It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
*Goff will take over entire segments and talk about literally nothing. That is not an exaggeration,he just dives down a series of completely unrelated rabbit holes in quick succession with no real impetus to change the topic. If I didn't know better I'd think these bizarre 15 minute blocks of nonsense were some sort of attempt at high art.

*Bernstein acting black. Luckily there is nowhere to go but up after he spent a segments detailing all he learned about The Community as a child from a pair of black servants hired by his parents to watch over him.

*Guests interviews have ceased to provide any sort of outside perspective and instead turned into a showcase for the two to one-up each other asking continually "better" questions and then interrupting or just ignoring the guest to compliment the other on the quality of his cohosts question. Then spend the follow up segment explaining how good the questions were.

*Inordinate amount of time spent describing in meaningless and mundane detail the trivialities of their off-air lives.

There are other issues, but the crux of the matter is the show is just boring. These are two pretty boring guys who are capable of being interesting when talking about interesting things, but instead of discussing interesting things have decided to make the whole show revolve around their boring selves. Even when you disagreed (often) with B&B it was still a compelling listen that kept you tuned in, now I'd rather sit in silence on the Eisenhower than listen to Goff brag about all the ESPN1000 employees he can beat up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Barstool Big Cat had an interesting thread on Twitter calling Bernstein out for becoming an SJW when just a few years ago everything was tits and gay jokes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:10 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, I tried to give it a shot this week, but it is, like you said, objectively bad. The show doesn't feel fun. It feels indulgent. Dan and Terry went up their own asses all the time, usually about NBA stuff that no one else gives a shit about, but they'd eventually get back on course because either Dan had the radio discipline to stop sperging out over who was in the top 20 for steals from 1999-2003 or Terry proved too ill-informed to do anything but just riff. One way or another, Terry did generally keep things grounded in the idea that this -- sports, sports radio, whatever -- is all a fundamentally stupid waste of time. I don't think that's the case with Dan and Jason. Now sports is a necessary battleground for the culture war. And be that as it may, I don't think either one makes a good general for it. Dan, despite his persistent misconception that he is black, is a dumpy middle-aged rich guy in a gated community who makes six figures to scold people about LeBron James. The only #resistance he knows is wrinkle-resistant fabric. Jason can believably talk culture-war stuff, but it's not his strong suit, which is simply being a likable sports nerd you'd want to hang out and talk Chicago sports with. They're terrible interviewers, yes, but so were Dan and Terry, and they've had a lot of terrible guests.

Basically, the show is just going to be combing Deadspin every morning for race relations and NBA minutiae and then yelling at callers. I don't know where the levity is going to come from, other than Jason randomly giggling at things.

But it doesn't matter. None of it matters. They carry the defending world champion Chicago Cubs. That alone will put them ahead of everyone in the market but 780 and maybe V103. They could fire everyone and just have Julie DiCaro bitching for 12 hours a day about the time someone bumped into her shoulder on a train platform and they'd still kill the books.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Coalfire
Tried to listen to this but it's brutally, brutally bad.

Plus, this show's been done before.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The funny thing is Dan thinks he's the world's greatest interviewer. The fact that he is on a station with an awful collection of interviewers doesn't help.

The problem of always trying to ask the "best question" is one that pre-dates Goff. Dan has always done that. If they're interviewing a unique or engaging personality, he should just ask some open-ended questions and let them talk. Dan asks questions that are so narrow in scope that they're almost close-ended. He does this to try to look smart and to lead the interviewee to a very specific answer (usually one that agrees with Dan).

An example might be if they had, say, Stacey King on... Instead of just saying "Who's to blame for the Bulls struggles and why?", Dan would ask, "Given the climate of the NBA and the fact that at least one superstar is necessary to ever have a legitimate shot at winning a title, do you think it's fair to pin any of the blame on the front office, especially when acquring a superstar is often just a matter of luck?"

