It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

For the last 15 years or so, the SCORE has had a rhythm. It was Bernstein and his soldiers. They all pretty much kiss each other's ass. They all have the same opinions. Which are Bernstein's opinions, of course. But nobody attacks within the Bernstein circle. Some shots at Bernstein but Bernstein takes it. That's accepted but Bernstein is the king so it's like kids swinging at Dad. Bernstein laughs it off as "cute". But drinky, Goff and Larry don't attack in their circle as Bernstein's kids.

Parkins ain't about that. That tranny confrontation was basically Goff and Larry telling Parkins to fall in line. That there's a certain way we do things around here. We bash white callers, white people in general, Mike North, Da Ma Na and Murph. That's it!!!! Our group is off limits.

Parkins pretty much said, "Fuck that. I'm not falling in line."

I think it absolutely has stunned Larry and Goff that he hasn't and will not fall in line.

Interesting to see where this goes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
15 years of Team Bernstein? Check your math: that takes you back to the days of Murph & Fred and the Wise Guys. Dan's hegemony didn't start till North was gone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
15 years of Team Bernstein? Check your math: that takes you back to the days of Murph & Fred and the Wise Guys. Dan's hegemony didn't start till North was gone.

Fine. 10 years. I was trying to make a greater point than the years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It's worth noting that Parkins was an intern for Danny Mac. I'll bet he's heard enough stories from him as McNeil did say on the podcast he did with Dr. Ken that Parkins has called him with questions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
It's worth noting that Parkins was an intern for Danny Mac. I'll bet he's heard enough stories from him as McNeil did say on the podcast he did with Dr. Ken that Parkins has called him with questions.

True. I wish Parkins had picked up more guy-talk stuff from Mac, though. Didn't he say he doesn't even listen to music? What a weirdo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Parkins knows Larry n Goff are chumps, he couldn't care less what either of those pussies think. Mitch needs to hire another couple out of town guys and replace Spiegal, Goff n Larry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

Strange thing is that Bernstein likes Parkins more than Larry, Goff and drinky. Those guys don't realize that. Or they don't want to admit it to themselves.

I noticed a subtle thing from Goff. Bernstein was gushing over Parkins for something he did or said. I forget the specifics. But Goff bucked up and quickly dismissed the praise. He didn't like that daddy has a new favorite.

THE SCORE IS A WEIRD PLACE WITH DISTURBED PEOPLE.

Worse than message board people.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Larry, Goff & Drinky:Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

True. I wish Parkins had picked up more guy-talk stuff from Mac, though. Didn't he say he doesn't even listen to music? What a weirdo.

I literally couldn't possibly imagine not listening to music, barring deafness.

That's six weeks past bizarre.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:25 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Goff bucked up and quickly dismissed the praise.

"(sigh) If you heard the Score's new midday show, our own Danny Parkins really did...an exemplary job exploring the...the deeper social constructs of the NBA."
" :shock: well well well I heard he was exploring the corner of Sheridan and North Halsted! S'all right there!"
"I...don't think that's even...I mean, logistically, it...(sigh) can't even...connote what I think you inten--"
"nah it's good it's good, I didn't say anything, just playin'. You know I love Danny."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spiegel is also against "Team Bernstein". We've all heard his wars with Bernstein. And the famous "Part timer" war with drinky. But he's never taken on Goff or Larry. Truth be told, Spiegel is scared that they'll think he's a racist if he challenges/criticizes them. Goff and Larry have that over all the crackers at the SCORE and they know it. They use it.

So Spiegel will handle Drinky and Bernstein. Parkins will handle Larry and Goff.

The SHOW WARS have begun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He has gambling, strip clubs and dope from Mac so that is some.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Danny's
Show Wars would make the Score much more fun than its current sad state! I'd definitely tune in for that shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Mac: I raised him well. :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

No doubt about it. Goff and Larry think Parkins is a racist. For reasons given above. If you stand up to them, you're a racist in their minds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Beardown wrote:
No doubt about it. Goff and Larry think Parkins is a racist. For reasons given above. If you stand up to them, you're a racist in their minds.

Racist? Nah...both are threatened by him and jealous of his confidence, he's been here a month and he's the best host at the station, he's also not a hyper sensitive pussy, like the rest of the clowns at the score. Larry been kissing ass for 20 years and he's a part time turd that gets a one year deal on the cheap every year, Parkins has actual job security with a real contract.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
312player wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Racist? Nah...both are threatened by him and jealous of his confidence, he's been here a month and he's the best host at the station, he's also not a hyper sensitive pussy, like the rest of the clowns at the score. Larry been kissing ass for 20 years and he's a part time turd that gets a one year deal on the cheap every year, Parkins has actual job security with a real contract.

