It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I called that the one season Arrieta was better than Sale was just a fluke and that Sale was a better pitcher. You argued against it over multiple threads which I can also bump if you would like. It was a great call by me and sadly you didn't choose the right side of it. You were blinded by your attempt to skew numbers once again in favor of a Cubs player rather than the fairly obvious. This is like LaHair-Konerko again.

I had nothing to do with LaHair. :lol:

Please bump the posts that you feel apply to your point.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016050 ... ke-arrieta

I mean...even Chris Sale agreed with me. For a 3 month stretch, Jake Arrieta was one of the best pitchers in the history of baseball, with the single best statistical stretch any starter has ever had. For a 2.5 year stretch, he was a Top 5 pitcher in baseball.

The second half of 2016 and first half of 2017 do not change what he was during those times.

Last edited by IMU on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:04 am 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I called that the one season Arrieta was better than Sale was just a fluke and that Sale was a better pitcher. You argued against it over multiple threads which I can also bump if you would like. It was a great call by me and sadly you didn't choose the right side of it. You were blinded by your attempt to skew numbers once again in favor of a Cubs player rather than the fairly obvious. This is like LaHair-Konerko again.

I had nothing to do with LaHair. :lol:

Please bump the posts that you feel apply to your point.
Ok, but before I do, let me clarify. Did you ever think that Arrieta was a better pitcher than Chris Sale besides the sample size of only the 2015 season?

The larger point though is you said I'm not a "baseball guy" but I pretty much nailed the rise and fall of Arrieta even while he was still "dominant".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:06 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ok, but before I do, let me clarify. Did you ever think that Arrieta was a better pitcher than Chris Sale besides the sample size of only the 2015 season?

The larger point though is you said I'm not a "baseball guy" but I pretty much nailed the rise and fall of Arrieta even while he was still "dominant".

See my additions to the post above.

But yes, Jake Arrieta was better than Chris Sale from 2014-2016. Three years is not insignificant. Arrieta was better in almost every single pitching category.

I'm not considering Arrieta 'fallen' at this point in time. Just look at Greinke or Archer's first half of 2016. Those are just two aces I can think of that have that had brutal starts to the year. They recover. And their bests were never close to Arrieta's.

I don't know how Arrieta will be pitching in late 2017. But I've not written him out of baseball yet.

Last edited by IMU on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It's a game of time and repetition. Tommy Kahnle pitched the best inning I've seen this season. So what?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:08 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

But yes, Jake Arrieta was better than Chris Sale from 2014-2016. Three years is not insignificant. Arrieta was better in almost every single pitching category.

You mean the categories that don't take into account that Arrieta pitched in the DECIDEDLY weaker league where he faced other pitchers?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:10 am 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Arrieta had one fluke year but Sale is clearly superior. Correct?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Arrieta was arguably the best pitcher in baseball for about a year stretch, and he was unquestionably the best pitcher for half a season. Acknowledging that doesn't mean that anyone is saying he is better than Kershaw or Sale or anyone else overall. What IMU said in the post that was quoted is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 am 
Site Admin

This isn't really like Konerko-LaHair. It's more like Konerko-Derrek Lee. MANY Cub fans actually thought Derrek Lee was better than Konerko and some even thought he was better than Pujols.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
This isn't really like Konerko-LaHair. It's more like Konerko-Derrek Lee. MANY Cub fans actually thought Derrek Lee was better than Konerko and some even thought he was better than Pujols.

Oh, for fuck's sake... I'm out.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You mean the categories that don't take into account that Arrieta pitched in the DECIDEDLY weaker league where he faced other pitchers?

Plenty of statistics take that into account JORR. Welcome to 2008.

leashyourkids wrote:
Arrieta was arguably the best pitcher in baseball for about a year stretch, and he was unquestionably the best pitcher for half a season. Acknowledging that doesn't mean that anyone is saying he is better than Kershaw or Sale or anyone else overall. What IMU said in the post that was quoted is correct.
IMU can clarify he only meant for that one season if he wants. He seems to be taking the opposite approach though.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Incorrect.

From 2014-2016, in each season, Arrieta was the better pitcher.

Sale is currently better.

If leash does not agree with me, then he is wrong as well. Isolate 2014 or 2016 if you like, and compare it to Sale's season. Jake Arrieta had an ungodly 2015 that everyone remembers.

Last edited by IMU on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Incorrect.

From 2014-2016, in each season, Arrieta was the better pitcher.

