It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 am 

RFDC wrote:
I have never understood the line of thinking that says since he did not go national he wasted his talent. Dude was the drive time host for 10+ yrs in one of the biggest markets in the country. He has had a huge impact on the city that he calls home. Love him or hate him he is a success story

Exactly. He got bored with sports radio but he also didn't have to do what Mike Greenburg had to do and basically become an actor playing a part.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
RFDC wrote:
I have never understood the line of thinking that says since he did not go national he wasted his talent. Dude was the drive time host for 10+ yrs in one of the biggest markets in the country. He has had a huge impact on the city that he calls home. Love him or hate him he is a success story

Is he? He's not a doctor, lawyer or business executive.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 am 

tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The had his tryout on national radio and it went nowhere.

The truth of the B and B show is that anytime they were faced with legitimate competition, they lost the timeslot. They were never the highest rated show at their station. They regularly lost listenership from their lead in show. Afternoon drive succeeded (if you call it that) because of the momentum of THE SCORE, not because of B and B. I've always considered drive time to be woefully underproductive considering their competition and the history of other shows in that time slot.

Dan Bernstein has some skill but he is niche programming. Always has been and always will be.

It's ridiculous to equate him with Greenberg. Greenberg is a handsome guy (no homo) and while I do think he has decent intelligence, he is on TV because he looks the part of a tv anchor. Putting looks aside, they are basically the same age. Greenberg was one or more steps ahead of Bernstein in his career at every single annual "landmark" of age from the very beginning.

Dan has had a great career. 99% of the radio world, not just sports entertainers, would give their left arm for his resume and salary. Let's not romanticize him. He is not a ratings grabber and his time being the FOTS has damaged the Score brand both in terms of character and ratings.

Bernstein is ten times as witty (on the air) as Greenie.

Wonderful. So what? That doesn't dispute a single thing I wrote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The truth of the B and B show is that anytime they were faced with legitimate competition, they lost the timeslot. They were never the highest rated show at their station. They regularly lost listenership from their lead in show. Afternoon drive succeeded (if you call it that) because of the momentum of THE SCORE, not because of B and B. I've always considered drive time to be woefully underproductive considering their competition and the history of other shows in that time slot.

Dan Bernstein has some skill but he is niche programming. Always has been and always will be.

It's ridiculous to equate him with Greenberg. Greenberg is a handsome guy (no homo) and while I do think he has decent intelligence, he is on TV because he looks the part of a tv anchor. Putting looks aside, they are basically the same age. Greenberg was one or more steps ahead of Bernstein in his career at every single annual "landmark" of age from the very beginning.

Dan has had a great career. 99% of the radio world, not just sports entertainers, would give their left arm for his resume and salary. Let's not romanticize him. He is not a ratings grabber and his time being the FOTS has damaged the Score brand both in terms of character and ratings.

Whoa, easy there, Grand CFMB Poobah. I wasn't disagreeing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:

That's not fair. B&B were incredibly successful at WSCR. There is a reason they ran for so long and got the promotion to afternoon drive and stuck around until Terry retired. The ratings were good enough to keep them going and just like Letterman vs. Leno, they didn't tell the whole story. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if B&B generated more revenue than everything but peak MJH given the long standing sponsor relationships that existed all at a price for the whole show that probably didn't equal what Mike North was getting by himself.

Greenberg was an actor. He played a part on ESPN national. He was about as generic and boring as you can possibly be and for some reason people, mostly in smaller towns with terrible sports radio ate it up. There is a reason that Mike and Mike had absymal ratings in just about every huge city.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 am 

tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Whoa, easy there, Grand CFMB Poobah. I wasn't disagreeing.

I get passionate about the subject sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
bernstein swung for the national fences i believe with the penn st stuff and absolutely whiffed. noone talked about the hard hitting chicago sports talk show that was breaking stories, having the hard hitting interviews, etc etc.

i think its possible he get a few more AB's through his career but like someone has already said i think he's too vocal on social issues to garner a wide viewership.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's not fair. B&B were incredibly successful at WSCR. There is a reason they ran for so long and got the promotion to afternoon drive and stuck around until Terry retired. The ratings were good enough to keep them going and just like Letterman vs. Leno, they didn't tell the whole story. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if B&B generated more revenue than everything but peak MJH given the long standing sponsor relationships that existed all at a price for the whole show that probably didn't equal what Mike North was getting by himself.

