's very much a problem, don't get me wrong, but it's one that the Score is already papering over at great expense. I think trying to do Deadspin On The Air in afternoon drive for a not-particularly-young demographic is not a savvy move. If, for some reason, Chicagoland collectively decides it doesn't want to listen to Cubs games on the radio anymore, they'll be up shit creek. But until then, they're managing the decline about as gracefully as they can.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm 

I hope the money guys behind that rumored 3rd sports talker are paying attention to the ratings.

People appear to be growing tired of The Score's SJW antics, and likewise those needs aren't being met by WMVP. A beer-swilling, boobs-loving (and -saying), "we"-saying, hockey-talking, Barstool-guest-having, publicly-educated, caller-respecting romp from 6a-6p somewhere on the dial in this town might not be a horrible investment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Wait for the breakdown by times.
I bet Mully's show is the only one that beats ESPN. Bernstein's shitfest was behind W&S before and I'm sure the gap is bigger now.

BTW, Goff is the dumbest fucking person on radio, period.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 pm 

I don't think Jason is stupid, but more and more he seems to get himself into situations where he sounds stupid. Which is fine, so do I.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sorry, he is a dumb fuck and bad at radio. Do you truly think he would be on the air if not for EEOC?

Score is doomed wrote:
Wait for the breakdown by times.
I bet Mully's show is the only one that beats ESPN. Bernstein's shitfest was behind W&S before and I'm sure the gap is bigger now.

BTW, Goff is the dumbest fucking person on radio, period.

I haven't seen those published in a while. Feder used to print them, but that was before he got Tronc'ed

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Really the Cubs flagship should be breaking all sorts of records after the nightmare that transpired last November, so the fact that they're down should be worrisome. Not so much to WSCR, they could not care less about listeners, but the Cubs may start taking notice. You think the whitest fanbase in professional sports wants to hear this shit? You think the Trump-loving Ricketts care for it?

CH is right, as long as the Cubs are around it is impossible for WSCR to fail, but baked into that dynamic is a qualifier: "as long as the Cubs are around.'' WSCR needs the Cubs approximately 10 billion times more than the Cubs needs WSCR, and if it gets Ricketts desk that the afternoon hosts on the flagship are pissing off fans he can demand lineup changes unilaterally and the station is almost compelled to oblige. Question is when/if that ever happens, it would probably take a massive fuckup which I dont see Dan making. Jason OTOH...it feels like a matter of time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 pm 

I hope that after today, somebody involved with the afternoon show raises their hand during a production meeting and wonders aloud if multiple segments daily of national NBA talk is really moving the meters with local listeners like they had previously hoped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 pm 

America wrote:
Really the Cubs flagship should be breaking all sorts of records after the nightmare that transpired last November, so the fact that they're down should be worrisome. Not so much to WSCR, they could not care less about listeners, but the Cubs may start taking notice. You think the whitest fanbase in professional sports wants to hear this shit? You think the Trump-loving Ricketts care for it?

CH is right, as long as the Cubs are around it is impossible for WSCR to fail, but baked into that dynamic is a qualifier: "as long as the Cubs are around.'' WSCR needs the Cubs approximately 10 billion times more than the Cubs needs WSCR, and if it gets Ricketts desk that the afternoon hosts on the flagship are pissing off fans he can demand lineup changes unilaterally and the station is almost compelled to oblige. Question is when/if that ever happens, it would probably take a massive fuckup which I dont see Dan making. Jason OTOH...it feels like a matter of time.

I think Ricketts might thoroughly enjoy having his joint copped daily from 1-6p.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 pm 

I dont know what joint copped means.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm 

America wrote:

This is something I hadn't even thought of. They should have more listeners than in previous winters as you would think Cub fans who never listened to it before would sample the shows and stick around. That's at least what had to have been hoped for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:47 pm 

America wrote:
I dont know what joint copped means.

Wiesel greased, knob schlobbed, brass polished...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm 

There has to be a reason WGN let the CUbs go. Unless the Score is the CBS market loss leader they can profit can they simply ignoring the rest of the day?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm 

I hope that after today, somebody involved with the afternoon show raises their hand during a production meeting and wonders aloud if multiple segments daily of national NBA talk is really moving the meters with local listeners like they had previously hoped.

They spent twenty minutes talking to a guy from Indiana about how problematic hiring Steve Alford would be. I know Chicago is a Big Ten melting pot, but man did that ever feel indulgent.

