It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Sam's Pizza IC
Regardless of whether Uncle Teary is riding off into the sunset, we need a tribute to one of the sportswriters of all time. What's your favorite Terry memory?

Mine is when he was really fat and jolly. He loved food and smoking and both of those things are good.

RIP Terry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Hayden Fry's Mustache wrote:
Regardless of whether Uncle Teary is riding off into the sunset, we need a tribute to one of the sportswriters of all time. What's your favorite Terry memory?

I must concur with your assessment that Boers is "one of the sportswriters of all time."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
:lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam's Pizza IC
Tall Midget wrote:

I must concur with your assessment that Boers is "one of the sportswriters of all time."

Thank you. I was hoping someone would notice that. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:36 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

Not true, if he was one of the "Best" he would have been on a show called "Sportwriters".....He couldn't carry Bill Gleason's Jock!
or Joe Mooshil's eye socket for that matter!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

What's your favorite Terry memory?

We've done this before. One I've told. One I don't think I've told.

1. Zack Zaidman telling Boers that he's good with the ladies cuz he has the "Gift of Gab". Terry's response: "That's great Zack, because you weren't given the gift of face."

Silence from Zaidman as he was fuming. You could feel the tension on the air. Zack is one of those guys that can't take it. He's a very proud guy that thinks highly of himself. This made it more funny. Cracked me up at the time.

2. This one happened about a year ago or so. It's one of those things where you had to hear it. Telling the story here won't be as funny. But I'll do it anyway. Some dumb ass caller got on the air. Boers had reported something from one of his guys while this guy was talking to him. The caller said "Gee, I never heard that before." Boers said to him "Well, I was waiting to tell you when you called." The caller said "Wow. Really? Thanks." The dumb ass caller really believed him. Anyway, it was funny. You had to be there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Back in the HFC days before the days of the Townstone Financial Text Line, I can remember TB virtually crying tears of rage because people kept leaving voice mails for him in which they would tell him how ugly he was. It was no joke, he was deeply affected. I was super funny.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

DannyB wrote:
Back in the HFC days before the days of the Townstone Financial Text Line, I can remember TB virtually crying tears of rage because people kept leaving voice mails for him in which they would tell him how ugly he was. It was no joke, he was deeply affected. I was super funny.

Seriously?

Why were people calling to insult the appearance of a radio guy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Tall Midget wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Seriously?

You read this board almost daily ... a board filled with troglodytes (and choglodytes, per Les) that vomit their every impulsive thought with impunity and you wonder why people made phone calls about how somebody on the radio looked?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Don Tiny wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Seriously?

You read this board almost daily ... a board filled with troglodytes (and choglodytes, per Les) that vomit their every impulsive thought with impunity and you wonder why people made phone calls about how somebody on the radio looked?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

DannyB wrote:

Really? I find that hard to believe. Terry crying over people calling himself ugly? He's the ultimate self loather. He calls himself ugly and dumb.

I wouldn't even think he would respond to it. Let alone cry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Terry and Julie are more alike than we thought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys

Mine is when he was really fat and jolly. He loved food and smoking and both of those things are good.

RIP Terry.

He was one of the best sportswriters ever. No question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Beardown wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Really? I find that hard to believe. Terry crying over people calling himself ugly? He's the ultimate self loather. He calls himself ugly and dumb.

I wouldn't even think he would respond to it. Let alone cry.

I don't believe he'd even check his voice mail.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Terry alluded to a joke he's told for a while in tranny. But he once told it better than he did today.

When they were on Belmont Ave, the transmitter was in the studio as they broadcast. You know, that's kind of not healthy. Radiation and that sort of thing.

Anyway, Terry would tell the story...

Boers: Ya know, the transmitter being in the studio wasn't good. Eeeee, buddy, it wasn't good. I was worried about my health. Da Ma Na was worried about his health. We would often talk about our concern for our health with this transmitter on our cigarette breaks as we ate fast food. Anyway, it affected Dan more than me. I was fine. But one day, I was doing the show with Dan, I happen to look at his legs. His testicles were glowing through his jeans!!! Eeeeee eeeeee eeeee. Da Ma Na!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

I remember this stupid exchange.