He's definitely not a pussy like them. He's the type of person that if he were to post here, he'd probably last and dish it back

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
312player wrote:
Beardown wrote:

He's definitely not a pussy like them. He's the type of person that if he were to post here, he'd probably last and dish it back

No doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 pm 

As far as New Trier debate team superstars go, he seems fairly normal. Certainly not as neurotic and bitchy as the rest of the Score guys. I would probably like him in real life, but whether that will make for good Score radio remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

312player wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Good point. They are jealous. Especially Larry. Daddy Mitch chose the Parkins boy over Larry. That stings Larry. We heard this in that tranny conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Da Ma Na on the current state of the SCORE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMx-Lv_eZ3s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:34 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Bernstien has been at the score how long now? 15/20 years? something in between? But i still don't hear him considered one of Chicago's sports radio legends or superstars. Think of other guys in chicago sports journalism and if they stay at a place a long time theyre at least respected : Talender for example.

Is it just because nobody still takes the Score seriously ? even when they got the Cubs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:34 am 

More than 20. He was on the Bears beat when Wannstedt was the coach.

I think you have to consider him a Chicago radio superstar/legend on longevity alone. Who else has held the same timeslot uninterrupted since the 20th century? Eric and Kathy, Lin Brehmer, and Terri Hemmert are all I can come up with. Roe Conn came close, Dahl has been mostly here or there since then but he was already a legend by then, Herb Kent (the Cool Gent!) did until he died recently, even the notoriously hidebound 720 lineup has been shaken up since '99. So he has that going for him, which is nice. (EDIT: Rush Limbaugh is syndicated, so he doesn't count.)

The criticism I had of Dan for years was that unlike a lot of other incendiary radio personalities, he scarcely put his own ass on the line like Stern or Dahl or even Mac and North. The only times he got slapped on the dick were the boobs tweet and the time he strongly implied all the Blackhawks have plowed Cheryl Scott, which was also a tweet. We all enjoy a little line-'em-up-knock-'em-down with the idiot callers from time to time, but ultimately, a quick-witted angry radio host who goes to war with regular folks in defense of team management (as long as the team isn't the Blackhawks) wears a little thin. The net result is something like a psychedelic rock band that supports the Vietnam War.

I dunno. Dan has done a lot of good radio and a lot of bad radio. He certainly has to count for something in the timeline of Chicago radio.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Bernstien has been at the score how long now? 15/20 years? something in between? But i still don't hear him considered one of Chicago's sports radio legends or superstars. Think of other guys in chicago sports journalism and if they stay at a place a long time theyre at least respected : Talender for example.

Is it just because nobody still takes the Score seriously ? even when they got the Cubs?

You're on to something with that. I've always had the impression that his impact is overstated by people that post here more than anything. Bernstein isn't really considered much of an authority by anyone when it comes to sports. He really isn't considered an authority when it comes to sports consciousness or social/sports consciousness.

If he were then he'd be a go to guy for all things Chicago sports. He isn't. He is merely a guy with a radio show in Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
If they think Danny is trouble, just wait until this guy replaces Spiegs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzddAYYDZkk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
at some point, probably soon, Parkins is going to absolutely go scorched earth on Bernstein on an issue. And it's going to be what rejuvenates the Score and its dynamics. The Score has always worked best with some heavy fighting between shows. And neither of those guys is going to back down from a fight. Parkins is everything Dan is but he takes it up one more notch than Dan is willing to do...he's ok to openly antagonize management. Dan has always laughed at management but never really challenged them directly (see the Bilbo Baggins song, imitating Rod doing contract negotiations). Dan's smart enough to realize, even more than the listeners, when a host has a more go-for-broke mentality than he does.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:
at some point, probably soon, Parkins is going to absolutely go scorched earth on Bernstein on an issue. And it's going to be what rejuvenates the Score and its dynamics. The Score has always worked best with some heavy fighting between shows. And neither of those guys is going to back down from a fight. Parkins is everything Dan is but he takes it up one more notch than Dan is willing to do...he's ok to openly antagonize management. Dan has always laughed at management but never really challenged them directly (see the Bilbo Baggins song, imitating Rod doing contract negotiations). Dan's smart enough to realize, even more than the listeners, when a host has a more go-for-broke mentality than he does.

That's a good call. I also think a Goff vs. Parkins thing is gonna happen too.

All of Bernstein's soldiers hate Parkins. That's clear.

I get the impression that Parkins knows that he's hated and actually likes it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm 
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Did you know he likes to gamble?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
if they want ratings to go up, hire back murph and give him a weekly show after bernsie.

or better yet

The Murphy and Danny Mac show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Beardown wrote:
Strange thing is that Bernstein likes Parkins more than Larry, Goff and drinky. Those guys don't realize that. Or they don't want to admit it to themselves..

wait a minute....you're saying that the reigning FOTS actually likes people who aren't wholly-transparent suck-ups and kiss-asses to him....quite possibly because he might actually respect them because they're not essentially lesser-versions-of-Himself? GET OUTTA HERE BEERDOWN!