Sale is currently better.
Exhibit B.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Arrieta was arguably the best pitcher in baseball for about a year stretch, and he was unquestionably the best pitcher for half a season.

True.

leashyourkids wrote:
Acknowledging that doesn't mean that anyone is saying he is better than Kershaw or Sale or anyone else overall. What IMU said in the post that was quoted is correct.

The obvious endgame was to suggest that Arrieta was a better pitcher than Sale, which is nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:17 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Arrieta was arguably the best pitcher in baseball for about a year stretch, and he was unquestionably the best pitcher for half a season.

True.

leashyourkids wrote:
Acknowledging that doesn't mean that anyone is saying he is better than Kershaw or Sale or anyone else overall. What IMU said in the post that was quoted is correct.

The obvious endgame was to suggest that Arrieta was a better pitcher than Sale, which is nonsense.

In what I saw, he didn't say that. But if he's saying that, then yeah, he's wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

True.

leashyourkids wrote:

In what I saw, he didn't say that. But if he's saying that, then yeah, he's wrong.
I bumped that post because of IMU's condescension about not being a "baseball guy" when it is pretty clear in terms of Arrieta I was much closer to reality than he was. Arrieta had one monster year that was pretty much a fluke(lasting a little bit into the next year but falling off fast). IMU is still clinging to the notion that there was a whole three year stretch that Arrieta was better probably using combined statistics or something.

It's ok IMU. Abreu was better than Rizzo for a year too. I can admit Rizzo is better though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I bumped that post because of IMU's condescension about not being a "baseball guy" when it is pretty clear in terms of Arrieta I was much closer to reality than he was. Arrieta had one monster year that was pretty much a fluke(lasting a little bit into the next year but falling off fast). IMU is still clinging to the notion that there was a whole three year stretch that Arrieta was better probably using combined statistics or something.

It's ok IMU. Abreu was better than Rizzo for a year too. I can admit Rizzo is better though.

I am admitting Sale is better now. What is your problem? That Arrieta was better than Sale for three years and because you don't watch games nor understand how to read stat lines you can be ignorant of it and yet I'm at some fault?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:27 am 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I am admitting Sale is better now. What is your problem? That Arrieta was better than Sale for three years and because you don't watch games nor understand how to read stat lines you can be ignorant of it and yet I'm at some fault?
Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:33 am 

Yeah, realization sometimes hits like a freight train. Leverage your friends and family as a support system to get you through.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:38 am 

IMU wrote:
Yeah, realization sometimes hits like a freight train. Leverage your friends and family as a support system to get you through.

Somebody is upset.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Arrieta was better in 2015. He was not better in any other year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:46 am 

I'm upset that despite leash having such a great baseball and Cubs fan as a dad, that he is unable to recognize the full extent of Arrieta's period of greatness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
I think when both of their careers are done and Hall of Fame eligibility time comes, and the entirety of their careers are taken into account, Chris Sale will be viewed as the better pitcher overall...

While pitchers have had downs on their numbers, Arrieta's numbers fell much lower than their norm for a longer period of time...Sale has been more consistent overall...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:04 pm 

IMU wrote:
I'm upset that despite leash having such a great baseball and Cubs fan as a dad, that he is unable to recognize the full extent of Arrieta's period of greatness.

I realize that Arrieta was very good in 2014 too. Either way, he's no Sale.

Last edited by leashyourkids on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Taking nothing away from Arrietta's dominance in 2015...and he did dominate the NL that year...I'd still likely lean toward's giving an edge to Sale for that year.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Taking nothing away from Arrietta's dominance in 2015...and he did dominate the NL that year...I'd still likely lean toward's giving an edge to Sale for that year.

Dude, Arrieta gave up like 4 runs in the entire second half of the season. Let's not get crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:12 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Dude, Arrieta gave up like 4 runs in the entire second half of the season. Let's not get crazy.
Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Sale's history leading up to 2015 was more consistent...plus he's left handed....and yes, he pitches in a more difficult lead. No question that Arrietta pitched out of his mind dominant, but one had to figure he'd eventually come back to reality. He did and then some.

yes, there was a stretch of time Arrietta pitched better than Sale.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
IMU getting very defensive in this thread. It's ok that you were wrong about Arrieta and Sale. Happens to the best of us.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:12 am 

Arrietta is the white Jose Contrearas, as long as we only take into account Contrearas MLB career. If not Arrietta is the straight Steve Stone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next