Boers: I go to Florida a lot as you know. Watch the local news. Sinkholes everywhere. Everywhere somebody's house just falls into the ground. Gone!!! Sinkhole here. Sinkhole there. Sinkhole de Mayo!!!

Bernstein: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
It was a diversity hire.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Terry was an asshole and still is. That he may be dying doesn't change that. He was an asshole as a writer too. Almost always negative and looking for a way to criticize. That was why it was so great when Da Coach put him in his place after Terry went back on his previously expressed criticism of Ditka for being too demonstrative as a coach and then asked Ditka about why it seemed in the past game that he didn't have the fire in him and he almost seemed resigned to the fate and Ditka reminded him that he was the guy who criticized him when he did have the fire, that it was the wrong thing.....SO WHO YOU CRAPPIN???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Terry was an asshole and still is. That he may be dying doesn't change that. He was an asshole as a writer too. Almost always negative and looking for a way to criticize. That was why it was so great when Da Coach put him in his place after Terry went back on his previously expressed criticism of Ditka for being too demonstrative as a coach and then asked Ditka about why it seemed in the past game that he didn't have the fire in him and he almost seemed resigned to the fate and Ditka reminded him that he was the guy who criticized him when he did have the fire, that it was the wrong thing.....SO WHO YOU CRAPPIN???

Nice douche bag you would not have read Boers as a sportswriter you only know this from the bit on the Score. Fuck you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Eat shit, you learning disabled fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Its hard to see the old man go...I always liked Terry. I mean, you grow up as a sports fan with the guy its going to be sad to see him die.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:19 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Nobody said he was dying.

Maybe he just has to dip out of sight for a few years to heal/fight whatever is ailing him, but he knows that he cannot use his voice as an instrument anymore.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:02 am 

Scooter wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Nice douche bag you would not have read Boers as a sportswriter you only know this from the bit on the Score. Fuck you.

I read Boers pretty much daily. I have read the Sun Times and Tribune sports for over 30 years. Still read them every day. Loved the National for the 18 months it was published as well. That I read Terry nearly every day, is a compliment to his writing, even if like Jay Marrioti, I thought he was an asshole.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Panther pislA wrote:

Maybe he just has to dip out of sight for a few years to heal/fight whatever is ailing him, but he knows that he cannot use his voice as an instrument anymore.

Oh, so he's sort of like Robert Plant.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Panther pislA wrote:

I guessed long ago he had voice/throat problems when he started to use the drop machine for bye cracky. Anyway, there is no doubt he has cancer. I listened to his end of the show part on podcast. He mentioned that he was full of medicine and whatever other "crap" they have in him. Clearly, chemo.

He is probably weak as hell and sick as fuck a lot. Hopefully, he makes it performance wise for as many days he can until Jan 5th. I would guess he will survive but maybe his voice/throat will not. No voice at all or a throat buzz box. That would be a killer for someone that made their living with their voice.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Panther pislA wrote:

Plus his contract was up on January 5 anyway, so it's not like CBS is going to make him an offer to stick around at this point.

That's why he knew before he got sick that he was going to retire at the end of this year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:

Plus his contract was up on January 5 anyway, so it's not like CBS is going to make him an offer to stick around at this point.

That's why he knew before he got sick that he was going to retire at the end of this year.

Yeah, and dude gets pretty emotional over less exciting stuff, too - he bawled his heart out when Jason left for Atlanta, for instance.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
So far just an outstanding tribute :roll:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:51 am 

I remember back in the HFC days Dan and Terry reading a story about a DiCaro type that was too fat to sit in the seat at a movie theater. The woman asked to sit in the aisle, but was told that it would be a fire hazard. They were taking turns trying to one-up each other with insults. I remember Terry joking that the theater manager should find her multiple seat because the women would purchase multiple tickets worth of Snowcaps at the snack bar.

Liked when his brutal quips would come out.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:59 am 

As I said in the other thread, he is one of the Big 4 at the station. Every person with a job at the Score today owes him a debt of gratitude.