It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
A caller says the Bears should trade Jay Cutler.

He doesn't know the name of the Bears' backup QB.

Thinks the Bears should trade Cutler for Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers.

Rozner keeps saying "What about McGowan? You liked him, right?"

Bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Tad Queasy wrote:
A caller says the Bears should trade Jay Cutler.

He doesn't know the name of the Bears' backup QB.

Thinks the Bears should trade Cutler for Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers.

Rozner keeps saying "What about McGowan? You liked him, right?"

Bad.

If I was there when Rozner kept repeating McGowan, I would have killed him. The guy is an affront to humor.

On the other hand, he was annoying Bernstein, who started ignoring him, so that was funny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam's Pizza IC
The call was absolutely fucking awesome. And Barry sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
What time was the call. Sounds like something worth podcasting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Franky T wrote:

If you missed the show, you're already ahead. Don't torture yourself with this train wreck. Do you really want to hear Barry McGowan-ing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam's Pizza IC
Franky T wrote:
22:20 into hour 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Rozner is extremely pessimistic on the Bears/NFL and sounds like a complete idiot.

Last week, he suggested that the Bears had no offensive talent, and then later wondered why teams with bad offensive lines just do what Denver did defensively. The guest reminded him that you'd need a great secondary and the pass rusher in football to replicate the Broncos.

Today, he starts the show with the NFL product is awful and the Bears are horrible.

The guy shouldn't be allowed to talk football.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yeah the awful NFL play seems to be the narrative of the show early on this season. Now they have evolved to the college game is superior with all the powerhouses having 80-90 players and next stud up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
denisdman wrote:
Franky T wrote:

If you missed the show, you're already ahead. Don't torture yourself with this train wreck. Do you really want to hear Barry McGowan-ing?

You don't. It was insane......unless this was a tag-team caller-Rozner troll. Even then, not sure it's worth it.

That caller was delightfully idiotic, though. Definite troll.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:47 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
Yeah the awful NFL play seems to be the narrative of the show early on this season. Now they have evolved to the college game is superior with all the powerhouses having 80-90 players and next stud up.

Dan spent the better part of the last ten years shitting all over the college game so hard that you might as well have called it the N-C-Double-HEY-HEY!!! and now it's superior? get the fuck outta herrrrreeee

BD wrote:
Rozner is extremely pessimistic on the Bears/NFL and sounds like a complete idiot.

The Bears are one of the worst NFL franchises of the last 25 years. How could anyone be optimistic about them?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 am 

do Sir and Dan really think they are the wild guys at the Score? They were talking during transition about going to some producer's wedding like they were the life of the party.

They were also describing the young guys at the Score getting older and you can see that there is absolutely no young talent pushing for air time at that place anymore. I don't like the present of the station very much but the future is even more bleak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:54 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I don't like the present of the station very much but the future is even more bleak

They have buried their heads in the sand. Clinging to Nielsen ratings is like clinging to landline political polling.

Grobstein is the most entertaining thing on this station by a mile. And not in the ways that you'd typically want as a program director.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Is Hub still on at 5 during the NFL season?

I have a fever
And the only cure
Is more Hub

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
DannyB wrote:
Is Hub still on at 5 during the NFL season?

I have a fever
And the only cure
Is more Hub

yup, still with frank from oak park's 3 minute long questions too.... hey guys.... i spent all week drafting and editting this question complete with oddball references that will be sure to make bernstein giggle... ill hang up and listen to your response... click...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
And always first. That's because he has to hurry back to grooming an 11 year old boy on the other line. Or that's what it sounds like anyways.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:28 pm 

It really is a shame for us that sports radio has to be such garbage in such a great sports city.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
pittmike wrote:
It really is a shame for us that sports radio has to be such garbage in such a great sports city.

It's been a fun listen today.

Not that you don't already know that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:43 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah goofy pizza talk. I was speaking more overall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
pittmike wrote:

Listened a little on the ride home.

The guy from Bleacher Report was something. He must have watched Osweiler play a different team then i did Sunday. He should have had over 300 yds passing and at least one more TD.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
pittmike wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah goofy pizza talk. I was speaking more overall.

I'd say it's not quite as bad as you might characterize it but I would agree that there's little good reason it shouldn't be better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 pm 

mrgoodkat wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I don't like the present of the station very much but the future is even more bleak

They have buried their heads in the sand. Clinging to Nielsen ratings is like clinging to landline political polling.

