It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
It's weird how it both is and isn't a new show. It's one of Boers & Bernstein, one of their producers co-hosting, another one of their producers doing updates, and a third producer still producing. Jason filled in for Terry for years. The show is basically "hey, remember how we used to do Who You Crappin', Friday Fung, the Tournament of Bad, and play fart noises over interminable press conferences? Well, we don't let ourselves do any of that anymore, but we'll tell you the Cavs play the Blazers at 9:30 tonight and if you don't watch it you're a racist."

So you're telling me that this isn't a recipe for ratings success?

I think their biggest issue is that sports is supposed to be fun. It is why we tune in. When you go out of your way to destroy the fun aspects of it, you alienate the people you should be targeting. That is why W&S, who are still pretty bad to listen to, are beating them soundly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
It's weird how it both is and isn't a new show. It's one of Boers & Bernstein, one of their producers co-hosting, another one of their producers doing updates, and a third producer still producing. Jason filled in for Terry for years. The show is basically "hey, remember how we used to do Who You Crappin', Friday Fung, the Tournament of Bad, and play fart noises over interminable press conferences? Well, we don't let ourselves do any of that anymore, but we'll tell you the Cavs play the Blazers at 9:30 tonight and if you don't watch it you're a racist."
I had forgotten about the Tournament of Bad. I would have thought that would have survived.

It will be interesting to see if they start to try and get a little more focused on ratings though now. I still really want to listen to this show and like it at times but even I sometimes switch to Pandora simply because topics don't interest me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Two month old show not #1 in ratings! Everybody panic!

It's ok, the Cubs will prop up their falling ratings then they can claim ratings superiority again.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's ok, the Cubs will prop up their falling ratings then they can claim ratings superiority again.

The Cubs will push the station's ratings up, but everyone watching will know it's not the on-air talent at the station.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The funny thing is when they blamed the White Sox bad seasons for poor ratings no one believed them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:16 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It will be interesting to see if they start to try and get a little more focused on ratings though now. I still really want to listen to this show and like it at times but even I sometimes switch to Pandora simply because topics don't interest me.

They should be fine by April. My useless advice for that month would be to concentrate on, in descending order, Cubs/Sox, the NFL draft, the Blackhawks in the playoffs (bring on Rozner and/or Rosenbloom for the hour to prop them up), and any fallout from the Bulls season if there finally is any. I'd stfu about LeBron James and the rest of the NBA. No one really cares that much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I never hated B&B. Even in its darkest hour I was still a proud member of the ALS. CH hit the nail on the head, this is essentially B&B without any of what made B&B great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They should be fine by April. My useless advice for that month would be to concentrate on, in descending order, Cubs/Sox, the NFL draft, the Blackhawks in the playoffs (bring on Rozner and/or Rosenbloom for the hour to prop them up), and any fallout from the Bulls season if there finally is any. I'd stfu about LeBron James and the rest of the NBA. No one really cares that much.

Watch it before FF gets here with his empirical data. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

On this last point, if people in this market cared about that stuff, they'd tune into Mike & Mike on WMVP, which happens to be the only show on that station that loses to WSCR.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

So you're telling me that this isn't a recipe for ratings success?

I think their biggest issue is that sports is supposed to be fun. It is why we tune in. When you go out of your way to destroy the fun aspects of it, you alienate the people you should be targeting. That is why W&S, who are still pretty bad to listen to, are beating them soundly.

I do not know for sure but I think it may be possibly that without Boers propping it up it may become apparent to important, smart people that Bernsie way is done. Yelling at callers and twitter strawmen as well as insisting your listeners are dumb racists can only work as a radio business model so long.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 am 

pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

MasturNBAting: (verb) the act of indulging oneself with pseudo-intellectual analysis of out-of-town basketball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:31 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

MasturNBAting: (verb) the act of indulging oneself with pseudo-intellectual analysis of out-of-town basketball

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 am 

And in case for some reason it didn't completely go without saying, if Dan McNeil started using his airtime to floridly prattle on about the physics-redefining beauty of the Red Wings running a left-wing lock against the Boston Bruins, I wouldn't just expect security to remove him from the building, I would call the Score and insist upon it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The funny thing is when they blamed the White Sox bad seasons for poor ratings no one believed them.

Deservedly so as it turns out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:47 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Is it the White Sox fault that they are losing the last few months?

You would think the Cubs season last year would mean new ears would've sampled them and liked what they heard enough to return.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You would think the Cubs season last year would mean new ears would've sampled them and liked what they heard enough to return.

The whole "White Sox are brining us down" is a false flag. They were neither the most popular show on the station nor retained/increased audience from their lead in shows.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The Cubs haven't played a regular season game yet with this show.

We can either say baseball ratings help or hurt The Score. You can't pick and choose it when it fits an agenda.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The Cubs haven't played a regular season game yet with this show.

We can either say baseball ratings help or hurt The Score. You can't pick and choose it when it fits an agenda.

You can only say it is influencing ratings when your time period includes the actual broadcasts of those games. (since ratings publications don't split by day). When there are no games, the ratings you have are the true ratings of your on air talent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
You can only say it is influencing ratings when your time period includes the actual broadcasts of those games. (since ratings publications don't split by day). When there are no games, the ratings you have are the true ratings of your on air talent.
Fair enough. I predict ratings go up in April and May!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yeah, but ratings are still higher when the Bulls play on TNT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 am 

Score is doomed wrote:
Sorry, he is a dumb fuck and bad at radio. Do you truly think he would be on the air if not for EEOC?

