It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:51 am 

I'll just spend an entire segment of the show attacking guys who happen to recognize that he was bad last year and this spring training.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:00 am 

and then use the approach of Josh Donaldson as refutation. While, in that same taped Donaldson segment Mark De Rosa said that he had never seen a player use or a coach teach Donaldson's approach in his 16 years of playing professional baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:
and then use the approach of Josh Donaldson as refutation. While, in that same taped Donaldson segment Mark De Rosa said that he had never seen a player use or a coach teach Donaldson's approach in his 16 years of playing professional baseball.

I feel like I heard someone say that they were taking tips about hitting from their agent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I don't even buy Heywards speech being significant in any way, I'm sure a few people spoke and since Heyward is pretty much the only guy that sucked, the players exaggerated his importance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:17 am 

312player wrote:
I don't even buy Heywards speech being significant in any way, I'm sure a few people spoke and since Heyward is pretty much the only guy that sucked, the players exaggerated his importance.

Kinda like the Dancin' Catcher?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 am 

Cashman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I feel like I heard someone say that they were taking tips about hitting from their agent.

Yes. Donaldson said he took info from his agent but I think the guy played in MLB.

The truth about baseball technique is that, in most instances, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

However, the ignorance of Dan and Jason is in both not understanding the guys who were analyzing Heyward nor the Cubs hitting coach (a well traveled guy of no particular renown).

Then, of course, you get the over inflation of how hard the science is behind defensive metrics. 2+2=4 is a repeatable outcome for every single person who calculates the equation. Defensive metrics use subjective factors and therefore may not be repeatable irrespective of the observer. That doesn't mean they are invalid but don't pretend they would stand the test of the scientific method.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Has anyone asked Hayward if he has practiced bunting for a hit? He can add some points to his BA with about 12-16 bunt hits a year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
312player wrote:

Agree 100%

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Was it the greatest speech in the history of team sports, given the magnitude of the situation? I'm not saying it is, but it has to be up there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Was it the greatest speech in the history of team sports, given the magnitude of the situation? I'm not saying it is, but it has to be up there.

The Cubs will probably dump Matt Szczur because of that guy. Now there was a guy who was inspirational AND could hit a little.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:06 am 

312player wrote:

Heyward's play has sucked no doubt. The on field interviews after game 7 players were bringing up Heyward's team meeting,...I don't think they were trying to cover up for his bad performance. Watching last nights Reign Men (or whatever it was called) only called greater attention to that meeting. I don't put a ton of stock in it....but it did happen.

All that said...you know what still pisses me off? Go back and look at Heyward's at bat in the top of the 10th in game 7. It was pathetic. There was one out and the Cubs had a great chance to add more runs (ducks on the pond). They were already up by 2 at that point....but damn if they didn't give up a run in the bottom of the inning and of course let the Indians bring the winning run to the plate. Heyward struck out and looked extremely bad. I don't think the comments the players made after the game were meant to cover that or soothe his feelings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Heyward - the Steve Blass of hitting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
walkrman5 wrote:
312player wrote:

Heyward's play has sucked no doubt. The on field interviews after game 7 players were bringing up Heyward's team meeting,...I don't think they were trying to cover up for his bad performance. Watching last nights Reign Men (or whatever it was called) only called greater attention to that meeting. I don't put a ton of stock in it....but it did happen.

All that said...you know what still pisses me off? Go back and look at Heyward's at bat in the top of the 10th in game 7. It was pathetic. There was one out and the Cubs had a great chance to add more runs (ducks on the pond). They were already up by 2 at that point....but damn if they didn't give up a run in the bottom of the inning and of course let the Indians bring the winning run to the plate. Heyward struck out and looked extremely bad. I don't think the comments the players made after the game were meant to cover that or soothe his feelings.

Genius Joe probably told him to get out fast so they could get to the inning's bottom half and lock it down. :|

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Still, pretty impressive that a guy who was struggling so much with the bat could have so much impact on a World Series title.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 am 

let's not let this devolve into a Heyward thread. This thread is about D and J spending a segment not defending Heyward from those people whom might question him.

I don't think the particularly care about Heyward. They care about where Heyward criticism will lead. This really was just another segment of water carrying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Heyward - the Steve Blass of hitting.

Excellent post....I remember that collapse. It was shocking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 am 

good dolphin wrote:
let's not let this devolve into a Heyward thread. This thread is about D and J spending a segment not defending Heyward from those people whom might question him.

I don't think the particularly care about Heyward. They care about where Heyward criticism will lead. This really was just another segment of water carrying.

Heyward will be under a microscope this year. If he sucks, and he might, and you have guys like Happ, Almora, and others looking for more playing time....It could become a "thing".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Heyward will be under a microscope this year. If he sucks, and he might, and you have guys like Happ, Almora, and others looking for more playing time....It could become a "thing".

Heyward is irrelevant to my point

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Does that mean towards "racism", criticism of Theo, or both?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:

What , to criticize Theo for the signing? It wasn't a good signing even without last years shitfest from him. Everyone knew they overpaid . That's not exactly breaking news .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
jimmypasta wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

The Cubs will probably dump Matt Szczur because of that guy. Now there was a guy who was inspirational AND could hit a little.

I would love for Heyward to put up Szczur's numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:41 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Does that mean towards "racism", criticism of Theo, or both?

criticism of Cub management in general.

Always protect the queen.