It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:
DID YOU WATCH THE GAME???!!! occured one hour 35 minutes into the show.

That caller was defending Carlos Boozer...Huh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I mean, what's the deal with Illinois and New Mexico St loving the basketball coaches all the time?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:45 pm 

SHARK wrote:
not VCU's Shaka Smart.

I'd rather have Chaka Khan.

I'll see myself out...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
I mean, what's the deal with Illinois and New Mexico St loving the basketball coaches all the time?

Your guess is as good as mine. If I remember correctly, New Mexico State is where Lou Henson went after he left Illinois. I could've sworn Reggie Theus coached at New Mexico State before a brief cup of coffee as the Sacramento Kings' head coach...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm 

SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine. If I remember correctly, New Mexico State is where Lou Henson went after he left Illinois. I could've sworn Reggie Theus coached at New Mexico State before a brief cup of coffee as the Sacramento Kings' head coach...

Keep in mind though that Lou started at New Mexico St. Came to Illinois and then went back to NMSU. That's a lot of coach sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:53 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
SHARK wrote:
not VCU's Shaka Smart.

I'd rather have Chaka Khan.

I'll see myself out...

2.5 Hanleys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:54 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Keep in mind though that Lou started at New Mexico St. Came to Illinois and then went back to NMSU. That's a lot of coach sharing.

Thanks for the clarification. Davidson HC Bob McKillop is coming up after the legal ID & Drinky's 3p "Scoreboard Update".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:55 pm 

Can't believe I am saying this, but I gotta check out on the show. This Bull yelly stuff has pushed me over. It's not fun or funny. Just yelly and calling imaginary people stupid. The game can still be fun and mean nothing cause it is just one game. Don't need to constantly go to the "big picture" championship thing every single day. Bagged it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Was that before or after Hang Time?

If Illinois is going to hire a TV basketball coach, they should either get Ken Reeves from The White Shadow or Dick Butkus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Some long time guys bailing on B&B...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:02 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Was that before or after Hang Time?

If Illinois is going to hire a TV basketball coach, they should either get Ken Reeves from The White Shadow or Dick Butkus.

ESPN Classic, DIRECTV 614, does air reruns of "The White Shadow" with Ken Howard, the actor who played the basketball coach.

"Hang Time" aired in the early '90s before Reggie Theus became an actual head coach with New Mexico State & the Sacramento Kings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
beni hanna wrote:
Can't believe I am saying this, but I gotta check out on the show. This Bull yelly stuff has pushed me over. It's not fun or funny. Just yelly and calling imaginary people stupid. The game can still be fun and mean nothing cause it is just one game. Don't need to constantly go to the "big picture" championship thing every single day. Bagged it.

The show has always been bad on basketball, and I think it's because of the fact that they both covered the game extensively. They're insiders and we're not, so basketball talk inevitably descends into some combination of racially coded discussions of "monsters" and "dopes"; armchair psychoanalysis of the complex, tortured psyches of NBA coaches; and lectures on the extent to which "Jordan fans" Just. Don't. GET IT.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barones
I'm getting annoyed with the Jordan era Bulls comparison.

How can you compare this team, much else any other team, to the Jordan Bulls?

They keep talking about idiot Jordan fans, yet all they do is keep referring to the Jordan era!!!

They sound like the meatheads that they make fun of, who keep bringing up the 85 Bears.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:07 pm 

Yes, I don't get it. How can Dan keep on saying "this is Chicago, we hang championship banners in those rafters!!!" while being the same guy who continually rips the fans of those teams (and now this team)? While he mocks those that call in (using his heavy Chicago accent), he is sounding JUST like these "idiots" as he screams about it being "all about" the playoffs/championship....dis is Chicago....caaaaam awwwwn!

I know he openly admitted to "having to be that guy" when it comes to antagonizing fans, I guess I just don't get why he feels compelled to be that guy. It's annoying. It's annoying if you're not that guy, it's annoying if you are that guy, so why does he find it to be great radio?

Isn't Tony in Matteson the guy who usually calls in to lick the Bernstein taint? If so, kudos to him for attempting to voice an anti-Bernstein thought last segment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
Yes, I don't get it. How can Dan keep on saying "this is Chicago, we hang championship banners in those rafters!!!" while being the same guy who continually rips the fans of those teams (and now this team)? While he mocks those that call in (using his heavy Chicago accent), he is sounding JUST like these "idiots" as he screams about it being "all about" the playoffs/championship....dis is Chicago....caaaaam awwwwn!
Wasn't he celebrating the most when the Cubs got Theo and when the Bears got Cutler? I'm pretty sure that no banners were hung when they did that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SHARK wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Matty and Jenna Jameson are having a little e-spat?

Ask the Randazzler...

Matt Abbatacola, normally the EP of this show, is doing "Scoreboard Updates" this afternoon. Herb Lawrence & Brett Lyons are producing the program now through 6p. The first "White Sox Live: Presented by Miller Lite" show with Sox Radio Network pre & postgame host Chris Rongey takes over at 6p followed by Abbatacola at 8p leading into "SCORE Overnight" with Les Grobstein & Adam Harris at Midnight.