To address this:

He's not dumb, not bad at radio, and not An Overpaid Diversity Hire. That being said, I do think the Score wanted to make a star out of Jason because it was starting to get, as the New Englanders say, rahther queer that a sports talker in Chicago was as white as the Score was by the tail end of 2014. Not only were the major dayparts all well-off white guys, this was also the heyday of the mayo-boy B-team: Adam Hog, Connor McDoink, Dan Durkin, etc., etc. You had Laurence in evenings getting pre-empted for play-by-play more often than not and that was it. Without even getting into any legal imperatives, you would think it would be a good idea to have a black host or two. Enter Jason, whose star was rising at the station before he took the gig in Atlanta.

When you consider most of the window-foggers who have been Score producers, Jason is obviously smarter and more talented than the rest. Take that Dustin Rhodes guy from the morning show. You listen to him for ten seconds and you think "wow, this is a very stupid person." I don't know that Jason has the curiosity to pursue the kind of Too Courageous To Stick To Sports show that Dan seems to want to do, or more importantly that a movement incubated in internet sportswriting is even suited to radio in the first place, but maybe he will, and if not, he can fall back on being a likable guy who watches lots of sports, which is all most people want out of their sports talk radio anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No doubt the ratings for the time period (especially when April tends to include more day games) will go up, but it will be the Cubs games that are bringing in the ratings. While the info isn't released to us, I'd love to have the chance to see what the numbers are for B&G and the other shows on days there isn't a game pre-empting the show. I'd suspect they will still trail WMVP on those particular days as the on air talent at WMVP is doing more for that station.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:20 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yeah, but ratings are still higher when the Bulls play on TNT

obvious bait is obvious :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No doubt the ratings for the time period (especially when April tends to include more day games) will go up, but it will be the Cubs games that are bringing in the ratings. While the info isn't released to us, I'd love to have the chance to see what the numbers are for B&G and the other shows on days there isn't a game pre-empting the show. I'd suspect they will still trail WMVP on those particular days as the on air talent at WMVP is doing more for that station.
I think the Cubs will have a major impact. However, when the White Sox were ratings death they used that as an excuse and MANY here didn't want to believe it.

Also, I think B&G are hurt by a bad lead-in. I think these ratings are very bad news for Spiegel if they keep up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I think the Cubs will have a major impact. However, when the White Sox were ratings death they used that as an excuse and MANY here didn't want to believe it.

Also, I think B&G are hurt by a bad lead-in. I think these ratings are very bad news for Spiegel if they keep up.

I think Kap taking over that midday slot at WMVP hurt them more than anything. Kap is the definition of a likable guy. I dislike the Cubs, but I tolerate his Cubs talk because he is just a great host and very personable.

Nothing in WSCR's line-up can match what he delivers. He takes on the last hour of Spiegel and 1st hour of B&G and owns that time period.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Terry's decline in participation gave Dan an opportunity to show more of his "evolved" thoughts, while maintaining high ratings, and gave management the perception that appealing to a "smarter" demographic was the future.

This aspiration goes all the way back to Ron Gleason. The Score's goal was to compete with WBEZ, WXRT, and WFMT (!) for advertisers. They wanted to have, like those stations do, a relatively small but devoted audience with plentiful disposable income and Time Spent Listening numbers that would make your eyes pop out of your head like when the cartoon wolf sees a pretty girl:

Quote:
“The ratings fell apart,” noted one time Program Director Ron Gleason. “Our strongest areas of listenership men 25-54 were in the northern suburbs and DuPage County. We had upscale listeners and our demographics were similar to WBEZ.”

Gleason emphasized that played into a misperception regarding the Score’s listeners.

“We are the epitome of the white collar audience,” Gleason said. “The people that call in, a lot of them are blue collar. Our guys sound blue collar but it is a white collar demographic that listens to us and they are in DuPage County and Lake County. 1160 didn’t reach them at night and it annihilated us. Hundreds and hundreds of calls: ‘We cannot hear you.’ It was the most frustrating thing and it has taken the Score years to get that back.”

However, I've been a WFMT listener longer than I've been a WSCR listener, and I've never heard FMT do a read for David Hochberg where our favorite lender shits in the mouth of some schmuck in Tinley Park for refinancing a loan through Citibank.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:27 am 

The fact is Dan Bernstein headed shows lose in the ratings whenever ESPN chooses to compete.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Curious Hair wrote:
Score is doomed wrote:
Sorry, he is a dumb fuck and bad at radio. Do you truly think he would be on the air if not for EEOC?

To address this:

When you consider most of the window-foggers who have been Score producers, Jason is obviously smarter and more talented than the rest. Take that Dustin Rhodes guy from the morning show. You listen to him for ten seconds and you think "wow, this is a very stupid person."

This much is certainly true. Awful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Don't have much hope for compelling radio during the baseball season. A 2 WAR PLAYER WHO DOES NOT ADVANCE RUNNERS IS STILL A 2 WAR PLAYER. What we'll get is Sox fan/attendance bashing and pity poor Jerry Reinsdorf. He really wants to win.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
MartyD47 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Don't have much hope for compelling radio during the baseball season. A 2 WAR PLAYER WHO DOES NOT ADVANCE RUNNERS IS STILL A 2 WAR PLAYER. What we'll get is Sox fan/attendance bashing and pity poor Jerry Reinsdorf. He really wants to win.

Don't forget to add in how scared white people are to attend games there , courtesy of Goff naturally.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next