America wrote:

The Rickettses seem to like spending money on media outlets, presumably to get the word out that America will be made great again. They just bought the Gothamist network, for instance. Of course a blog network would sell for couch change compared to AM radio, or so we'd like to think, but they could buy 720, and then what.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:54 pm 

pittmike wrote:
There has to be a reason WGN let the CUbs go. Unless the Score is the CBS market loss leader they can profit can they simply ignoring the rest of the day?

From what I remember, WGN made a fair offer for the rights, but couldn't compete with the "brand synergy" CBS offered, by which I mean the transformation of Wrigley Field into a near-full-time concert venue as promoted by B96, US99, and XRT. And sure enough, more concerts than ever on the calendar at Wrigley this year. It's gonna be Bro Ravinia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:55 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

They spent twenty minutes talking to a guy from Indiana about how problematic hiring Steve Alford would be. I know Chicago is a Big Ten melting pot, but man did that ever feel indulgent.

America wrote:

The Rickettses seem to like spending money on media outlets, presumably to get the word out that America will be made great again. They just bought the Gothamist network, for instance. Of course a blog network would sell for couch change compared to AM radio, or so we'd like to think, but they could buy 720, and then what.

It's the worst kept secret that they will be launching their own RSN once the CSN deal expires. (whether that will work in today's cable environment and after the Dodger's disaster is anyone's bet) but it doesn't seem farfetched they would buy a radio station as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

From what I remember, WGN made a fair offer for the rights, but couldn't compete with the "brand synergy" CBS offered, by which I mean the transformation of Wrigley Field into a near-full-time concert venue as promoted by B96, US99, and XRT. And sure enough, more concerts than ever on the calendar at Wrigley this year. It's gonna be Bro Ravinia.

How is that affected by CBS selling/spinning off its radio properties? Asking because I dont know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I'd like to know their reasoning for so much basketball talk (pre-Tournament, as well) when the Bulls are God-awful. For whom are they programming this show? The Community? Rich White Basketball Enthusiasts like Rudy? For a show that has producers, a former exec. producer doing updates, and has a host who also a producer, they don't seem adept at tuning programming to resonate with listeners...besides calling them racists.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 pm 

America wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How is that affected by CBS selling/spinning off its radio properties? Asking because I dont know.

Owning the rights to broadcast Cubs games in their home market just as they enter a phase where they will likely contend for multiple championships wouldn't exactly hurt a valuation, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I'd like to know their reasoning for so much basketball talk (pre-Tournament, as well) when the Bulls are God-awful. For whom are they programming this show? The Community? Rich White Basketball Enthusiasts like Rudy? For a show that has producers, a former exec. producer doing updates, and has a host who also a producer, they don't seem adept at tuning programming to resonate with listeners...besides calling them racists.

Because they CAN'T talk hockey. They do not watch it nor care to learn how to discuss it. Furthermore they are saber geeks so as to not have to watch out of market baseball. Lazy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm 

Basketball is their comfort zone, obviously. It was like that with Terry, too, but Terry could still talk baseball with the best of 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The ratings are lousy but should be much worse, you guys gotta stop listening n bitching about how terrible the content and is..stop listening, they will launch that genius Goff and that pussy Bernstein in a year or so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Basketball is their comfort zone, obviously. It was like that with Terry, too, but Terry could still talk baseball with the best of 'em.

Yes, and it is true that they are at their best when talking basketball, but while I can appreciate their knowledge, it's a sports talk show aimed (hopefully) at as large a local audience as possible, not a show on the Sirius NBA channel. Programming a show so, selfishly I suppose, belies an ignorance I wouldn't expect from two people who have been in the business as long as they have.

There's got to be someone involved in the production at that show calling for less NBA stuff, but maybe not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
312player wrote:
The ratings are lousy but should be much worse, you guys gotta stop listening n bitching about how terrible the content and is..stop listening, they will launch that genius Goff and that pussy Bernstein in a year or so.

312, if they allowed you to launch one Score personality, who would you choose? Guessing JDC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:15 pm 

America wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Owning the rights to broadcast Cubs games in their home market just as they enter a phase where they will likely contend for multiple championships wouldn't exactly hurt a valuation, I think.

Right but if a big part of the Cubs rationale for choosing WSCR was the the CBS radio family what then happens when the CBS radio family start to splinter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next