Leading the witness...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Bernstein's always been annoying, but what stands out with Jason is his need to be right about things no one listening cares about. Today he went on and on about how it's an unfair question to ask an NFLer with concussion issues if he'd do it all over again because the question negates his personhood or something. Jason was trying to get Dan to give an example of when it would be a fair question and was making a decent point, but Dan just wouldn't shut up about it even though no one listening cares if it's a fair question and not just something people blithely ask. Parkins was guilty of that with Spiegs a lot at the beginning, but I haven't listened enough recently to know if it's still the case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Barstool Big Cat had an interesting thread on Twitter calling Bernstein out for becoming an SJW when just a few years ago everything was tits and gay jokes

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK....please.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, I tried to give it a shot this week, but it is, like you said, objectively bad. The show doesn't feel fun. It feels indulgent. Dan and Terry went up their own asses all the time, usually about NBA stuff that no one else gives a shit about, but they'd eventually get back on course because either Dan had the radio discipline to stop sperging out over who was in the top 20 for steals from 1999-2003 or Terry proved too ill-informed to do anything but just riff. One way or another, Terry did generally keep things grounded in the idea that this -- sports, sports radio, whatever -- is all a fundamentally stupid waste of time. I don't think that's the case with Dan and Jason. Now sports is a necessary battleground for the culture war. And be that as it may, I don't think either one makes a good general for it. Dan, despite his persistent misconception that he is black, is a dumpy middle-aged rich guy in a gated community who makes six figures to scold people about LeBron James. The only #resistance he knows is wrinkle-resistant fabric. Jason can believably talk culture-war stuff, but it's not his strong suit, which is simply being a likable sports nerd you'd want to hang out and talk Chicago sports with. They're terrible interviewers, yes, but so were Dan and Terry, and they've had a lot of terrible guests.

Basically, the show is just going to be combing Deadspin every morning for race relations and NBA minutiae and then yelling at callers. I don't know where the levity is going to come from, other than Jason randomly giggling at things.

But it doesn't matter. None of it matters. They carry the defending world champion Chicago Cubs. That alone will put them ahead of everyone in the market but 780 and maybe V103. They could fire everyone and just have Julie DiCaro bitching for 12 hours a day about the time someone bumped into her shoulder on a train platform and they'd still kill the books.

Right, and one nice wrinkle the station gets that is unique to being the Cubs flagship is they will spend a lot of the summer having their mediocre afternoon show preempted by games. The two will be free to blithely babble about anything on the airwaves and still pull in massive numbers just from people who leave the station on after Cubs post.

But the day is going to come when Goff leads right into a show after a Cubs game saying things about white people that will not go over well with the Cubs fanbase. Dan knows better than to piss off the blue meal tickets, but Apron and Cub. Jason either doesn't know or doesn't care, probably a bit of both. There is also the fact that the Ricketts are on the Wrong Side of History and people will start taking more notice of that once the season starts. They can evade callers and guests who will bring that up, but they cant evade the cohost who decides that today is the day he puts Cubs ownership on blast.

It'll be the best show they ever broadcast, too bad I'll completely uninterested in listening by the time it hppens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
Right, and one nice wrinkle the station gets that is unique to being the Cubs flagship is they will spend a lot of the summer having their mediocre afternoon show preempted by games. The two will be free to blithely babble about anything on the airwaves and still pull in massive numbers just from people who leave the station on after Cubs post.

I feel like the Sox play a not-insignificant number of day games. Not as much as at the Cocksuckers' Playground, heavens no, but more than most teams who only play day games on Sundays or CBA-mandated getaway days (and the Rangers even wriggle out of that). After all, bad Sox ratings cost Dan a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 am 

I like the show but I zone out when it is national NBA heavy. I don't care that much and if I do I'm going to a better source for national sports.

The problem though is that right now the biggest pause is to basically have a discussion about how great the Cubs are.

I think actual baseball and then the nfl will give this show a chance to give up the NBA crutch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 am 

Great show everyday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Great show everyday.

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Drove me crazy. Last year everyone was giddy about their ratings an bragging about being a top ten show. Hmmmmm what changed. They never really mentioned that the Cubs carried the ratings. It was all about radio "Evolving" bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yesterday Goff went off (again) on hockey fans. They were talking about the Anisomov injury a little but mostly how Crawford should have been pulled and put into the concussion protocol. Compelling.

Naturally there were texters (supposedly real) that were giving them crap. I kinda zoned out but basically Goff was telling people they really don't care and all of the hockey fans can kiss his ass. Dan backed him up with they didn't watch hockey in AZ becasue they just don't care enough to want to.