Grobstein is the most entertaining thing on this station by a mile. And not in the ways that you'd typically want as a program director.

I know radio is a "dying medium". However, there is still money to be made for entertaining talkers. Why can't we find any?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:
mrgoodkat wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I know radio is a "dying medium". However, there is still money to be made for entertaining talkers. Why can't we find any?

Program directors aren't really willing to go flush out new talent, they want to go with the commodity they think they know, because while it certainly isn't the best (or in some cases any good), the complete unknown is much scarier. It's why Mac had to try really, really hard to get fired from 670, why Terry is allowed to make 400K from his den, why Spiegel has been through 3 different partners, why Goff returned, why Barry is the go-to fill in and likely the next on-air full-timer, why the only Score Search for an air talent was merely an elaborate way to hire Conor McKnight, etc.

In this case, Mitch knows Barry, Terry, Goff, and Spiegel will do their part to set the pace for WMVP in PPM, and all he has to do is latch onto Cubs baseball at the right time, and he'll be safe. It's the same everywhere, I've seen PD's getting absolutely killed in the ratings by a rival sports station, barely showing up in the all-day PPM ratings, and they are still perfectly fine piping in ESPN or Fox Sports synidcated shows instead of making a go of finding and utilizing fresh talent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 pm 

Idk about everywhere. The CBS local sports station here does a fine job and you don't get the crap. You get a touch of off topic funny or serious stuff for a SHORT bit then back to sports. ESPN is non existent here. Also last time I knew Detroit had THREE decent sports talkers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
mrgoodkat wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Program directors aren't really willing to go flush out new talent, they want to go with the commodity they think they know, because while it certainly isn't the best (or in some cases any good), the complete unknown is much scarier. It's why Mac had to try really, really hard to get fired from 670, why Terry is allowed to make 400K from his den, why Spiegel has been through 3 different partners, why Goff returned, why Barry is the go-to fill in and likely the next on-air full-timer, why the only Score Search for an air talent was merely an elaborate way to hire Conor McKnight, etc.

In this case, Mitch knows Barry, Terry, Goff, and Spiegel will do their part to set the pace for WMVP in PPM, and all he has to do is latch onto Cubs baseball at the right time, and he'll be safe. It's the same everywhere, I've seen PD's getting absolutely killed in the ratings by a rival sports station, barely showing up in the all-day PPM ratings, and they are still perfectly fine piping in ESPN or Fox Sports synidcated shows instead of making a go of finding and utilizing fresh talent.

PD's and Mitch do what they are told by market managers. Plain and simple.

PD' s don't develop talent unless they are told and Mitch has no authority to sign contracts with any sports teams.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
That's not entirely true. PD's have discretion to acquire and groom new talent, to my knowledge, so long as they can make ends meet budget-wise, and don't have to go to the mother nipple for more funds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:03 pm 

Maybe normal program directors do, but the suspicion here has always been that Mitch is a rather neutered program director.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Maybe normal program directors do, but the suspicion here has always been that Mitch is a rather neutered program director.

Yes. That's the case. Mitch is a nervous, scared SOB that just wants to get through the day without being fired. He's one of those guys. So he hides underneath his desk for 8 hours and when he's forced to talk to his horrible SCORE people he just says "You're great". So they all think they're great.

Bernstein's words: "Mitch is a guy that asks you how you're doing and before you can look up to respond he's down the hall and in his office before you can answer."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Dan spent the better part of the last ten years shitting all over the college game so hard that you might as well have called it the N-C-Double-HEY-HEY!!! and now it's superior? get the fuck outta herrrrreeee

BD wrote:

The Bears are one of the worst NFL franchises of the last 25 years. How could anyone be optimistic about them?

I'm not asking him to be optimistic, and I'm not suggesting they are a playoff team this year, but I would expect improvement over last season. Rozner doesn't know much about football and it shows in some of his definitive statements that aren't as black/white as he makes. The last 25 years don't really have any impact on the current job that Ryan Pace and John Fox are currently doing. They may fail, but to declarative statements based on pre-season football is usually a bad thought.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
do Sir and Dan really think they are the wild guys at the Score? They were talking during transition about going to some producer's wedding like they were the life of the party.

They were also describing the young guys at the Score getting older and you can see that there is absolutely no young talent pushing for air time at that place anymore. I don't like the present of the station very much but the future is even more bleak

I heard that - thank god these crazy out of control radio hosts were in the back of the room.

Holmes continues to prove that he's an idiot any time he opens his mouth.