Nope. If you're going to go that avenue then it's Mully and Hanley who have been ratings and money winners for 670.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Greenberg was an actor. He played a part on ESPN national. He was about as generic and boring as you can possibly be and for some reason people, mostly in smaller towns with terrible sports radio ate it up. There is a reason that Mike and Mike had absymal ratings in just about every huge city.

but I didn't limit it to ESPN. Greenberg was an updates guy when Bernstein was a barely paid minor leagues assistant. Greenberg was on TV when Bernstein was on the Bear beat. Greenberg had a national radio show while Bernstein was doing updates. He didn't just get ahead of Bernstein. He was ahead of him every step of the way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:40 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Recency is clouding your perception. Remember when Mac moved to ESPN 1000 that station was literally pulling tenths of a percentage point of listeners in the afternoons. Before he left, they were beating B and B consistently for years. That is without any of the momentum other Score programming provided as a lead. Back in those days you could track the drain at 2 or whatever time MJH started.

I do not deny they were successful in that they held the spot for more than a decade. However, they only had good ratings when ESPN conceded the victory. Even then, there ratings weren't all that impressive. They were good when they should have been great when considering the competition

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Nope. If you're going to go that avenue then it's Mully and Hanley who have been ratings and money winners for 670.
Mully and Hanley do well but there is a reason B&B lasted as long as they did.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Mitch's inertia.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am 

good dolphin wrote:
but I didn't limit it to ESPN. Greenberg was an updates guy when Bernstein was a barely paid minor leagues assistant. Greenberg was on TV when Bernstein was on the Bear beat. Greenberg had a national radio show while Bernstein was doing updates. He didn't just get ahead of Bernstein. He was ahead of him every step of the way.
Not sure what your point is. Greenberg was an actor designed to play the part of non-controversial sports talker guy. Bernstein lost a play by play job because he wouldn't stop making jokes about Catholic priests.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:47 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Recency is clouding your perception. Remember when Mac moved to ESPN 1000 that station was literally pulling tenths of a percentage point of listeners in the afternoons. Before he left, they were beating B and B consistently for years. That is without any of the momentum other Score programming provided as a lead. Back in those days you could track the drain at 2 or whatever time MJH started.

I do not deny they were successful in that they held the spot for more than a decade. However, they only had good ratings when ESPN conceded the victory. Even then, there ratings weren't all that impressive. They were good when they should have been great when considering the competition
Mac is great. He's my favorite radio host in the city. I started listening to sports radio again because of MJH. No shame in being second to MJH.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Yes, Mitch Rosen's embodiment of middle management corporate America.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 am 

Jonathon Hood is in the top 5 most talented guys that I've heard at the Score. I listened to the station from Day 1. More talented than the Hanleys, Mullys, Murphys, Shaers etc. Boers McNeil and North were better imo but I don't think Bernstein is/was. He was repeatedly passed over for lesser talents.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Bernstein declared civil war on Chicago sports radio. Looked like things were going his way for a while, but ultimately he was a FAILURE.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jonathon Hood is in the top 5 most talented guys that I've heard at the Score. I listened to the station from Day 1. More talented than the Hanleys, Mullys, Murphys, Shaers etc. Boers McNeil and North were better imo but I don't think Bernstein is/was. He was repeatedly passed over for lesser talents.

I am probably the second member of the Hood ALS at this site. I agree. I still can't disagree with the fact that he burned Mitch BADLY. Telander and Hood was his baby. Telander sucked hard and that would have run its natural course but Hood tanked that. That is the only reason he is stuck where he is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I am probably the second member of the Hood ALS at this site. I agree. I still can't disagree with the fact that he burned Mitch BADLY. Telander and Hood was his baby. Telander sucked hard and that would have run its natural course but Hood tanked that. That is the only reason he is stuck where he is.