I have said it before that they either have hard numbers and management backing them up regarding hockey or they are incredibly stupid to turn off an entire fan segment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
pittmike wrote:
Yesterday Goff went off (again) on hockey fans. They were talking about the Anisomov injury a little but mostly how Crawford should have been pulled and put into the concussion protocol. Compelling.

Naturally there were texters (supposedly real) that were giving them crap. I kinda zoned out but basically Goff was telling people they really don't care and all of the hockey fans can kiss his ass. Dan backed him up with they didn't watch hockey in AZ becasue they just don't care enough to want to.

I have said it before that they either have hard numbers and management backing them up regarding hockey or they are incredibly stupid to turn off an entire fan segment.

They are just stupid. The generation coming of age in Chicago now doesn't give a fuck about the Bulls, only knows Jordan from Youtube, and is made up of people who revere Kane/Toews the way the last generation revered Jordan and the one before that revered Payton.

Heck, CSN's TV ratings should tell them that more people in market are paying attention to the Hawks (and have been for the last 5 years) than the Bulls.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Goff didn't know Ron Darling didn't dress for a game because of injury. He was embarrassed and immediately started cursing out those who texted him that he wasn't up to date with his hockey info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:41 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Goff didn't know Ron Darling didn't dress for a game because of injury. He was embarrassed and immediately started cursing out those who texted him that he wasn't up to date with his hockey info.
Later others texted saying he was back that game so Goff wins again.

But, are we honestly going to get on ANY host for not knowing that the backup goalie was or wasn't injured in a regular season hockey game?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: None at all
The show is terrible. Last week Goff rambled on and on about whether Butler was "real" or not so I turned it off. Put it on an hour later, and it's Goff talking about Butler being "real" or not. I swore they were replaying the segment, but it was really Goff doing it again. :|

Done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

But, are we honestly going to get on ANY host for not knowing that the backup goalie was or wasn't injured in a regular season hockey game?

Hey,it was the first Hawk game I watched in about 2 years! I noticed the backup goalie's jersey said Glass. So if a novice can pick up on it,so can a 6 figure guy who get's paid to know!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
jimmypasta wrote:

Did he at least know the guy's name?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:53 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

They are just stupid. The generation coming of age in Chicago now doesn't give a fuck about the Bulls, only knows Jordan from Youtube, and is made up of people who revere Kane/Toews the way the last generation revered Jordan and the one before that revered Payton.

Heck, CSN's TV ratings should tell them that more people in market are paying attention to the Hawks (and have been for the last 5 years) than the Bulls.

If my limited market analysis is correct, Chicago kids care about Golden State more than they do the Bulls. Imagine that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 am 

They told you either on their first day or Trump's first day that this would be the show to listen to during these turbulent times. They haven't veered.

Did the station become smarter when they hired a college dropout to co host afternoon drive? I was told it became smarter when they fired one from the position and I wanted to know how the logic worked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

If my limited market analysis is correct, Chicago kids care about Golden State more than they do the Bulls. Imagine that.

That was happening even when I was a kid. I never understood it. I had buddies who were Lakers fans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That was happening even when I was a kid. I never understood it. I had buddies who were Lakers fans.

Just as bad as the bandwagon Packers fans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:00 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:

The NBA markets players. The basketball fan likes to leap about going OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! at any rote dunk. Do the final scores even matter?

It's not like the Great Game where there are deep emotional connections to a team going back through generations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:03 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's not like the Great Game where there are deep emotional connections to a team going back through generations.
Agreed. NBA is all about individual plays and players. MLB is all about individual players and the celebration of records like the home run record and batting .400. The Great Game doesn't care about records but about team accomplishments like the Super Bowl!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Agreed. NBA is all about individual plays and players. MLB is all about individual players and the celebration of records like the home run record and batting .400. The Great Game doesn't care about records but about team accomplishments like the Super Bowl!

You know what the Great Game is. And it's not the one where people discuss the commercials more than what happened on the field after its annual championship television event.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You know what the Great Game is. And it's not the one where people discuss the commercials more than what happened on the field after its annual championship television event.
Ah, this old card.

If you are complaining about fans worrying about "individual accomplishments" regardless of team you should never have mentioned baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Yes. I will give them plenty of latitude for not watching a game (sport they dislike). I give no latitude for not reading a recap or box score.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next