Wait, what does any of this have to do with Matt talking to Jenna Jameson? You can't use every single mention of a person to springboard into when, for example, Connor McKnight's next airshift is. It's like asking someone for the time, and he tells you how a watch works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 pm 

Right, someone call in with that. Surely his answer would be that it changed the mentality, the momentum, and the atmosphere around those squads...wait. He should not have read anything into those moves as they did NOT happen in the playoffs/championship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:
Wasn't he celebrating the most when the Cubs got Theo and when the Bears got Cutler? I'm pretty sure that no banners were hung when they did that.

:lol: :lol: Berns forgot when the White Sox got Dunn too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:17 pm 

JESUS. Someone call and. ASK. DAN. WHERE. HE. SAW. PEOPLE. SAYING. THIS. WAS. ANYTHING. MORE. THAN. WHAT. IT. WAS. PLEASE

Dan Bernstein is CERTAINLY the king of the Straw Man Argument. Congratulation, Dan, I look forward to your collaboration with Ed Sherman on your Straw Man book. He is getting PISSED about an argument he started with himself. Idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:17 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Harry Seaward wrote:
Yes, I don't get it. How can Dan keep on saying "this is Chicago, we hang championship banners in those rafters!!!"

But see, other than the Bulls in the '90s, we generally don't. Relative to New York and Los Angeles, and even Boston, we don't win shit. Our teams are routinely outclassed by their rivals in such lofty burgs as St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Detroit. We have nine major league championships since 1985, and six of those shouldn't count because they're Jordan championships not Bulls championships (lololol). Do we deserve this high standard of excellence?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:18 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:

:lol: :lol: Berns forgot when the White Sox got Dunn too.

Aw man, I almost forgot about that. He came about 6 times that day talking about his OPS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
JESUS. Someone call and. ASK. DAN. WHERE. HE. SAW. PEOPLE. SAYING. THIS. WAS. ANYTHING. MORE. THAN. WHAT. IT. WAS. PLEASE

Dan Bernstein is CERTAINLY the king of the Straw Man Argument. Congratulation, Dan, I look forward to your collaboration with Ed Sherman on your Straw Man book. He is getting PISSED about an argument he started with himself. Idiot.

Still not listening, but I know what you mean. I sincerely hope there are texters baiting the hell out of him. If there are not it is either your straw man or he may be losing his reality grip.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 pm 

RIGHT, that's what I'm saying about his "we're Chicawgo, maaaaan, we win da championships not pop a chubby over a March W vs dem cheez heads!!!!" It's dumb. We're not a city rich with sports championships. We're not lousy with banners. He needs. To. Stop. Saying. That.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:23 pm 

What you'll get from Dan, as justificiation for his continued disgust of these dumb sports fans in Chicago, is reference to "all these Tweets" and "I'm staring at a call screen and I am scared and want to die" and "these text messages are dumb, I'm not going to even read them".

I've done it before, but the one way you can see that he erects a straw man to f the hell out of is to search his @ mentions on Twitter. Go to last night, and see just how many Tweets he got declaring that THIS is proof that the Bulls/Rose are better than the Heat/James. Maybe one, would be my guess, and he then angrily constructs and ENTIRE SHOW around it. But it's our fault, the stupid sports fans. And if/when anyone calls in with a non-asslicking take, he'll quickly scream at them and tell them that he gives permission to be "excited" and simply to not make too much out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:24 pm 

Best. Caller. Ever. Right. Now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:26 pm 

Oh, ok, now Dan has declared that LAST YEAR'S REGULAR SEASON was important. This one is not. Got it, guys?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
I checked back in, and I heard that the people of New Orleans should now go back to feeling awful about the hurricane and their city because of this scandal. I don't know how many people in New Orleans that lost their home thought their lives were complete because New Orleans won the Super Bowl. That was a media narrative. Not the people that live there. They were probably happy to have a Super Bowl title, and a distraction. But they were not the people saying the Super Bowl saved the city. Checking back out. Really bad show today.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:53 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
Oh, ok, now Dan has declared that LAST YEAR'S REGULAR SEASON was important. This one is not. Got it, guys?

He crapped himself pretty quick. He's going on and on about how the game winning shot and Rose's ability to close games in the regular season doesn't matter, then with the very next sentence, proclaims he is worried about the defense that he saw in the game. Definite WYC moment or even just to show how he is able to consistently find the negative in everything. I really don't know if he thinks that regular season matters or not....he flip flops more than Romney.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Championships are great, but that's not why I watch sports or root for the teams that I root for. If they win a championship, that's a bonus. I like sports because I like the games. I don't bail on my teams when they don't win. Hell, I'm a Cubs fan!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
So it sounds like not listening today was a good thing.

Has it been podcast worthy?