I've said it for years, Hood n Mac were the 2 best hosts in town..Mac has probably taken a step back n Hood n Parkins are the top 2 now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
long time guy wrote:

It's not really about something subjective like "talent" though. If the numbers are there and the sales guys can can sell ads on a J. Hood show, he'll be on the air. It's really that simple. Complaining about race in this part of the business would be like a white guy complaining that white power forwards don't get a fair chance. This is really about merit (money). Jimmy DeCastro isn't gonna take a black guy off the air who is pulling in ratings and money. End of story.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Hood had a legitimate beef. He just handled it badly and fucked up his career. I'm certain he knows that. Emotion gets the best of all of us at times.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
long time guy wrote:

Hood is immensely talented as a comedic voice.

When it comes to discussing sports, though, he's highly competent but fundamentally nondescript, as is the case for many ESPN "personalities".

Hood's firing from the Score and subsequent move to ESPN really undermined his career ascent because his broadcasting strengths lie outside of the acceptable boundaries for ESPN hosts who aren't considered "stars". Consequently, Hood isn't in a position to demonstrate his considerable but unconventional abilities as an entertainer.

When he was the third voice for the B&B show, I expected him to emerge as a Chicago radio star. It's unfortunate that he's never been given the freedom to demonstrate the full range of his talent at ESPN, especially following the Telander fiasco.

I suspect that there's no single explanation for Hood's career stagnation. Part of the situation is undoubtedly a function of racial bias, but ESPN's risk-averse corporate philosophy is also a factor. I also wonder about whether or not Hood's seemingly acrimonious departure from WSCR has had an impact on limiting the opportunities with which he's been presented over the past decade or so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:58 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
long time guy wrote:

When it comes to discussing sports, though, he's highly competent but fundamentally nondescript, as is the case for many ESPN "personalities".

Hood's firing from the Score and subsequent move to ESPN really undermined his career ascent because his broadcasting strengths lie outside of the acceptable boundaries for ESPN hosts who aren't considered "stars". Consequently, Hood isn't in a position to demonstrate his considerable but unconventional abilities as an entertainer.

When he was the third voice for the B&B show, I expected him to emerge as a Chicago radio star. It's unfortunate that he's never been given the freedom to demonstrate the full range of his talent at ESPN, especially following the Telander fiasco.

I suspect that there's no single explanation for Hood's career stagnation. Part of the situation is undoubtedly a function of racial bias, but ESPN's risk-averse corporate philosophy is also a factor. I also wonder about whether or not Hood's seemingly acrimonious departure from WSCR has had an impact on limiting the opportunities with which he's been presented over the past decade or so.

Of course it has. Mitch is still the boss and he will not be able to return until that is no longer the case.

I didn't think about it from your point of view about ESPN culture. Great observation.

One more factor not discussed is that his godfather at the Score is Bernstein who has openly stated he will not nurture nor look out for anyone else's career in the business.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Hood is an underrated interviewer. As I've mentioned before, his podcast where he spent 75 minutes interviewing the real Chet was really good, he didn't let Chet off the hook completely on various topics, but handled it with humor.

If Mitch had put Hood with Dan instead of Telander, things may have turned out very differently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Of course it has. Mitch is still the boss and he will not be able to return until that is no longer the case.

I didn't think about it from your point of view about ESPN culture. Great observation.

One more factor not discussed is that his godfather at the Score is Bernstein who has openly stated he will not nurture nor look out for anyone else's career in the business.

Was the Telander-Hood-Buffone show one of Mitch's experiments? I thought he was still at ESPN at that time, but it's entirely possible my recollection is inaccurate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Hood is an underrated interviewer. As I've mentioned before, his podcast where he spent 75 minutes interviewing the real Chet was really good, he didn't let Chet off the hook completely on various topics, but handled it with humor.

If Mitch had put Hood with Dan instead of Telander, things may have turned out very differently.

All Hood had to do was wait. That show was DOA. He was a sympathetic character and would have gotten another shot. He brought a blowtorch to it and it was Mitch's signature move.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:22 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If the Telander show was Mitch's move, it must have been his first. I don't think he got to the Score until 2~0~0~5

Also, wasn't the Telander show launched as the counterpart to DA MIKE NORT MORNIN SHOW? Who gets credit for that masterstroke?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Those things sound more like Rod Z. moves. Mitch never had the balls to do anything of significance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Mr. V's
Thankfully his run as de facto programming director is over.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
Those things sound more like Rod Z. moves. Mitch never had the balls to do anything of significance.

That's the way I remember it, Hatchet. The Hood-Telander-Buffone show was the brainchild of Rod Zimmerman.